WOMEN AGES 50+ for MAY

Options

Replies

• mynyddisamrs
    mynyddisamrs Posts: 387
    Options
    Well ....how are you all? good I hope!!
    I'm recovering from my dear Grandaughter's Hot tub Birthday Party. Phew!!! Just how much noise can 8 girls make?!!!
    We did burgers and hot dogs, cake and crisps etc etc. I ate one burger...no bap etc and boy do I regret it now..... it's still talking to me!! DH is snoozing beside me here....too much for grandad ...ah!!
    The weather has turned here ...typical when you need it to be sunny.....and it rained but at least the tub is in the garden room. We used what was my mum's bedroom for a changing room ...duly signposted as was the bathroom and Food venue! We also put a no entry sign across our stairs to prevent the girls running riot upstairs too!! We dried hair in relays and then had a Nail Painting session. As I said ....Phew!!!
    And tomorrow we do it all over as it's her birthday tomorrow and she's having family and stragglers for tea at her house!!
    Her cake was a lovely gooey chocolate cake.........tempted but no thanks!!

DH and #1 son actually got my old oven out and in the garage today ...no mishaps or visits to A&E!!! amazing ...for them!!

Spoke to #2 grandson on the phone today .....I spoke and he babbled as a 20 month does!! I found out enough to hear he'd been on the "Naughty Step" for climbing on his high chair and onto the table!! Boys eh!! He's got to learn no ! means no! but I wish i'd been there to see this angelic little tot with his halo a bit askew!!! Still we'll see him next week when they come up to visit...can't wait.
    So now i'm off to cook supper. Well breakfast really as we missed out on that. I didn't win the argument about going out to eat as we have no oven or grill!! Oh well ....never mind!
    Hope you're all enjoying your weekends

BFN
    Jackie
  • lindaj07
    lindaj07 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I've been on MFP off and on for a couple of years. Still struggling to lose the last 10lbs. I've been at a plateau for 2 years now and can't seem to break free of it. I've tried everything.... But here I am again.... My goal is to lose my last 10lbs by June 10( a little over a month). I could really use one or two (or more) people to keep me honest here and keep me posting and watching how many calories I am burning and eating. Is there someone in this group that is willing to do this? I've tried others and never seem to get the support I am looking for. I am hoping I can find it here. Please! If I fail to show up let me know!! I have a busy job... one that keeps me moving all the time. I never really know from day to day when I will be working or what shift.. it can change that fast. As my profile says my husband is a baker.. he love to bake and is always baking something. I try to stay away from it...but sometimes I crack and just have to have some.
    I started this morning...again!! burned 424 calories in 45 minutes... and plan on working out again tonight when I get home from work. I hope that someone will stand behind me and keep pushing... I could really use a support system! Thanks for taking time to read my ramblings.. but off to work again... hope to find some mail when i get home tonight. DenimAngel
    We're right behind you! Good luck! Must be difficult with that last 10 lbs! :flowerforyou: 425 cals in 45 mins sounds fantastic cal burn to me!
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    I had a horrible, awful, nasty old eating day yesterday. Started out fine but then I went to a Garden Club tea with my mom, sisters, and sister-in-law to celebrate Mother’s Day. Restraining myself from eating lots of itsy bitsy goodies is not my strong suit. :noway:

We had to go through a buffet line for the savories. The servers used tongs to give us one each. That was fine. BUT, they brought the cute little desserts to the table on a tray and LEFT it there! And, we had only family at the table to see! Oh gads. Tiny homemade scones (with lemon curd and clotted cream), shortbread, truffles, coconut cupcakes…you get the picture. Way too tempting, but yummy.

After the tea and a tour of the rose garden (spectacular), we went to my Mom and Dad’s house where we continued to nibble. You’d think we’d have foregone dinner but NO. :grumble: We put out all the leftovers from the previous day or so (cold artichokes, chicken, beans, dolmas, cookies, etc.), thawed out some shrimp, and made a big salad.

I enjoyed the yummy food but I didn’t like feeling out of control. I don’t like how often I get off track when I come down for a visit. I wish I could say it was about being a people pleaser. In this case, people would probably be more pleased to see me eat LESS.

I’m not sure if it’s about too much food staring me in the face, a return to childhood patterns (really, after 60 years?!), or something else. It bites me every time. :angry:

I refuse to go home after each visit 3-4 pounds heavier!!! :noway:

I’m looking at yesterday as an aberration and will do my best (and that’s not bad :wink: ) to stay on track the rest of the visit. It’s either that or cut my visits short and I won’t do that. Life’s too short.

