The January Gym Crowd

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Well. So DYELB brings up an EXCELLENT point.

If you look at this as a hobby type thing- 150 a month is not expensive. Regular lessons hockey/karate/dance/music would run you 200+ a month. I know at my studio- unlimited runs around 290- which includes rehearsal fees

if you stop looking at it like a gym- and you look at it like regular dance classes- or regular hockey lessons- it becomes on point.

If you look at it as a gym- then oh hell no.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's all relative...my gym membership is relatively cheap at $35 for a 24/7 facility...but my coach whom I meet with for 60 minutes once per week runs me about $200 per month. In that light, CF is relatively cheap as you are getting unlimited access to the facility and coaching (albeit not as personal as having an individual coach).

As to the original question, there's been a slight uptick at my gym, but it's a local joint...most of the New Years folks are hitting the big box gyms around town.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I still don't understand how someone can argue comparability of these two different gym business models when the users/members ratio are so different...and then argue that one pricing structure is somehow incoherent because compared to globogym...

...and then somehow this equates to a potential business opportunity...

...but I've already said this a couple of times in this very thread and feel like I'm engaged in postmortem pummeling of equus ferus caballus.

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    DYELB wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I don't even know what we are trying to sort out any more.

PS- that movie's awesome.

Snark his way out of a contradiction?

The contradiction that $150 is expensive for xfit membership?

I work in NYC and live upstate, so the numbers are definitely higher than average if you live in say Ohio, but it's not that far gone for say Boston or Cali.
    I pay $135 a month for unlimite karate lessons.
    I pay $72 a month for my gym near work, that's discounted down from the standard rate of I think $120 a month because of corporate whatever.
    I pay $60 a month for my gym near home.
    I have a strength coach that I go to to prep for powerlifting meets, he's about $2k for 30 sessions. A pack of sessions can last me about a year.
    I play rugby as well, and dues for that are $400 per year.

That's $5604 annually or about $108 a week

That's a lot, and I know I spend more than most on this kind of thing because of my interests and my means, but that weekly cost is less than what I'd spend in a night going out to the bars.

If you can't afford crossfit that's obviously fine, but this rant about the obnoxiously greedy stupid expensive and evil xfit is pretty asinine. Just let it be, people are paying that much, and they enjoy it. To them it's worth it, just like to me the stuff I do is worth $108 a week.

I live in Seattle. So cost of living is pretty high. $150/month for crossfit is expensive IMHO.

Why?
    1) The setup is pretty basic
    2) What it takes to be xfit certified isn't that intensive.
    3) You have to go at X time because classes are scheduled such.
    4) Unless you want to do the same thing again, I believe xfit is only geared around a 3-4 per week schedule.

It might be okay if I could do other stuff there when I don't want to their classes but I have no idea of the bars/equipment are available if there is a class at the same time.

I already pay $100/month for a gym, so paying another $150 isn't logical to me. It would be better for me to set up the WOD at my current gym and find a way to do that vs joining another gym to do it.

So you pay $100 a month to go to a gym and $150 is somehow a really big deal?

This is like ranting about name brand clothes or apple products. People pay it and like the stuff, who cares?

No. I'm paying $100 to go to a gym. Paying ANOTHER $150 for limited additional benefit = expensive.

What you are saying is like paying for a Honda civic and complaining about not wanting to pay for another Honda civic. I could actually afford another Honda Civic but it would be a complete waste of money to pay twice for the essentially the same thing.

That is why I said "it might be okay if I could go and do other stuff when I'm not doing WOD" Why? Because then I could justify quitting one gym and paying for the xfit gym. But I doubt it because my Y has bball courts, swim center, cardio machines etc... things that the typical xfit does not have.

Where are people telling people to pay ANOTHER $150? Why do you think every person in the world is paying for two memberships? And if they are, why is that a problem? I've paid for 3+ memberships for years
  • DavPul
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    What part of the article spoke of price gouging members?

Quote me where I said price gouging.

