Options
    so what about this fat / thin?

where are all of the ugly models?
    i think ugly models are underrepresented
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »
    There is a distinction between "fat shaming" and choosing not to enable obesity by putting a positive spin on a model who is engaging in unhealthy eating habits.

Then please explain that distinction...

The statement stands on it own, I don't think some variation of spoon feeding it would be helpful.
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    There is a distinction between "fat shaming" and choosing not to enable obesity by putting a positive spin on a model who is engaging in unhealthy eating habits.

The statement stands on it own, I don't think some variation of spoon feeding it would be helpful.

....No, seriously. I'd like to know the distinction because the phrase "enabling obesity by putting a positive spin on a model who is engaging in unhealthy eating habits" doesn't really help me understand the difference between the phrase and fat shaming-it does not stand on its own to all audiences.
  • shannonbun
    shannonbun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I think it's fantastic and everyone has the right to love their body. Seeing representation of fat bodies in more mainstream media will be fantastic, in my opinion. Growing up and seeing no girls who looked like me, practically ever, did quite the damage to how I saw myself. I wish that there had been more body positivity and fat visibility when I was growing up. Body positivity is a great movement, and ultimately, why should anyone be upset if someone is happy with their body? Boo hoo, they're fat and they're happy. Everyone has the right to exist and be happy with their existence.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

....No, seriously. I'd like to know the distinction because the phrase "enabling obesity by putting a positive spin on a model who is engaging in unhealthy eating habits" doesn't really help me understand the difference between the phrase and fat shaming-it does not stand on its own to all audiences.

Fat shaming is is making someone feel ashamed because they are fat. Enabling obesity is applauding it, celebrating it, and declaring an obese person a role-model primarily because she is obese, thereby saying it is ok to remain at an unhealthy weight because Tess Munster is.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Is it skinny shaming when someone with anorexia is criticized for their eating habits? I remember a model who caused quite a bit of controversy due to her obvious eating disorder. I didn't hear anyone come to her defense and claim "skinny shaming" Both behaviors are extreme and potentially dangerous.
    I worked with a woman who was very overweight. She always said she was happy that way, and she was ready to "go" whenever it happened. Last year at 45 years old a physician told her she was not going to be around to see 50. She had gastric bypass and has since lost a lot of weight. So, obviously she was not ready to "go" and was not as happy as she said.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options

Is it skinny shaming when someone with anorexia is criticized for their eating habits? I remember a model who caused quite a bit of controversy due to her obvious eating disorder. I didn't hear anyone come to her defense and claim "skinny shaming" Both behaviors are extreme and potentially dangerous.
    I worked with a woman who was very overweight. She always said she was happy that way, and she was ready to "go" whenever it happened. Last year at 45 years old a physician told her she was not going to be around to see 50. She had gastric bypass and has since lost a lot of weight. So, obviously she was not ready to "go" and was not as happy as she said.

^^ this.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Speaking as an obese woman (who is working to change that, I should add), it sure sucks having our clothes modeled on women who are several sizes smaller. I'm all for having a model that is actually the size that the clothes are made for. Why shouldn't we have appropriate models for our clothing??
    I don't see this as "promoting" obesity at all and quite frankly I think that's ridiculous. That being said, I don't follow this woman on social media, so I don't know if maybe she does that on her own. If she does, that's a separate issue.
    Speaking only of having models of her size...I think it's about time. I want to know how an outfit is going to look on me or someone of a similar size. Not someone who technically shouldn't even be considered plus size.

While I absolutely agree that obesity isn't something that should be ignored, or promoted as being healthy, I also think that we shouldn't have to feel ashamed or walk around in tarps, or be made to feel like lesser people. Society in general is not kind to fat people.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

^^ this.

What this?

Criticizing someone with anorexia - "Eat a sandwich!", etc, may be extremely counterproductive. People with the disease already stress significantly about food and meal times - adding further pressure, shaming them further about looks or diet can further reinforce behavior. It can be triggering.

