Sugarrrrrrr

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    YES, sugar is BAD for us.

And for those of you that do not know - ALL CARBOHYDRATES are converted into GLUCOSE by the body.

Regarding the composition of fruit - I am not a chemist and I too have read the web link that with regard to herrspoons comments "There are three dietery monosaccharides - glucose, fructose and galactose. Lactose, like maltose and sucrose, is a disaccharide."

What I was trying to put across is that eating a whole fruit, although it contains "sugar" has healthy benefits because of the vitamins, antioxidants and fibre that it contains. And drinking fruit juice is not the same as having a whole fruit.

With regard to the sugar content in the yogurts - I was advised by my dietician to go for the ones that contain 3% of sugar or less. Now 3% of any amount is 3% for those of you that do not know your maths. And of course, if you are counting your calorie intake the more you eat the more calories you will have eaten, but the percentage of sugar will still
    be 3% of the total that you ate (the carbohydrate of which are sugars will be different).

There was an advert on UK TV last night, with regard to people cutting down on their intake of sugar! A programme a couple of nights ago on UK TV about the Tudors, showed how their health deteriorated because of eating - SUGAR! The sugar caused dreadful tooth decay and because of that, bacteria entered into the blood stream. Their dentistry was not as advanced as ours and they did not have pain killing relief nor any antibiotics. Any rotten teeth were pulled out with no sedation. Most of them had died because of blood poisoning due to getting the rotten teeth (and infections) which was an entry for bacteria from eating too much SUGAR!

Our modern diet consists of too much sugar and sugar in all sorts of products (hidden sugars).

There was also a programme not long ago on UK TV that talked about that sugar is far worse than fat.
    Many years ago we were told that butter was no good for us, now we are told that it is better to eat butter than some of the margarines. We were told that fat was bad for us and now we are told there are good fats and bad fats. The good fats are those in fish, nuts, avocado pears and coconuts.

Eating everything in moderation is the key, but with people who have a glucose intolerance or have diabetes, it is even more important to control sugar intake whether this is from simple or complex carbs.

Eating a snickers bar everyday is fine as long as you are eating other healthy foods and are not glucose intolerant or a diabetic.

Please do not post as an authority when it is clear that you are not.

Look in the mirror. You and some of the other Sugar Bots on here are living paid mouthpieces for the industry. She hit it right on the nose.

Oh btw - losing weight again and eating at greater volumes than if I ate a diet full of sugar with less caloric intake.

Never met anyone with large amounts of visceral fat who ate a steady diet of veggies, fruit, and good protein. I see people daily who eat processed food loaded with sugar with an abundance of fat on them. Empirically, it's very obvious.

Physical is coming for you naysayers - early February - scheduled.

PBF and in-body test this Saturday.

Check out my diary - living proof that refraining from processed sugar-based foods works and allows me to eat at greater volumes - caloric intake included.

Ah yes claims others are shills, a sure sign of ignorance on the subject

Well since you never have personally met someone who was fat who ate veggies fruits and "good" proteins, then it must be true.

Those berries and bananas are processed sugar based foods, oops
  • Acg67
    Options
    sstolii123 wrote: »
    Sugar sure seems to be a touchy subject! I was surprised to see no one brought up The American Heart Association and their Article on "Sugar and Cardiovascular Disease". http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/106/4/523.full

Before you pile up on me I subscribe to the "Sugar in Moderation" eating plan and not the "Complete Exclusion" plan. Both sides of the argument might find some interesting information in the article.

LOL

"As with most other dietary constituents, long-term trial data relating sugar consumption to the development of CVD events are unavailable. Longitudinal cohort studies relating sugar consumption to CVD are equivocal because of the many potential confounders that cannot be adequately controlled in the analyses. "
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

And for those of you that do not know - ALL CARBOHYDRATES are converted into GLUCOSE by the body.

Regarding the composition of fruit - I am not a chemist and I too have read the web link that with regard to herrspoons comments "There are three dietery monosaccharides - glucose, fructose and galactose. Lactose, like maltose and sucrose, is a disaccharide."

What I was trying to put across is that eating a whole fruit, although it contains "sugar" has healthy benefits because of the vitamins, antioxidants and fibre that it contains. And drinking fruit juice is not the same as having a whole fruit.

With regard to the sugar content in the yogurts - I was advised by my dietician to go for the ones that contain 3% of sugar or less. Now 3% of any amount is 3% for those of you that do not know your maths. And of course, if you are counting your calorie intake the more you eat the more calories you will have eaten, but the percentage of sugar will still
    be 3% of the total that you ate (the carbohydrate of which are sugars will be different).