Natalie, the #1 food scale on Amazon is the EatSmart Precision Pro. I had one and liked it. Be sure not to do what I did and set it on a damp counter. Moisture can and will corrode the batteries. Other than that, I loved it. I already had a Biggest Loser scale so I’m using that now. It’s fine except that it needs special (expensive) batteries. The EatSmart uses regular old batteries. I think they’re AA.

Jackie, I say spend it (the savings)! I loved your joke btw, and passed it along. Good for you for resisting the chocolate cake. You sound like a fun grandma, hosting your DGD’s birthday party – a hot tub party at that!

My 4-1/2 year DGD is a whippersnapper. The other day, her mom saw that the girls’ dresser was missing a strip of veneer. Aaargh. She asked Kate who had done it. Kate said, “If you ask me, I’ll tell you it was Olivia. And, if you ask Olivia, she’ll tell you it was me.” When DD told her it was not a presumption-of-innocence place and she’d punish them both. Kate quickly said, “Okay. I did it!”

DenimAngel, welcome. I’d be glad to look at your food diary from time to time if you send a friend request. (Assuming the food diary is open of course!)

Sally, your co-worker sounds like a control freak and PIA supreme! She must be fun to work with.:frown:

Barbie, thanks for your, as always, wise advice. :flowerforyou: You are so practical. Good words to take to heart.

Dee, good luck on your battle with the swallows. Bluebirds are so beautiful. I wish we had some here. It will be worth going to battle for. I’m glad it looks as though your kitty will be okay.

Mary, my heart goes out to you. :heart: With all that’s going on with your mom, you didn’t deserve the extra aggravation of having your credit info stolen (who does?) let alone having to negotiate tricky waters between your brother and sister. You are so level-headed, I know you will make it through intact. I’m happy for you not having regrets. That’s the best kind of relationship to have.

Jeannie, good luck to your DH in finding the right job. It’s a tough time to be looking but not worth risking life (or sanity) to stay.

Mac, I have fingers crossed for you.

Amanda, so good to see your post. I’m happy you and the baby are both on track with your recoveries.

Kackie, I wonder if you should have an EpiPen on hand. From what I’ve heard, allergic reactions get worse with each exposure. Please take care. :heart:

DebiAnn, I’ll keep your family in my prayers.

Carol, congrats on the loss. You're heading in the right direction! :flowerforyou:

Faye, your garden sounds mouth-watering. How nice of your DH to get you something for Mother’s Day that you really wanted.

Tutu, welcome and congrats on the weight loss. :flowerforyou: You’re doing great. And…you have joined the thread just by posting.

Time to get off the computer and go for a walk!
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am 76 so hope I won't be too much of an oldie for all you yung'uns.
    Been on a Calorie counting diet since April 2011 and need to get "with it" again now after some rather bad days with a very sore mouth from a tooth extraction that went a bit wrong.

Here's hoping for a better effort.
  • lindaj07
    lindaj07 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Mary, as usual, you bring me JOY! Even in the face of near catastrophe! It's good to know that banks, PayPal etc are on the ball, isn't it? I get what you're saying about the middle sister - I'm one too!
    Kackie - Finally getting round to post on your spider bite! Hope you're enjoying your day off and recover soon! :flowerforyou:
    Michele - glad you're enjoying the App and yes I think it will get better!
    About all those postf of mine from yesterday... I take it there was a glich with MFP I can't believe I could have posted that reply all those times!??!?:noway:
    Once again, my apologies!
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Good Evening …
    We had a great, busy day and I got my exercise in at the gym!! I think it helped to think of all your comments….this board is so motivating …so thanks for taking the time to log on and write it! We began our day with a First Communion for our grand-niece and then we went to my sister-in-law’s for a little party. It was really nice. I actually had a great coffee and a wonderful conversations with so many people. We went out earlier and I had an egg sandwich on an English muffin at Dunkin Donuts (wow..the sodium count!!). We came home expecting to do the lawn and my neighbor (we live in a duplex) had already done it—what a wonderful surprise. We hit the mall to get a Mother’s Day gift for my mother-in-law and Chris (my husband) had me get a gift (so I got a nice handbag). We did grocery shopping on the way home and then I hit the gym and it felt great (finally think I am getting to like the gym..yah!!!).

Natalie…. I got on my scale this morning and it was almost 4lbs down….felt wonderful because that is a new “low” number for me. I am waiting to change my ticker here because I want to see what happens. ..maybe I need to change the batteries too!!

