Options

Replies

• blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    jenjay8045 wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Just putting this out there...If you do a low carb lifestyle, eventually you will run out of this "water weight" You cannot lose 85 pounds of "just" water weight in 6 months. How do I know???? Because I am living freaking proof! UGH. So tired of all these so called experts here....OP if LOw carb helps keep you balanced, do it and when you eat your carbs eat the good ones found in fres veggies and quality grains... Best of luck! :)

No kidding. No one has said that.

No they didnt say that specifically but several posts said the weight lost from low carb was just water weight. So my response was I have been doing low carb for roughly 6 months with occasional cheat meals and once in a while a complete all out carb fests. Yet I am still losing as soon as I eat on plan again.

The initial drop in weight from low carb is usually water weight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I don't understand where a certain poster in this thread is coming from with her blanket ideas on middle aged women. In the throes of menopause here. I have CFS, fibromyalgia, a dodgy thyroid, and psoriatic arthritis, so I know from fatigue. And guess what? My body rebelled against eating low carb.

I've done Atkins and paleo. I'm now a moderate carb, high-protein vegetarian and feel better for it. And I'm losing weight. I also exercise, even with my medical conditions. My loss might be slow, but it's happening.

This is what works for me. I'm not going to come on here and pretend that my age or my conditions or anything made me overweight other than eating too much food (well, 30 extra pounds did happen the last time my thyroid tanked). And the only thing that is going to fix the problem is eating less and moving more. I eat the way I do because I digest this type of food well and I enjoy what I eat. That's it.

To the people who feel better doing lower carb... that's great! But it's not some magic bullet. It's still CICO.

said poster admitted to making idiotic statements in an attempt to get "attention"....

How did I miss that post and catch her drift that low carbing was the answer to middle age? :o Well, nevermind my post then!

well I think she is still serious, but tried to play it off on that when called out..so feel free to blast away...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    OP if LOw carb helps keep you balanced, do it and when you eat your carbs eat the good ones found in fres veggies and quality grains... Best of luck! :)

Veggies and grains are the only "good" carbs?
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    If you guys have it all worked out then write a book - you will make a fortune.

I did not say "no one can eat at a surplus and lose"

and there is no clear answer to "how do I believe people lose weight, long term, and maintain it" - if I knew I would write a book - and make a fortune.

Nah CICO won't sell books or dvd's or anything else....too many free sites like MFP.
    Plus telling someone they have to be accountable for their own Dietary intake isn't what most people want to hear.

Right? People like to hear they need to buy a shiny juicer or make smoothies to cleanse themselves of their toxins. No one wants to hear..eat less by weighing and measuring your foods to make sure you're not eating in a surplus.

..that would be a pretty short book.

You say that but weight watchers has made a fair few quid on books!

1) Are paleo and such diets excellently marketed - yes

2) Do I wish I came up with the marketing strategy of paleo - yes

3) Do people actually follow the diet because of cavemen - no

4) Is paleo in 2013 & 2014 the largest researched diet on google - yes

5) Is it a healthy diet - yes

What's the problem?

Why does it offend you guys so much?

I'm sure the people following it don't think in such one dimensional thought patterns.

I don't know what your point was..but you only reinforced mine. A lot of people want the gimmick. Weight watchers points..gimmick. Paleos eat the way nature first intended..gimmick.

I didn't say anything was unhealthy or people shouldn't eat which ever way they choose (or whatever suits their personal or medical needs). I'm not offended. I eat lchf..ketogenic. Eating that way still doesn't negate the simplicity of calorie in calorie out. Eating that way just helps me moreso than eating more carbs because I have a medical condition..plus, personally, the fat helps keep me full longer and my calories lower.

My point was just re-enforcing yours.

But you seemed to think that IIFYM, or other calorie counting diets weren't gimmicky they are.

Nothing wrong with gimmicky - if it gets people doing what they need to do to be healthy!

Most things we do are driven by gimmicky things.

What did I seem to think? I said nothing about iifym. I was speaking only about CICO and how short of a book just that one concept would be. I didn't mention specifics because that is where the gimmicks come in. To stay within a deficit..one needs to count calories to ensure they stay in their deficit, correct? Correct.

