Starting Insanity Max 30 December 15th

Options

Replies

• Naomi_13
    Naomi_13 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, has anyone started a group for Insanity max 30 yet? Also a couple questions, I have only done cardio challenge and Friday fight round 1. Planning on officially starting on January 5th. In regards to maxing out, do you max out if you can't complete a move and have to drop down to modifier, for example in a push up move or shoulder taps with jumps. My arms seem to be my weak point so I can't do regular pushups or hold all my body weight on one arm so is that considered when I max out? Or is it when I just can't keep going modifying or not and need a complete rest? Thanks :smiley:
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I personally think that is up to you. I feel when you can't go on anymore, but sometimes I modify and keep going and don't think I maxed out per se. I kept going, he says do what you can, however you can.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Naomi_13 wrote: »
    Hey guys, has anyone started a group for Insanity max 30 yet? Also a couple questions, I have only done cardio challenge and Friday fight round 1. Planning on officially starting on January 5th. In regards to maxing out, do you max out if you can't complete a move and have to drop down to modifier, for example in a push up move or shoulder taps with jumps. My arms seem to be my weak point so I can't do regular pushups or hold all my body weight on one arm so is that considered when I max out? Or is it when I just can't keep going modifying or not and need a complete rest? Thanks :smiley:

Personally, if I switch to the modifier, I don't consider it maxing out b/c I'm still going. Sometimes I have to drop to the modifier b/c my form gets sloppy and I'm afraid of landing wrong and hurting myself.

I guess it comes down to personal preference.
  • Naomi_13
    Options
    Thanks that's how I was looking at it too, perhaps if i was able to do the full move for 20 seconds then had to drop down to modifier for the last 10 I would consider that maxing out.

Also if anyone was looking for a group for this I found one here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100691-insanity-max-30

The only thing you have to request to join the group but I was added right away.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options

Also if anyone was looking for a group for this I found one here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100691-insanity-max-30

The only thing you have to request to join the group but I was added right away.

Thanks for the link. I sent a request to join this group and am now waiting on approval.
  • ColePens
    ColePens Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    joehempel wrote: »
    Did the same as you today!! I'm a bigger fan of this than I am of any of the MAX 30 workouts. It's funny about how he stresses the importance of the stretching in this video, but then doesn't have any in the MAX 30.

Every week the Sweat Intervals will be swapped with this, it will also break up the monotony of the MAX 30 format. So far I think my favorite workout is the Tabata Power, with this a very close second.

So far I'm not all that impressed with MAX 30, it's a tough program, sure, but I'm not a fan of having a maxed out hr for 30 minutes....and it's not exactly safe either. I feel though if I slow down I'm not doing the program properly though.

The workout is only for the truly insane who want to push their body and mental state to whole new levels. This isn't your everyday workout. This is your 2 month challenge to yourself to become a whole new person. It's insanely high impact and the word insane cannot be said enough. This is the type of workout that makes me love life. I LOVE challenging myself to become a new person.

To me, and this is no offense, it just sounds like it isn't your cup of tea. Not that you can't do it, but my guess is put it down and just do 1 or 2 a week to challenge yourself. This isn't about 30 minutes of solid cardio at a heart ratein the 100-140 range. This is extreme insanity. The words insanity and max are in the title. lol It isn't a daily workout. It's a 2 month challenge to become a whole new person
  • ColePens
    ColePens Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I hit a brand new record this week in cardio challenge that i'll never be able to hit again. I had one of those workouts where I was in the zone. Almost like a blackout state of mind w/ uber focus. I made it 16:10 in cardio challenge and doing everything 110%. I paid for it the rest of the day. I was almost near tears and felt like losing it a few times but just pushed so hard.

Made a new record for Sweat Intervals today. 11:20. Last week I maxed out in the 7s because it's a beaut of a workout. The minutes 10-20 are insane. If anyone survives those minutes, you are either cheating or a superhuman. :p How does everyone else do with sweat intervals? Insane, right!
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    On week 3 now. Did Cardio Challenge today, maxed out at 8:59 :) Got Tabata Strength for the first time tomorrow, cant wait.
  • Naomi_13
    Options
    Hey I was just wondering for those of you that use a HRM and set your calorie goal here for TDEE do you post your workouts on here or not? I know with TDEE it takes your workouts into account so technically whatever number it gives you, you always eat at that right? So I haven't been posting my workouts because I don't want it to look like I have more calories to eat, because I will. Any suggestions for accountability? I suppose I could just post on here or in the group everyday after I do it :)
  • jdhcm2006
    Options
    Hey I was just wondering for those of you that use a HRM and set your calorie goal here for TDEE do you post your workouts on here or not? I know with TDEE it takes your workouts into account so technically whatever number it gives you, you always eat at that right? So I haven't been posting my workouts because I don't want it to look like I have more calories to eat, because I will. Any suggestions for accountability? I suppose I could just post on here or in the group everyday after I do it :)

