Eating at restaurants used to be fun, now it's kind of stressful.

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    this whole thread just makes me sad...

Definitely this.
    First the doesn't need to be any more rules/laws demanding restaurants to put nutritional information. These changes would put many of my favorite mom & pop places out of business.

Second, when I'm going out to eat depending on my goals at the time I pick based on what I've learned and make an educated choice. So if for one week I stall my weight loss it's not a big deal in the long term.

Also, if I'm going out I'm going for the full experience and I don't make every decision on my life based on calories / weight loss.

You know there already are these laws right? And mom and pop places are currently exempt. I doubt doing some counting would put them out of business.

It depends on how much it costs to make up all new menus with the calorie counts. Then if they have their menu online they have to pay their web developer to redo the site to show the calorie counts there too. Restaurant margins run pretty thin so yeah, if it's a really small place it could put a huge cramp in their finances.
    And something like a five year roll out would make that easier.
    Everyone eating at chains is going to hurt their bottom line more.

Sorry that you go to restaurants that offer the same stuff for 5 years straight

No not everyone eats at chains, some of us also love the smaller restaurants that change frequently and offer a wide variety. Because I don't need the government, the restaurant or anyone else to tell me what I should or shouldn't eat.

Also comparing restaurant food to mass produced packaged food is very different, it's not constantly changing

But since all you ever like to do is argue and take no personal responsibility this discussion is probably useless

Wow. Best of luck on your continued journey.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    What's the five year turn over of restaurants I wonder.

50% of all restaurants that open fail in the first five years.

Last I read, that was one-two years, not five. Then the remainder are closed in general before their 4th anniversary.
    So a five year roll out should be pretty feasible as it would be primarily new restaurants. Heck even a grandfathering.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Well I like the idea of places in general providing calorie information. It's more information for consumers, and information you can't get on your own. However, there needs to be a balance and if it's an undue burden on small businesses that's an important factor as well. I don't personally know enough of running a restaurant to say whether this is feasible, although I could see there being ways to do this that are not incredibly burdensome. Whether or not it's by government mandate, it's still a laudable goal.

But then again, I'm a dirty liberal :) And an obesity researcher. :)

Agree. No need for an undue hardship.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Definitely this.
    First the doesn't need to be any more rules/laws demanding restaurants to put nutritional information. These changes would put many of my favorite mom & pop places out of business.

Second, when I'm going out to eat depending on my goals at the time I pick based on what I've learned and make an educated choice. So if for one week I stall my weight loss it's not a big deal in the long term.

Also, if I'm going out I'm going for the full experience and I don't make every decision on my life based on calories / weight loss.

You know there already are these laws right? And mom and pop places are currently exempt. I doubt doing some counting would put them out of business.

It depends on how much it costs to make up all new menus with the calorie counts. Then if they have their menu online they have to pay their web developer to redo the site to show the calorie counts there too. Restaurant margins run pretty thin so yeah, if it's a really small place it could put a huge cramp in their finances.

No not everyone eats at chains, some of us also love the smaller restaurants that change frequently and offer a wide variety. Because I don't need the government, the restaurant or anyone else to tell me what I should or shouldn't eat.

Also comparing restaurant food to mass produced packaged food is very different, it's not constantly changing

But since all you ever like to do is argue and take no personal responsibility this discussion is probably useless

Again it has nothing to do with luck
  • derkin2005
    derkin2005 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Restaurants do make things difficult, but I am not above asking the weight of the meat in a sandwich or much cheese was used if they don't like it I won't come back.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Definitely this.

I agree. It's a bit mind boggling that you keep getting wished lucked when you've said (and proven) that it's not about luck but accountability and knowledge. It's rather demeaning to keep insinuating that the only way to succeed and to maintain that success is by the roll of the dice rather than taking responsibility for what you do.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    We are lucky in Ontario Canada that law requires chains with more than15 or 20 restaurants to publish their nutritional information.
    The downside is after reading what I am eating I don't at most of them any more. The upside is you find a few gems.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    We are lucky in Ontario Canada that law requires chains with more than15 or 20 restaurants to publish their nutritional information.
    The downside is after reading what I am eating I don't at most of them any more. The upside is you find a few gems.

This is basically what will be the situation in the U.S. Soon. Knowledge and information. Always a good thing to have access to. Cheers
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Definitely this.

I agree. It's a bit mind boggling that you keep getting wished lucked when you've said (and proven) that it's not about luck but accountability and knowledge. It's rather demeaning to keep insinuating that the only way to succeed and to maintain that success is by the roll of the dice rather than taking responsibility for what you do.

Exactly. But look at the source ....