What are you saying? That you can't afford it so obviously no one can?
  • DavPul
    edited January 2015
    Options

If you look at this as a hobby type thing- 150 a month is not expensive. Regular lessons hockey/karate/dance/music would run you 200+ a month. I know at my studio- unlimited runs around 290- which includes rehearsal fees

if you stop looking at it like a gym- and you look at it like regular dance classes- or regular hockey lessons- it becomes on point.

That's the entire point of what we've been saying. It doesn't even resemble a regular gym membership. A completely different experience
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It's all relative...my gym membership is relatively cheap at $35 for a 24/7 facility...but my coach whom I meet with for 60 minutes once per week runs me about $200 per month. In that light, CF is relatively cheap as you are getting unlimited access to the facility and coaching (albeit not as personal as having an individual coach).

As to the original question, there's been a slight uptick at my gym, but it's a local joint...most of the New Years folks are hitting the big box gyms around town.

Actually, that's a great plan. Opt for a cheap gym and spend the rest on a xfit place. But I'm at the y because of the family plan and my daughter goes to Y programs like after school care. So ditching the Y really isn't a good alternative. But if I could, I'd totally do that.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    Remember that the people you are complaining about help subsidize your gym membership (by paying but not showing up as often or for as long as you). Be happy!
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    The 'noobies' have already given up at my pool. A few new faces the first Monday in January, but overall it's not been awful. Last year was much worse! The worst month for new people where I swim is September. Lots of parents decide they're going to get back to exercise while their kids are in school.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I don't even know what we are trying to sort out any more.

PS- that movie's awesome.

Snark his way out of a contradiction?

The contradiction that $150 is expensive for xfit membership?

I work in NYC and live upstate, so the numbers are definitely higher than average if you live in say Ohio, but it's not that far gone for say Boston or Cali.
    I pay $135 a month for unlimite karate lessons.
    I pay $72 a month for my gym near work, that's discounted down from the standard rate of I think $120 a month because of corporate whatever.
    I pay $60 a month for my gym near home.
    I have a strength coach that I go to to prep for powerlifting meets, he's about $2k for 30 sessions. A pack of sessions can last me about a year.
    I play rugby as well, and dues for that are $400 per year.

That's $5604 annually or about $108 a week

That's a lot, and I know I spend more than most on this kind of thing because of my interests and my means, but that weekly cost is less than what I'd spend in a night going out to the bars.

If you can't afford crossfit that's obviously fine, but this rant about the obnoxiously greedy stupid expensive and evil xfit is pretty asinine. Just let it be, people are paying that much, and they enjoy it. To them it's worth it, just like to me the stuff I do is worth $108 a week.

I live in Seattle. So cost of living is pretty high. $150/month for crossfit is expensive IMHO.

Why?
    1) The setup is pretty basic
    2) What it takes to be xfit certified isn't that intensive.
    3) You have to go at X time because classes are scheduled such.
    4) Unless you want to do the same thing again, I believe xfit is only geared around a 3-4 per week schedule.

It might be okay if I could do other stuff there when I don't want to their classes but I have no idea of the bars/equipment are available if there is a class at the same time.

I already pay $100/month for a gym, so paying another $150 isn't logical to me. It would be better for me to set up the WOD at my current gym and find a way to do that vs joining another gym to do it.

So you pay $100 a month to go to a gym and $150 is somehow a really big deal?

This is like ranting about name brand clothes or apple products. People pay it and like the stuff, who cares?

No. I'm paying $100 to go to a gym. Paying ANOTHER $150 for limited additional benefit = expensive.

What you are saying is like paying for a Honda civic and complaining about not wanting to pay for another Honda civic. I could actually afford another Honda Civic but it would be a complete waste of money to pay twice for the essentially the same thing.

That is why I said "it might be okay if I could go and do other stuff when I'm not doing WOD" Why? Because then I could justify quitting one gym and paying for the xfit gym. But I doubt it because my Y has bball courts, swim center, cardio machines etc... things that the typical xfit does not have.

