How do I achieve how do I avoid the wider flat waist but a smaller waist (Pictures)

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,502 Member
    maryjane28 wrote: »
    "bodybuilding" build up your lats and your glutes for the hourglass look. Don't do anything twisting on your abs like russian twists for example,it will make you boxy
    Nah. Unless one is specifically trying to increase size on their obliques, just doing Russian twists won't do this. If one has a boxy shape, it's because they have a boxy shape.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    How in the world did this girl lose almost 15lbs in 14 days? Man, my eat what I want within my calorie range thing I'm doing is obviously overrated...LOL I only did 6lbs in 30 days. :(
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    auddii wrote: »
    Hyspin wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    I would love the 10 day waist too. Not sure how she achieved this look in just 14 days...

Highly unlikely she did - well, without lighting, water/carb manipulation, etc.

Your probably right base of her workout plan and diet plan.
    http://www.allouteffort.com/2012/11/how-my-wife-lost-13lbs-in-2-weeks.html?m=1

When you say water manipulation did you mean body wraps?

No. Basically you can bloat yourself with water/sodium/carbs for a 'before' and then deplete yourself to look leaner for an 'after' pic.

Is that what they do?!

There are several videos of people who do before after videos and how to "cheat" it. My favorite is a guy who takes an after photo looking lean and then binges on salt and tons of liquids and then takes his "before" photo. The difference between the two photos is only a few hours.

Furious Pete did one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M957dACQyfU
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    ckholland3 wrote: »
    OP, are you talking about corset training, where people wear the tight thing around their waist that deforms their organs in the abdomen? I don't think that's healthy. For a special occasion, consider some spanx and then take them off! I've seen images of how the organs get compressed and it's not good.

I've seen pics too, and it look like it would hurt.
  • Hyspin
    Hyspin Posts: 76 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    This making me wonder about other body manipulation a besides photography or photoshop. Like body wrap how long do the results last (6hrs, 12hrs, 24 hrs maybe) and corset training how much weeks of training does it take before the body will hold it shape for a couple of days without the corset?
    Sorry, I don't believe that corset training will work at all for structural enhancing when it's off. And a body wrap depletes water out of the system as a whole, but the effect would only last as long as water isn't reintroduced into the body. And I doubt that people who dehydrate themselves purposely everyday just so their waist looks a little smaller. Those that do, I would note with a body dysmorphia issue.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Apparently corset training does work but has to be done over a long period. Women who practice say that waist will hold it shape without the corset (after weeks of training) but you can't go without the corset for too long (like a week) or the your ribs start to adjust back to their original shape. They say you start hear blunt crack noise as the rib readjust. I was think I would try out corset training following maintaining my goal measurements for a year.
    Well I wouldn't say that's "working". If someone wore a cast for 6 weeks, the body part that it surrounded would be atrophied and "thinner" but that's only because it's been constrained in a molded contraption. So not only does it return to normal size within a short time, but muscle strength is completely compromised.
    The reality is that if someone wants a smaller waist, they just need to reduce the body fat around it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

When I say it works I mean by that you can go a few days without and still have your shape just like diet and exercise you can go a few days without, but if you keep going without diet and exercise you will lose your shape, right, so is it really any different they both need consistent maintenance. Plus I know a few women on youtube who workout with corsets so still have a strong core (as compared to average individual) so muscle comprimise is a non issue, do keep in mind that the transverse muscle is also called the corset muscle so is already shape similarly to the corset. But I can see that most people who where them don't have six pack definition, but then again that not the definition they're aiming for.
  • Hyspin
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    OP, are you talking about corset training, where people wear the tight thing around their waist that deforms their organs in the abdomen? I don't think that's healthy. For a special occasion, consider some spanx and then take them off! I've seen images of how the organs get compressed and it's not good.

You mean like the way our organs get compressed when a woman is pregnant for about 9 months? That level of compression. The female body is very resilient I think it will be fine once you do it in moderation or slowly
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2015

You mean like the way our organs get compressed when a woman is pregnant for about 9 months? That level of compression. The female body is very resilient I think it will be fine once you do it in moderation or slowly

I've had that compression during pregnancy. I got DSP (an advanced form of SPD; my pelvis actually separated - as in, the cartilage tore and I was in a brace and had to use a walker - and my hips dislocated as a result of my pelvic bones not being connected and the hips therefore rotating abnormally) and as for up top, I was constipated but felt the constant squeezing pressure from my uterus on my bowels (a fun combination), I couldn't breathe and needed to sleep on my side with a pillow propping up my top half so I could get in any air.