Mary….hugs to you…. I have a mantra when things are like the week you describe…
    This too shall pass……

MacMadame…good luck. I hope the job works out for you.

Mimigrands….what a great post! The scones would have done me in too! I had lunch with a friend yesterday who was back to RI for a visit. She said the last time she was here , she went home 8 lbs heavier. We ordered egg white omelets with veggies…it was great. It’s really hard when you are visiting and eating out. My husband is the person who works with the control freak so I REALLY don’t think I need to put myself in that situation ( I am too old to deal with that nonsense !!).

Kackie…. I hope you are recovered from your spider bite. I had one last summer over my eye and it was awful. My friend got a terrible infection in the fall from one…

I hope you all enjoy Mother's Day.
  • eotrg
    eotrg Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been happily married since I was 18, and now at age 53, I am about to become a great-grandmother to my step-granddaughter's baby, who is due to be born tomorrow, on Mother's Day. Life is good.
    After having bilateral total knee replacements a few years ago, I began to be very sedentary and gained a lot of weight. My husband and I are planning to go Gulf Shores, Alabama for the winter, and I want to be much healthier and much closer to my ideal weight by November. I actually began to lose weight in February, and since then I have lost 17 lbs. I just joined MFP today, and am looking forward to tracking here.

My birthday is June 3rd. :-)
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I have been happily married since I was 18, and now at age 53, I am about to become a great-grandmother to my step-granddaughter's baby, who is due to be born tomorrow, on Mother's Day. Life is good.
    After having bilateral total knee replacements a few years ago, I began to be very sedentary and gained a lot of weight. My husband and I are planning to go Gulf Shores, Alabama for the winter, and I want to be much healthier and much closer to my ideal weight by November. I actually began to lose weight in February, and since then I have lost 17 lbs. I just joined MFP today, and am looking forward to tracking here.

My birthday is June 3rd. :-)

Welcome! I have added you to the birthday list. Come back often!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,956 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: today we had our Mothers Day celebration.:bigsmile: I took the dogs to the dog park at 7:15 AM because i knew there was going to be a big kids' game day there and I wanted to be in and out before there were any children around. The parking lot was already blocked off so I had to park at the other end of the city park and walk the dogs for about 10 minutes(past ducks, geese, and many small birds) to get to the dog park. The girls ran and chased birds off leash for over an hour then I leashed them and returned the 10 minute walk past all the birds to get to the car. Later, DH and I went to town in the rain to the arts and crafts fair that was part of the Irrigation Festival and watched the Olympic Mountain Cloggers perform. Two of my line dance friends are cloggers. Then we went out to lunch. We went to a new Mexican restaurant that didn't look good once we got inside so we decided to leave and walked across the street to a familiar Chinese restaurant and had a fabulous lunch (I had chicken curry with brown rice and egg flower soup).bigsmile bigsmile bigsmile

:flowerforyou: this afternoon I went to a gathering I go to every month for celebrating birthdays. The women there have known me for a long time and for awhile they tried to figure out what birthday treat to serve that I could eat. I kept telling them that I don't eat sweets, desserts, or anything else they might serve to celebrate a birthday so please don't try to accommodate me because I am fine having nothing. :bigsmile: Today I was talking when the treat was served and the server didn't even ask me if I wanted any and nobody commented that I'd been passed over. They finally figured out that I don't do birthday treats and it's no big deal :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Mimi, as good as I am at declining the goodies, I think I would have been severely challenged by the food treats you had presented to you today.:bigsmile: I am grateful that I wasn't there and didn't have to test my resolve. I know you'll be back on track tomorrow morning.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: welcome to all the new members:bigsmile: I look forward to hearing more from all of you.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Happy Mothers Day to all of you:bigsmile: if you are celebrating tomorrow either as a mother or a daughter I wish you the best at staying focused on the people and not making the food the reason for the day :bigsmile:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,366 Member
    Options
    Even after going above calories for the day yesterday, today was my weigh in and from last week to this week I lost 1-1/2 pounds. Go figure!!!! This probably won't last long, tho

Linda - I figure if I'm playing mahjongg, going bowling, and crocheting...then I'm not eating. Especially the crocheting...I make something for someone and I know that if I eat while I'm crocheting, I could get the food/whatever on what I'm making and I know who'll have to wash it. So lazy me just doesn't eat. Is that rationalization, or what???

Mary - I think of you every day. You certainly have a lot on your plate right now, but you seem to be handling it well. Vent all you need to

cherubcrnp - Vince has a paypal account, he only keeps like $50 in it and when he knows that he's going to purchase something, he just adds that amount to the account.