If I had relied on luck I would have been in lots of trouble.. cause only luck I have is bad. Now personal responsibility, dedication and time that I have lots of. I'll leave the luck to people ruining C3PO for me
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Definitely this.

If I had relied on luck I would have been in lots of trouble.. cause only luck I have is bad. Now personal responsibility, dedication and time that I have lots of. I'll leave the luck to people ruining C3PO for me

Somewhere along the way I apparently did something to upset you. Apologies. For whatever that was. Apparently it stuck with you.
  • dawn0293
    dawn0293 Posts: 115 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It's not the restaurants fault that people are obese but it's much easier to place the blame on some establishment rather than the people themselves

While no one is forcing people to eat at a restaurant, the establishments do decide how unhealthy they choose to make their fare and do not need to make that information available to the public. Restaurants can go overboard in substituting a heavy amount of sugars and fats to make up for a lack of quality ingredients or just because fat tastes good so they figure more fat will be even better! It makes it difficult to determine exactly how much excess fat or calories you are eating, even if another restaurant offers a similar dish and you know their nutritional content. It's very tricky.
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize with this. I try to always go to applebees or something where I can at least order off their lower calorie menu. It sucks tho, because I'd love to go to local restaurants or olive garden and splurge like I used to but its not worth the headache unless its a special outing with family or a celebration.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    dawn0293 wrote: »
    It's not the restaurants fault that people are obese but it's much easier to place the blame on some establishment rather than the people themselves

While no one is forcing people to eat at a restaurant, the establishments do decide how unhealthy they choose to make their fare and do not need to make that information available to the public. Restaurants can go overboard in substituting a heavy amount of sugars and fats to make up for a lack of quality ingredients or just because fat tastes good so they figure more fat will be even better! It makes it difficult to determine exactly how much excess fat or calories you are eating, even if another restaurant offers a similar dish and you know their nutritional content. It's very tricky.

supply and demand...they serve what people want to eat and what people are willing to open there wallets up for.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

WHAT???

They make delicious food.

If they make crappy food- it doesn't sell.

its' not "unhealthy" just because it's high calorie- it's just high calorie.

re-evaluate my friend. Time to re-evaluate.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What a sad, pathetic mindset some have. I go to restaurants a fair amount, they never ever have nutrition information, yet somehow I am able to lose weight when I need to.

Lol at only chicken or salmon are "safe"
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

Definitely this.

Somewhere along the way I apparently did something to upset you. Apologies. For whatever that was. Apparently it stuck with you.

Not upset at all, and no apologies are needed well maybe for ruining c3po for me...
  • dawn0293
    dawn0293 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    WHAT???

Delicious does not equate with healthy food. Really, it doesn't. I didn't say anything about high calorie fare. I said that some place bump up the taste of their food by adding as much extra fat and sugar as they can get away with because that combo is a cheaper way of making some food tastier. So, just because restaurant A has an item on it's menu that's a certain amount of calories, it doesn't mean that the same dish from restaurant B is even going to be in the same ball park as it's ingredients and measurements could be vastly different. It makes it harder to make educated guesses.

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »

This is basically what will be the situation in the U.S. Soon. Knowledge and information. Always a good thing to have access to. Cheers

Yaaaaaaay unnecessary, government mandated costs, thrust upon business? For things that have already been shown to not change consumer behavior? This is something you encourage?
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    What a sad, pathetic mindset some have. I go to restaurants a fair amount, they never ever have nutrition information, yet somehow I am able to lose weight when I need to.

Lol at only chicken or salmon are "safe"

But my chicken was delicious last night!! I also grubbed on hella more food besides my chicken tho. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    WHAT???

Delicious does not equate with healthy food. Really, it doesn't. I didn't say anything about high calorie fare. I said that some place bump up the taste of their food by adding as much extra fat and sugar as they can get away with because that combo is a cheaper way of making some food tastier. So, just because restaurant A has an item on it's menu that's a certain amount of calories, it doesn't mean that the same dish from restaurant B is even going to be in the same ball park as it's ingredients and measurements could be vastly different. It makes it harder to make educated guesses.

but you're already setting out with a piss poor attitude that some how because it's chalk full of delicious fat- it's unhealthy.... and you are negative to start "they decide how unhealthy they are going to make it? what does that even mean?? They aren't making healthy or unhealthy food- they are making food to sell- and hopefully it's delicious.

So you're saying unhealthy food is not delicious?

I just don't understand your fussiness with claiming it's "unhealthy" because it's got fat and sugar in it? or it's high calorie- or whatever it is that you're claiming unhealthy is (which can we narrow that definition down for me since you seem vague on that).

Of course they aren't going to be the same- no one said- but you pick one that's an average- and guess high.

And go on about your merry way.