Some Rules for Gym Noobs.

Options

Replies

• SunshineGoodVibes
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    TO THE OP:

I hope you understand that taking the time to write ALL of those said "rules" out on MFP is a clear and blatant waste of time. Chances are, people will do what they please, even if you don't agree with it.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but that's just reality. It happens at every gym. If you have an issue with that, I suggest you workout in your own home where your rules will not be broken.

considering several gym new goers replied to the thread you are already wrong….
    Oh really? Please explain because I would love to hear how i'm "wrong"? I'm all ears so go on.

I'd say 3/4 of gym goers adhere to most of these rules. It's the few regulars and newbies that ruin it for the rest.

lol says you. All the "noobs" (btw 12 year old boys going through puberty use that word) i've come across have been perfectly fine. I think you guys are being too judgmental and not focusing on your workout. You're also forgetting you and everyone on this post (*COUGH OP*) were newbies at one point so chill and give people a break.
    In case I wasn't clear their youngin, if someone's a noob and they step over my barbell when I'm deadlifting, or doing pendlays, it might hit their underbits, on porpoise.

I think you mean Purpose. Porpoise is an animal. Just saying :)
  • SunshineGoodVibes
    Options
    TO THE OP:

I hope you understand that taking the time to write ALL of those said "rules" out on MFP is a clear and blatant waste of time. Chances are, people will do what they please, even if you don't agree with it.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but that's just reality. It happens at every gym. If you have an issue with that, I suggest you workout in your own home where your rules will not be broken.

Oh really? Please explain because I would love to hear how i'm "wrong"? I'm all ears so go on.

I'd say 3/4 of gym goers adhere to most of these rules. It's the few regulars and newbies that ruin it for the rest.

lol says you. All the "noobs" (btw 12 year old boys going through puberty use that word) i've come across have been perfectly fine. I think you guys are being too judgmental and not focusing on your workout. You're also forgetting you and everyone on this post (*COUGH OP*) were newbies at one point so chill and give people a break.

@SunshineGoodVibes‌ you are very intelligent for a 19 year old. very articulate. cool

Aww thanks. I try :)
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

DO NOT take selfies in the locker room where people are trying to change.

People seriously need to be told this????? I guess they do if someone felt the need to say it. SMH.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    I actually have a legit question as I have seen this mentioned a couple of times. Who wipes down weights after they use them?
    I do.

I never police chalk up- not even off the bar- mostly because- we use chalk at the gym- there is an open bowl of it- it's free serve.

Last week I did watch a guy make a really good effort to clean his blood off the bar- he barked his shins something fierce doing sumo pulls- so it was pretty effed up. I was (not impressed) I respected shall I say the fact that he cleaned up- that's a cleanliness courtesy issue- so it was nice to see it done.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I actually have a legit question as I have seen this mentioned a couple of times. Who wipes down weights after they use them?
    I do.

I never police chalk up- not even off the bar- mostly because- we use chalk at the gym- there is an open bowl of it- it's free serve.

Last week I did watch a guy make a really good effort to clean his blood off the bar- he barked his shins something fierce doing sumo pulls- so it was pretty effed up. I was (not impressed) I respected shall I say the fact that he cleaned up- that's a cleanliness courtesy issue- so it was nice to see it done.

I honestly have never seen anyone wipe down a barbell after squatting or benching. Nor DBs for that matter tbh.

• floridamatty
    floridamatty Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be posting this list of rules in my gym next time I'm there, like a regular Martin Luther.

Had to tell a dude to eff off because he stepped over my barbell while I was mid pull in a deadlift. If it were lighter I would have pulled it faster to tap him in the wedding tackle.

What is it with people doing that? I've been tempted to do the exact same thing when people step over mine

never have had that happen..

I have had some morons stand directly behind me talking whenI am trying to pull 375….
    rejectuf wrote: »
    Every time I see a post complaining about grunting or dropping weights, it makes me glad I go to a gym that allows heavy weights. Grunting and dropping happens when you're pushing your limits, which a lot of us like to do when lifting.

Oh yeah im a grunter when doing squats...cant help it and not going to stop...besides dont think most people can hear me cause we have ipods in our ears
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Agree with all, although I would add my own pet peeve.

#13 (or whatever number we're up to given other people's suggestions). If you've come to the gym to use a treadmill to walk no faster, and with no more resistance than you would normally (and it's not for rehab purposes), just so you can check in on Facebook that you went to a gym, read your book, and pat yourself on the back because you went over 10,000 steps on your FitBit..........please just use that energy to walk back home, and stop looking perplexed because you can't reach your goals even though you "exercise every day". You're not doing yourself any favors, and you're occupying a machine when someone who really wants to work might actually use it for what it's intended for.

Sorry, I really had to speak my peace on this one. My employer had a nice size fitness center, and there were always the usual suspects guilty of this offense. It became annoying because others are trying to fit in a lunchtime workout, and there are some who are just looking for some form of emotional gratification. If you are rehabbing something, then this isn't aimed at you. On the other side, don't hop on the treadmill with no incline and at less than 2.5MPH, read your book, and then whine because you "are at the gym every day, but can't seem to lose the weight".............UGGGGHHHHHH.