I have a vivofit so it syncs my exercise for me. I just focus on the number that I know is my tdee. It doesn't confuse me. I just try to make sure that I always net 1200, bc some days if I followed tdee alone I wouldn't meet the 1200 net.
  • Naomi_13
    Options
    I'm assuming your TDEE is over 1200 calories though, so you mean once it takes into account your exercise calories it puts you below 1200? That makes sense though to just eat above 1200. I usually do my workout in late afternoon evening so if I find I'm below then what would you suggest to eat in the evening so its not too heavy before bed?
  • Aarthurdc
    Aarthurdc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I did Friday fight yesterday, and maxed out at 18 minutes. Did Max Cardio today and maxed out at the end of the warm up...LOL!! The warm up last exercise zonked me out! It was fun. I am adding these into my other workouts...and I the to like them. They are fun, and exhausting, but I like it. It is exactly what I thought it would be, and agree, I may want to do some sort of warm up before I do this. I do that with t25...I too did the Insanity warm up...may try that next time...but I do think the point is to MAX out, and that is when your warm up stops, and the "work" begins...at least that is what Shaun T states in that video posted on this thread.
  • jdhcm2006
    Options
    I'm assuming your TDEE is over 1200 calories though, so you mean once it takes into account your exercise calories it puts you below 1200? That makes sense though to just eat above 1200. I usually do my workout in late afternoon evening so if I find I'm below then what would you suggest to eat in the evening so its not too heavy before bed?

Yeah. My tdee is 1810. As far as eating something not too heavy, maybe a bowl of cereal. I end up having ice cream at night.
  • jdhcm2006
    Options
    I'm not feeling well today, got sick over the weekend. So I decided not to move onto month 2. I'm going to do week 4 this week, which is fine because I missed a few workouts over the holidays.

I stuck with the modifier the entire time during Cardio Challenge and still managed to burn about 317 calories and get my heart rate up in the 200s (the football run portion).
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    Options

Haven't started this program (waiting for it to arrive in the mail), but wanted to weigh in on this. I have my calories set to the TDEE method, and I still add my workouts and calories burned, but I DON'T eat the extra calories. I know what my TDEE calorie level is every day, so I just ignore the added calories from working out. Personally I just like to see how much I've burned each day, which is why I log my workouts.

• Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    I'm not feeling well today, got sick over the weekend. So I decided not to move onto month 2. I'm going to do week 4 this week, which is fine because I missed a few workouts over the holidays.

I stuck with the modifier the entire time during Cardio Challenge and still managed to burn about 317 calories and get my heart rate up in the 200s (the football run portion).

I'm moving on to phase two tonight. Can't imagine how much harder it's going to be. :s

• jdhcm2006
    Options
    Lapre79 wrote: »
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »

I'm moving on to phase two tonight. Can't imagine how much harder it's going to be. :s

You'll have to let me know what to expect. I should feel well enough to go forward by next week.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    In regards to maxing out, do you max out if you can't complete a move and have to drop down to modifier, for example in a push up move or shoulder taps with jumps. My arms seem to be my weak point so I can't do regular pushups or hold all my body weight on one arm so is that considered when I max out? Or is it when I just can't keep going modifying or not and need a complete rest? Thanks :smiley:

YES....if you switch to a modifier you are adjusting your form and by Shaun T's definition, you MAXed out. Unless there is a reason you physically can't do the move even at the beginning, then you maxed out. So dropping to your knees because you can't do even one push-up I think is okay. But if you can do one push-up without being on your knees, then you maxed out.

If I just dropped down to the modifier when I was tired, I would get through the workout with no problems and be able to say "ohhh I completed the workout without maxing out!" That would be a lie.

I've restarted MAX 30 today, the holidays made it very difficult to keep on track with the workouts......MAXed out at 8:20 with the cardio challenge which was about 30 seconds longer than I did the week before...so here's to new beginnings!!!

• lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Did Tabata Strength, maxed out at 7:10, cant even remember what move it was LOL My arms are sufficiently burned out. Tabata Strength really gets your shoulders and arms with cardio, geez
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 521 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I was feeling tired tonight and did T25 2.0 (no hrm) I am going to do a little strength and rest up for tomorrow. So many around me getting sick, I want to keep my immune system up
    Great job hanging in there to everyone. If I feel up to it, Sweat should be tomorrow. I don't think the second half of the program is that much harder, just less breaks but some of the moves I like better.