Sugarrrrrrr

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Well my dear friends, this evening I have been listening to Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, UCSF Mini Medical School, on the top of "Sugar : The Bitter Truth".

You can listen to his lecture and also listen to "Sugar is Killing Us" by going to http://thetruthaboutsugar.com

And yep, I must admit that fructose that is in fruit is just as bad when consumed without the pulp and without the fibre! But I did say in my post that it is better to eat the whole fruit with the peel rather than drink a fruit juice.

Unfortunately, most of our foods contain "hidden sugars" that are BAD for us.

please just leave this thread with the LOLustig and pseduoscience garbage

Why should I? I am a member and have the right to post a comment, and especially as some people have "slagged" me off and wanted the evidence!

If you don't like truthful comments, perhaps you are the one that should leave.

*sigh*

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

Just wanted to quote this to emphasize the date for some of the newer people who just decided sugar was bad. January, 2010. This stuff isn't new people.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    kaotik26 wrote: »
    The body burns sugar and fat for energy. Fat is a better source because it lasts longer. If you look at the labels on yogurt the low fat probably has more sugar than the full fat. Both are needed for your body, but let me tell you sugar is added to EVERYTHING so it' really easy to over do it.

Yes it does, but it also has more protein than the full fat. This is not because of sugar and protein being added, it is because the nonfat yogurt has some of the water removed for taste and texture so the nutrients are more concentrated.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    and here we go again ..another sugar is the devil debate..

OP - unless you have a medical condition that makes you sensitive to sugar there is no reason to avoid it or view it as "bad"...

Isn't that what we all came for? Because the OP certainly didn't call it the devil.

so sugar is bad = angelic?

I would call it benign within the context of the OP's questions.

this is a snippet from her OP ..

"Now, I understand sugar is BAD however…"

she's aid sugar is bad and capitalized it…so how is that benign????

or do you just nit pick to nit pick?

It seems to me that others are nit picking for the sake of nit picking. The post was about which option of yogurt we thought was better to facilitate weight loss.

Yet the usual "don't deomonize sugar" crowd chooses to nit pick that one remark, which really had little to do with her question, just so they could preach their usual sermon.

then why not ask what yogurt is better?

why start with I know sugar is bad...< which is not the case unless OP has a medical condition ...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Check out my diary - living proof that refraining from processed sugar-based foods works and allows me to eat at greater volumes - caloric intake included.
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Two can play this game...
    Check out my diary - living proof that NOT refraining from processed sugar-based foods works and allows me to eat at greater volumes - caloric intake included.

can I play too? Check out my diary. Proof that NOT refraining from processed foods (and you will also see things like cheesecake, wine, and hard cider in there) can not only lead to better health but also leads to this ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

58841349.png

+1 x 1000!!!

:)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    YES, sugar is BAD for us.

And for those of you that do not know - ALL CARBOHYDRATES are converted into GLUCOSE by the body.

Regarding the composition of fruit - I am not a chemist and I too have read the web link that with regard to herrspoons comments "There are three dietery monosaccharides - glucose, fructose and galactose. Lactose, like maltose and sucrose, is a disaccharide."

What I was trying to put across is that eating a whole fruit, although it contains "sugar" has healthy benefits because of the vitamins, antioxidants and fibre that it contains. And drinking fruit juice is not the same as having a whole fruit.

With regard to the sugar content in the yogurts - I was advised by my dietician to go for the ones that contain 3% of sugar or less. Now 3% of any amount is 3% for those of you that do not know your maths. And of course, if you are counting your calorie intake the more you eat the more calories you will have eaten, but the percentage of sugar will still
    be 3% of the total that you ate (the carbohydrate of which are sugars will be different).

There was an advert on UK TV last night, with regard to people cutting down on their intake of sugar! A programme a couple of nights ago on UK TV about the Tudors, showed how their health deteriorated because of eating - SUGAR! The sugar caused dreadful tooth decay and because of that, bacteria entered into the blood stream. Their dentistry was not as advanced as ours and they did not have pain killing relief nor any antibiotics. Any rotten teeth were pulled out with no sedation. Most of them had died because of blood poisoning due to getting the rotten teeth (and infections) which was an entry for bacteria from eating too much SUGAR!