I shall step down off my soap box now.

WOW. Just WOW.

Yeah, careful stepping down from your soap box - it looks high.

Every step those people take is better than the steps they DON'T take by going out to McDonalds for lunch or sitting at their desk.

You are ABSOLUTELY doing yourself a favour by walking, regardless of whether or not it's at 2.5mph and you check facebook while you do it.

If they get emotional gratification from it, then who are you to judge? You should be happy that they have found something that gratifies them emotionally, sorry to hear it bothers your so much.

At the peak of my half marathon training I was running in the dead of winter on a treadmill for 2 hours including warm up and cool down. Do you know in those 2 hours how many people step on one of the other treadmills, walk for 10 minutes and step off? TONS! Not once did I ever think that they were wasting space, they deserve the gym as much as I do and they can do whatever the hell they want.

It's people like you that make it so incredibly difficult for people to start a healthy lifestyle. As if the gym isn't terrifying enough when you're new, now they have to worry that people think they aren't working hard enough once they are there?

Well, I guess that's why I initially called it a pet peeve, because it's my own internal grievance. I think the point you missed in my grievance is not necessarily the people who use the treadmill, but is more the people who use it as a means of patting themselves on the back, and then *kitten* because they have made no progress. Maybe my point got masked in the other parts of my tirade, but I guess it made you feel better to choose the parts that suited your agenda.
    Every step those people take is better than the steps they DON'T take by going out to McDonalds for lunch or sitting at their desk.
    This was pretty much the only point you made that I somewhat agree with. Aside from that, I pretty much disagree with just about every point you made.
    You are ABSOLUTELY doing yourself a favour by walking, regardless of whether or not it's at 2.5mph and you check facebook while you do it.
    What are you comparing this to.......sitting on the couch, sitting at a desk, sitting in a coma?...........okay, then maybe I'll concede being somewhat wrong.
    Do you know in those 2 hours how many people step on one of the other treadmills, walk for 10 minutes and step off? TONS! Not once did I ever think that they were wasting space, they deserve the gym as much as I do and they can do whatever the hell they want.
    Not exactly sure what point you were trying to make with the first sentence, but okay, thanks for sharing. As far as your second sentence, I guess that makes you better than me for not having such thoughts.......congratulations.
    It's people like you that make it so incredibly difficult for people to start a healthy lifestyle. As if the gym isn't terrifying enough when you're new, now they have to worry that people think they aren't working hard enough once they are there?
    Once again, these are my internal grievances. I don't wear them on my shoulder for all to see. I'm not casting a judgmental scowl at them from across the gym. Why are they worrying about what I think? In the grand scheme, I am nobody to them, and in the end, they have no clue what I think.

I appreciate your stance, but "agree to disagree" will have to be how I sign off. I'll continue to have my grievances (internally), that don't affect me and don't affect anybody I see at the gym, and you can continue to think that I am some kind of bully for simply expressing my mind in an open forum.
  • jeremywm1977
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ^^^^ THIS! I suppose they would be better off on the couch with a bag of chips?

As long as they walked back and forth to the store, uphill both ways, to buy those bag of chips.......yes. Make sure they are baked chips too.....

• DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

#13 (or whatever number we're up to given other people's suggestions). If you've come to the gym to use a treadmill to walk no faster, and with no more resistance than you would normally (and it's not for rehab purposes), just so you can check in on Facebook that you went to a gym, read your book, and pat yourself on the back because you went over 10,000 steps on your FitBit..........please just use that energy to walk back home, and stop looking perplexed because you can't reach your goals even though you "exercise every day". You're not doing yourself any favors, and you're occupying a machine when someone who really wants to work might actually use it for what it's intended for.

Sorry, I really had to speak my peace on this one. My employer had a nice size fitness center, and there were always the usual suspects guilty of this offense. It became annoying because others are trying to fit in a lunchtime workout, and there are some who are just looking for some form of emotional gratification. If you are rehabbing something, then this isn't aimed at you. On the other side, don't hop on the treadmill with no incline and at less than 2.5MPH, read your book, and then whine because you "are at the gym every day, but can't seem to lose the weight".............UGGGGHHHHHH.

WOW. Just WOW.

If they get emotional gratification from it, then who are you to judge? You should be happy that they have found something that gratifies them emotionally, sorry to hear it bothers your so much.

At the peak of my half marathon training I was running in the dead of winter on a treadmill for 2 hours including warm up and cool down. Do you know in those 2 hours how many people step on one of the other treadmills, walk for 10 minutes and step off? TONS! Not once did I ever think that they were wasting space, they deserve the gym as much as I do and they can do whatever the hell they want.

