Body Positive or Promoting an unhealthy lifestyle

Options
1151617181921»

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    memelendy wrote: »
    The only person who's health I'm concerned with is my own. As for the model in question: I've seen her on my facebook a few times, and every picture she has gets the same amount of "ew gross" and "yay awesome" kind of comments. I think she was signed because any publicity, even negative, is a money maker. I don't think the modeling industry really gives a damn about the messages they're sending out.

I don't think she's beautiful, but that doesn't mean she isn't beautiful to someone. I am absolutely certain there are a lot of people who look at me and think I am disgusting. That's fine with me. Haters gonna hate. My fiance thinks I'm sexy. I don't see it, but that's just me. This model...she doesn't represent something I understand, which I guess is okay because I don't have to get it. I've never been confident as a fat chick, and I don't think I ever will.

What's more important is that I think people don't realize that fat people deserve respect, just like anyone else. One of my friends had a girlfriend who didn't like me just because I was fat. She didn't want to know me, and she basically ignored me whenever we were in the same room. That didn't bother me. What bothered me is that she went so far as to ask my friend why he would hang out with me, like I was some kind of leper. When things started going sour in their relationship, he'd asked me for advice. She basically told him that my opinion and anything I had to say didn't matter...when I was actually trying to advise him on how to keep them together.

If that's really the reason she didn't like you and it was truly only about your weight, she sounds like a bad person. I don't think that showing a fat model is going to change her in any way. Would probably make her worse.
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    I get the impression they're just signing her up for the publicity she'll bring with the whole 'being bigger than most models' thing. Being an unhealthy weight should never be celebrated, promoted or accepted in my opinion. Sorry, but it's not right. However, people shouldn't be judged, condemned, mocked, bullied, etc over it. And they definitely should be allowed to feel confident in themselves because with that confidence they'll hopefully feel good enough to want to improve their health and for all the right reasons. It's purely a health concern for me, not a looks concern.

She should be allowed to feel exactly how she wants, but if you put yourself out there in the spotlight as she does, you are asking to be mocked. The public is not known to be kind. If she doesn't like the negative attention with the positive, she can stay out of the spotlight.

Wow dude you must be the prosecutor in the court of public opinion. Are you the same kind of person to say someone "deserves" to be sexually assaulted if they are dressed scantily? I think I've made my own opinion clear about the topic--at this point I'm just reading what every everyone else thinks, but things like saying someone is asking to be judged is just cynical and sad.
  • Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I get the impression they're just signing her up for the publicity she'll bring with the whole 'being bigger than most models' thing. Being an unhealthy weight should never be celebrated, promoted or accepted in my opinion. Sorry, but it's not right. However, people shouldn't be judged, condemned, mocked, bullied, etc over it. And they definitely should be allowed to feel confident in themselves because with that confidence they'll hopefully feel good enough to want to improve their health and for all the right reasons. It's purely a health concern for me, not a looks concern.

She should be allowed to feel exactly how she wants, but if you put yourself out there in the spotlight as she does, you are asking to be mocked. The public is not known to be kind. If she doesn't like the negative attention with the positive, she can stay out of the spotlight.

Wow dude you must be the prosecutor in the court of public opinion. Are you the same kind of person to say someone "deserves" to be sexually assaulted if they are dressed scantily? I think I've made my own opinion clear about the topic--at this point I'm jut reading what every everyone else thinks, but things like saying someone is asking to be judged is just mean.

no. I'm the same kind of person who says someone deserves to be mocked if they are dressed scantily. they don't deserve to be sexually assaulted.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

Wow dude you must be the prosecutor in the court of public opinion. Are you the same kind of person to say someone "deserves" to be sexually assaulted if they are dressed scantily? I think I've made my own opinion clear about the topic--at this point I'm jut reading what every everyone else thinks, but things like saying someone is asking to be judged is just mean.

no. I'm the same kind of person who says someone deserves to be mocked if they are dressed scantily. they don't deserve to be sexually assaulted.

why do they deserve to be mocked. why dont people just mind their business
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »
    IMO the "good" thing about a true plus size model, assuming she models clothing, is that overweight women will get a more accurate idea of what they will look like in the clothing.

Someone said in an earlier post on this thread that market surveying has shown that women don't want that -- they want to think they will look like the size 14 woman wearing the plus size clothing. I'm not really sure about that.

I'm super grateful I no longer have to buy plus size clothing, but when I did, which was most of my adult life, I tried to be realistic on how it would look on me. Seeing things worn by an extremely overweight woman would have been something I would have preferred.

I think the idea is that the market is determining through their buying habits what kind of models they want to represent them.

I see so many people claim they want realistic models to represent them, but if that were really so, if their buying habits in any way reflected what they assert that they want, then it seems to me that realistic models would be precisely what they would get.