Our modern diet consists of too much sugar and sugar in all sorts of products (hidden sugars).

There was also a programme not long ago on UK TV that talked about that sugar is far worse than fat.
    Many years ago we were told that butter was no good for us, now we are told that it is better to eat butter than some of the margarines. We were told that fat was bad for us and now we are told there are good fats and bad fats. The good fats are those in fish, nuts, avocado pears and coconuts.

Eating everything in moderation is the key, but with people who have a glucose intolerance or have diabetes, it is even more important to control sugar intake whether this is from simple or complex carbs.

Eating a snickers bar everyday is fine as long as you are eating other healthy foods and are not glucose intolerant or a diabetic.

Please do not post as an authority when it is clear that you are not.

Look in the mirror. You and some of the other Sugar Bots on here are living paid mouthpieces for the industry. She hit it right on the nose.

Oh btw - losing weight again and eating at greater volumes than if I ate a diet full of sugar with less caloric intake.

Never met anyone with large amounts of visceral fat who ate a steady diet of veggies, fruit, and good protein. I see people daily who eat processed food loaded with sugar with an abundance of fat on them. Empirically, it's very obvious.

Physical is coming for you naysayers - early February - scheduled.

PBF and in-body test this Saturday.

Check out my diary - living proof that refraining from processed sugar-based foods works and allows me to eat at greater volumes - caloric intake included.
    So where's my paycheck?
    sugar3money.jpg
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

OP - unless you have a medical condition that makes you sensitive to sugar there is no reason to avoid it or view it as "bad"...

Isn't that what we all came for? Because the OP certainly didn't call it the devil.

It seems to me that others are nit picking for the sake of nit picking. The post was about which option of yogurt we thought was better to facilitate weight loss.

Yet the usual "don't deomonize sugar" crowd chooses to nit pick that one remark, which really had little to do with her question, just so they could preach their usual sermon.

why start with I know sugar is bad...< which is not the case unless OP has a medical condition ...

How would I know why the OP words her posts the way she does? Why respond to a post if you aren't going to actually respond to the questions asked? Why hijack a thread? Surely there are other legimate 'sugar is evil' threads out there on which to preach.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    YES, sugar is BAD for us.

And for those of you that do not know - ALL CARBOHYDRATES are converted into GLUCOSE by the body.

Regarding the composition of fruit - I am not a chemist and I too have read the web link that with regard to herrspoons comments "There are three dietery monosaccharides - glucose, fructose and galactose. Lactose, like maltose and sucrose, is a disaccharide."

What I was trying to put across is that eating a whole fruit, although it contains "sugar" has healthy benefits because of the vitamins, antioxidants and fibre that it contains. And drinking fruit juice is not the same as having a whole fruit.

With regard to the sugar content in the yogurts - I was advised by my dietician to go for the ones that contain 3% of sugar or less. Now 3% of any amount is 3% for those of you that do not know your maths. And of course, if you are counting your calorie intake the more you eat the more calories you will have eaten, but the percentage of sugar will still
    be 3% of the total that you ate (the carbohydrate of which are sugars will be different).

There was an advert on UK TV last night, with regard to people cutting down on their intake of sugar! A programme a couple of nights ago on UK TV about the Tudors, showed how their health deteriorated because of eating - SUGAR! The sugar caused dreadful tooth decay and because of that, bacteria entered into the blood stream. Their dentistry was not as advanced as ours and they did not have pain killing relief nor any antibiotics. Any rotten teeth were pulled out with no sedation. Most of them had died because of blood poisoning due to getting the rotten teeth (and infections) which was an entry for bacteria from eating too much SUGAR!

Our modern diet consists of too much sugar and sugar in all sorts of products (hidden sugars).

There was also a programme not long ago on UK TV that talked about that sugar is far worse than fat.
    Many years ago we were told that butter was no good for us, now we are told that it is better to eat butter than some of the margarines. We were told that fat was bad for us and now we are told there are good fats and bad fats. The good fats are those in fish, nuts, avocado pears and coconuts.