Well, I guess that's why I initially called it a pet peeve, because it's my own internal grievance. I think the point you missed in my grievance is not necessarily the people who use the treadmill, but is more the people who use it as a means of patting themselves on the back, and then *kitten* because they have made no progress. Maybe my point got masked in the other parts of my tirade, but I guess it made you feel better to choose the parts that suited your agenda.
    This was pretty much the only point you made that I somewhat agree with. Aside from that, I pretty much disagree with just about every point you made.
    What are you comparing this to.......sitting on the couch, sitting at a desk, sitting in a coma?...........okay, then maybe I'll concede being somewhat wrong.
    Do you know in those 2 hours how many people step on one of the other treadmills, walk for 10 minutes and step off? TONS! Not once did I ever think that they were wasting space, they deserve the gym as much as I do and they can do whatever the hell they want.
    Not exactly sure what point you were trying to make with the first sentence, but okay, thanks for sharing. As far as your second sentence, I guess that makes you better than me for not having such thoughts.......congratulations.
    Once again, these are my internal grievances. I don't wear them on my shoulder for all to see. I'm not casting a judgmental scowl at them from across the gym. Why are they worrying about what I think? In the grand scheme, I am nobody to them, and in the end, they have no clue what I think.

I appreciate your stance, but "agree to disagree" will have to be how I sign off. I'll continue to have my grievances (internally), that don't affect me and don't affect anybody I see at the gym, and you can continue to think that I am some kind of bully for simply expressing my mind in an open forum.

The person walking 2 mph has just as much of a right to be on that treadmill as somebody running at 7 mph. I have just as much of a right to push 135 lbs in a squat rack as somebody who pushes 500.

The only reason one should be annoyed is if they are on the treadmill for 2 hours during peak hours. Then that's just rude. This goes for everybody regardless of their fitness level.

If I'm not feeling cardio after my sets, I will hop on a treadmill and walk. And will give zero phucks if that annoys you.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    TO THE OP:

In case I wasn't clear their youngin, if someone's a noob and they step over my barbell when I'm deadlifting, or doing pendlays, it might hit their underbits, on porpoise.

You missed "their" as well.

I peppered that nusse with plenty little things like that.

Flipper. Just saiyan.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I do.

I honestly have never seen anyone wipe down a barbell after squatting or benching. Nor DBs for that matter tbh.

nope- never- never seen anyone wipe down a bar- with the exception of blood- because well- that's just unsanitary to not clean it up- I mean- it's grooved- so I doubt you're going to get it honestly clean- but for phucks sake- try.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    TO THE OP:

Flipper. Just saiyan.

I used to live watching flipper when I was a kid.

And yes, I just aged myself!
  • jeremywm1977
    edited January 2015
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »

WOW. Just WOW.

The person walking 2 mph has just as much of a right to be on that treadmill as somebody running at 7 mph. I have just as much of a right to push 135 lbs in a squat rack as somebody who pushes 500.

I'm not sure I ever said they don't have a right to be on it, so I too am in favor of people's rights. On the other hand, if that same person proclaims that they "exercise every day" and are frustrated because they just don't seem to be losing weight, that's where my pet peeve kicks in.............which is the main crux of my grievance that 3 of you so far have missed.
  • dbmata
    Options
    TO THE OP:

Flipper. Just saiyan.

I used to live watching flipper when I was a kid.

And yes, I just aged myself!

I watched it all the time. It was a great show.
  • jeremywm1977
    Options
    For further clarification of my point, for those who are challenged by reading everything within it's context, and then formulating a response based upon ALL of the information in front of them, I present the following math lesson:

Walk on treadmill = I don't have a problem (regardless of your speed) + have fun

Put forth half-*kitten* effort on treadmill + whine that you aren't meeting your goals = problem (although not a problem that I will blurt out without your asking, so please don't preoccupy yourself with what I am thinking)
  • dbmata
    Options
    For further clarification of my point, for those who are challenged by reading everything within it's context, and then formulating a response based upon ALL of the information in front of them, I present the following math lesson:
    For people who read what I wrote and then didn't immediately read my mind. I admonish you for not being Nostradamus, and able to translate something that is marginally related to english.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

Walk on treadmill = I don't have a problem (regardless of your speed) + have fun

Put forth half-*kitten* effort on treadmill + whine that you aren't meeting your goals = problem (although not a problem that I will blurt out without your asking, so please don't preoccupy yourself with what I am thinking)

I see guys in the free weights not lifting to their max. So what? It's just not that day. Deload or it's rep day vs low rep day.

I don't see how one can put forth the effort you require when walking on the treadmill. Are they supposed to be at incline 100?

Besides, guys complaining about treadmills.................
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

so if I am in the squat rack and squatting 225# but my max is 270# then I should not be in the squat rack???????

and +2 to the comment about guys complaining about treadmills...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I do.

nope- never- never seen anyone wipe down a bar- with the exception of blood- because well- that's just unsanitary to not clean it up- I mean- it's grooved- so I doubt you're going to get it honestly clean- but for phucks sake- try.

sometimes, I wipe it with my towel just to wipe it ...but I really have no clue why I do that...
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

so if I am in the squat rack and squatting 225# but my max is 270# then I should not be in the squat rack???????

and +2 to the comment about guys complaining about treadmills...

Apparently, you can, but then you can't complain that you can't squat more. Or something.