In other words, there is no victim of the "industry" or "society" here. Plus size women are getting the models they want, and if they really do want bigger models then they probably need to express that want with their wallets where their opinion really matters.
  • Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options

i mostly do mind my own business. that was mostly a joke.

that girl is making much more of a public point of showing off her body by being in the media like this scantily dressed when she is obese. She has to know that this is going to come with a lot of negativity. She is making it everyone's business by doing this.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    WeightWars wrote: »
    Some of the comments on this thread make me weep for humanity.

We realise the question is "Should fat people be allowed a place in the median spotlight or will everyone in the world suddenly become fat too and die of heart failure if we allow it?" right?

No, more like "should fat people be allowed to glorify being fat?" Sure they can, but I can also think its gross. It isn't going to make anyone fat though. Do people actually think this?

Why does being on the cover of a magazine glorify fat anymore than being on the cover glorify handbags or short hair or septum peircings? I seriously don't get why everyone's all "won't somebody think of the children" about this but not about the fact that we allow women with very obvious disordered eating parade about like messiahs all over kids tv.

Whether you personally find her attractive or not is really not part of the point. You are one person not a dictator of sociology.
  • Therealobi1
    Options

i mostly do mind my own business. that was mostly a joke.

that girl is making much more of a public point of showing off her body by being in the media like this scantily dressed when she is obese. She has to know that this is going to come with a lot of negativity. She is making it everyone's business by doing this.

ok i understand if it was a joke, but the thing is as i said before its the name calling that causes people alot of problems.
    i just think we are in a society of all shapes sizes and colours why cant we just get used to seeing this. we dont see many black models thats normal, we see lots of underweight models thats normal. as soon as you see a larger model we get the outrage. it just needs to become normal. but what i wont agree is promoting any type of unhealthy lifestyle at any end of the scale.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

You must lots of friends with that kind of attitude. Talk about a person thinking their sh don't stink. It's funny because I get the impression that you say all this online but in person you would not have the courage to say things you say here to people. Well at least not in this city.

i doubt you say most of the nasty tings you say in person either. sure, i would say that in person though. probably not to her face. that would be rude. i wouldn't want her to sit on me and crush me in response. that might hurt.

You'd be surprised by the things I actually do say in person. I know your kind, no need to go any further.

you never met me. i am my own kind. i'm a unique snowflake.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Boganella wrote: »
    Honestly I think its gross. I also think that models who look starved are gross as well. I think both promote a delusional unhealthy lifestyle.

This is definitely a heated topic, and I commend you, OP, for posting your opinion on it. The fact of the matter is, everyone is going to have their own opinions on body type. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being self-confident, but I do think there needs to be a limit. I mean, I think it's wonderful that the woman in this article is so confident. Do I think that her weight is healthy? No. Do I find her attractive? No. Can I respect her for embracing her size instead of trying to get to a healthier size? No.

Just like Boganella stated, going to one extreme or the other is pretty unfavorable. While I don't agree with the standards that are put on women to be "fit" and "tiny" I think this is the result of trying *too hard* to "stay from the path". I mean, I'm 5 foot 6, approx 135 pounds. I'm pretty much exactly where I need to be by normal, healthy standards. But I'd like to eat healthier and work out regularly, because I'd like some tone, definition, and overall strength-- and I've been given hell for this. "Oh, you're perfect the way you are, don't change a thing"... And this is the result of that *kitten* advice-- women who are far too large to be healthy individuals (I'm sure a size 8 "Plus size" model could still be considered healthy. But this woman is a size 22, and I can just *feel* the cardiac arrest around the corner.

"Big" people get a negative light because we typically see them rolling through the grocery store on the motorized carts, breathing audibly as they stock up on Doritos and soda. THAT'S gross. THAT'S what I can confidently call disgusting. If this woman does this in her free time, then yes, I'd say she's perpetuating a disgusting lifestyle and I'm deeply saddened for her fate. However, if she's really working with a personal trainer and just trying to be comfortable with what she's working with until she can come down to a healthy size, then sure man, more power to her...

See I can confidently say, in my humble opinion, its this kind of opinion, judgement and moralising, that is disgusting. When did food and bodies become a moral battleground?

Have any of you googled Tess? She talks freely about her lifestyle. About working out, about what she does in her free time. Her body tells you nothing of her health unless you're her doctor?
  • Therealobi1
    Options

You must lots of friends with that kind of attitude. Talk about a person thinking their sh don't stink. It's funny because I get the impression that you say all this online but in person you would not have the courage to say things you say here to people. Well at least not in this city.

i doubt you say most of the nasty tings you say in person either. sure, i would say that in person though. probably not to her face. that would be rude. i wouldn't want her to sit on me and crush me in response. that might hurt.

do you not like large people
  • miketoryan
    miketoryan Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i wonder if she has any health problems. personally i hate feeling unhealthy in any way (like shortness of breath, joint pain, back pain, chest pains, whatever comes with being overweight, and these are only the physical manifestations not to mention there are other things that you can't even be aware of without doctors visits).

anyway, promoting being overweight isn't a great thing for the public. i mean, if you can be overweight and healthy then fine, if you aren't suffering everything i listed above or other health issues, more power to you, but that isn't going to be the norm, that'll be the exception.
  • Aviva92
    Options

do you not like large people

I have nothing against large people.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    Some of the comments on this thread make me weep for humanity.

