C25K & C210K support group...

Options

Replies

• M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    i did w1d2 on thursday! its getting easier and im really enjoying it!
    thanks for the podcast suggestion too! im using running into shape!
  • Kellikat80
    Kellikat80 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm taking a break from c25k due to my ankle...I am bummed but I need it to heal. Maybe I will walk instead.
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am glad you posted this....I am going to download the c210k app and try that. I stopped the C25K program at 7 weeks but found that I was able to run a 5k in about 45 minutes. I am very happy that I started the program and I am amazed that I am at point where I can run for 45 minutes!!
  • MaryD4900
    MaryD4900 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Soo after a two week hiatus from any form of exercise (and also void of any healthy eating) I decided to get back on track tonight. Figured I should repeat week 2 since that's what I last finished off with. It seemed so easy and I wasn't tired at all when I finished so I decided to just see how long/far I could jog... I ended up going a whole extra mile without stopping! Took me 12 mins. I couldn't believe it... I haven't been able to run a mile without feeling like I was going to die since... ever. It actually felt good! And I probably could have kept going but I ran out of water and got kind of light headed. Just wanted to share- It was definitely good motivation for me to get back on track. I think I'm just going to bridge into week 3 now since that was so easy... I know I still have a long way to go, but it's nice to know I am making progress, even after only 2 real weeks of training and then 2 weeks off.

One thing I realized though is how difficult it will be for me to jog a 5k without any water... I'm used to having a bottle right there at the treadmill with me. Anyone else worried about that?
  • cowpoke06
    cowpoke06 Posts: 171
    Options
    finally doing my c25k run week 1 day 3...wanted to do it yesturday but didn't even get home till after 11 pm. boyfriend is concerned about me running at night but i can't NOT do it. I won't have time tomorrow. off I go!
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    ran my first 5k today...did it in 38 minutes...had to walk a couple times (for a minute, max) to get my heart rate down after some killer hills, but i think it was a success...my goal was completing it in under 40 minutes, so...
    i'm signing up for another one next weekend!
  • sas16
    sas16 Posts: 610
    Options
    ran my first 5k today...did it in 38 minutes...had to walk a couple times (for a minute, max) to get my heart rate down after some killer hills, but i think it was a success...my goal was completing it in under 40 minutes, so...
    Nice job! Congrats!!
  • MoLivesLuvsLifts
    MoLivesLuvsLifts Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Keep at it. I'm starting the C25K tomorrow!
  • 123nikki123
    123nikki123 Posts: 527
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm glad I found this thread. I have always loved running and I decided I would give the C25K a try! I purchased the app for my I-Phone and tomorrow will be day 1 :happy: Wish me luck!
  • bambis
    bambis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Last week I was supposed to run 30 minutes for the first time, but I could not do it, and had to stop after 15. It made me a bit depressed. Today, I ran 32 minutes without stopping! I am very proud to say that I think I am a c25k graduate... Even though I needed some extra weeks :wink:
    I think I am moving on to the one hour runner program, because I don't want to go back to running intervals.

I never thought I would say this, but I actually like running now :)
  • bambis
    Options
    And good luck to those of you just starting c25k, believe me, it works:)
  • Katrob9
    Katrob9 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the c25k tonight. :)
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Yay!!! I did it - w4 d1. I was dreading it, and during the first 5min run I wondered, for the first time, whether I really wanted to carry on with the programme, but I lowered my running speed to 5mph and pushed on, and it really wasnt too bad! I'm actually beginning to believe I might be running continuously in a few weeks!

So for all those of you just starting, or wondering why you started, keep going and you'll get there!
    Lindsay (happy and sweaty!)
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    So, here are my week three recap facts:

W3, D1: I was so scared of this run but I did a great job; however, I dropped the speed a bit too much and really didn't get the calorie burn that I was hoping for. I forgot to stop my HRM so it marked 418 BUT that was 30 minutes after my run. Avg HR was 121 and max was 171

W3, D2: I increased the speed a bit... took it back up to 5.6 and was breathing heavy but my head was not good that day neither. My average HR was 142 and my maximum HR was 176 for a calorie burn of 332

W3, D3: I decided to take it to the streets and ran to the second range of our town. I chose to take the gravel roads because it offered more cushion. The elevation was certainly not at 0 like the treadmill and it showed in my HR. My avg HR was 153 and my max was 179 for a calorie burn of 363. I should say that I saw two deer on my run and I have decided that although it is more challenging, I think that I like outdoor running more. I like the change of scenery, I like the fresh air and I like the feeling of "going somewhere" BUT I don't like that I am forced to pace myself... I have to learn that skill yet.

SO, that was my week of C25K and I am moving on to week four this week. I wonder how long it took all of you runners to see a difference in your running... am I really going to be a runner in 9 weeks? Can that happen? I hope so...
  • tammieray
    tammieray Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Week 7 Run 1 - I'm a NON-RUNNER and can now proudly say, because of C25K my husband and I both are running 25 minutes without stopping. This program builds your fitness level up so slowly, that 6 weeks passes and out of nowhere you realize you are a jogger! When we started we couldn't run 3 minutes without huffing and puffing, and now we can go the entire 25 minutes, not completely effortlessly, but pretty close! The podcasts help a lot. Having the countdown on your ipod so you don't have to watch your watch makes it easier. I'm curious what to do after we run in our first 5K on May the 28th. Are people moving on to the c210K? Any ideas or input?
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Week 7 Run 1 - I'm a NON-RUNNER and can now proudly say, because of C25K my husband and I both are running 25 minutes without stopping. This program builds your fitness level up so slowly, that 6 weeks passes and out of nowhere you realize you are a jogger! When we started we couldn't run 3 minutes without huffing and puffing, and now we can go the entire 25 minutes, not completely effortlessly, but pretty close! The podcasts help a lot. Having the countdown on your ipod so you don't have to watch your watch makes it easier. I'm curious what to do after we run in our first 5K on May the 28th. Are people moving on to the c210K? Any ideas or input?

Good job! You wouldn't move on to c210k (it's the same as c25k only it's a 13 week program shooting for a 10k - but still starting at couch).

There's a bunch of options depending on what you like (intervals vs. running without stopping):

Bridge to 10k (intervals) and One Hour Runner (straight runs) are two options.

If you have an iphone, there are TONS of apps that can help train you all the way up to a marathon.
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options

Great job!!! And a fantastic time! So proud of you, you worked really hard for that!
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    Last week I was supposed to run 30 minutes for the first time, but I could not do it, and had to stop after 15. It made me a bit depressed. Today, I ran 32 minutes without stopping! I am very proud to say that I think I am a c25k graduate... Even though I needed some extra weeks :wink:
    I think I am moving on to the one hour runner program, because I don't want to go back to running intervals.

I never thought I would say this, but I actually like running now :)

What is the one hour runner program? when i ran my 5k, i found that i COULD run for 30 minutes, which the program prepared for me...but those extra 8 minutes it took me to run the last 3/4 mile were really hard...
  • bambis
    Options
    http://www.kathrineswitzer.com/fitness_run.html

I have not started the program, but I will :smile:

I also needed a couple of extra minutes to do the 5k, but I will use the three first weeks of the One Hour Runner to work on my speed :)

And even though you needed some extra minutes as well, it sounds like you were able to do it? Congratulations! :happy:
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I often wonder if my posts are visible to others or are they really as invisible as they seem?

Anyway, I guess that I could seek advice elsewhere...

:S