I definitely wouldn't want to put anything remotely similar on myself on an ongoing basis, nor, AFAIK, is the body built to accept such pressures except during very brief periods for a minimum total quantity during a lifetime (approximately the last 2-3 months of pregnancy).

However, I understand that it's a personal choice.

But to be clear, neither would I be quick to kind of wave off corseting as no worse than all of this and therefore, no big deal, nor would I compare it to a natural occurrence such as pregnancy. That's just me.

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    OP, don't confuse regular corset wearing in costume with the extremes of waist training. The latter can be quite dangerous.

Light corset wearing, as cosplayers and burlesque performers often do, is not a hazard, but it is also much, MUCH looser and careful than "training." Corset TRAINING is an effort to forcibly reshape the body against its nature. Wearing a well-made and safely laced corset is no more dangerous than spanx (and, in my limited cosplaying experience, is more comfortable than spanx!) but it does NOT endeavor to be so tight as to change the shape of the body beyond the time it is worn! If you like the look for fun and dress up, try a simple model IN YOUR PROPER SIZE (NOT smaller, as "training" fans will tell you) and enjoy. But, don't buy in to promises of body modification when the corset is off. For that to happen, your body has to be damaged in the process.
  • Hyspin
    edited January 2015
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

I've had that compression during pregnancy. I got DSP (an advanced form of SPD; my pelvis actually separated - as in, the cartilage tore and I was in a brace and had to use a walker - and my hips dislocated as a result of my pelvic bones not being connected and the hips therefore rotating abnormally) and as for up top, I was constipated but felt the constant squeezing pressure from my uterus on my bowels (a fun combination), I couldn't breathe and needed to sleep on my side with a pillow propping up my top half so I could get in any air.

I definitely wouldn't want to put anything remotely similar on myself on an ongoing basis, nor, AFAIK, is the body built to accept such pressures except during very brief periods for a minimum total quantity during a lifetime (approximately the last 2-3 months of pregnancy).

However, I understand that it's a personal choice.

But to be clear, neither would I be quick to kind of wave off corseting as no worse than all of this and therefore, no big deal, nor would I compare it to a natural occurrence such as pregnancy. That's just me.

I kind of see your point but I find people assume the worse level of everything,
    But don't consider what other things the body goes through with natural occurrences and how some individuals might handle it seamlessly like my friend and other not so seamlessly like in your case.

Minor corset training is harmless I not doing Victorian or Edwardian style 8 inch waist. I am thinking more of the 1960's Elizabeth Taylor (actually much lighter than that even) or contemporary pinup model of today, enough to give more realistic hourglass. Actually can compress my body to about the size I want now, by just sucking it in, that not enough to crush any organs.

My apologies if you took any offense, but I was answering an extreme point of view with another extreme situation, to let them see that the body goes through that kind of thing naturally. I mean I could explain that I only going from 26 to 24 inches but once people hear waist training they act as if I said that I am going to slice my tips of my fingers off or something ( which I actually accidentally did to my thumb in college, actually a funny story) Anyway it nothing like that, I just have goal and I know exercise /genetics can only bring so close.

That is all.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    I was not offended in the slightest.

Good luck in your endeavor.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member

Nope, not my thing. I'm happy with my body. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,502 Member
    This making me wonder about other body manipulation a besides photography or photoshop. Like body wrap how long do the results last (6hrs, 12hrs, 24 hrs maybe) and corset training how much weeks of training does it take before the body will hold it shape for a couple of days without the corset?
    Sorry, I don't believe that corset training will work at all for structural enhancing when it's off. And a body wrap depletes water out of the system as a whole, but the effect would only last as long as water isn't reintroduced into the body. And I doubt that people who dehydrate themselves purposely everyday just so their waist looks a little smaller. Those that do, I would note with a body dysmorphia issue.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Apparently corset training does work but has to be done over a long period. Women who practice say that waist will hold it shape without the corset (after weeks of training) but you can't go without the corset for too long (like a week) or the your ribs start to adjust back to their original shape. They say you start hear blunt crack noise as the rib readjust. I was think I would try out corset training following maintaining my goal measurements for a year.
    Well I wouldn't say that's "working". If someone wore a cast for 6 weeks, the body part that it surrounded would be atrophied and "thinner" but that's only because it's been constrained in a molded contraption. So not only does it return to normal size within a short time, but muscle strength is completely compromised.
    The reality is that if someone wants a smaller waist, they just need to reduce the body fat around it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