Eating everything in moderation is the key, but with people who have a glucose intolerance or have diabetes, it is even more important to control sugar intake whether this is from simple or complex carbs.

Eating a snickers bar everyday is fine as long as you are eating other healthy foods and are not glucose intolerant or a diabetic.

Please do not post as an authority when it is clear that you are not.

Look in the mirror. You and some of the other Sugar Bots on here are living paid mouthpieces for the industry. She hit it right on the nose.

Oh btw - losing weight again and eating at greater volumes than if I ate a diet full of sugar with less caloric intake.

Never met anyone with large amounts of visceral fat who ate a steady diet of veggies, fruit, and good protein. I see people daily who eat processed food loaded with sugar with an abundance of fat on them. Empirically, it's very obvious.

Physical is coming for you naysayers - early February - scheduled.

PBF and in-body test this Saturday.

I'll match you. For 30 years I've been at this and have had sugar in my diet daily. There are LOTS of "sugar bots" who are also athletes and trainers throughout the world who do the same and don't suffer from from being very overweight or obesity. Why? Because it's OVER CONSUMPTION of it that's the issue for anyone.
    It's fine that you've found what works for you and that you don't handle sugar well, but just because the formula you're currently using is helping you to lose weight, it doesn't mean that people who consume sugar daily in their diet lack any chance of being able to do the same.
    Oh and if you knew of any Pacific Islanders before the 50's (Samoans, Hawaiians, Palauans, etc.), you'd see they were MANY that had lots of visceral fat before that processed loaded foods era. Why? Because they ate a lot.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    So where's my paycheck?
    sugar3money.jpg

Ooh, pretty sugar. So that is how the devil leads us into perdition >:)

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    hmcbride68 wrote: »

As far as the legitimacy of a PhD goes, history is FULL of unbelievably dumb things eventually proven wrong that came out of the bloated ego-stroked minds of "doctors". There are PhD's who believe in fascism, PhD's who believe in UFO aliens, PhD's who believe in ghosts, PhD's who search for bigfoot, PhD's who believe the universe is a couple thousand years old, PhD's who believe in astrology, PhD's who believe world peace is an achievable goal, PhD's who believe certain racial subsets of humans are superior to others, PhD's and MD's who believe children with birth defects should not be allowed to live, There are MD's who believe that cancer can be treated by nothing more than talking to the tumor and playing it soothing music, and on and on and on... College professors are some of the nuttiest people I've ever met, and many of them rely on people who consider themselves lesser thinkers to parrot whatever silly idea they present as "fact" simply because they envy the letters after their name

And this is why the old nickname for a PhD came about: fuddy duddy (aka Phuddy Duddy)

An old boss of mine used to say it was Piled High and Deep.

• kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    The body burns sugar and fat for energy. Fat is a better source because it lasts longer. If you look at the labels on yogurt the low fat probably has more sugar than the full fat. Both are needed for your body, but let me tell you sugar is added to EVERYTHING so it' really easy to over do it.

Yes it does, but it also has more protein than the full fat. This is not because of sugar and protein being added, it is because the nonfat yogurt has some of the water removed for taste and texture so the nutrients are more concentrated.

Unless you need a lot of energy quickly, in which case sugar (or carbs in general) are miles better.

herrspoons of course! Between sugar, fat and protein the one that should be consumed the least is sugar. That being said, even if it were possible to completely cut sugar one should not. Sugar is needed for normal body function too. Without it chaos ensues, especially for the pancreas.
    I have never looked at what they do exactly to make yogurt nonfat and I honestly never compared the protein content. I just eat other things that have higher protein levels in them.

I noticed a question in the thread asking what the difference is between refined sugar and natural sugar. Personally I don't think there is a difference in the sugars themselves, except that natural sugar like fructose is found in fruit which also has other good nutrients like fiber and vitamins. So in my mind that makes fructose superior because in order to obtain that sugar I'm getting other good stuff too. Instead of nothing but sugar and more sugar like in a donut.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

If they're both plain yogurts, there's no added sugar, the lowfat just has more milk sugar since it's more concentrated by volume by the removal of the fat.

