Anyone go to Planet Fitness?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I never realized this, but I was told that an employee at PF actually has to sound the "lunk alarm" ...I always just assumed it went off on it own ...

that is so freaking lame...they just got some high school kid sitting by a button waiting to push it if someone gets too loud?????

The one I used to go to set the lunk alarm off just for fun sometimes. Scared the daylights out of me one day. My brother's girlfriend had sneezed on the elliptical and they told her she was too loud and needed to quiet down.

yea, I could definitely see some people going on a power trip with that thing..

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I never realized this, but I was told that an employee at PF actually has to sound the "lunk alarm" ...I always just assumed it went off on it own ...

that is so freaking lame...they just got some high school kid sitting by a button waiting to push it if someone gets too loud?????

The one I used to go to set the lunk alarm off just for fun sometimes. Scared the daylights out of me one day. My brother's girlfriend had sneezed on the elliptical and they told her she was too loud and needed to quiet down.

Planet Library
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    I PICK STUFF UP AND PUT STUFF DOWN!

Come on, for $10 a month they're great. I run for an hour on my lunch break. I have an olympic set and do Stronglifts 3x a week at home. Sometimes I'll supplement with the weight machines at PF. (yes, free weights are better, but that doesn't mean machines won't do anything for you)

Yes, their target audience is people who are intimidated by 'bro' gyms. They partner with The Biggest Loser, which means you can see some very large people there.

There's nothing wrong with that. If you're not their target customer, go to another gym. I don't understand the PF hate.

^^Exactly this.

I don't get the PF hate either. It seems to smack of the very fitness elitism that is the reason why places like PF exist.

I have student loans that I'll be paying off forever, so I can't exactly afford to spend a ton of money for a bro gym. They are also convenient in terms of locations and hours, so I can go in whenever and there is one near my house and one on my way to work on the other side of town. The bagel and pizza days are only once a month, so it's not like members go there every day just to eat instead of working out (not to mention that pizza and bagels can be a part of a proper diet if eaten on occasion and in moderate amounts) - not to mention I have personally never partaken in either, and the locations I go to don't seem to have these tootsie rolls. I go to work out some mornings and on the weekend. I get in, do my cardio and resistance machines, and that's it.

If you're looking for a place to lift heavy, PF isn't for you. But if you're getting into fitness (or back into fitness in my case), then PF fits that niche.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    lulz, bro gym.

PF is good at fostering the proper mindset in their customer base.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with that. If you're not their target customer, go to another gym. I don't understand the PF hate.
    I explained that previously. There's nothing wrong with having a gym for moderate or below-moderate users. The problem is with the methods that they use in targeting that market.

For some reason, a lot of PF defenders don't grasp this distinction. For example, critics complain about the falsehoods they spout, such as the incorrect information that they spread about fitness and other gyms. In response, defenders typically say, "So you're not their target market. Why should you care?"

The thing is, that's NOT the problem. There is simply no justification for spreading such falsehoods around, regardless of what one's target market is.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    Speaking of the Biggest Loser, have you ever noticed that many of the exercises on that show would absolutely set the lunk alarm off at Planet Fitness? And yet this is one of their corporate sponsors. That should tell you something.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    I explained that previously. There's nothing wrong with having a gym for moderate or below-moderate users. The problem is with the methods that they use in targeting that market.

For some reason, a lot of PF defenders don't grasp this distinction. For example, critics complain about the falsehoods they spout, such as the incorrect information that they spread about fitness and other gyms. In response, defenders typically say, "So you're not their target market. Why should you care?"

The thing is, that's NOT the problem. There is simply no justification for spreading such falsehoods around, regardless of what one's target market is.

Well, at least you've changed your reasons for disliking PF. Before it was because they didn't offer cable machines or free weights, so that discouraged those poor overweight, out of shape suckers that go there.

Now it's the marketing they use.

Cool. Good to know.

PF is doing something totally right. They get tons of attention here on MFP.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    planet no gainz would be a better name...
  • mechele68
    mechele68 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've only been working out since August 2nd. I don't know the machine names and I don't keep up with the reps I do. I know I probably would have even better results if I tracked the weights. I usually go at least 6 days a week. Every time I go I use the Arc machine for an hour and I honestly think its helped reduce my thunder thighs. Every other day I do the 30 minute circuit minus the steps. On the days I don't do the circuit I use the weights in the ab and stretch area. Then I will either do the treadmill for another hour or the bike for an hour. So far this has worked for me. I wish I could say how many inches I've lost but I accidentally threw away the notebook I had written them in. I can tell you I had to buy all new clothes. Everything was too big and now I'm washing a lot of things on hot to try to shrink them.
    Anytime I feel like I can't do another second I tell myself "I can do anything for 5 more minutes". Some days thats all that gets me through my workout.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    What false marketing are they spreading?

