Some Rules for Gym Noobs.

Options

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Since we use rubber plates (not bumper), it gets chalk marks on it from handling. I'll give them a quick wipe just so the Y staff doesn't get their panties in a bunch and ban chalk. Sounds silly but I do it just so the gym stays cleaner
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    I actually have a legit question as I have seen this mentioned a couple of times. Who wipes down weights after they use them?

Plates no, although i'll dust chalk off if I leave marks.
    Bars yes. Anything I sweat on yes.
  • alexkeithwatson
    alexkeithwatson Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You look insane for 47 lol ..... and I don't because i've not noticed anyone else doing it. Just the seats.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I always ask myself if I could really get motived if I had my own gym. Props to those that do it

I'd very much like to have my own gym. The equipment I want, and membership would be very limited, prices fairly low, so I'd have to start with a decent pile of money so I could slowly turn it into a small one.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Since we use rubber plates (not bumper), it gets chalk marks on it from handling. I'll give them a quick wipe just so the Y staff doesn't get their panties in a bunch and ban chalk. Sounds silly but I do it just so the gym stays cleaner

^^when I lift in gyms I wipe the chalk off - but that's because I am not sure if they allow it and so am being sneaky lol.
  • alexkeithwatson
    alexkeithwatson Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My gym is a hippy gym no chalk is there =/
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I've found using liquid chalk stays on your hands and doesn't transfer to much else, but it's expensive.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    You look insane for 47 lol ..... and I don't because i've not noticed anyone else doing it. Just the seats.

:flowerforyou:

Yeah - I have never noticed anyone doing it so have never done it myself to be honest- then again, I don't really sweat much - and its just my hands or shoulders touching the bar. I wear long pants or socks for deads so I don't leave skin on the bar.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I've found using liquid chalk stays on your hands and doesn't transfer to much else, but it's expensive.

I also don't like it that much. I tried it and it helps - but it makes my hands feel odd and the chalk helps much better with my callouses.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I always ask myself if I could really get motived if I had my own gym. Props to those that do it

I'd very much like to have my own gym. The equipment I want, and membership would be very limited, prices fairly low, so I'd have to start with a decent pile of money so I could slowly turn it into a small one.

I am cheap and so my set up was not very spendy. Then again, I can use a cheapy power cage as my squats are no where neat the max safe load.

Although, that reminds me, I need to get some more j hooks as the pins set for squats are bending.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Agree with all, although I would add my own pet peeve.

#13 (or whatever number we're up to given other people's suggestions). If you've come to the gym to use a treadmill to walk no faster, and with no more resistance than you would normally (and it's not for rehab purposes), just so you can check in on Facebook that you went to a gym, read your book, and pat yourself on the back because you went over 10,000 steps on your FitBit..........please just use that energy to walk back home, and stop looking perplexed because you can't reach your goals even though you "exercise every day". You're not doing yourself any favors, and you're occupying a machine when someone who really wants to work might actually use it for what it's intended for.

Sorry, I really had to speak my peace on this one. My employer had a nice size fitness center, and there were always the usual suspects guilty of this offense. It became annoying because others are trying to fit in a lunchtime workout, and there are some who are just looking for some form of emotional gratification. If you are rehabbing something, then this isn't aimed at you. On the other side, don't hop on the treadmill with no incline and at less than 2.5MPH, read your book, and then whine because you "are at the gym every day, but can't seem to lose the weight".............UGGGGHHHHHH.

I shall step down off my soap box now.

[/quote]

WOW. Just WOW.

• dbmata
    Options
    I'd want some of the silly stuff, like a prowler, cambered squat bar, safety squat bar, monolift (because it looks cool), 20 foot bouldering wall, conan wheel. Maybe a tv for showing re-runs of Tosh.0 while I'm working out.

You know, the normal stuff that no one needs. ;)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I'd want some of the silly stuff, like a prowler, cambered squat bar, safety squat bar, monolift (because it looks cool), 20 foot bouldering wall, conan wheel. Maybe a tv for showing re-runs of Tosh.0 while I'm working out.

lol. Last month, I did get a calf raise machine (it was from a used gym equipment place and in really good nick and only $125), mainly as a joke (albeit a useful one) as a certain person who shall not be named *cough*SideSteel*cough* keeps taking the piss about the size (or lack thereof) of my calves.

Actually was going there to get a cable machine when I saw it. Cable machine was a sweet deal and now my dining room comprises about 75% lifting shiz - with the dining table crammed against the wall lol.

