Replies

• DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    REFINED SUGAR IS DEADLY
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Back in the first half of the year I happened to read online about the Schaub family who went sugar free, and their health and energy improved. I thought I'd try this since I do have a few health and energy issues. I have no idea how long I'll last, but I thought I'd give it a try. Are there any others of you who will do the same?

What are your underlying heath conditions, OP? If they don't require you to eliminate sugar from your diet, I'm not sure what additional health benefits you can possibly achieve by cutting out sugar completely. Sugar is not evil, toxic, or detrimental, if consumed in moderation.
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm going fad diet-free for 2015.
  • gadoal
    gadoal Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sugar free? No way! I suggest to combine honey and stevia...you will feel the difference
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    two points from being a pre diabetic....trying but I got a waffle maker for Christmas!
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Trying to as much as possible. I should do good all year up until Thanksgiving/Christmas time though. I don't eat much fruit, so it should be easy (I mainly eat the low gi ones - berries, blueberry mostly).
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    REFINED SUGAR IS DEADLY

Explain?
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    i don't know this family's story, but did they switch from a standard American diet to a mainly whole foods diet with lots of vegetables?

I haven't cut out all sugar (I still eat a ton of fruit) but I have switched to a very high nutrient diet as a way to help treat my autoimmune disease. I would guess about 60% of my food ( by volume, maybe not calories) is fruits and vegetables and the difference in my health and energy is amazing. I don't really eat added fats and sugars anymore, not because I think they are necessarily bad, but because I'd rather "spend" my calories on something with plenty of micronutrients and some fibre to fill me up.

It seems clear to me that humans have evolved to run on sugar. I wonder if the benefits they saw were due to the increase in fibre, vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients in their diet, rather than cutting out the body's preferred energy source.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Back in the first half of the year I happened to read online about the Schaub family who went sugar free, and their health and energy improved. I thought I'd try this since I do have a few health and energy issues. I have no idea how long I'll last, but I thought I'd give it a try. Are there any others of you who will do the same?

Losing weight in and of itself will improve your overall health. The removal of sugar has little to do with it.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    If it means switching sugar for artificial sweeteners, which taste terrible IMO, I'd rather stick to sugar. Plus I love fruit. No way I could give that up.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    REFINED SUGAR IS DEADLY

Explain?
    Duh, everyone who has ever eaten sugar has like died or something. So like, it's dangerous and stuff.

Ah, so just like water is deadly. Thanks.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    ljmorgi wrote: »
    I'm going fad diet-free for 2015.

^^ LOVE this :-D
  • upforthecount
    upforthecount Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to call it sugar free, but I am giving up "sweets" and other foods with added sugar as much as possible for the rest of my life.
    Last week, at the doctor's office, I read an article about sugar addiction in Reader's digest - www(dot)rd(dot)com(slash)health(slash)diet-weight-loss(slash)sugar-addiction. After seeing my self described in the article, I decided to stop eating foods with added sugar. It's been 1 week as of today. I love sweets, but I am unable to eat them in moderation. For me, the best solution is to avoid the sweets altogether and kick my addiction to sugar.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    No. I refuse to restrict myself. I always fail when I do it. This time I have not restricted anything and am 6 months in and almost 40lbs down. My way is working for me.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Except that most things that claim to be 'sugar-free' contain other kinds of artificial sweeteners which is more of a concern to me than the sugar.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nope, I like sugar!