• J72FIT
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The body burns sugar and fat for energy.
    Correct but don't forget protein, it can burn protein as well if needed...
    Fat is a better source because it lasts longer.
    Better? Different energy pathway for different activities... so I would not say better.
  • kaotik26
    Options

If they're both plain yogurts, there's no added sugar, the lowfat just has more milk sugar since it's more concentrated by volume by the removal of the fat.

I'd take lactose over refined sugars any day! I'm just not sure if that count on the nutrition label is refined or natural so i just go for the lower amount because sugar is my weakness throughout the day so I have plenty in my system, I don't need more. And thanks, somebody else said that they remove water from the yogurt to make it lowfat and more concentrated and it didn't make sense to me. I get it now. I have no knowledge on how foods get processed.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

How would I know why the OP words her posts the way she does? Why respond to a post if you aren't going to actually respond to the questions asked? Why hijack a thread? Surely there are other legimate 'sugar is evil' threads out there on which to preach.

no one hijacked the thread..

they corrected a false statement that "she knows that sugar is bad..." which it is not, barring a medical condition.

why does it bother you so much?
  • kaotik26
    Options
    Better? Different energy pathway for different activities... so I would not say better.

I just didn't include protein because it was irrelevant to the thread. As I understand from studying anatomy and physiology as far as how long these sources last sugars are processed by the body the quickest, so they can burn out before you are ready to crash, but they are still needed by the body (ie keeping insulin levels at their correct levels). Fats are in the middle of this length of burn time as well as helping with other things like absorption of vitamins and brain health. Protein is the one that takes the longest to burn because it's makeup is more complex. It is also the source that feeds muscle tissue the best, hence why body builders ingest so much to create hypertrophy. They are all necessary, but each one has a limit, sugar needs to be the one to limit the most, fat can pose a problem in higher numbers as well. When I chose my foods I know that a chicken breast, fruit and olive oil are some of the better sources to obtain these because they are 'real' and my body will utilize them better.

Mind you this was basic anatomy but it's how I understand what I need the most. I'm no Nutritionist and always learning. So now I'm gonna go learn more about that energy pathway you mentioned.
  • J72FIT
    Options

I just didn't include protein because it was irrelevant to the thread. As I understand from studying anatomy and physiology as far as how long these sources last sugars are processed by the body the quickest, so they can burn out before you are ready to crash, but they are still needed by the body (ie keeping insulin levels at their correct levels). Fats are in the middle of this length of burn time as well as helping with other things like absorption of vitamins and brain health. Protein is the one that takes the longest to burn because it's makeup is more complex. It is also the source that feeds muscle tissue the best, hence why body builders ingest so much to create hypertrophy. They are all necessary, but each one has a limit, sugar needs to be the one to limit the most, fat can pose a problem in higher numbers as well. When I chose my foods I know that a chicken breast, fruit and olive oil are some of the better sources to obtain these because they are 'real' and my body will utilize them better.

Mind you this was basic anatomy but it's how I understand what I need the most. I'm no Nutritionist and always learning. So now I'm gonna go learn more about that energy pathway you mentioned.

https://www.acefitness.org/blog/3256/the-three-primary-energy-pathways-explained
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Protein is the one that takes the longest to burn because it's makeup is more complex. It is also the source that feeds muscle tissue the best, hence why body builders ingest so much to create hypertrophy.
    I don't believe protein creates hypertrophy, stimulating the muscle with resistance does.

They are all necessary, but each one has a limit, sugar needs to be the one to limit the most
    Why?
    fat can pose a problem in higher numbers as well.
    Why?
    When I chose my foods I know that a chicken breast, fruit and olive oil are some of the better sources to obtain these because they are 'real' and my body will utilize them better.
    How do you know this? What did you do to measure this outcome?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

no one hijacked the thread..

they corrected a false statement that "she knows that sugar is bad..." which it is not, barring a medical condition.

why does it bother you so much?

People correcting that statement does not bother me. People posting smart remarks about the OP demonizing sugar does. I don't know why it bothers me, but it does. Probably the same reason someone saying 'sugar is bad' bothers you. It's not true.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    So where's my paycheck?
    sugar3money.jpg

Ooh, pretty sugar. So that is how the devil leads us into perdition >:)

I love you.
This discussion has been closed.