Options

Replies

• FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year Cool Kids

Congrats on your new job offer BEEPS
    Hello to all newbies
    Training to do the Broad Street Run- 10 miles in May. Lottery starts Feb 1st hope I get in
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your job offer Beeps, that is wonderful news.

10,415 steps on my tracker today! Yeah, I am averaging a little over 8,000. My goal this week is 10,000 steps everyday!
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Awesome on the job offer Beeps!!

Shoveling and more shoveling were in store for me last night and again this morning. It was not bad last night, but so, so cold this morning- it was -2 degrees f. this morning when I left to bring Jake to the sitter's house and I was out before sun up to shovel so it was even colder then. I am still debating on looking in to the rec center in the town I moved to. I have heard really good stuff about it. I just have to make the time to go there.

Hope everyone has a good day.
  • amyrllin1
    amyrllin1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Good morning, congrats on the job offer Beeps! Kellysue it also very cold here in Ontario, -15celsius this morning! Even the dog doesn't want to walk and is curled up on my bed right now! Nice life..
    I went to the gym last week and did well on the bike and also did some upper body weights, low weights with reps. My sciatica is not improving so next is a CT scan. Until then I cannot run and I am missing it so much! I had signed up for a race at the end of the month and will have to give my bib away.
    Hello everyone else! I am also new to the boards, I don't post often but I read it everyday and the support and encouragement is wonderful!!!
  • roady29
    roady29 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Cool Kids!
    Sounds like a good group. I will be 41 next month, I have about 100 to go. Just started back with MFP on the 5th and I am down 3lbs!! Slow and steady wins the race. I have two boys 10 and 6 and have been married for 13 years.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Happy Tuesday.
    Beeps - congrats on the job offer! woot! woot! Also, congrats on the weight loss. Slow and steady wins the race....you'll do it.
    Carmel - those sugar cravings are the worst. Can't really offer you any advice as I am like you, would rather eat sweets than anything else. Sigh. I guess just limiting yourself to one little bit each day may help?? So extreme fit is getting more extreme? Sounds intense for sure.
    Kate - great job getting rid of stuff and making some $$ while you're at it!
    Fay - good luck with the race lottery! Sounds like a fun run.
    Ruby - keep on steppin'!
    Amy - injuries suck. Good job with the strength training while out of running. Hopefully your CT scan will provide some answers.
    Welcome back goalie. Good job on the loss over the holidays. Not many of us can say that!

Got a double workout in yesterday. Back to back classes. Did 45 min of Zumba and then 45 min of Body Blast - total body workout. Eating / water was good as well.

Despite the exercise, didn't sleep that well, so am tired today. :tired_face:

Welcome newbies. :smile:
  • MomFLYer
    MomFLYer Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Roady29 - LOVE that image you've got there!

Ok, the nursing home I work at is "quarantined" in that we're asking visitors to either wear masks or limit their time. Most of us that work there are also wearing masks (did I start a fashion trend?). I'm scrubbing my hands so much my knuckles are getting raw (or it at least feels like it...) So, 3 guesses on what we're dealing with - and the first 2 don't count! lol.

I just hope this blows over quickly & everyone feels better soon!
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Good Morning Cool Kids.

I got my full {new, shorter} cardio in this morning. I will be going to town a little later to do the shopping for the week. I'm not working tonight, so there is no rush on getting going. Just want to make it the Catholic Thrift Store before they close at 1300. With the holidays it has been a couple of weeks since I have fed my shirt addiction, so I really need a fix :) The funny thing is, that with two big walk-in closets full to the brim, I wear the same five or ten shirts over and over. Go figure.

Beeps, great to hear you employment prospects are looking up. Hope it works out for you.

Kelly Sue, and all the rest of you guys shoveling snow, thought you would enjoy this video. All you need to do is set up a train track down your driveway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6acPX_00M9Q

I love seeing all of you'll are having good workouts and eating right. I did go over on pizza last night, but I have a few pounds of wiggle room yet.