Where are people telling people to pay ANOTHER $150? Why do you think every person in the world is paying for two memberships? And if they are, why is that a problem? I've paid for 3+ memberships for years

Dyeb is stating that. Did you read his post? Or mine? You could not have but it appears that you just did that. What's the problem? I don't want two Honda civics
  • JoRocka
    Options

That's the entire point of what we've been saying. It doesn't even resemble a regular gym membership. A completely different experience

I am now on board with the understanding of the conversation train.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I am that extra traffic...but little do you know that I've been lifting heavy for over 3 years! I gave up my gym membership to try new things, and it turns out that I actually hate exercising, but I didn't admit it to myself until January. So yes, today I go back to deadlifting and squatting at the gym, but don't treat me like I don't belong there. EVERYONE BELONGS THERE! I'm proud of myself when I teach someone how to turn on the elliptical (just move your legs my dear), and I love when I see someone my size re-racking weights after they smashed their personal best overhead presses. I feel like I'm starting at the bottom, and I don't need your fuzzy eyeballs staring at me while I try and re-gain what I've lost.
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options

still behind over here :(
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Here's a question: how do you know that the new people even quit? They could have simply changed the time that they workout. My husband and I would go to the gym in the morning and for a long time we weren't making it so we were going later in the afternoon, sometimes borderline evening. So sure the regular morning crew might have thought we quit but we didn't. And now the afternoon crew probably thinks we quit because we're back to mornings.

I get it. New people are annoying because they don't know what they're doing. Just remember though you were one of those "new people" once who didn't know squat. And heck, I'll go so far as to say that many of you were probably one of those "resolutioners".
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options

Actually, that's a great plan. Opt for a cheap gym and spend the rest on a xfit place. But I'm at the y because of the family plan and my daughter goes to Y programs like after school care. So ditching the Y really isn't a good alternative. But if I could, I'd totally do that.

So...the cost of xfit isn't that big a deal for folks that don't have your particular needs? Which is basically what a lot of folks have already been saying?

I fail to see a point in anything you've written on this thread other than a vague unsubstantiated claim that the startup cost doesn't justify the membership cost.

• JoRocka
    Options

If you stop looking at crossfit boxes as gyms and more like a hobby with a technical education it makes SIGNFICANTLY more sense.

look up any other hobby- skating- skiing- karate- dance- etc etc- it all costs that much- in the grand scheme of things 150 for unlimited technical classes is nothing- that's what we charge for 8 classes/month- which is 2 hours a week. So- in that context- it makes perfect sense.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me at all. We were all beginners at one time or another at the gym!
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

If you stop looking at crossfit boxes as gyms and more like a hobby with a technical education it makes SIGNFICANTLY more sense.

look up any other hobby- skating- skiing- karate- dance- etc etc- it all costs that much- in the grand scheme of things 150 for unlimited technical classes is nothing- that's what we charge for 8 classes/month- which is 2 hours a week. So- in that context- it makes perfect sense.

Lol. I wasn't looking at crossfit boxes as anything. I wasn't even sure how the topic got derailed to talking about crossfit and I wasn't even a part of that discussion. I was just wondering what the heck was going on in here lol
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Mine has been on going so not a real resolution. I got a gym membership for Christmas so I'm a newbie at the gym. I have been going since I first went. This isn't just a phrase or whatever makes people stop going. The gym I go to hasn't been that crowded unless regulars haven't been going since the new people
  • JeffseekingV
    edited January 2015
    Options

So...the cost of xfit isn't that big a deal for folks that don't have your particular needs? Which is basically what a lot of folks have already been saying?

I fail to see a point in anything you've written on this thread other than a vague unsubstantiated claim that the startup cost doesn't justify the membership cost.

No. This is why I use the term IMHO. To ME, joining xfit to lift weights for $150-$175 per month isn't worth the additional money when I ALREADY lift weights at my normal gym @ $100 per month.

Lifting is sort of a hobby. BUT you don't have TWO Karate classes do you? TWO Rugby association fees right? I didn't think so. To ME, xfit is just another place to lift weights. I already have a place to do that. I'd consider REPLACING one for the other but not both. Nothing wrong with paying for DIFFERENT hobbies. I don't really see the point to necessarily pay for two times for essentially the same hobby. IMHO.

ie.. doing the same lifts in a group setting isn't enough of a difference to me vs doing the same type of lifts myself.