Anyone else going sugar free in 2015?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    OP: you state you have some medical and energy issues. Rather than trying to 'self diagnose/treat', especially using a source that is not credible, have you discussed these issues with your doctor? Not asking what they are as its your business - but has your doctor told you to give up sugar?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    And look at all the new accounts popping up. It's January so it's not surprising. It is funny that the group demonizing sugar belong to the same demographic.

Yeah, don't miss your chance to mock new people signing up on the site. Way to make them feel welcome and comfortable posting their questions. Whether those questions are about sugar, raspberry keytones, starvation mode, carb limitation, heart rate monitoring or anything else that the resident experts all agree on. They're all such idiots, aren't they MrM27?

He didn't call the new people idiots ... he noted a correlation between those with new accounts and believing/posting dubious information.

There is a major difference.

I'm sure they're relieved to know that they've now been correlated properly. As they will undoubtedly continue to be in any other threads he or you post in.
    You're the one who labeled the new people as idiots. That wasn't MrM27 or me.

Many people arrive here with a foundation built on misinformation and dubious sources. It's the new year, a time when millions make resolutions to lose weight, get into shape, etc. That new people would parrot a sugar is evil message when they haven't seen the facts yet is an expected position. Now they can learn and succeed rather than proceed on bad information that only leads to failure.

• bakingforlife
    bakingforlife Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    im trying fruit and veggies for 21 days .i eat this way as a rule but get out of control on the desert need to get back to not having cookies cake chips and also other problem is just plain over eating them .addicted
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    original.jpg

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

This is a sugar thread, and there are certain expectations that need to be upheld. Twinkie diets, rat studies, fructose, added sugar vs natural sugar, insulin, sugar with and without fiber, Lustig, Fed Up, etc. Derailing this sugar thread will cause our batting average to get all out of whack.

Please get back on topic or take it to PM. Thank you, and Happy New Year.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Back in the first half of the year I happened to read online about the Schaub family who went sugar free, and their health and energy improved. I thought I'd try this since I do have a few health and energy issues. I have no idea how long I'll last, but I thought I'd give it a try. Are there any others of you who will do the same?

I did it Oct 2014 because I learned sugar is toxic to my body.

Tried to cut back in Aug-Sept but no luck so I got ticked and when off sugar cold turkey start of Oct.

Thought I was going to die the first two weeks but I was facing a cancer risk if I got on the injections for pain management for my arthritis so the cancer risk drove me to stay off of sugar.

After two weeks the carb cravings just left. My 7-8+ pain level is like 2-3 now on a scale of 1-10. I plan to stay at <50 grams of carbs daily which means no sugar until I die.

Remember I had abused carbs for 40 years and sugar had wrecked my health so breaking my addiction was not easy.

Best of luck and doing it can save you a lot of grief if you plan to live to be old.

Just an off topic aside, the "cancer risk" from Embrel? About .22% Please note the decimal point. As a person who takes a class of the drug you eschewed, I really, really take issue with how casually you spout misinformation about the risks from it AND about how eliminating carbs can miraculously effect inflammatory arthritis. You're probably just not flaring right now. The only KNOWN and proven ways to get results with inflammatory arthritis pain are anti-TNF therapy, NSAIDS and exercise.

So many people with autoimmune and other chronic pain conditions miss this. It's very difficult to pin down what's helping or not even amongst proven medical treatments because the disease itself is cyclical. I could have concluded back in July that sugar was helping my pain because I was baking a lot more and my pain levels were decreasing. It actually had nothing to do with sugar, I was just on a downward trend.

I think it's hard to tell for personal experience that something is "working" for a chronic cyclical condition, but for medicines and exercise? They've been proven by studies to work. Granted, not all medicines will work for all patients, but in general, their efficacy is supported by scientific study, not just correlation backed anecdata.

That's true. What I mean is just that even with treatments we know work in large scale populations they may not work as well for the individual, which is why there are many similar drugs that may vary in effectiveness from person to person. For example I take neurontin and it works for me better than Lyrica. My grandma is the opposite. There's really only a very slight difference between them and they're both proven effective in clinical studies, but one works better for me and the other works better for her. But it can be hard to tell when something is truly helping and when you're just getting better on your own.