We realise the question is "Should fat people be allowed a place in the median spotlight or will everyone in the world suddenly become fat too and die of heart failure if we allow it?" right?

No, more like "should fat people be allowed to glorify being fat?" Sure they can, but I can also think its gross. It isn't going to make anyone fat though. Do people actually think this?

Why does being on the cover of a magazine glorify fat anymore than being on the cover glorify handbags or short hair or septum peircings? I seriously don't get why everyone's all "won't somebody think of the children" about this but not about the fact that we allow women with very obvious disordered eating parade about like messiahs all over kids tv.

Whether you personally find her attractive or not is really not part of the point. You are one person not a dictator of sociology.

handbags on the cover probably do glorify handbags if they are showing off the handbags as they are showing off her body being practically naked. it does glorify it. i agree on it not being hurtful to children though. i think it's silly to assume that people will want to be fat after seeing her.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    memelendy wrote: »
    The only person who's health I'm concerned with is my own. As for the model in question: I've seen her on my facebook a few times, and every picture she has gets the same amount of "ew gross" and "yay awesome" kind of comments. I think she was signed because any publicity, even negative, is a money maker. I don't think the modeling industry really gives a damn about the messages they're sending out.

I don't think she's beautiful, but that doesn't mean she isn't beautiful to someone. I am absolutely certain there are a lot of people who look at me and think I am disgusting. That's fine with me. Haters gonna hate. My fiance thinks I'm sexy. I don't see it, but that's just me. This model...she doesn't represent something I understand, which I guess is okay because I don't have to get it. I've never been confident as a fat chick, and I don't think I ever will.

What's more important is that I think people don't realize that fat people deserve respect, just like anyone else. One of my friends had a girlfriend who didn't like me just because I was fat. She didn't want to know me, and she basically ignored me whenever we were in the same room. That didn't bother me. What bothered me is that she went so far as to ask my friend why he would hang out with me, like I was some kind of leper. When things started going sour in their relationship, he'd asked me for advice. She basically told him that my opinion and anything I had to say didn't matter...when I was actually trying to advise him on how to keep them together.

If that's really the reason she didn't like you and it was truly only about your weight, she sounds like a bad person. I don't think that showing a fat model is going to change her in any way. Would probably make her worse.

I was always friendly with her. I mean, if she hadn't basically said the things to my friend about my weight, I might have considered whether or not it was something else. I saw the texts she sent to him about me. After they broke up, her twin sister (who was just as much a piece of work as her) sent me a picture of a KFC bucket on a mousetrap with the title "How to catch a fat person." *shrugs* I remember being very upset about it at the time. Now I'd probably laugh and move on.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelzarrell/the-biggest-plus-size-model-to-get-a-modeling-contract-has-s#.vjZVNkOW7

I am not trying to be horrible here, I just wondered if other people had seen this article and what people thought.

*because I am sure someone will take this badly I apologise if I have inadvertently offended anyone with the title or my word choices*

*sighs* I have a lot of problems with the title of your post. Now, I'm totally saying this as someone who really is, no kidding, taking off weight and taking it off successfully. I am also saying it as a fat athlete (yes, we exist) The preemptive apology strikes me as a trifle disingenuous.

1. Being healthy is simply not a moral imperative. We don't live in bloody Erewhon, people! The idea that being healthy is always under your control and is the good and moral thing to do is self-righteously cruel. I am blessed with extraordinary health, strength and stamina. I can keep going where other people simply drop (I didn't pick marathon swimming as a sport by accident), I don't get sick when everyone else around me is, and I'm strong as hell. That doesn't mean people who are not as lucky as I am are lesser beings who need to be blamed for it. Do I put a lot of time into working out? Of course I do. That doesn't make me a better or more moral person. I simply have a somewhat masochistic hobby that quite frankly is starting to cut into my knitting and writing time (both equally moral hobbies, just sayin'.)
    2. I do not owe the world a certain visual aesthetic.
    3. The use of the word "healthy" as a code for, "conforms acceptably to current visual standards" needs to go away in any case. I HAVE a healthy lifestyle. I get plenty of sleep, I work out regularly and I have a diet better than 90% of the world. It won't automagically make me skinny enough for some media-consuming knuckle-dragger to want to bang. (Which probably a feature rather than a bug, but that's neither here nor there).
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    If I don't accept myself as I am today, today is unlikely to be a healthy day. Anyone who wants me to hate myself today can go take a flying jump into an icy pond. I might just give that person a little nudge to help them along!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    ghostbusters-boom-o.gif

4. Show Respect to All Groups and Individuals

No derogatory references to sex, gender, age, weight, body-type, disability, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation, or endorsement of violence against any person or group, even if couched in humor, will be permitted. This includes expressing stereotypes about any group or community.
This discussion has been closed.