Welcome to the new guys.

Larro
  • Sylvarose
    Sylvarose Posts: 70 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hey everyone...checking in! Going to the Y tonight. Was a frustrating weekend. Had my weigh-in on Saturday - no change. Arghhh! I've been doing so well and for the 3rd time in a row I've remained the same. I mean I know we have plateaus but to plateau after only losing 10lbs? *shake head* Having said all that, I'm still doing well. Been sticking to my plan and as I said, will be going to the Y. Am still drinking my water and per the feedback from my therapist am reducing my sodium from what it was last week. I will say that while the scales aren't reflecting a change some of my clothes are...so I'll take that as a win. I'm just holding out that on Saturday I'll be down some...just a 1/4 of a pound would be nice. :)
  • suevillano784
    Options
    Count me in. 45 as if Dec 2014. I have 25lbs to loose and it's been a never ending struggle. I'm hope this forum will keep me focused and motivated.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,927 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Thanks for all the "congrats"! I am still negotiating...but expect I will start Monday.

Eeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkk!!

Got my weightlifting done this morning. Have minor hockey week duties this evening. Hubby leaves on biz trip at 4 tomorrow morning. Zzzzzzzzzzz.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All~ half way through the week- hoping it goes quickly and quietly!! Got a good report for hubs yesterday. His kidneys have rebounded much better than expected. He still has the mental confusion, but all of the tests that they have run have not shown any damage to his brain, so it appears to all be metabolic at this point. They are mostly positive that this will clear up- but can't say definitively that it will. I will have to take the "mostly positive" for now. No other new stuff to report today. Trying very hard to eat right- not easy right now still. I will get back there, I will, I will, I will!!

Larro- thanks for the video- if only! I tried sharing it with my dad as he is a huge train buff! Hopefully it shared OK.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Good Morning all,
    Well, my plan to run yesterday was a bust. I was SO tired from the sleepless night, I went home after work and lay down until DH came home. Had to curl at 8:30, so I did get a bit of exercise in from the sweeping, and sweep I did! I did sleep last night! Yay! Feels like a victory when I get a good night's sleep in. LOL. My eating was not as clean as it has been - was really craving the sugar, so ended up having 4 jube jubes and a sugar cookie. Feel more on track today...keeping my fingers crossed it lasts.

Larro - very cool video! I never really thought about how they would clear the tracks of snow before. We have several a railroad track that runs very near hear and it actually has a "snow train", a tourist trek into the canyon. I have never taken it in the winter, but have seen pictures of it and it is breathtaking. I have taken the train in the fall for the fall colours. Spectacular!

Kelly - that is good news about your husband. Hopefully the mental confusion will pass soon.

Sylva - a change in your clothes is really what counts, but I do understand your frustration about the scales not moving. Here's to a loss on your next weigh in day!

Mom - oh dear - are you dealing with the flu? We have had that happen many times at our hospital. I think the worst is when the LTC patients all have gastro. Those poor nurses! Tis the season.

suevillano - welcome to the cool kids party. :smile:
  • nickpnh
    nickpnh Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Larro How did you do the 5-2 fast thing to start out. I made it to 14 or 15 hours on the fast. But the first thing I ate triggered massive hunger. No way I am going to make it with only 500 calories for the day. Was looking for something to shake things up but not sure this is going to do it for me.
    KS - thinking of you and hubs.
    Sylva - plateaus suck. Have you tried a scale that measures fat % too? Maybe seeing those numbers move would help your motivation. However make sure you measure under consistent conditions as hydration changes the measurement. (I always do first thing in the morning).
    Beeps - Congrats on the job!
    Ruby - Nice stepping! I have been trying to increase too but this polar vortex makes walking outside unappealing...
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All.
    Sylvarose - Do not let the scale get you down. If it continues to demotivate you put it away for awhile. I am focusing on setting goals each day, one at a time. I have put my scale away as it seems to make me feel negative and stop trying if I do not see if move. I am going to wait about 4 weeks to weigh in.