I once had a doctor prescribe Cellcept for me, which is a perfectly effective drug and I don't mean to imply that it isn't. I was absolutely convinced that it was not only working, but crucial, because it seemed that any time I came off of it I got worse. But I switched rheumatologists and the new one wanted me to come off of it. I argued and argued with him that it *was* working and that I needed it. But in the end I went off of it and nothing changed. It had just so happened that I started taking it before a natural upswing in my symptoms. Coincidence + placebo effect.

My point was just that if that can happen with things that we *know* work, like well tested pharmaceuticals, it's even more pronounced with things that are fuzzier.
  • dawn0293
    dawn0293 Posts: 115 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Give up sugar? No thanks.

uhgss100nyvy.gif
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Not a chance. Give up my ice cream? YEAH RIGHT!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know but OP appears to have no weight to lose. Other than saying he has some mysterious health conditions and some energy issues, he hasn't said why he wants to give up sugar.
    According to his profile page he has 27lbs to go...
    Actually, I feel like I might appear to be jumping on the sugar-is-terrific-just-eat-it-in-moderation-BECAUSE-I-DO-or-you're-a-stupid-slob bandwagon here. And I'm not.
    Your point?
    OP owes no explanation as to why he wants to stop eating it and if he wants to, he should.
    Again, I don't care what he eats. If he wants to cut out added sugar fine. Just don't do it because you think you have to.
    Yet he's been on this site long enough to see what happens when a thread like this is started. And all the usual suspects come out of the woodwork to champion the joy and necessity of sane and sensible sugar eating. In moderation of course. Because they're in control and stuff.
    The usual suspects are the few who make any real sense...
    And back in the old days they got fat from eating too much salad and steamed asparagus and unsweetened yogurt and broiled halibut with no breadcrumbs.
    If that's all your eating you will fail in the long run. Most people (without any medical condition forcing them to abstain) will never be able to keep that up. It is not sustainable.

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Not me.
  • CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Sugar free?
    Nevvvaaaar.
    >:)
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I believe it is wise to avoid REFINED sugar or too much sugar period. There is a reason why we have a type 2 diabetes epidemic.

um...just NO
    So, are saying it's fine to just eat loads and loads of refined sugar?

• ForecasterJason
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I believe it is wise to avoid REFINED sugar or too much sugar period. There is a reason why we have a type 2 diabetes epidemic.

um...just NO

Who said loads and loads? What part of moderation don't you seem to understand? Why is it one extreme or the other?
    All she posted was 2-3 word blunt responses, which was clearly not enough to explain what she meant. It sounds to me like her "no" includes the point about it being "wise to avoid too much sugar period."
  • ForecasterJason
    edited January 2015
    Options

um...just NO

Who said loads and loads? What part of moderation don't you seem to understand? Why is it one extreme or the other?
    All she posted was 2-3 word blunt responses, which was clearly not enough to explain what she meant. It sounds to me like her "no" includes the point about it being "wise to avoid too much sugar period."

Stop making assumptions. You really need to take a step back and really think about what people are really saying. Not what you think they are saying.
    I know, but if she's going to make a claim like that, shouldn't she have explained it better?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

um...just NO

It couldn't possibly be that she's refuting the implication that sugar is what causes obesity.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    original.jpg

This is a sugar thread, and there are certain expectations that need to be upheld. Twinkie diets, rat studies, fructose, added sugar vs natural sugar, insulin, sugar with and without fiber, Lustig, Fed Up, etc. Derailing this sugar thread will cause our batting average to get all out of whack.

I think I love you.
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    I get that I misinterpreted MomToLose's post, but it still doesn't change the fact that it reads "no" to everything the other poster said.
    Yes, I would like to think that it's the notion of sugar causing obesity that she was responding to, but there's clearly a lot of ambiguity in her posts.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

um...just NO

Stop making assumptions. You really need to take a step back and really think about what people are really saying. Not what you think they are saying.
    I know, but if she's going to make a claim like that, shouldn't she have explained it better?

Maybe she's assuming that her readers aren't morons, and thus won't assume she means that it's great to eat loads and loads of refined sugar, as no one argues that? I am really curious why there is some segment of posters who assume that eat what you like in moderation, as part of a balanced diet and as calories and nutritional concerns allow, means 100% twinkies and Coke. They must have extremely bizarre taste and a distorted understanding of what most people consider normal meals, IMO. Or, more likely, they enjoy straw men.