55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• ninayoungdog617
    ninayoungdog617 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Malteaster wrote: »
    I am finding this most inspiring. I am 55 and have struggled with my weight for the last five years. I'd love to lose 20lb and am watching this with interest.

I am also 55 and gained 30 pounds in the last 5 years while going through menopause. My entire body shape changed. I lost 20 pounds since Thanksgiving week when I decided I would lose weight over the holidays instead of packing on more weight. I did it by staying on a 1200 calorie a day diet and doing LOTS OF POWERWALKING! I walk at a very brisk pace for 60-85 minutes 6 days a week. I used to run for many years but find running painful in my hip. Ironically walking at a fast pace does not hurt. You cannot exercise away bad eating habits. You must change your diet and exercise. I finally see my waist again. 10 pounds to goal. I am stronger and wiser now.
  • cathy120861
    cathy120861 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Do you mean me, Cathy? Can i pretend you do, even if you actually mean a different Kathy? no on has ever every complimented me on my healthy eating before. maybe i am finally getting to be a grown up and committing myself to health!

the truth is that i just started working with an amazing nutritionist, who is helping me make a big push to cut down on carbs. plus, my first grandchild is due in a couple of weeks and i'll be damned if i am going to be a fat, sick old lady watching all of the fun but not able to play because she has to be close to her oxygen tank.
  • LittleRed2591
    LittleRed2591 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am 62 and struggling with the same 18 pounds that I keep losing and then refinding! My top weight was 185 and I developed Type II Diabetes but got that under control with diet and exercise. My lowest weight was 112 for about 5 seconds two years ago, then I maintained around 118 for a while. (I am just a hair over 5 feet tall). Two years ago I had a hip replacement and then a few months later some major eye surgery, all of which kept me fairly sedentary for a period of time and the weight crept up again.... 133 pounds by the end of last summer... but more significantly, my blood sugar went way, way too high. I decided I really needed to get back on MFP after fooling myself into thinking I didn't need it anymore. I've lost 12 pounds and would be very happy to get down to around 116 (that's my goal!) and avoid having to take any medication for my diabetes, which I haven't had to do YET. I actually go in for blood work tomorrow to see if my hard work over the last few months will keep me off the meds. I plateaued at 122 for a good 6 weeks but having been through this before I knew to just keep at it and it would start to move down again. I actually started to think the scale might just be "stuck" until yesterday morning when it FINALLY hit 121! Six pounds to goal! At 116 I'll weigh just about what I did when I graduated from high school back in 1970, though that weight is all in different places now!

I'd be happy to add anyone that would like to my "friends" list! Just be advised that I don't share my food diary for a number of reasons, and I will never look at yours unless asked.
  • cyrka2012
    cyrka2012 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HoganBirdie
    HoganBirdie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Do you mean me, Cathy? Can i pretend you do, even if you actually mean a different Kathy? no on has ever every complimented me on my healthy eating before. maybe i am finally getting to be a grown up and committing myself to health!

the truth is that i just started working with an amazing nutritionist, who is helping me make a big push to cut down on carbs. plus, my first grandchild is due in a couple of weeks and i'll be damned if i am going to be a fat, sick old lady watching all of the fun but not able to play because she has to be close to her oxygen tank.

• HoganBirdie
    Options

• HoganBirdie
    Options
    Sorry I spelled your name wrong. Yes I am talking about your eating habits. I try and stick to protein Nd vegees with a fruit here and there but I find I still get cravings for crackers and heavy carbs. Maybe I will try a protein bar.
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am 62 and struggling with the same 18 pounds that I keep losing and then refinding! My top weight was 185 and I developed Type II Diabetes but got that under control with diet and exercise. My lowest weight was 112 for about 5 seconds two years ago

LOL Hey, LittleRed, at least you got there! But it sure is frustrating when the goals are hard to hang onto, isn't it? I feel your pain!
    I decided I really needed to get back on MFP after fooling myself into thinking I didn't need it anymore. I've lost 12 pounds and would be very happy to get down to around 116 (that's my goal!) and avoid having to take any medication for my diabetes, which I haven't had to do YET.

I think this is the big thing--realizing that we NEED something, always, to keep us on track. What are the percentages of people who keep their weight off after weight loss? It's a small number. It's too easy to think we're "cured", that the weight thing is licked and we can go on our merry way. If that were true, almost none of us would be here, trying to take it back off for the umpteenth time. :\

Like you, I'm determined to stay off of diabetes meds, at least as long as humanly possible.
  • Jewels211
    Options
    Jewell211
    Look up nerdfitness.com it offers a body weight routine for beginners. Saying that makes me say- when you see it don't be discouraged.

Start small with one exercise, and try to do it, if you can't manage it, don't worry, try again later or the next day. When you have got the hang of one, add another etc etc.

With regards to any exercise it is better doing a bit rather than sitting and thinking you should. Also, don't take on too much at once, be the tortoise not the hare.

