Senior Golden Sneakers -May 2011

Options

Replies

• pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I was going to wait til tomorrow to post, bu I wont remember what was said today if I do that.
    Judy, so glad you did Not have any issues with that tornado.
    Maddie, Dee said it just right, at wp or yp, it is still a great loss.
    Dee, yay for you! You are doing great, yes I saw how hard Sandy worked to get to her goal, it is tough.
    Marie, dh's stepmother saved tomatoes for seeds, she said it worked well.
    Sandy, hope you are getting excited about your trips!
    Elli, glad you got your garden started, is the straw to protect it from cold temps?
    wow, it got down to 20 degrees in New Mexico this morning, unbelievable!
    Jackie, if I had 900 calories, it would have to be pasta in cream sauce, mmmm
    Judi, my take on hosepipe bans was something to do with car exhausts. They're getting so crazy over here about emissions, you never know whats next! Besides, coming from someone who thought you were making tea in a crockpot, it isnt all that crazy. Lol!
    Buzz, bizzy Buzz! As long as you are having good days, may they continue to be busy.
    I am loving my better than peanut butter from Trader Joes. I gave it to dh on vanilla wafers and he never knew the difference, and I wont tell him! Lol! He once drank my whole quart of skim milk, commenting on how good it was, I told him about it maybe a year later. He thinks 2% is as low as he can go.
    deb, now Im missing going to the zoo, I may have to make it in May that I visit ours. I was going to the aquarium to see the dolphins.

Marilyn, congrats on your third job! Whichever job you give up, they are going to miss you!
  • oldtyke
    oldtyke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Oh I SEE! You thought I was brewing tea in a crocpot :laugh: No in actual fact it was a rather yummy lamb curry! Over here, in polite company, we have lunch and dinner. BUT! I'm from the North , and we have dinner at lunchtime and our evening meal we call tea!( In VERY polite company there is afternoon tea, with cucumber sandwiches) Don't you just love the differences?

Caliecat Healing thoughts for Jeri. You both must be relieved his trt is coming to a close. It used to make me so sad (and mad) when my patients used to ignore medical advice, especially smoking.

Buzz A French door fridge? I suppose it must be one door on top of another like we have? Everyone aspires to a big American jobbie here, but our kitchens are in the main too small.

Sandy, enjoy your time away. Try and get some rest. Even caring for a loved one will take it out of you physically and mentally, you need some "me" time.

Dee congratulations on your weightloss.

Marylin congratulations on the new job.

Shirley I:heart: that!

Deb I hope you are right about the rain, we have none forecast till monday and the ground is parched. The farmers are moaning! No change there then! I had to put fleece over the potatoes last night, the car top was frosted over this morning.

I'm back on the "new" computer my son brought up when he came before Easter. We have his cast-offs when he upgrades. It lasted 2 days until it wouldn't switch on! Well OH took it to bits yesterday to see if he could rescue it. (it had happened to Iain which was why he upgraded) and he found ? Drumroll! A great wodge of dust stopping the on/off button! Now I'll have to get used to the new format!
    Oh and since I gave up going to my slimming club, I've lost 3lbs!!!! And I'm saving £'s too!

Take care Honeybunches! Judi xx
  • debzwill
    debzwill Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hello Sneakers,

Judi: A massive congratulations to you. 3lbs is amazing! I love your new photo by the way, I keep forgetting to mention it. Your OH is quite handy, saved you a lot on repairs. I don't know what happening with the weather anymore. Its a beautiful warm sunny day today. The forecast has now said rain will make appearance at the weekend! I'm going to Yorkshire (Barnsley) in a couple of weeks for my neices wedding. We were going the night before and coming home on Sunday, but OH got to work on Friday. He only had a 'save the date' for a year and forgot to book it off!!!

Dee:Keep going Dee, you're almost there. It must be so frustrating trying to shift those last few pounds. So near yet so far! Keep going Dee, you're almost there, we are all rooting for you Keep us updated on the bluebird egg.