Larry - I hope you had good luck shirt shopping

Kelly - We have been dealing with really cold too. It was -17 yesterday here in WI. Today is 17 and it feels like a heat wave. Barely need a coat. LOL

Sederski - so glad to hear you got sleep last night! The day feels much better well rested. Good job on limiting you sugar craving to manageable yesterday. One day at a time.

Suevillano - Welcome :)

I have been having a great week. My new step tracker is really helping me. I started tracking calories again yesterday. It felt good to get back in control. We can do this.
    Everyone get up and move today!!!
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Good Morning.

I'm done with my cardio and breakfast, and have three loads of laundry behind me. My cleaning lady is going to be a no-show today, so it's all on me this week. I had planned on grilling up a few Larro BBQ Turkey burgers for supper. But Margie just called and is taking the afternoon off. There were several things that got left off the grocery list yesterday, so we are going to town to wrap up those loose ends and eat supper. I'll do the burgers tomorrow night.

I did get half a dozen shirts. Including Tommy, Dockers, and a perfectly faded heavy Adirondack denim. But the real find was five pairs of shorts. Those were the usual Dockers, Boca and Farrah, but also Reel Legends and a pair of Columbia board shorts. Can't wait for spring so I can wear them.

Nick, I ate stir-fry veggies along with a little chicken or fish on my fast days. I stayed away from bread, potatoes, rice, milk and any other calorie dense food. I was never overly hungry. I wouldn't try to do a lot of cardio on that low amount of food though. That was why I gave it up and started counting calories everyday. I was doing too much cardio to be supported by the calories.

Kelly Sue, glad there is some improvement with hubby. Hoping for more.

Ruby, great stepping.

Sderski, sleep is precious. Glad you got a little. I'm blessed with good sleep patterns. {unless I'm on a reading jag, like now} But Margie wakes up early every morning, then sleeps in front of the TV at night. And when I have the need for sugar, I eat a handful of grapes. Sugar is sugar, but fruit is better than cookies.

Sylva, hang in there. Try changing up what ever you are doing. Either eat a little more, or a little less. And what I have learned is the MFP estimates of calorie burns are way off. I do 120% of the cardio I log. Also be very strict about weighing your food. When possible, enter your recipes in the data base so you take away any guess work. Good luck.

Sue, welcome. If a kind word will help, you are in the right place. Good luck with your life style change.

Hope everyone is having a good day. The dryer is calling, so I'd better go.

Larro
  • Sylvarose
    Sylvarose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Afternoon all,

KellySue - Good news on your husband.

Sderreski- Baby steps are good steps - take and celebrate the wins no matter how "small" they you might think they seem.

Ruby- i know what you mean by trackers - i love my fitbit zip. I wear it clipped to my bra all day at work and at night when I get home and change into comfy clothes it gets clipped to my shirt until literally I go to bed

Larro - Thanks for the advice on MFP and the estimates. I have gotten out my digital food scales this week and have done better at weighing my portions. Love love love the recipe feature of MFP!

All thanks for the advice on the plateau and scales. I actually don't own any scales. I get weighed either by my therapist or my doctor. Right now my therapist is seeing me on a weekly schedule as I transition to this change in lifestyle (the eating and getting more exercise) and I'm on a 3 month schedule with my doc for visits.

So I'm just keeping on one day at a time..one meal and one work out at a time until then. :)

SR
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump Day Cool Kids!

