Not so healthy foods

Options

Replies

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I really hate food wastage, so I would say definitely don't throw them away!

I don't see why eating one a day would give you a bad calorie day? If you insist on eating them until they're gone (i.e. can't ignore them), then save enough calories by eating smaller meals so you can fit one in as a dessert.

Or, if you're afraid that it'll take you down a slippery slope, take them to the breakroom at work/school or send them with your husband to his workplace... They'll be gone in twenty minutes flat, without you having eaten any of them!
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I would fit one a day into my calories!
  • ItsMe0909
    Options
    Did you advise your husband you are on a diet? If so; not very supportive that he brought a high calorie temptation home in the first place.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    jessij215 wrote: »
    When you have not so healthy food in the house (that you know you won't be satisfied until they're gone) and you can't throw them out, is it better to just eat them up and get rid of them or is it better to stretch out the sabotage over multiple days? For example my husband brought home some doughnuts, should we get them eaten up and have 1 REALLY bad day, or have a couple of pretty bad caloric days?

If bury them in the yard

In hopes of what? Sprouting a little donut tree? That's where those mini donuts come from, right? :smile:

All things set aside, if there's a food you know you have trouble with, I would try to learn to eat it in moderation. Doing things to rid yourself of them (ie burying them, spraying them with perfume, putting sharpie on them) is kind of disordered. That "okay it's gone forever, can't eat that because it's physically inedible" is a mentality that can lead to failure, imo.

Someone mentioned donuts not being too good in the days following the purchase, so maybe you and your SO could consider this next time and just buy enough donuts to have one or two. Others have also mentioned bringing them to work or to a neighbor, which is a good idea.

No foods are bad, just bear that in mind. Moderation is a good skill, and I know personally, it took me a long time to master that. I still slip up, but that's life.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'd eat a couple within my calories and not touch the rest (they're not as good the next day anyway!). Assuming it's GOOD donuts, obviously.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    jessij215 wrote: »
    When you have not so healthy food in the house (that you know you won't be satisfied until they're gone) and you can't throw them out, is it better to just eat them up and get rid of them or is it better to stretch out the sabotage over multiple days? For example my husband brought home some doughnuts, should we get them eaten up and have 1 REALLY bad day, or have a couple of pretty bad caloric days?

Portion them out and fit them into your daily calories. You can still have a good day and have a donut or two. I'm not sure why people think eating certain foods automatically equals sabotage. It's not the food. It's how much of it you eat. Any food can "sabotage" your eating plan if eaten in excess. Don't throw them away. Honestly, as someone who struggled with money and having enough food, it irritates me when people throw food away. If you choose not to keep it, give it to someone who will eat it.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    You should span them over a couple of days. I say this purely because it'll probably be easier to fit into your daily caloric intake without going over. I don't believe in demonizing foods. Donuts are just another source of fat and carbs.

Don't throw out food, that is extremely wasteful.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    ItsMe0909 wrote: »
    Did you advise your husband you are on a diet? If so; not very supportive that he brought a high calorie temptation home in the first place.

So he shouldn't have anything because his wife goes on a diet?

OP fit them into your day, I had a donut today, I'll log it, and make it work for the day. For those demonizing food, food is just food stop making it more than it is. Don't waste it!
  • Francl27
    Options

OP fit them into your day, I had a donut today, I'll log it, and make it work for the day. For those demonizing food, food is just food stop making it more than it is. Don't waste it!

Well, he doesn't have to bring home 6 donuts either (just a random number). I mean, if I want a donut and I know my husband is trying to lose weight, I'll just buy one (or two).

Just IMO...
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Well, he doesn't have to bring home 6 donuts either (just a random number). I mean, if I want a donut and I know my husband is trying to lose weight, I'll just buy one (or two).

Just IMO...

Why not? Maybe he wanted all of them. What my husband brings home to eat does not mean I have to eat it. Just because one of us chooses to lose weight doesn't mean the other has to change what they would normally do.
  • Francl27
    Options
    It doesn't seem to be the case here, as OP is wondering if she should eat them now or later. I wouldn't even consider eating my husband's food if he told me he brought them home for himself... so I'm assuming that her husband brought them home to share.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    It doesn't seem to be the case here, as OP is wondering if she should eat them now or later. I wouldn't even consider eating my husband's food if he told me he brought them home for himself... so I'm assuming that her husband brought them home to share.

