Couch to 10K in 15 weeks?

Options

Replies

• getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to butt in and say i really hope you all enjoy the challenge!
    I did a similar programme to C25K and finished it a couple of weeks ago!
    I honestly never thought i'd be able to run for any extended amount of time but these plans really work!
    Yesterday (after having a week off) i ran a 15/1 run walk routine three times and i felt fab! I could have done longer i felt like the energiser bunny lol but i had to stop for college.
    I'm planning on doing Race for life 10k in july so need to get on and do the next programme really!

Good luck and keep it up! sometimes you just can't be bothered! Just try and you'll really enjoy the results!

Thanks for your post kell_riley... best of luck with the bridge to 10K (we will be on that the week of July 11) and your Race for Life 10K :flowerforyou:
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    So how is everyone doing with the C25K? I hope that you have gotten two days in or will with today. I know that I found it easier to run the intervals for the third workout than the first. I know that you all have made great progress!!

I thought this seemed right to inspire our group:
    Series of miracles
    Today is nothing less than a miracle. Your life is even more of a miracle.

Feeling the warm sun on your face seems like such a simple thing. And yet that simple little experience is made possible by unimaginably complex and profound factors, all coming together in a single moment.

And then, when one amazing moment is finished, another has just begun. Even the most seemingly ordinary life is a series of magnificent miracles, each one following quickly after the one before.

It is all too easy to take it all for granted. And just the fact that you can take it for granted is itself an amazing thing.

You can never fully appreciate all that goes into the wonder in which you’re immersed. And because of that, there is no limit to how much you can treasure it all.

Even when you are continually thankful, there is always more for which to be thankful. Even when you know you have it good, you don’t ever fully know how good you have it.

Celebrate the miracles that come in every moment within the overall miracle that is your life. And as each moment falls away, there is another one for you to celebrate.

— Ralph Marston

Read more: http://greatday.com/nmot/index.html#ixzz1LUOY6ykq
  • lailenm
    lailenm Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

I did day two yesterday and I found it soooooo much easier to run the intervals as well. Well, I was at more of a jog, but whatever. I'll pick up the pack after I'm accustomed to jogging. I was so proud of myself yesterday, and I had been in such a non-exercise kind of mood. Doing that workout picked me up and made me feel so much better. All I need to do now is get more veggies from the store and hit the gym today for some weight training, and I'm back in the saddle (not that I ever left the saddle - merely that my food was falling off track without a chance to get to the store). :]

Hope everyone else is doing well.
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

I did day two yesterday and I found it soooooo much easier to run the intervals as well. Well, I was at more of a jog, but whatever. I'll pick up the pack after I'm accustomed to jogging. I was so proud of myself yesterday, and I had been in such a non-exercise kind of mood. Doing that workout picked me up and made me feel so much better. All I need to do now is get more veggies from the store and hit the gym today for some weight training, and I'm back in the saddle (not that I ever left the saddle - merely that my food was falling off track without a chance to get to the store). :]

Great job!!! My hubby and I are going to the gym today to start circuit training for the first time! Eek!
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    So how is everyone doing with the C25K? I hope that you have gotten two days in or will with today. I know that I found it easier to run the intervals for the third workout than the first. I know that you all have made great progress!!

I thought this seemed right to inspire our group:
    Series of miracles
    Today is nothing less than a miracle. Your life is even more of a miracle.

Feeling the warm sun on your face seems like such a simple thing. And yet that simple little experience is made possible by unimaginably complex and profound factors, all coming together in a single moment.

And then, when one amazing moment is finished, another has just begun. Even the most seemingly ordinary life is a series of magnificent miracles, each one following quickly after the one before.

It is all too easy to take it all for granted. And just the fact that you can take it for granted is itself an amazing thing.

You can never fully appreciate all that goes into the wonder in which you’re immersed. And because of that, there is no limit to how much you can treasure it all.

Even when you are continually thankful, there is always more for which to be thankful. Even when you know you have it good, you don’t ever fully know how good you have it.

Celebrate the miracles that come in every moment within the overall miracle that is your life. And as each moment falls away, there is another one for you to celebrate.

— Ralph Marston

Read more: http://greatday.com/nmot/index.html#ixzz1LUOY6ykq

I love that!
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Good morning!

You run whatever pace you can.... :wink:

I started my "journey to run" in October of 2009 and I was thinking running was sooo hard (I couldn't even go a quarter of a mile without stopping). I was at a 3.5 (17:08 min mile) to start. Once I was able to go a mile (that took forever), I went up to a 4.0 (15 min mile) on the treadmill and didn't know if I would ever last to complete 1 mile without stopping. After some bumps in the road I am proud to say that I can run 4 miles at a 4.5 (13:20 min mile) on the treadmill without stopping!! Now I am going for a 5.0 which is a 12 minute mile with the C25K!?!?!

It doesn't happen overnight, but it happens :bigsmile: :laugh:
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    You are very welcome rissadiane... I thought we could all use some encouragement! :heart:
  • lailenm
    Options
    You run whatever pace you can.... :wink:

I started my "journey to run" in October of 2009 and I was thinking running was sooo hard (I couldn't even go a quarter of a mile without stopping). I was at a 3.5 (17:08 min mile) to start. Once I was able to go a mile (that took forever), I went up to a 4.0 (15 min mile) on the treadmill and didn't know if I would ever last to complete 1 mile without stopping. After some bumps in the road I am proud to say that I can run 4 miles at a 4.5 (13:20 min mile) on the treadmill without stopping!! Now I am going for a 5.0 which is a 12 minute mile with the C25K!?!?!