The only PF ads I've seen pretty much just say "the jocks who scared you in high school don't workout here"

They're pretty funny......I guess, unless you were that jock in high school.......
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I have a membership that I use on *kitten* weather days when I can't get out on my bike...it's only $10 per month so it's basically just an insurance thing for me...I usually use a stationary bike or sometimes do the elliptical. I go to another gym for my weight lifting as I require an olympic platform and bumper plates.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I have a Planet Fitness and a 24 hour fitness within a half mile from my apartment. I used the planet Fitness for a while when I first moved here. For $20 per month I could use the tanning and bring a friend or family member with me for free. They were very limited on their equipment, but it was all in good condition, and the place was kept clean.

Once I got the money, I went to Costco and bought me a membership pass for 24 hour fitness. I think it works out to about $15 per month, but I paid for a two year membership. (I think it cost me about $450.) They do have more equipment. They have a pool, and they have fitness classes, but I have noticed that a lot of the cardio equipment there is in poor condition, and there are only about 4 TV channels to choose from when you use it. (I mostly use weights, anyway, so it works well for me.) My wife, on the other hand, likes doing mostly cardio. I bought her a 24 hour membership, but the cardio equipment is above the pool, so it gets hot and humid up there. I am trying to talk her into trying Planet Fitness until she decides to branch out from the normal cardio and weight machines. I think she would prefer the atmosphere there a little more than at 24 hour Fitness.
  • jacqueline7599
    jacqueline7599 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    They opened one by my work. So I go cause it's cheap and convenient. It's huge. Squat machine and all. I have never ate pizza there. I think it's good for people who are low income but want to work out. If you want to be a body builder them go to a different gym. I see plenty of fine, sexy, big, built men in the one I go to.
  • jacqueline7599
    Options
    Oh and mine has free weights. So this whole no free weights and no squat machine thing??
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Oh and mine has free weights. So this whole no free weights and no squat machine thing??

The one I used had dumbbells that went up to 70 lbs, Barbells that went up to 90 lbs, 3 Smith machines, and a leg press machine that took Olympic plates. They also had a cable station for things like lat pulls, triceps push downs and seated cable pulls.

The problems for me came when my strength gains progressed past their limited free weights.

• spartan_d
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »

Well, at least you've changed your reasons for disliking PF. Before it was because they didn't offer cable machines or free weights, so that discouraged those poor overweight, out of shape suckers that go there.

Now it's the marketing they use.
    You're misrepresenting what I said. I said that I *wish* they'd provide cable machines (which, as it turns out, some locations do). This is NOT the same as saying that they MUIST provide such equipment.

My point was that you can get make progress at Planet Fitness, but that the equipment they provide limits your ability to do so. That's unfortunate, but not despicable. What is despicable is their overall philosophy and business strategy, for reasons that we have discussed here.
    PF is doing something totally right. They get tons of attention here on MFP.
    Seriously? Getting attention is a laudable goal, in and of itself? Clearly then, ISIS is doing something totally right as well.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    What false marketing are they spreading?
    Any gym which says that you should avoid other gyms because the experienced gym patrons will make fun of you is feeding imaginary fears and spreading falsehoods. Not to mention their claims (which I've heard first-hand from their staff) that bench pressing and barbell squatting is only for bodybuilders. Or their claim that grunting serves no useful purpose in building strength. Or the way their commercials say that bodybuilders are lunks and morons, that slender women are vapid airheads, and that Zumba instructors are vicious, snarling, taskmasters.

The following has been posted before, but it's totally worth watching... if you want to hear their own management explain their philosophy. The things they say may shock you.

http://milkandcookies.com/link/267592
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Every gym should have a cable machine. They're really useful for people working around injuries and other limitations, you can do a lot with them. It would be pointless for me to go to a gym that didn't have one.

That said, I would totally go to a PF, if it had one, because $10 > $50 in my math
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I think I must've gotten lucky because my PF has squat racks, an area with battle ropes and a medicine ball rebounder etc. Also plenty o' dumbells and cable machines. As for the pizza, who cares? People on here preach CICO and IIFYM all the time, but when a gym gives away free pizza once a month the same people lose their minds =X Other gyms I've been to have had smoothie and deli bars , which is just as "bad".
  • jacqueline7599
    Options
    I think I must've gotten lucky because my PF has squat racks, an area with battle ropes and a medicine ball rebounder etc. Also plenty o' dumbells and cable machines. As for the pizza, who cares? People on here preach CICO and IIFYM all the time, but when a gym gives away free pizza once a month the same people lose their minds =X Other gyms I've been to have had smoothie and deli bars , which is just as "bad".

My gym has all that also. I think they just want to *kitten*. I however am not going to the gym to be a bodybuilder. So I'm good lol. Idk about anyone else but I can't stand hearing guys moan and groan at the gym.