I too loathed exercise, I never grew up doing sport, so I have found it hard to do it now. I do it but still don't love it; maybe like it, only maybe.
    Oookay, I checked it out this morning and attempted to do it! lol Yeah, this girl's got basically no upper body strength, so my pushups, even the girly ones, were mediocre and halfassed at best. And with my knees, I'm going to skip the lunges, at least for awhile. I was proud that I could do a plank for more than 5 seconds! Who knew I had any ab strength at all?! This is definitely something I'll have to be the tortoise on! :D
  • bonniepwest
    bonniepwest Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Cathy120861, that's exactly it! My granddaughter was born 12 years ago and that was my impetus to really get with the program. Also, there were two women in my church in their 70s; one could barely move, and the other--well, I couldn't keep up with her on my best day (still can't; she's 90 now and walks 5 miles a day!) I asked myself which one I wanted to be at that age. I'll never be as active as she is, but I'll never give up trying. Now I have the pre-diabetes diagnosis as an added incentive.
  • bonniepwest
    bonniepwest Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am 62 and struggling with the same 18 pounds that I keep losing and then refinding! My top weight was 185 and I developed Type II Diabetes but got that under control with diet and exercise. My lowest weight was 112 for about 5 seconds two years ago, then I maintained around 118 for a while. (I am just a hair over 5 feet tall). Two years ago I had a hip replacement and then a few months later some major eye surgery, all of which kept me fairly sedentary for a period of time and the weight crept up again.... 133 pounds by the end of last summer... but more significantly, my blood sugar went way, way too high. I decided I really needed to get back on MFP after fooling myself into thinking I didn't need it anymore. I've lost 12 pounds and would be very happy to get down to around 116 (that's my goal!) and avoid having to take any medication for my diabetes, which I haven't had to do YET. I actually go in for blood work tomorrow to see if my hard work over the last few months will keep me off the meds.

Good luck with your blood work! I'm really interested to see if your blood sugar has improved. I'll have mine redone in a month or so, but don't want to rush it.
  • LittleRed2591
    LittleRed2591 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Bonniepwest, I will find out next Monday when I go back in for my followup. I have been very successful in the past with this, but I know my metabolism is slowing. My daily testing has been great so I have fingers crossed that the A1C reflects that! I'll keep you posted...
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Jewels211 wrote: »

Hi Jewels! Like you, I'm all or nothing, too...almost to the point of being obsessive! But that is what it takes for me..different strokes for different folks, huh?

I certainly understand the need for privacy..I had to call on a lot of courage to put a swim suit on for the pool!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to stick to the straight & narrow to stay on track! And I'm sorry I'm so slow is responding to posts here. I usually check out MFP on my iPhone, and that's not very user friendly for me when it comes to commenting on message boards.

As to swimsuits, not wanting to get into one of those and my unease around water are the two things keeping me out of aqua aerobic classes. I know doing them in the water would be so much easier on my joints, but I just can't get myself to go there. I keep hoping when I get a good portion of the weight off, my phobia about being seen by others will wear off.

Jewels.. Walking DVDs might be what you need to get some cardio in. Leslie Sansone has some good ones that are very basic and make a good starting point for exercise. They make them now so that you can play music only without having to listen to her chatter while you workout( her constant talking annoys me). They may have some at your local library to try out. I order from collage video.com where they have a huge selection of workout videos. Another one I like is Kelly Coffey-Mayer's "Fitness Starts Here".
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Jewels211 wrote: »

Hi Jewels! Like you, I'm all or nothing, too...almost to the point of being obsessive! But that is what it takes for me..different strokes for different folks, huh?

I certainly understand the need for privacy..I had to call on a lot of courage to put a swim suit on for the pool!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to stick to the straight & narrow to stay on track! And I'm sorry I'm so slow is responding to posts here. I usually check out MFP on my iPhone, and that's not very user friendly for me when it comes to commenting on message boards.

As to swimsuits, not wanting to get into one of those and my unease around water are the two things keeping me out of aqua aerobic classes. I know doing them in the water would be so much easier on my joints, but I just can't get myself to go there. I keep hoping when I get a good portion of the weight off, my phobia about being seen by others will wear off.

Jewels.. Walking DVDs might be what you need to get some cardio in. Leslie Sansone has some good ones that are very basic and make a good starting point for exercise. They make them now so that you can play music only without having to listen to her chatter while you workout( her constant talking annoys me). They may have some at your local library to try out. I order from collage video.com where they have a huge selection of workout videos. Another one I like is Kelly Coffey-Mayer's "Fitness Starts Here".

I have had great success with free on demand exercise programs and use Kell Coffey - Mayer's programs, too. Try a few of them out and hopefully you'll find something you like.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My bloodbank checks cholesterol levels as part of the donation process and posts them in the secure online log for each individual. It's another benefit of donating blood, IMO.
    55835802.png
  • cathy120861
    cathy120861 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Anybody else do TRX? it is getting to be one of my favorite new forms of exercise. super tough but no impact at all.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    @ Cathy, I incorporate a lot of TRX into my strength training. My trainer is big on it. He taught me two new exercises yesterday that were interesting. I like it because there are so many different things you can do and like you said it's pretty low impact but builds a lot of strength.
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    TRX is incorporated into GISFW strength training. I love it and the low impact factor, too. You feel it later that day and definitely the next day.
  • calmandpeaceful
    calmandpeaceful Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am 54 and have also gained 30 lb in the last 5 years - due to menopause and also coping with stressful situations by late night eating. Our family went through some very difficult times....but they are behind us now and I am ready to lose the weight! I have the flu right now - and it's helping me get started on losing the weight! (Always a plus...) Thanks for sharing. I really want to take the weight off, and hearing about your journeys is very helpful.
  • Jewels211
    Options
    Calmandpeaceful, I hate it that you're having to deal with the nasty flu, but at least you're able to see the silver lining! :D I love it that there are a lot of success stories here in this thread to prove that it IS possible for us to get the weight off, even as we get older, even while dealing with menopauses's extra challenges.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!