But even if he brings them home to share I can decide if I want to eat them or not. I make those decisions all the time
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I made bread pudding with plain donuts once. It was amazing. You could bake it, then freeze it in portions so you can't stuff yourself silly in one night.
  • Francl27
    edited January 2015
    Options

But even if he brings them home to share I can decide if I want to eat them or not. I make those decisions all the time

It still doesn't make it nice to bring something that might tempt you just because 'you don't have to have one', when clearly there's too much for one person anyway (or I should say, when he doesn't intend to eat it all anyway). Well at least I'm glad I don't have THAT relationship with my husband (ok pizza is an exception, most places don't make small pizzas, but you don't HAVE to buy 6 donuts), but to each their own I guess.
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I made bread pudding with plain donuts once. It was amazing. You could bake it, then freeze it in portions so you can't stuff yourself silly in one night.

That sounds fantastic!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I agree with many that you can just eat one, or possibly two, and make it fit into your day. You don't have to eat all the donuts, just because they are there.

I don't understand all the advise not to throw them out. You and your husband should eat what you want and enjoy. I don't like wasting food, but if OP's husband is not going to finish them, and if having them around makes moderating too difficult for the OP, I say throw them out. And then have husband not buy so many next time.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

It still doesn't make it nice to bring something that might tempt you just because 'you don't have to have one', when clearly there's too much for one person anyway (or I should say, when he doesn't intend to eat it all anyway). Well at least I'm glad I don't have THAT relationship with my husband (ok pizza is an exception, most places don't make small pizzas, but you don't HAVE to buy 6 donuts), but to each their own I guess.
    yesimpson wrote: »

That sounds fantastic!

But maybe he's buying them for a couple days, or freeze them whatever the reason is. My decision to lose weight should not impact what my husband chooses to do. Just like when I find a good sale on Talenti I buy as much as possible, doesn't mean I'm eating it all at once. It has nothing to do with being nice or not, or supportive or not.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I see weirdness on both sides of the fence here.

One side can't bear to see food wasted, and is declaring all food as being equal.

The other side is dividing the pantry in to "good" and "bad" food.

Doughnuts? Really? If the dieter can't stop at half, the doughnuts have to go.

There are some foods I just won't have around because they are too tempting. I give it away or throw it out. I love to cook and bake and sometimes I just make too much. I package some and give the rest away.

The world won't stand up and give you an ovation if you save every bit of food that comes through the door, trying to squeeze it in to your plan. This coming from me, who has the carcass of a roast chicken in my freezer right now, for soup later. I save what I can but there are limits.
  • ItsMe0909
    Options

Was that his only option of foods to bring home? He could just enjoy one or two where he purchased them.

In my own weight loss journey; I definitely have been faced with making the proper decisions; and I've budgeted in my Fannie May and sparkling wine - while still losing weight.

But, if my husband came home with a box of delicious bagels; I would be floored by his lack of sensitivity. (I love bagels!) Of all people; I do expect my significant other to support my endeavors. My weight loss is not a forever thing.

In regard to other household members restricting items that they enjoy because another is on a diet - that's a tough one. I think the answer is how one goes about it. There are so many foods to enjoy. And, it should be easy to determine, especially in a significant other; what foods might lead to derailing their objective.

And, there's the timing or location of where non-dieting members keep their goodies. My husband wanted salty snacks. Salt is the devil for me. I bought him a nice array of salty snacks, and put them in a container so that he can keep them in his service truck. I think I am more sensitive to the deprivation of junk food when on a diet; where it may make it more tempting for the really good (bad!) stuff. When I am in 'maintenance'; an occasional calorie splurge will be ok - but I still need to maintain overall control and focus on calorie goals.

From my perspective with 2 people in the house, sharing food, and the support we provide each other; I do expect that each of us consider the other persons needs first and make it work for us both.

• Francl27
    Options
    I asked my husband what he thought about it and his answer was that it's pretty obnoxious from the husband, lol. We can assume what we want, but from the OP's post, it seems pretty clear to me that the husband didn't come with 6 donuts and said 'oh they are for me'. I'm guessing if he had, the OP wouldn't be asking when *she* should eat them.

I see the Talenti reference, and yeah, I used to stock up on that too - but it keeps forever. Donuts don't. For the bagels though, I did that three weeks ago, they were 12 for $5 so I got 12, and we froze 8 right away. It worked out just fine. I don't know how well donuts freeze though, or I'd just do that (I still have frozen pumpkin krugel in my freezer).