MacMadame - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you

kackie - the ziti dinner isn't until May 17. I just like to be prepared, that's all. Now I know how I'll atttack it, I'll have something filling to eat at home, have a small bite there, and tea with lemon for dessert. Thanks for asking, tho

Dee - when you did your research on ragdolls, did it happen to mention when they stop growing? On another note: you're right in that the only way to keep up with this forum is to read about twice a day.

wehavethe stars - I usually carry around a cheapo calculator with me and you have no idea how many times I've had to let the cashier use it because she couldn't figure out the change herself. More than one time I've given them money back because they gave me too much. Usually when I do this, I explain how I arrived at the correct amount. It's so sad when cashiers can't figure out simple math. Discounts, that I can understand. But simple math!!!!

Karlene - I use the apple cider vinegar whenever I have a craving for a carb, I take a sip (like a Tablespoonful or so) and this seems to squelch it, even if it is just momentarily. Eventually, I will get over my craving, I know that. The person who suggested it (I don't remember who it was) recommended organic vinegar, but I use the store brand and it seems to work just fine.

Welcome tutu!

amylull-there's no such thing as someone too old. We're so glad to have you! Ouch on the tooth extraction.

Did an hour of yoga today and I'll do an hour of hula hoop on the Wii tomorrow, then Vince and I will probably go bowling for a bit.

Have a question (yet another!) - on many mornings (like tomorrow) I do some sort of exercise at home. On those days, I usually need to have something to eat before I exercise. Like tomorrow I'm having Kashi cereal and a banana. I'm thinking of either Greek yogurt or pumpkin seeds (to balance out the carbs and protein). Does anyone else have any suggestions as to something I can have that's quick, not messy, yet easy to prepare? Update: decided on the Greek yogurt.

Welcome eotrg. Tell us more about yourself. You've come to a great place for motivation and ideas

barbie - will you have some fresh fruit for a birthday treat? I, too, would have a hard time resisting mimi's treats. Glad I wasn't there!

Happy mother's day to everyone!

Michele
  • maxymom
    maxymom Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello, Nice Ladies,:flowerforyou:

Oh, my goodness! I have not been on this board since early in April. I thought that I could jump in at the beginning of May, catch up on reading, and say a little something to everyone - but boy was i wrong!!! :noway: I did not expect there to be 10 pages already!

So, Hello to everyone, :bigsmile: and a big welcome to all the new visitors! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Thank you Barbie, for being such a wonderful steward for this thread!

Amanda, I''m glad you and your grand baby are recovering well!:happy:

Mary, I'm sorry to hear about your Mother. We lost my husband's mother last year, and it's a hard process. I think you are handling things as well as can be done.

:flowerforyou: Dee, I hope building twin birdhouses helps you bluebird/swallow dilemma. Ragdoll is such an adorable breed name! I hope your Bandit comes through with flying colors! Have you tried an ace bandage for your knee? They're old fashioned, but sometime they give that knee the little extra support it needs.

It's hard to believe that some of you ladies still have snow! :noway:

Michele, I hope your dinner went ok. I love to cook homemade food and make people happy. I would never consider trying to make people feel guilty for not eating something at my house. In fact it is a matter of pride that I know what my guests like and cater to them. It is so simple to add a few special dishes on the table that will make someone comfortable, and it is so easy to slide them in so no one notices why they're there. So often a dish that meets a particular dietary need can be served as a side dish. Oops! Sorry I'm ranting.

Happy Anniversary, Robin!

Chiclet, Glad you're almost in your new home! I'm so happy for you. You deserve it! Wish I could send you a housewarming bouquet! This will have to do :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Welcome Tutu! How lucky you are to live in Hawaii!

Welcome, Kerry, fellow Texan! I live on the Gulf coast, south of Houston.

Linda, I'm gonna walk 100 miles in May (Lord willing and the creek don't rise). I'm going to try to set up an exercise ticker tonight.

Sorry I missed so many of you , but I couldn't keep up with all the pages. I'll do better this month:blushing:

Good night, Y'all Maxy
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Cherubcrnp - I noticed that you too were having problems with others trying to use your money. Believe me, my thoughts are with you! Did you get your new card yet?

Not yet...and I really hope it comes soon. This going to the bank to cash checks is a pain
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options

Natalie…. I got on my scale this morning and it was almost 4lbs down….felt wonderful because that is a new “low” number for me. I am waiting to change my ticker here because I want to see what happens. ..maybe I need to change the batteries too!!