There was an advert on UK TV last night, with regard to people cutting down on their intake of sugar! A programme a couple of nights ago on UK TV about the Tudors, showed how their health deteriorated because of eating - SUGAR! The sugar caused dreadful tooth decay and because of that, bacteria entered into the blood stream. Their dentistry was not as advanced as ours and they did not have pain killing relief nor any antibiotics. Any rotten teeth were pulled out with no sedation. Most of them had died because of blood poisoning due to getting the rotten teeth (and infections) which was an entry for bacteria from eating too much SUGAR!

Our modern diet consists of too much sugar and sugar in all sorts of products (hidden sugars).

There was also a programme not long ago on UK TV that talked about that sugar is far worse than fat.
    Many years ago we were told that butter was no good for us, now we are told that it is better to eat butter than some of the margarines. We were told that fat was bad for us and now we are told there are good fats and bad fats. The good fats are those in fish, nuts, avocado pears and coconuts.

Eating everything in moderation is the key, but with people who have a glucose intolerance or have diabetes, it is even more important to control sugar intake whether this is from simple or complex carbs.

Eating a snickers bar everyday is fine as long as you are eating other healthy foods and are not glucose intolerant or a diabetic.

Look in the mirror. You and some of the other Sugar Bots on here are living paid mouthpieces for the industry. She hit it right on the nose.

Oh btw - losing weight again and eating at greater volumes than if I ate a diet full of sugar with less caloric intake.

Never met anyone with large amounts of visceral fat who ate a steady diet of veggies, fruit, and good protein. I see people daily who eat processed food loaded with sugar with an abundance of fat on them. Empirically, it's very obvious.

Check out my diary - living proof that refraining from processed sugar-based foods works and allows me to eat at greater volumes - caloric intake included.

Checked out your diary (despite not being a Sugar Bot - whatever that is!).
    Scoops and cups do not suggest an accurate diary let alone one on which to base outlandish claims.
    Quite a lot of sugar in there too although you don't track it.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Checked out your diary (despite not being a Sugar Bot - whatever that is!).
    Scoops and cups do not suggest an accurate diary let alone one on which to base outlandish claims.
    Quite a lot of sugar in there too although you don't track it.
    BOOM! BOOYAH!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    and here we go again ..another sugar is the devil debate..

OP - unless you have a medical condition that makes you sensitive to sugar there is no reason to avoid it or view it as "bad"...

Isn't that what we all came for? Because the OP certainly didn't call it the devil.

No, she just seemed defensive or guilty about the fact that she eats yogurt.

Which, again, suggests that this anti sugar stuff is way out of hand.

Asking for opinions on what others think is best for weight loss = defensive and guilty?? Wow!
  • katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Love sugar!!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    and here we go again ..another sugar is the devil debate..

OP - unless you have a medical condition that makes you sensitive to sugar there is no reason to avoid it or view it as "bad"...

Isn't that what we all came for? Because the OP certainly didn't call it the devil.

so sugar is bad = angelic?

I would call it benign within the context of the OP's questions.

this is a snippet from her OP ..

"Now, I understand sugar is BAD however…"

she's aid sugar is bad and capitalized it…so how is that benign????

or do you just nit pick to nit pick?

It seems to me that others are nit picking for the sake of nit picking. The post was about which option of yogurt we thought was better to facilitate weight loss.

Yet the usual "don't deomonize sugar" crowd chooses to nit pick that one remark, which really had little to do with her question, just so they could preach their usual sermon.
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    the only thing that gets MFP more fired up than a cauliflower substitution recipe is a thread about sugar. I'm grateful, as it gives me something entertaining to read on my lunch break. I'm chewing a massive turkey sandwich on wholemeal with rocket and-gasp- brie and cranberry sauce! I'm also contemplating how terrible that fat and sugar is for tasting delicious, helping me hit my macro goals for today and fuelling my run in a few hours... oh wait...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,895 Member
    Options

I bet your consuming less overall, but the blame game works too. It also looks like you believe some protein sources are suspect. I wonder which other food sources you believe are the cause of your weight loss journey now, because it certainly isn't your fault you ate too much, right.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    hmcbride68 wrote: »