When I say it works I mean by that you can go a few days without and still have your shape just like diet and exercise you can go a few days without, but if you keep going without diet and exercise you will lose your shape, right, so is it really any different they both need consistent maintenance. Plus I know a few women on youtube who workout with corsets so still have a strong core (as compared to average individual) so muscle comprimise is a non issue, do keep in mind that the transverse muscle is also called the corset muscle so is already shape similarly to the corset. But I can see that most people who where them don't have six pack definition, but then again that not the definition they're aiming for.
    Sorry, but not buying it. Very well versed in physiology, kinesiology, human anatomy and bio mechanics and not using a muscle will cause atrophy and deconditions it. That's initially why anyone who takes on exercising a muscle that they haven't used in awhile, gets DOMS. One can't "curl" their abs forward in a corset, so concentric contraction isn't happening. Yes one can "flex" their abs in a corset, but supports of any type relieve stress off a muscle. That's why people wrap sprains, strains and joints when injured.
    I'm sure I won't dissuade you, but it's important for others that read about "corset training" that it's more of an "enhancement" when wearing it and really does nothing for the body physically (with the exception of temporary compressed skin).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You do not exercise with a corset on - it restricts lung capacity and movement. Women who corset train tend to have weak backs and are encouraged to exercise without the corset on.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Corset training = vain to me.
    The lengths some people go to..... :s
  • Hyspin

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You do not exercise with a corset on - it restricts lung capacity and movement. Women who corset train tend to have weak backs and are encouraged to exercise without the corset on.

Waist trainers at usally just below the rib cafe so also the corset used during exercise is more the water retention type.
  • Hyspin
    Corset training = vain to me.
    The lengths some people go to..... :s

No doubt. I do not deny it, everybody has they own brand this is mine. I think wearing makeup every day is super vain so yeah to each their own.
  • Hyspin

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Sorry, but not buying it. Very well versed in physiology, kinesiology, human anatomy and bio mechanics and not using a muscle will cause atrophy and deconditions it. That's initially why anyone who takes on exercising a muscle that they haven't used in awhile, gets DOMS. One can't "curl" their abs forward in a corset, so concentric contraction isn't happening. Yes one can "flex" their abs in a corset, but supports of any type relieve stress off a muscle. That's why people wrap sprains, strains and joints when injured.
    I'm sure I won't dissuade you, but it's important for others that read about "corset training" that it's more of an "enhancement" when wearing it and really does nothing for the body physically (with the exception of temporary compressed skin).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It definetly a enhancement. It not an exercise and you do have to excise your body without it but I have seen people do it with it or something similar like a sweat band (think a few celebrities are doing the corset style sweat band I am thinking of).

No I am not going to change my mind my goal is an hourglass figure and nature can only go so far. I plan on just getting down 26 inches to 24 inches once I reach my fitness goal 26 inches. Which is only 2 inches most of us can suck in about 2 inches. Everyone has their weird ideal, like thigh gap, makeup everyday, hair bleaching, Perms, Botox, being completely hairless, rhinoplasty, lipo, extreme dieting, etc.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I'm just going to put this out there and this is just MY personal opinion. It definitely comes down to genetics AND.... whether or not your train your core. Specifically your obliques.

I think that the picture you showed in particular could be water retention in her muscles after working out, lighting, etc.

But from what i've seen women who work their obliques or core specifically generally have a wider looking waist at low body fat percentages. Those who have what i call "Cheater abs" aka they only have abs showing because they are low in body fat NOT because they are "shredded" generally have the type of look that i think women admire.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Hyspin
    Oh yeah it is only compressing muscle and skin as you said at the rate I will be doing it. But more extreme style compresses bone
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I'm just going to put this out there and this is just MY personal opinion. It definitely comes down to genetics AND.... whether or not your train your core. Specifically your obliques.

I think that the picture you showed in particular could be water retention in her muscles after working out, lighting, etc.

But from what i've seen women who work their obliques or core specifically generally have a wider looking waist at low body fat percentages. Those who have what i call "Cheater abs" aka they only have abs showing because they are low in body fat NOT because they are "shredded" generally have the type of look that i think women admire.

Just my 2 cents.

"Cheater abs" lol, that sounds funny, it kind of sounds like people don't have abs naturally they have to buy it. Though I think some halloween costumes have that option.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    The "Britney Spears syndrome" section of this article might interest some.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/sexy_female_training

Though I personally think maybe Britney looks different just due to lighting, angles and age.