Phoebe; You must have thought we are all mad!! Making tea in a crockpot rofl. Mind you, I bet there is someone out there who does.

I am at home today, so thought I would take a quick peep at the posts. Its usually late when I get on here. I have to wait for OH to come off as he uses it for work too. Our other one is so slow, I lose patience with it!
    Buzz: Did you see my gray granules explanation on my home page? Hope it helps.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone ~ I'm home for the afternoon so thought it an ideal time for a quick catch up. I'm waiting for my neighbour to get off work early so we can inspect our bee hives to make sure they are not thinking of leaving home in a big black swarm in the near future!!:noway: One of the hives in my garden already has over 20 lbs of honey sitting in it so we could be in for a busy autumn extracting if they continue to build up such stores. Our bee buddy popped round for a chat yesterday and although he didn't look in the hives, thinks we are doing the right things so I'm happy with that.

Deb ~ It's still windy here but I don't mind as it clears any clouds away that start to form on the moor. We decided not to walk across our usual piece of moorland yesterday because when I phoned one of my friends who lives close by to see what was happening up there she said it was raining, very windy and only 7 degrees so we headed for the lake instead. It would have been 100 times worse on the moors!! We'll be swimming at the local sports centre tomorrow so at least that's indoors!

Buzz ~ Your new fridge/freezer sounds exciting and as you say, you'll no doubt find all sorts of hidden treats at the back of the old one. Nothing too fattening though!! I struggled to eat 900 calories last night because I got to a point where I just didn't want any more and couldn't force myself. I don't think I was too near starvation mode somehow!!:laugh:
    I'm sure everyone over there must be delighted at the news from Pakistan and it will hopefully allow closure for so many families of 9/11 victims as well as all the other atrocities.

Marilyn ~ Well done getting that new job, especially when things are so difficult in employment these days, whatever side of the Atlantic you live in.

Marie ~ I'm jealous that you have tomato plants large enough to snap although that's not good news. Your season is way ahead of mine. A few shop bought plants are doing quite well in my greenhouse but my Roma tomatoes that I raised from seeds first suffered from the heat so I lost most and the remainder just sit and look at me as if to say we don't want to grow any bigger. They're about 4" high!! I've placed their pots next to the larger plants to give them an idea of what they are supposed to look like. Hopefully they'll be encouraged!:laugh: Great news that Jerry only has 3 more days of treatment. He must be so relieved to have got towards the end. We'll all be praying that the results are the best you could wish for.:heart:

Phoebe ~ I'm with you on the creamy pasta but when I delved into my fridge for an accompaniment I realised I should have kept the philadelphia cheese that I finished at lunchtime to mix in so the pesto was the 2nd best option. Thoroughly enjoyed it but won't go near the scales as pasta does tend to bloat me.

Time to get organised for the inspection. Happy days for everyone just getting up and eveyone else enjoy the remainder of this Wednesday.

Jackie:flowerforyou:
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Hi Golden Ladies:

Day off today just finished my 55 mins. of strength training. Have to run errands and will be making
    chili today. Its May 4th and the temp here is 48 degrees. Tomorrow will be in the 50's, aren't we
    lucky (sarcasm). We have had rain for days. :grumble:

Sandy: Have fun in DC I was there once as a kid.

Buzz: Your new fridge sounds really techy never heard of French Doors on a fridge. :ohwell:

Marilyn: Good Luck on downsizing of your jobs, sounds like you need much needed sleep good luck on the new one.

Marie: I hope to get in a garden maybe the end of May if we are lucky with the weather we are having.

I have probably missed a few ladies but will catch up next time.

Have a wonderful day today and keep on losing!!! Oh! and drink drink drink that water :laugh:
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Jacki said:
    Hello everyone ~ I'm home for the afternoon so thought it an ideal time for a quick catch up. I'm waiting for my neighbour to get off work early so we can inspect our bee hives to make sure they are not thinking of leaving home in a big black swarm in the near future!!:noway: One of the hives in my garden already has over 20 lbs of honey sitting in it so we could be in for a busy autumn extracting if they continue to build up such stores. Our bee buddy popped round for a chat yesterday and although he didn't look in the hives, thinks we are doing the right things so I'm happy with that.