I wasn't talking about paleo, keto, iifym.. I was talking basic calorie in calorie out with whatever food is being consumed whether it fits your macros/diet rules or not.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    i am 27 3 kids under 5 go to work, still workout try to eat well but sometimes let food choices get in the way. its not an excuse but when pushed to your limits and your tired. me personally i grab the wrong foods. i hadnt yet learnt that for me i cant eat what i want or the types of foods i want. now my work friend she gorges on mcdonalds every sunday and is as thin as a stick. then i have to keep reminding myself she is thin but unhealthy. but it would be nice to have a thin toned body but also a healthy heart.

i had issues before the babies but the babies made it worse since dieting when pregnant is not an option and working out was hard on my body ( i had severe pelvic pain)

can i just add, since dropping the carb level to 90 increasing fat to 53 and protein to 90 i feel great today, not bloated, better food choices, more water and managed to do my 30 day shred without almost crying!!
    Weight loss is a LOT more than CICO which is one important factor of weight loss...
    Gale, with all due respect, the above statement is misinformation. CICO is the only qualifying factor to weight loss, because if you don't eat less than you burn you will not lose weight. Any other factors have to do with personal preferences or medical conditions that need to be addressed.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    i am 27 3 kids under 5 go to work, still workout try to eat well but sometimes let food choices get in the way. its not an excuse but when pushed to your limits and your tired. me personally i grab the wrong foods. i hadnt yet learnt that for me i cant eat what i want or the types of foods i want. now my work friend she gorges on mcdonalds every sunday and is as thin as a stick. then i have to keep reminding myself she is thin but unhealthy. but it would be nice to have a thin toned body but also a healthy heart.

i had issues before the babies but the babies made it worse since dieting when pregnant is not an option and working out was hard on my body ( i had severe pelvic pain)

can i just add, since dropping the carb level to 90 increasing fat to 53 and protein to 90 i feel great today, not bloated, better food choices, more water and managed to do my 30 day shred without almost crying!!
    Weight loss is a LOT more than CICO which is one important factor of weight loss...
    Gale, with all due respect, the above statement is misinformation. CICO is the only qualifying factor to weight loss, because if you don't eat less than you burn you will not lose weight. Any other factors have to do with personal preferences or medical conditions that need to be addressed.

[/thread]
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Except I eat bacon every day as well without a diet such as keto. ANY diet should be able to incorporate bacon daily if someone wants it to.

Works for me. While bacon is not always can handy in my case I keep the thing next to it handy. That is pork skins that have NO carbs but some tasty fat and protein. :)

• MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Be aware of energy intake, be aware of energy output, adjust accordingly to balance. Pay me.

PAY MEEEEEE!!!! haha forreal

• LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    i had bacon sausage and egg for breakfast this morning with mushrooms and tomatoes.... very low carb and not so bad on fat as it was all grilled. no carby filled breakfast for me

Morning rachylouise, have just woken up and apparently I have said lots of things whilst I was asleep. :) I have a really busy day coming up so I won't bother to answer most of the rubbish that is being said.

Your breakfast sounds awesome and how good does it make you feel! Sets you up for a great day. Basically, I follow a Paleo style diet but I actually like to think Paleo follows me as I have been eating this way for most of my life, long before I ever heard of Paleo. However, I used to eat wheat but over the past few years I found it caused digestion problems and so I want to eliminate it completely from my diet as it does seem to have become my enemy.

Anyway, have a great day!!
  • LeenaGee
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I don't understand where a certain poster in this thread is coming from with her blanket ideas on middle aged women. In the throes of menopause here. I have CFS, fibromyalgia, a dodgy thyroid, and psoriatic arthritis, so I know from fatigue. And guess what? My body rebelled against eating low carb.

I've done Atkins and paleo. I'm now a moderate carb, high-protein vegetarian and feel better for it. And I'm losing weight. I also exercise, even with my medical conditions. My loss might be slow, but it's happening.

This is what works for me. I'm not going to come on here and pretend that my age or my conditions or anything made me overweight other than eating too much food (well, 30 extra pounds did happen the last time my thyroid tanked). And the only thing that is going to fix the problem is eating less and moving more. I eat the way I do because I digest this type of food well and I enjoy what I eat. That's it.

To the people who feel better doing lower carb... that's great! But it's not some magic bullet. It's still CICO.

