Not so healthy foods

Options
When you have not so healthy food in the house (that you know you won't be satisfied until they're gone) and you can't throw them out, is it better to just eat them up and get rid of them or is it better to stretch out the sabotage over multiple days? For example my husband brought home some doughnuts, should we get them eaten up and have 1 REALLY bad day, or have a couple of pretty bad caloric days?

Replies

• honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Doesn't make a difference.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    just throw them away
  • PerkisPower
    PerkisPower Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    carrieous wrote: »
    just throw them away

Couldn't agree more. Sadly, it seems many people on here argue there is no such thing as unhealthy foods.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,945 Member
    Options
    just throw them away

Couldn't agree more. Sadly, it seems many people on here argue there is no such thing as unhealthy foods.
    What is unhealthy about a donut, other then overconsumption of a calorific food source? All foods, all of them have some nutritional value and depending on the context and dosage, any particular food choice could fit someone's goals. Personally someone that believes there are bad foods, just doesn't understand nutrition enough to make that distinction. imo

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    just throw them away

Sadly, there are people here who demonize foods and make it that much harder on people to succeed. Oh, there is no such thing as unhealthy food. There is no food you can name that I cant give you an example of it contributing to a healthy diet.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Day(s)-old donuts aren't very good. I probably wouldn't waste any of my calories on old donuts. A fresh donut I would make room for, though.

People sabotage themselves and then they blame donuts. There is nothing about a donut that says "Hey you there! Eat me and all of my donut friends in one sitting."

No one is twisting your arm into behaving in an unreasonable and destructive fashion.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    There are no bad foods, just bad information and bad decisions which lead to bad behavior.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    jessij215 wrote: »
    When you have not so healthy food in the house (that you know you won't be satisfied until they're gone) and you can't throw them out, is it better to just eat them up and get rid of them or is it better to stretch out the sabotage over multiple days? For example my husband brought home some doughnuts, should we get them eaten up and have 1 REALLY bad day, or have a couple of pretty bad caloric days?

If you do not want to throw away the doughnuts, bury them in the yard or put them in the garbage disposal. ( I do not allow trigger foods into the house. )
    Do whatever you have to do to stay under your calorie goal.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Send them to me
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Id say fit them into your calorie allowance over the next few days/weeks, if you are trying to make a lifestyle change from less to more nutrionally dense foods, this will at least help you to keep within your assigned intake.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    just throw them away

Sadly, there are people here who demonize foods and make it that much harder on people to succeed. Oh, there is no such thing as unhealthy food. There is no food you can name that I cant give you an example of it contributing to a healthy diet.

This is interesting, as even country to country some foods/additives that are considered safe/healthy in some are banned in others.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Ok, it would be better to eat one as a snack and make it fit into your daily calories.

Just because your husband brought doughnuts, doesn't mean YOU have to finish them all either. Let him eat most of them. Learn to have self control and ignore what's there, but also learn how to fit these kinds of snacks moderately into your meals. Or will you avoid not so healthy snacks for the rest of your life?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    jessij215 wrote: »

If you do not want to throw away the doughnuts, bury them in the yard or put them in the garbage disposal. ( I do not allow trigger foods into the house. )
    Do whatever you have to do to stay under your calorie goal.

I agree. I also don't keep trigger foods at home. I might have one small piece of a high-calorie, low-value food when I'm out, but keeping a LOT of that stuff at home is asking for trouble. A single donut in the context of an overall lower calorie diet won't make or break you, but why make it harder on yourself if you know donuts are a weak spot for you?

I don't believe in willpower, I believe in success.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    just throw them away

What is unhealthy about a donut, other then overconsumption of a calorific food source? All foods, all of them have some nutritional value and depending on the context and dosage, any particular food choice could fit someone's goals. Personally someone that believes there are bad foods, just doesn't understand nutrition enough to make that distinction. imo

There's nothing wrong with one donut. But five donuts, maybe, yes, depending on what else got eaten that day. The problem is it's often a slippery slope - people start with one high calorie/low value meal and find it hard to stop, and harder to make a weight-serving choice at the next. It's just how people are, especially if they don't have a lot of experience in choosing higher-value foods (calorie for satiety/nutrition).

I think it's smart for people to try to focus on whole/"healthy" foods in the beginning, and incorporate treats after they've retrained their brains and eyes and guts a bit. If that means calling high-cal/low-value foods "unhealthy" for a while, so what? That's how many learn to treat treats as treats.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,945 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    just throw them away

There's nothing wrong with one donut. But five donuts, maybe, yes, depending on what else got eaten that day. The problem is it's often a slippery slope - people start with one high calorie/low value meal and find it hard to stop, and harder to make a weight-serving choice at the next. It's just how people are, especially if they don't have a lot of experience in choosing higher-value foods (calorie for satiety/nutrition).

I think it's smart for people to try to focus on whole/"healthy" foods in the beginning, and incorporate treats after they've retrained their brains and eyes and guts a bit. If that means calling high-cal/low-value foods "unhealthy" for a while, so what? That's how many learn to treat treats as treats.
    I believe I mentioned context and dosage, yes I did. I'm hoping nobody minds if I don't call my 9% fat yogurt unhealthy because I do eat too much of it. Later

• johnstoncarol612
    johnstoncarol612 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just eat 1/2 of one a day
  • johnstoncarol612
    johnstoncarol612 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Lard, sugar and white flour are empty nutrition
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Lard, sugar and white flour are empty nutrition

Who cares if you like donuts?

Meet your macros, save the rest of your calories, eat donuts until you hit calorie goal. If there are still donuts afterward, stick them in the freezer.

I can't stand wasted food.