I am so jealous. Honey is one of my favorite things. I buy it from the bulk containers at our natural foods store and always chose the blackberry honey. I mix a half teaspoon (30 calories) in my Greek Yogurt for a sweet treat, or put it on my oatmeal. Since we have acres of wild black berries al around us, if we had a hive I'm sure the honey would taste the same. Back in Wisconsin some friends kept hives. They were surrounded with farms where they grew clover so their honey had a different taste than this. It was good but I'll take the black berry honey any day.

I slept until after 10:00 this morning - went to bed at 11;30 so must have really needed the respite.

Yesterday I came home from running errands to find a little pink dogwood tree in a pot on our front steps. It was an early Mother's Day gift from two of my kids and my son-in-law. I dug a hole in the back yard and planted it where I'll be able to see it from kitchen or living room windows next spring when it blooms.
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    SANDY. Have a wonderful time. Your husband will really appreciate you when you get home.

JACKI. I agree with Connie, your honey sounds wonderful. I love honey and toast.

Everyone's plants and flowers sounds so nice. I finally have crocuses blooming and it is so fun to see the perennials coming up. Spring is my favorite season.

Have a great day all.
    Options
    Just think sneakers, if we could link our hosepipes together, we could drain the flood waters in the USA, and send them to our friends in UK! Lol, it sounds much simpler than blowing up levees. Thats always the way, someone needs it somewhere, and someone else has too much elsewhere. So sorry for your dry weather.
    Jackie, why would the bees plan to leave, and how can you tell by inspecting? That sounds like a lot of honey, happy bees too. How far away from your home is the place on the moors where it is so cold? Is it colder because of a higher elevation? I'm. Asking lots of questions, feel free to ignore me!
    Judi, the french fridge sounds like the return of an oldie. I remember my aunts fridge with a bottom freezer. That was back in the 60's.
    connie, you have some thoughtful children, dil too. They give you something that will last, and you. Already love. How have you been affected by the floods? I hope not at all, so sad in a no win situation. We read one farmer lost all of his farmland when the levee was blown. I noticed no one was resentful about it, just saddened. That is what good people do, the greater good and all.
    Judi, 3 lbs in wonderful, and I'm sure it feels even better! Congrats and good going. Too bad typing doesnt burn calories, id be small! Lol- not likely!
    Marie, what are you up to today? I hope your trader joes is nearby. The bananas were much cheaper there. I looked for reduced sodium cottage cheese, but they didnt have it. I also hoped to find salt substitutes, but they didnt carry any.
    Who was it that tried the verrry dark chocolate, Deb? They had a container of small 'dots' of dark chocolate called nibs. It is purse sized, and satisfy a choc. Craving. I keep forgetting that I have it!
    i found a pay to weigh scale in one of our regular stops for fuel. In western Arizona. Ive never used one, and I dont know about the accuracy. I wont log any weight except from my scale at home, but it will be nice to have a place to check my weight. I have no idea if they work well. However, if they keep showing my weight dropping, I like them well enough! Lol
    Sandy, hope you are worry free and on your way!
    Elli, I think the GPS units have made a big difference in navigation issues. Even though I dont always agree with the route they choose!
    Buzz, are you trying to cook all those 'mystery foods' from your old freezer? Lol, Mystery Soup!
  • gigi46
    gigi46 Posts: 196
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Just got back from Chicago, had the best time with our daugther and her friends, went shopping after she arrived, to Water Tower, has been a while since I was there, so of course I had coupons for Macy's and Lord & Taylor come to find out Lord & Taylor was gone:noway: :noway: :noway: so after shopping we meet everyone for drinks and dinner had a awesome time:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: we walked every where made over 17,000 steps yesterday. The weather was in the cool side needed coats, today was much better. Was so difficult saying goodbye, we always have so much fun together, sharing this time together was the best ever.:love::love: :love:

Marilyn - Congratulations on getting your new job, juggling 3 job:happy: :happy: you're super woman.