I have no blanket idea on middle aged woman or any other age group and to say so is untrue. My example in using a menopausal woman was to show how hormones can effect weight. Even you mentioned how you put on weight when "your thyroid tanked." I sure you didn't use it as an excuse but I bet it was a factor.

Good luck with your CFS and other medical problems and I am glad that they are not slowing you down. I believe in listening to your body and if it rebels against low carb then that is fine. I do what works for me and I encourage people to do the same for themselves. Hey most of my friends are menopausal so I know how active and vibrant they are in the "throes" of it all so I would never put them down. :)
  • LeenaGee
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hi tennisdude, welcome to the discussion.

Hope you are enjoying a nice red tonight. Can't wait to be kicking back tonight and joining you in that drink. Cheers. :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i had bacon sausage and egg for breakfast this morning with mushrooms and tomatoes.... very low carb and not so bad on fat as it was all grilled. no carby filled breakfast for me

Morning rachylouise, have just woken up and apparently I have said lots of things whilst I was asleep. :) I have a really busy day coming up so I won't bother to answer most of the rubbish that is being said.

Your breakfast sounds awesome and how good does it make you feel! Sets you up for a great day. Basically, I follow a Paleo style diet but I actually like to think Paleo follows me as I have been eating this way for most of my life, long before I ever heard of Paleo. However, I used to eat wheat but over the past few years I found it caused digestion problems and so I want to eliminate it completely from my diet as it does seem to have become my enemy.

Anyway, have a great day!!

funny considering most of the rubbish is coming from your posts…

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

I have no blanket idea on middle aged woman or any other age group and to say so is untrue. My example in using a menopausal woman was to show how hormones can effect weight. Even you mentioned how you put on weight when "your thyroid tanked." I sure you didn't use it as an excuse but I bet it was a factor.

Good luck with your CFS and other medical problems and I am glad that they are not slowing you down. I believe in listening to your body and if it rebels against low carb then that is fine. I do what works for me and I encourage people to do the same for themselves. Hey most of my friends are menopausal so I know how active and vibrant they are in the "throes" of it all so I would never put them down. :)

You know what? I got my thyroid fixed. I still weighed too much. I ate too much. It's still CICO.

Menopause and metabolism might slow? It's still CICO. You were saying earlier that it's more complicated than CICO and it's NOT.

If you're going to claim that the composition of the calories in makes any difference in that equation to the point that they negate the effect of the second half, you're dead wrong. And I'm sorry, but some of your earlier posts sure sounded like that's what you were driving at.

• hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    We all need some carbs, but too much of anything can be bad. Try splitting your carb intake into some fruit and vegis to balance it out.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Just putting this out there...If you do a low carb lifestyle, eventually you will run out of this "water weight" You cannot lose 85 pounds of "just" water weight in 6 months. How do I know???? Because I am living freaking proof! UGH. So tired of all these so called experts here....OP if LOw carb helps keep you balanced, do it and when you eat your carbs eat the good ones found in fres veggies and quality grains... Best of luck! :)

No kidding. No one has said that.

No they didnt say that specifically but several posts said the weight lost from low carb was just water weight. So my response was I have been doing low carb for roughly 6 months with occasional cheat meals and once in a while a complete all out carb fests. Yet I am still losing as soon as I eat on plan again.

The initial drop in weight from low carb is usually water weight.

livestrong.com/article/309135-can-a-high-carb-diet-cause-you-to-retain-water/

Article that covers that point.

• ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    So in other words, all the people that claim they are losing weight when they cut out junk carbs and sugar, but are still eating a similar amount of calories, are delusional or don't know how to count?

Who are these people who claim to do so, and what are "junk carbs"?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

So in other words, all the people that claim they are losing weight when they cut out junk carbs and sugar, but are still eating a similar amount of calories, are delusional or don't know how to count?

I think the message from these people is that by cutting out the - less nutrient rich carbs - from their diets, it helped them get into a calorie deficit and thus have lost weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Yes

they are just reaching a calorie defecit by a different method

eat 2500 calories of chocolate or 2500 calories of poached organic chicken and wild brocolli daily and expend 2000 calories and you'll still put on the same amount of weight over the long term

This discussion has been closed.