It doesn't happen overnight, but it happens :bigsmile: :laugh:

Well, I know. I'm at a delicate jog, or what taller people would call a brisk walk. I just have a lot of weight on me, so I don't want to kill myself yet. I already enjoy running, and I want to be addicted to it. I want to, when I get to my goal, do it everyday as part of my weight management routine. I can't wait until that day comes, you know? I know right now the most important thing for me to do is to just keep going. I'll get there when I'm meant to get there. I'm just real anxious to get there and then re-evaluate my life. Sit and ponder why I never did this before. :D
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Well, I know. I'm at a delicate jog, or what taller people would call a brisk walk. I just have a lot of weight on me, so I don't want to kill myself yet. I already enjoy running, and I want to be addicted to it. I want to, when I get to my goal, do it everyday as part of my weight management routine. I can't wait until that day comes, you know? I know right now the most important thing for me to do is to just keep going. I'll get there when I'm meant to get there. I'm just real anxious to get there and then re-evaluate my life. Sit and ponder why I never did this before. :D

Trust me... I know what you are talking about. You are spot on with the "most important thing for me to do is to just keep going"!! That will help you get where you are meant to be when you are meant to be there, plus affirm your :heart: for running!
  • lailenm
    Options
    Trust me... I know what you are talking about. You are spot on with the "most important thing for me to do is to just keep going"!! That will help you get where you are meant to be when you are meant to be there, plus affirm your :heart: for running!

Thanks. I really appreciate all the support and advice. I finished Week 1 today, and I'm feeling really good. The balls of my feet are a little sore (which is what's preventing me from eating lunch at the moment) since I did Day 3 and mowed my entire lawn back to back without a break, but it kept me sweating, and I loved it (even if I complained while I was doing it =D).

Bring on Week 2.
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Thanks. I really appreciate all the support and advice. I finished Week 1 today, and I'm feeling really good. The balls of my feet are a little sore (which is what's preventing me from eating lunch at the moment) since I did Day 3 and mowed my entire lawn back to back without a break, but it kept me sweating, and I loved it (even if I complained while I was doing it =D).

Bring on Week 2.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bigsmile:
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Alright.... I am sure that everyone did AWESOME last week and is ready to go for week 2

Week 2
    5 minute brisk walk to warm up
    90 second jog
    120 second walk
    repeat this for a total of 20 minutes
    5 minute brisk walk to cool down.

Do this three times this week and remember...
    Walk at your speed and jog at your speed which means if your jog is at 3.0 on the treadmill that is great!! Do what you can and don't think you have to start at a run if you aren't ready Just doing the workout is sucess

Drink plenty of water during the day of your run and drink while you "recover" walking during the workout. Additionally drink water after your workout will help.

Stretching your legs after the run is key to staying loose, you don't want to be too sore
    Use the wall and point your toes up then lean into the wall to stretch the calf. You can also use a stair and keep your toes on the step and lean your heel off the step. Do butterflies, static (nonmoving) lunges, and reach for your toes eighter standing or sitting (or both) to stretch your hamstrings and quads.

This week try to add in a day of cardio crosstraining. This should be about 30 mins and something other than running.
  • jamielangner
    jamielangner Posts: 165
    Options
    I'm just finishing up week 2 of this program & I'm loving it so far, glad to find you guys! I'm registered for a 5K on July 9th, do you have your runs scheduled already?
  • Spicer1
    Spicer1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I found this thread a little late but I'd like to join too. I just finished the first workout of week 1 today so I'll be a little behind you guys. I've always wanted to be a runner and I'm very glad I found out about the C25K program. Good luck to everyone :happy:
  • FitMomma0722
    FitMomma0722 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Wow...I was JUST thinking about starting this. Do you mind if I jump in? I know i won't be able to get all 3 workouts in this week but i've been working out everyday this week, so i won't feel bad.

I will start week 2 with you all next week.

I'm excited about doing this with others.
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    I'm just finishing up week 2 of this program & I'm loving it so far, glad to find you guys! I'm registered for a 5K on July 9th, do you have your runs scheduled already?

I don't have my race registered but I do have two 5K options in July and a 10K option in August. I have to wait for some money before I can register :wink:
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Hello everyone! I found this thread a little late but I'd like to join too. I just finished the first workout of week 1 today so I'll be a little behind you guys. I've always wanted to be a runner and I'm very glad I found out about the C25K program. Good luck to everyone :happy:

Welcome to the group!!! I am sure you will find all of us supportive even if we are a little different in our schedules. Some may find that they repeat a week here or there... the goal is to keep going! :bigsmile:
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Wow...I was JUST thinking about starting this. Do you mind if I jump in? I know i won't be able to get all 3 workouts in this week but i've been working out everyday this week, so i won't feel bad.

I will start week 2 with you all next week.

I'm excited about doing this with others.

You are welcome to join... I would suggest that you try to get at least two of the runs in unless you are already doing some running. It might just make the longer run easier for you :laugh:
  • SouthernAngel
    Options
    Hey all! Checking in, just finished Week 1. You are right.......I am READY for week 2!!

This week was smooth. I am motivated, encouraged, and ready to roll! Can't wait to hear our results in 12 weeks!
  • lailenm
    Options

Since I'm quite a bit heavier, I'm waiting until September/October to do my first 5K. Well, that, and because I want to get my family involved. My family's all overweight and all the females have been complaining like MAD about it, so I want them to get off their *kitten* and do something about it. But that's beside the point. The main part of waiting until then is because I want to be a bit lighter by then and hopefully be able to pick up my pace some. And I need the money to do it. But I'm so excited for when that time comes.