Dee - Fantastic on loosing 2.4 pounds & 12 pounds below your WW goal:heart::heart: :heart: WOW!!

Sandy - Have fun and enjoy every minutes while you're gone :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: you deserve to have the best time ever. I would love to meet you, maybe we can plan one of these days when you're not so busy, that will be so awesome.

Well everyone have a great evening,

Gigi
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: the dogs and I just had a great time at the dog park.....all the little birds fly around and keep the dogs occupied chasing after them.....Jake fixed a great pizza for lunch and I had to burn a lot of calories to make up for it :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:bigsmile: my mom had a frig with the freezer with a separate drawer on the bottom clear into the 1990's. She thought it was the greatest:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I have one with the side by side doors and a dispenser for water and ice :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: it's super warm today (about 60) but we're due for more rain again tomorrow and through the weekend.:brokenheart:
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,126 Member
    Options
    Good Evening Sneakers!!
    My desktop computer is having problems so I am grateful I have a laptop so I don't go into with drawl from not having a computer.:laugh: I went to the grocery store, Target and the pet store before getting a manicure and pedicure trying to be ready to pack tomorrow. I have a hair appointment in the morning and then I have to take my husband's clothes, meds and whatever else he might need to his son's. I also bought some groceries since we eat much different then they do.:tongue: He is not thrilled to be going there, so I hope it all works out good. :ohwell:

After dinner we went for our walk with me pushing the wheelchair. We must have seen 15 dogs on our route tonight and Daisy jumps up in the air when she sees another dog so it was quite a walk. Besides the fact that I nearly dumped dear hubby a couple of times but managed to save him. :love:

Please forgive me for not addressing everyone individually I am tired and just want to sit on the couch and chill out.

Talk to you in the morning.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    By golly I don't think I been on here all day. Been on the home pae but noy here.

Gigi sound like you had a wonderful time in chicao, Glad you had such a good time.

Phoebe. When will you guys head home?

We got our grocery shopping done this afternoon. Alice is due out Sunday for Mother day. I guess We will go out to eat. Last time we went out and had that fried blacberry fried pie and icecream I don't think we will do that again.

Gayla are you back yet? Haven't seen you nowhere?

Judy What is the time difference there? If it is 700 AM here what time is it in NZ I am trying to figure out when you go to bed.. I am fixing to head there pretty soon.See all of you tomorrow.
  • oldtyke
    oldtyke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Just coming up to lunchtime here. It's dull but warm, but everyone's praying for rain as there are loads of fires on the moors. Away from houses so no danger to the population.

Connie can you give me the recipe for sleep please? Since the menopause arrived it's a mystery to me :frown:

Jackie, I can sympathise with sulking tomatoes, some of mine are the same (tho we have to start them out later here, we had a frost yesterday) But I'm growing a yellow bush tomato, Tumbling Tom yellow and they are really vigorous and already have flowers coming. I got them free from the BBC years ago to trial and had more than I could cope with! But they were going to waste and I thought I'd see if they would still germinate, and up they all popped!

I went to a localish nursery yesterday and filled the boot of the car with herbs, delphiniums (my favourite) and lots of plants for the tubs and hanging baskets. I LOVE that place! Very cheap, so I will have to plant them all up. I'll have to find space in the greenhouse for them for another 4 weeks before I dare put them (the tubs not the herbs & delphs) as we can still get frost until June, in fact we had some the first week of June last year.
    OH is constructing cages to go over the raised beds, then we'll fix fine netting on them to keep the cats , birds and butterflies away. Our sparrows love lettuce and chard!
    Right I shall whizz round the groundfloor before I make lunch, so take care everyone and Angel help to those who need it, Judi xx
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    Marie asked,

Judy What is the time difference there? If it is 700 AM here what time is it in NZ I am trying to figure out when you go to bed.. I am fixing to head there pretty soon.See all of you tomorrow.