As far as the legitimacy of a PhD goes, history is FULL of unbelievably dumb things eventually proven wrong that came out of the bloated ego-stroked minds of "doctors". There are PhD's who believe in fascism, PhD's who believe in UFO aliens, PhD's who believe in ghosts, PhD's who search for bigfoot, PhD's who believe the universe is a couple thousand years old, PhD's who believe in astrology, PhD's who believe world peace is an achievable goal, PhD's who believe certain racial subsets of humans are superior to others, PhD's and MD's who believe children with birth defects should not be allowed to live, There are MD's who believe that cancer can be treated by nothing more than talking to the tumor and playing it soothing music, and on and on and on... College professors are some of the nuttiest people I've ever met, and many of them rely on people who consider themselves lesser thinkers to parrot whatever silly idea they present as "fact" simply because they envy the letters after their name

And this is why the old nickname for a PhD came about: fuddy duddy (aka Phuddy Duddy)

• Acg67
    Options
    Well my dear friends, this evening I have been listening to Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, UCSF Mini Medical School, on the top of "Sugar : The Bitter Truth".

You can listen to his lecture and also listen to "Sugar is Killing Us" by going to http://thetruthaboutsugar.com

And yep, I must admit that fructose that is in fruit is just as bad when consumed without the pulp and without the fibre! But I did say in my post that it is better to eat the whole fruit with the peel rather than drink a fruit juice.

Unfortunately, most of our foods contain "hidden sugars" that are BAD for us.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2015/01/22/378920980/for-more-nutrients-drink-oj-or-eat-an-orange-it-s-not-so-clear-cut
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

I love the fact that nearly 100 grams of your protein intake daily comes from processed protein powders...
  • hmcbride68
    hmcbride68 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Oh, btw, I wanted to make clear that my previous post was not aimed at the OP. She came here in good faith, seeking advice and knowledge. It was aimed at the ones who are clearly demonizing food. You know who you are and you should be ashamed of yourselves
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Two can play this game...
    Check out my diary - living proof that NOT refraining from processed sugar-based foods works and allows me to eat at greater volumes - caloric intake included.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options

If sugar is BAD for us, why even bother eating ANY OF IT at all?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • earlnabby
    edited January 2015
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Two can play this game...
    Check out my diary - living proof that NOT refraining from processed sugar-based foods works and allows me to eat at greater volumes - caloric intake included.

can I play too? Check out my diary. Proof that NOT refraining from processed foods (and you will also see things like cheesecake, wine, and hard cider in there) can not only lead to better health but also leads to this ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

58841349.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    I didn't make the programme about the Tudors. I didn't make the advert that appeared last night on UK TV about sugar.
    I didn't make up the information I passed on that was given to me by my dietician, nor the facts about fat soluble vitamins.

Didn't realise the forums were so "anti".

I have loved sugar and I love all food and cakes. A few years ago I became glucose intolerant (at the age of 55). Peripheral nerve damage had already been done. These are facts. I now am more strict with the amount of simple carbs that I consume.

My husband refers to sugar as "Poison" and I now believe that too!
    Most people who became glucose intolerant usually became well overweight from over consumption thus causing it. It's not sugar's fault, nor the cause. Also, genetics can directly have something to do with it.
    There's a difference between correlation and cause and sugar didn't cause your issues. Because if it did, then EVERYONE would have them.
    Anecdotally, my mom and dad are in their late 80's. Neither have any of the issues you describe and they STILL eat sugar EVERYDAY.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    The body burns sugar and fat for energy. Fat is a better source because it lasts longer. If you look at the labels on yogurt the low fat probably has more sugar than the full fat. Both are needed for your body, but let me tell you sugar is added to EVERYTHING so it' really easy to over do it.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I didn't make the programme about the Tudors. I didn't make the advert that appeared last night on UK TV about sugar.
    I didn't make up the information I passed on that was given to me by my dietician, nor the facts about fat soluble vitamins.

Didn't realise the forums were so "anti".

I have loved sugar and I love all food and cakes. A few years ago I became glucose intolerant (at the age of 55). Peripheral nerve damage had already been done. These are facts. I now am more strict with the amount of simple carbs that I consume.

My husband refers to sugar as "Poison" and I now believe that too!
    Most people who became glucose intolerant usually became well overweight from over consumption thus causing it. It's not sugar's fault, nor the cause. Also, genetics can directly have something to do with it.
    There's a difference between correlation and cause and sugar didn't cause your issues. Because if it did, then EVERYONE would have them.
    Anecdotally, my mom and dad are in their late 80's. Neither have any of the issues you describe and they STILL eat sugar EVERYDAY.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

My Mom is 94 and has always had a sweet tooth. She is indulging it more now than she ever did and is actually feeling better than she did a couple of years ago. She also still lives alone in her house and is extremely independent with a totally sharp mind.

This discussion has been closed.