I rode Buttercup to work this morning. It was fun, but I froze my face off! I couldn't put the visor down because it kept fogging up in the cold. Regardless, it was a great way to start the day! Also got a walk in at lunch, and that was nice. Food & water under control so far today. Yesterday I did great until friend suggested we go for dinner and a cocktail. I'm so weak in the eves. :\

Kate, wow, things are looking good for you! Pic of the new doo?
    Caramel, as you can hear, my habits are creeping up on me too! Glad you have extra extreme fitness to keep you in line.
    Myg, you sure did cook up a storm. It all sounded yummy. I love black eyed peas.
    Beeps, so cool about the job offer! Woot woot!
    Faytwain, the Broad Street run sounds great. Good luck in the lottery.
    Ruby, I've got a Fitbit too. It does help remind you to get off your butt and take a few more laps before dinner! Sounds like you've got things under control. Good job!
    Kely Sue, did you make it to the rec center yet? I hope you like it. That was great news to hear about your hubby. I hope he continues to improve.
    Amyrllin, sorry about the sciatica. It's good that you can at least get on a bike for exercise. Hope the CT scan gives a clue.
    Sdereski, you're doing great on having a streak of good eating/drinking/exercising days. Glad your sleeplessness didn't carry on. I totally get how a good night's sleep is reason to celebrate.
    Larro, glad you got the shirt fix! The train was amazing to watch. We don't have trains here anymore. They kept sliding into the river gorges. That, and we ran out of old growth redwoods, so not much to haul.
    Sylvarose, aren't plateaus maddening!?! But don't succumb to it. You're kinda vulnerable when you're frustrated, and it's easy to slip. Hold tight. It WILL pass.
    Nick, good to hear from you. Sorry about the polar vortex. I'm sending California sun thoughts your way.

We saw a whale when we were kayaking this weekend! It's the first we've seen this season. It means the boys are coming back from Baja on their way to Alaska. The moms and babies will be along in March. Can't wait. I love a good up close and personal whale show. Being in a tiny boat in the vast ocean with a big whale sure does put things in perspective!

Welcome newbies!

• Mzklutch
    Mzklutch Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Good morning Cool Kids,
    Finally able to sit down and post. It's been very busy at work, long days. I have been up to the gym by 4:30am so I can get my work out in since my work days are longer and busier.
    Like Caramel & Curious, I am really trying to get the eating/snacking on sweets no less, under control. So I feel the pain ladies.
    The one good thing helping is the continued habit of hard work outs.
    Beeps - sounds like congratulations is in order!
    Kelly S - hope the hubby keeps improving, sometimes the body goes through a lot when it is healing. God has a plan for ya'll so hang in there.
    Sylva - maybe you can ask them not to tell you the weight for 3 weeks because I agree it can be very frustrating. I had to leave the scale alone and start depending on my measurements and clothes altogether. I discovered as I started lifting, the scale didn't show much and it did mess with my psych.
    Curious I am sooo jealous. I just checked with a company to see how much it will cost to ship Blu Ivy to me. I will hopefully get to see her in a few weeks, once I pay for the shipping. Lol. We are trying to see if my husband finds a job here in the big TX. If he does then we will ship both bikes because we would get a discount. We are praying.
    Kate & Larro - I am soo envious but I am going to stay focus on the journey in front of me now and that keeps me motivated about being healthy. It is so hard not to want to become impatient with results. Good job you two!
    Off to work I go!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,927 Member
    Options
    KellySue - I am glad you are being positive! And I hope your husband is (permanently) on the mend very soon.

sdereski - my sleep is crappy right now, too! I am glad to read that you curl, though....that should help, for sure!

Thank you nickpnh.

ruby70 - sounds like you are on a roll. Great!!

larrodarro - being honest here....I skipped RIGHt over your "laundry tales". COmE ON! You are a WRITER....you can give 40+ better than that!!

curiousgeorge - so cool about the whales!! What a lovely thing to see.

Mzklutch - keep putting one foot in front of the other....you will create good habits easily if you are taking small steps towards your goals.

Today is a lifting day. I missed yesterday, so will try and squish two workouts in today. I can do it! Will be squat day + bench day. BOOM!