I'm not Judy but I can answer your question. From where you are, Marie, it is a 17-hour time difference. - with New Zealand being 17 hours ahead of you.

There is a web site called Travel Math - www.travelmath.com, and on their menu bar there is a little clock marked time. On the next page you can select time difference from the drop down menu and then put in any two locations and it will tell you the time difference. OR - you can simply ask Google for "time difference between Texas and New Zealand, and Google will figure it out for you.
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    Judi said:
    Connie can you give me the recipe for sleep please? Since the menopause arrived it's a mystery to me :frown:
    Here's my recipe: Saturday night sleep: 5 hours; Sunday night sleep: 4 hours; Monday night sleep: 4.6 hours; Tuesday yard work, 3-1/2 hours, Tuesday night sleep: 11 hours. :smooched:
    Options
    Good answers, Connie! Saw your stone path photos, you have been busy and sleep should come quickly!
    it is a sunny day here, hope we get to head over to Salinas CA when we finish here. This should be our last trip and then we will go home for a week or so. Dh has his annual drag races, and he has five people going with him, they will have a ball! So will I, :) although not at the same place. I have always wanted to go the the aquarium by myself. That way, I can watch what I want for as long as I want. The jellyfish put me into a trance!

Hope you are all able to plan a great weekend, with or without Mothers Day celebrations.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Connie you are so smart.you really know your computer

I mess up my food plan for today. I mess around on this computer and did not eat breakfast till 11;30AM so will have to double up on morning snack and lunch. shouln't be too hard to do. I have been slicing an apple up real thin peel and all add some cinnamon and a few sprays of butter spays and add 1 T. of sugar free smuckers apricots jelly...... mix it up and cooked in microwave on high for 2 minutes taste like apple pie almost! Since I got rather large apple i am using only half of an apple.

Phoebe glad you will be headed home soon. How is your diet coming along?

Got to run Jerry just got home and we need to go to the bank.
    See you later
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,126 Member
    Options
    Just a short note to say hi!! Busy day today finishing laundry, packing up for Babe and Daisy to go to his son's and then finally packing for myself. Still have to make arrangements to get to the airport tomorrow and be picked up Monday. I don't want to stress myself so I am doing things slowly. I will try to stay in touch and maybe check back in later. My desktop has crashed and don't have time to have it fixed before I go, so I think I might take my laptop with me although I have a smart phone so I might not.

Anyway, you all behave while I am gone and stick with your plan. I will try to do the same, but do as I say not as I do.

Love you girls!!
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    Marie said:
    Connie you are so smart.you really know your computer
    Don't have to be smart when you have Google. For example, need to know the square root of 689? Ask Google, You don't even have to hit the "search" button - it will give you the answer immediately.

Marie, you also asked about my husband. He is still seeing a doctor for blood clots and still taking lots of medication but otherwise he seems to be ok. I sincerely wish he would work a little harder on loosing weight but as you probably know, it is exhausting to push a rock, especially uphill, and I simply don't have it in me anymore. I fix healthy, low calorie meals, keep fruit and low calorie, healthy snacks on hand but even those are bad for you if you eat too many. A 100 calorie snack pack of cookies is great but not if you eat four or five at a sitting.

Phoebe, you commented on my garden path. It's what I've been working on (and burning calories with) this spring. We have thousands of rocks on our three acres and many of them are perfectly flat on both top and bottom, about two to three inches thick. They make interesting paving stones when pieced together. Here's the picture Phoebe was referring to.

NE8qgl.jpg
    There are four tiers of flowers below the path and the plan is for four tiers above the path, ending with a large, open bed that will be sowed with wild flowers each spring. It's taken me two summers to get this far. Now that's I'm thinner and have more energy, maybe I'll get it all done this summer.
  • marlouise
    marlouise Posts: 286
    Options
    Hello ladies,
    Just a quickie home from work and the body is not feeling well, time for bed. Hope all is well here, catch all you maybe tomorrow night or on the weekend.

Marilyn