• dbmata
    Options

lol. Last month, I did get a calf raise machine (it was from a used gym equipment place and in really good nick and only $125), mainly as a joke (albeit a useful one) as a certain person who shall not be named *cough*SideSteel*cough* keeps taking the piss about the size (or lack thereof) of my calves.

Actually was going there to get a cable machine when I saw it. Cable machine was a sweet deal and now my dining room comprises about 75% lifting shiz - with the dining table crammed against the wall lol.

... just eat on the bench. In between sets.

HAHAHA, I'd hate to have to clean that up. lol.

I'm a bit envious, out here used gym equipment is on parity with retail pricing. As for the calf raise, how else they gon' get swole? Do you have a trap bar for shrugs too? You could do a shrug, curl, calf raise cycle.
  • bearylou1990
    bearylou1990 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Agree with all, although I would add my own pet peeve.

#13 (or whatever number we're up to given other people's suggestions). If you've come to the gym to use a treadmill to walk no faster, and with no more resistance than you would normally (and it's not for rehab purposes), just so you can check in on Facebook that you went to a gym, read your book, and pat yourself on the back because you went over 10,000 steps on your FitBit..........please just use that energy to walk back home, and stop looking perplexed because you can't reach your goals even though you "exercise every day". You're not doing yourself any favors, and you're occupying a machine when someone who really wants to work might actually use it for what it's intended for.

Sorry, I really had to speak my peace on this one. My employer had a nice size fitness center, and there were always the usual suspects guilty of this offense. It became annoying because others are trying to fit in a lunchtime workout, and there are some who are just looking for some form of emotional gratification. If you are rehabbing something, then this isn't aimed at you. On the other side, don't hop on the treadmill with no incline and at less than 2.5MPH, read your book, and then whine because you "are at the gym every day, but can't seem to lose the weight".............UGGGGHHHHHH.

I shall step down off my soap box now.

WOW. Just WOW.

[/quote]

Yeah, careful stepping down from your soap box - it looks high.

Every step those people take is better than the steps they DON'T take by going out to McDonalds for lunch or sitting at their desk.

You are ABSOLUTELY doing yourself a favour by walking, regardless of whether or not it's at 2.5mph and you check facebook while you do it.

If they get emotional gratification from it, then who are you to judge? You should be happy that they have found something that gratifies them emotionally, sorry to hear it bothers your so much.

At the peak of my half marathon training I was running in the dead of winter on a treadmill for 2 hours including warm up and cool down. Do you know in those 2 hours how many people step on one of the other treadmills, walk for 10 minutes and step off? TONS! Not once did I ever think that they were wasting space, they deserve the gym as much as I do and they can do whatever the hell they want.

It's people like you that make it so incredibly difficult for people to start a healthy lifestyle. As if the gym isn't terrifying enough when you're new, now they have to worry that people think they aren't working hard enough once they are there?
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

[/quote]

WOW. Just WOW.

[/quote]

Yeah, careful stepping down from your soap box - it looks high.

Every step those people take is better than the steps they DON'T take by going out to McDonalds for lunch or sitting at their desk.

You are ABSOLUTELY doing yourself a favour by walking, regardless of whether or not it's at 2.5mph and you check facebook while you do it.

If they get emotional gratification from it, then who are you to judge? You should be happy that they have found something that gratifies them emotionally, sorry to hear it bothers your so much.

At the peak of my half marathon training I was running in the dead of winter on a treadmill for 2 hours including warm up and cool down. Do you know in those 2 hours how many people step on one of the other treadmills, walk for 10 minutes and step off? TONS! Not once did I ever think that they were wasting space, they deserve the gym as much as I do and they can do whatever the hell they want.

It's people like you that make it so incredibly difficult for people to start a healthy lifestyle. As if the gym isn't terrifying enough when you're new, now they have to worry that people think they aren't working hard enough once they are there?
    [/quote]

^^^^ THIS! I suppose they would be better off on the couch with a bag of chips?
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    After deads or squats etc... my cardio is reduced down to basically walking on the treadmill in an effort to reduce doms for the next two days.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    hahahahaha @ #11 seriouslllllyyyyyyyyyyy
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    No farting. Come on people, I know you feel it coming. Just hold it or go to the bathroom.

baw ha ha ha ha ha

yeah no.

that's just not how this works.

that's not how ANY of this works.

I Unfriend You!

-tapes more pictures to wall-

[/geico]
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    I actually have a legit question as I have seen this mentioned a couple of times. Who wipes down weights after they use them?

I do before and after. Every bar, handle and dumbbell that I touch. The flu has a massive grip on the region I live in. I don't want to risk it.