You go girl, 4 lbs, DON"T change that battery!!!!
    Happy Mothers Day to all who celebrate such.
    Natalie
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome.

Am going to try to do a low carbs day today. Having had a bar of chocolate yesterday which is not exactly good for a DB but also will help to try to get at least another pound off this week .. fingers crossed!:ohwell:
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, just skimmed through 5 pages! :noway: :noway:

Just wanted to say Welcome Back Jackie :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: your hot tub party sounded fun. I've missed your posts.

:drinker: Welcome all the newcomers, you'll have to check in often, otherwise you'll get left behind like me :bigsmile: can't believe there's been so many posts since I last logged in on Friday.

:grumble: I'm cross with myself - I can't seem to keep a track of my eating, I even bought myself a little notebook to jot down food as I ate it but keep forgetting to use it. I really must start logging my food.

Congrats to all who are losing and to the rest (me included) keep on keeping on.

Sorry it's a shorty but I have taken so long catching up, I need to get to the paper shop to get the sunday papers. By the way did any of the UK members watch Britains got Talent last night? I love Michael McIntyre as a judge, he's so funny.

Well time is getting on I need to get cracking, we are busy at the moment, DH has taken up the flooring in the kitchen ready to lay some wooden flooring and we've moved some units around in the dining room - it's not easy getting rid of a sideboard and trying to fit the contents into smaller units - even though I did get rid of a lot of "rubbish" the things we keep (well things I keep:laugh: I'm such a hoarder) anyway as you can imagine we are in a bit of a state, so I need to get myself moving.

Take care everyone

Viv xx
  • eotrg
    eotrg Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have added you to the birthday list. Come back often!
    Thanks so much for the welcome! :heart: I do plan to be back every day.
    My real name is Deborah. :happy:
  • capricorn144
    capricorn144 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Happy Mother's Day!:flowerforyou:

Welcome Amy ...76 yrs young.:smile:

wishing all a wonderful day.

:heart:
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Deborah & Amy, We are happy to have you here...this is the best group of women for help and support!

Mimi: I would have caved too given the treats you were offered. Little, fresh scones would be my choice EVERY day if I could get away with it. I quit going to my favorite little coffee shop a year or so ago because I had SO much trouble not adding a nice, fresh scone to my order! Sounds like you jumped right back on track though...and that's the key, isn't it?

My roomate from college has stayed slim her whole life and her rule is this: For every splurge she has, she must go 3 entire meal cycles eating very healthily. She never counts calories or logs anything...she just allows herself an occasional treat and then follows her rule. It has kept her weight the same her whole adult life. I guess if all of us could stop at one little treat, we wouldn't be here, would we? She is very active as well, which helps too.

Sally: I hope the 4 pounds is for real! Fantastic! And I'm with Natalie...don't change the battery:laugh:

Viv: You and DH are ambitious! How wonderful it all feels though to get something like that done and to toss extra items. I know you will love the new hardwood flooring. It's my favorite anywhere.

I noticed yesterday afternoon that I now have red spots over most of my body...yikes. :noway: :noway: I did go to a friends' new house Thursday afternoon and walked through the woods to see her property, that is now very overgrown. Those of you who do not live in this part of the world won't be familiar with these, but I have DOZENS of chigger bites...on top of my spider bite. So I look a mess. I will go to the doctors tomorrow if I am still feeling so funny. I could not do my usual 3 mile walk/run...no way:huh:
    DH has been wonderful about running to the store, getting food, etc. We had Thai food last night, which I adore, but it didn't taste the way it usually does! This is NOT normal for me.:sick: :sick:

All of you who are Moms out there, have a Happy Mothers' Day! Both boys have called and I got a new Keurig Coffee maker from the older son and I think a fruit bouquet that I missed yesterday while in the shower from the younger! Both perfect gifts for me! (Wish I had that fruit right now!)

Take care, Dear Ladies:heart::heart: Kackie
  • denimangel
    denimangel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Happy Mother's Day everyone! I joined this group a couple days ago... and am still working on reading everything to get to know all of you. I did well over the weekend... didn't go over my calorie goals and have burned off lots of calories.

Mary thanks for welcoming me!! And for your words of encouragement.

I hope to be able to post every day... and get as well as give support and encouragement to all of you.

Again I hope everyone has a great Mother's Day... so far I have heard from 1 of my 5 children .. hope to hear from the rest by the end of the day.

My birthday is December 13.

Angel
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options