Options
    ^^ and no one ever believed that he needed psychiatric hold? #facepalm
  • TheNoLeafClover
    TheNoLeafClover Posts: 335 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    ^^ and no one ever believed that he needed psychiatric hold? #facepalm
    He was amazingly good at gaslighting and getting people to believe his insanity. When I think about it in retrospect, it completely baffles me.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I only have one experience with dating, and it was terrible. I was friends with a man online for a few years, when he suddenly took a strong interest in me. I'd just turned 18, and being the lonely and naive girl I was, I fell for it. I never met him in person, thankfully, but he strung me along for two years. Over time I found out the following:

He was hiding his age from me (he was 28 years older).
    He was doing the same thing to several other women.
    He was very good at lies and manipulation.
    He thought women being raped by other women was "hot".
    He believed he was a vampire alien/human hybrid (yes, I'm serious).
    He enjoyed making jokes about child sex trafficking.
    He believed his doctor was inserting government tracking chips in his skin.
    He believed he was a spiritual revolutionary sent here to awaken the sheeple to the "Truth"

He eventually admitted he liked that I was vulnerable and had essentially been grooming me from the start. All of that doesn't even come close to covering his insanity. I took me too long to realize I deserved better. Needless to say, my standards are much higher now and it will be quite awhile before I attempt dating again.

Sounds like a classic cult leader! Thank God you woke up.
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I only have one experience with dating, and it was terrible. I was friends with a man online for a few years, when he suddenly took a strong interest in me. I'd just turned 18, and being the lonely and naive girl I was, I fell for it. I never met him in person, thankfully, but he strung me along for two years. Over time I found out the following:

He believed he was a spiritual revolutionary sent here to awaken the sheeple to the "Truth"

He eventually admitted he liked that I was vulnerable and had essentially been grooming me from the start. All of that doesn't even come close to covering his insanity. I took me too long to realize I deserved better. Needless to say, my standards are much higher now and it will be quite awhile before I attempt dating again.

I'm very sorry that happened to you....my face after reading (not at you...the guy):

colinfarreldisgusted.gif
  • TheNoLeafClover
    TheNoLeafClover Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    sklarbodds wrote: »

I'm very sorry that happened to you....my face after reading (not at you...the guy):

colinfarreldisgusted.gif
    Thank you. It messed me up, but it helps to be reminded I'm not the only one who thinks he's a bucket of crazy.
  • redhead_che
    redhead_che Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I've been on a good amount of online dating sites with horror stories galore....sprinkled with a few successes (not long term sadly) but my favorite one was the marriage proposal on the second date. ring, on one knee and everything. .....in a restaurant....with people....staring.... #awkward
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I've been on a good amount of online dating sites with horror stories galore....sprinkled with a few successes (not long term sadly) but my favorite one was the marriage proposal on the second date. ring, on one knee and everything. .....in a restaurant....with people....staring.... #awkward

Haha! At least you are obviously doing something right....even if it's working on the wrong people for now. Make sure you only use your superpowers for good, not evil.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I still cannot believe that whole must meet after 1 hour of talking online. My mind thinks that it is like a fake profile like how some men get the "service" message.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Wowsa.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm reading these horror stories and realizing just how lucky I was to find my wife before all this nonsense started! Here's to meeting people the old-fashioned way: get drunk at a bar, meet stranger, smush privates together.

ETA: That's not how I met my wife, but damn it if that doesn't sound a whole lot better than the ridiculousness y'all are going through!
  • K8yMac
    K8yMac Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    ^^^bwaaahaahaa....^^^ "smush privates together"....I love it!
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    ^^^bwaaahaahaa....^^^ "smush privates together"....I love it!

It works best when you take a running start...
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Try dating when you are over 40, have a teenager and have been divorced twice. The creepy and the strange men online just seem to be attracted to me like a moth to a flame. I've been on some bizarre dates with men who seemed nice enough over the phone and through texts who then turn out to be completely different than what I had expected. Best one is the guy who talked about his ex-wife throughout the entire date, then leaned in for a kiss at the end of the date! Eww, just no. I'm done with online dating forever. Would rather meet through normal avenues like getting set up through well-meaning friends lol.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This thread just brought back memories of when I last was single and on lavalife. I was in my early 40s and I received a message from a somewhat older man who had this on his profile:

I am a very physically active man with a rewarding career and love to travel and seek new adventures (good so far, I thought). While I am in my mid 50s, since I take such good care of myself, I prefer to date younger women, preferable around 30 but will go as young as 18 if you are intellectually mature for your age (my brother will really appreciate me introducing him to my pretty smart 19 year old niece!).

I was thinking about being sarcastic and replying that I wouldn't think of making him compromising his standards by dating someone well past their expiration date. Instead I just ignored him. I laugh now but at the time I seriously thought about going to the local church's singles mixer eventhough I'm agnostic. ;)
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Dating for me was horrible and if I'm ever single again I'll just stay that way.

Try being a woman who's an atheist and wants to remain childfree in the relatively conservative Midwest. Ugh. The laughs just never end.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I know a lot of you had some pretty sad stories. DO you wonder how the other person tells these stories?
  • redhead_che
    redhead_che Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Dating for me was horrible and if I'm ever single again I'll just stay that way.

Try being a woman who's an atheist and wants to remain childfree in the relatively conservative Midwest. Ugh. The laughs just never end.

....that's me. Crap! :P My prospects just dwindled even more.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »

Move to the east coast. I know some people who also want to live childfree nowadays.
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I know a lot of you had some pretty sad stories. DO you wonder how the other person tells these stories?

I've wondered that. I've also been the person that just blew a couple of people off after a date because I couldn't figure out how to say, "Sorry, just not into it."

I have figured that out now, and do that consistently when it isn't working for me and hope they will as well.

That said, yesterday afternoon I set a date for Wednesday night with a new "match." In discussing where to meet and location, figured out he is interviewing at my office next week. Hoping that won't be awkward.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    My experience is ridiculous as well. Try looking for someone at 67 when you don't look it, but every guy your age wants someone who is 47 to 55. Even apologizing, but ..."you are out of my range, thank you very much." ;-/ Or this one - you seem very active... huh? (profile has his statement: "I am boring")

Or else you're only getting responses from guys in Alaska or Colorado, when you live in NYC.

And then there are the guys that are just hackers; not actually members of the site and end up screwing up your account so you have to reset your password and redo your whole profile. What's that about?