Eating disorders are complicated and not only about eating habits. The symptoms that you see around food and weight-related issues and other behavior may be related to something much deeper like depression, insecurity, OCD tendencies, pressure to be perfect, etc...

Does thin-shaming exist? - of course. But even if it didn't. The absence of the opposite of A does not negate A. C'mon - basic 7th grade logic.

Or is this because you too knew a woman that got a bypass? What has this got to do with the price of pork in china and whether other people can be happy with themselves?

• farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options

^^ this.

What this?

Criticizing someone with anorexia - "Eat a sandwich!", etc, may be extremely counterproductive. People with the disease already stress significantly about food and meal times - adding further pressure, shaming them further about looks or diet can further reinforce behavior. It can be triggering.

Eating disorders are complicated and not only about eating habits. The symptoms that you see around food and weight-related issues and other behavior may be related to something much deeper like depression, insecurity, OCD tendencies, pressure to be perfect, etc...

Does thin-shaming exist? - of course. But even if it didn't. The absence of the opposite of A does not negate A. C'mon - basic 7th grade logic.

Or is this because you too knew a woman that got a bypass? What has this got to do with the price of pork in china and whether other people can be happy with themselves?

Oh come on...You would have to be an idiot to say to someone with anorexia to "eat a sandwich" same as calling someone a "fattie" or telling them to go on a diet. Of course saying these things would cause more stress or exacerbate the situation.
    She may be very happy now with herself! Good for her, she is absolutely beautiful and is making money doing what she wants. I really dont care.
    Let me make it simple for you...the point of the story is that I am afraid ultimately she will come to regret the choices she is making but, whatever...not my mom.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    ladygi19 wrote: »
    It's all good if you don't mind panting like a hound after a flight of stairs... I don't mean to sound harsh at all and this has nothing to do with her looks or her confidence. Being a size 20 is just bad for your heart... and the notion that someone size 20 is "as healthy" as lower weight women (barring other health factors) is just not true. I am not trying to trash her by any means... I need to lose weight myself, but I am also a realist.

I was a size 20 when I started this whole thing, and I assure you that I never panted like a dog.

My sister in law was quite large when she started running. She didn't lose any weight, but she ran her first half marathon. And noone believed her... because she is quite large.

Appearances are deceptive. Never assume.

Talking about "appearance" . I was told by my colleague - "You run but you don't look like one. Runners are such skinny people"

Ignorance oozes out of people's mouth.

I probably one of these days take my colleague for a 11 mile run on a condition she returns back of her own.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Why do we insist that everyone deserves "basic dignity and respect?"

Why is this? Body ignored. Why do we enforce this belief within the societal contract?
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Why is this? Body ignored. Why do we enforce this belief within the societal contract?

Because disrespecting and demeaning your fellow human beings creates an ugly society full of bullies and the victims of bullies and most of us would prefer to live in a better society than that?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »

Because disrespecting and demeaning your fellow human beings creates an ugly society full of bullies and the victims of bullies and most of us would prefer to live in a better society than that?

Where is this utopia you speak of?
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Let me say this: I think if everyone who was cruel to vulnerable people vanished off the face of the earth, we would have peace, equality, freedom and food and medicine for all. And nobody would ever miss the a-holes.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options

ugh i know what you mean , we really should banish all men I find unappealing to the sewers

• Jolinia
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Jolinia wrote: »

Where is this utopia you speak of?

Doesn't exist. Someday, maybe. We can certainly work toward that goal instead of away from it in the meantime.

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Let me say this: I think if everyone who was cruel to vulnerable people vanished off the face of the earth, we would have peace, equality, freedom and food and medicine for all. And nobody would ever miss the a-holes.

or there would be nobody left.
  • Jolinia
    Options
    Are people really trying to use the imperfection of the human species as an excuse to treat each other like crap? Screw that!
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I can't get my cousin out of the house and to the gym/pool/for a walk because she's ashamed of her weight. I love her so much, and it hurts to know that she's feeling like this. If big girl models is a step in the direction of accepting who people are over what they look like, them I'm A-Okay with it.
This discussion has been closed.