• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    jkwolly wrote: »
    ErikThaRed wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    gwensoul wrote: »
    Almost everyone has spilled a drink on themselves at some point or another.
    right- so why should you get paid a boat load of money for doing something that everyone does and it's considered something stupid.
    -
    Also- we ALL know- those thin cups- if you squeeze them hard- with no lid- they collapse- and coffee spills out.

IT WAS BETWEEN HER LEGS.

no.sympathy.

I feel like that's an instant- no duh.

Just because you and I know that doesn't mean that all people know that. Honestly, they need to warn people. I don't agree with frivolous law suits like the OP, but for things that have the potential to cause injury, they need to put a warning on it.
    Warn people to not put hot liquids between their legs?

Holy effin spoon feeding, grab some balls and be responsible.

This reminds me of those warning labels on strollers that say, "remove child before folding."

That makes me sad people had to be reminded to remove their child before folding...Like that just made my head hurt :(

Because hairdryers in the shower is a good time saver?

I read that as hairdressers.

Seemed reasonable.
  • dbmata
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    With enough bacon fat, you can make even mashed cauliflower taste good.

I...I want to believe...

It is true. Did it recently with my hoisin and sriracha cured bacon. Made some slices of that up millionaire style, there was roasted brussels sprouts and cauliflower on hand. They got a good dosing...
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I'm finding it hilarious about the number of people defending the coffee woman about the water being "superheated."

Does anyone realize that coffee NEEDS to be brewed at 80-95C (176-203F) for it to brew properly? Water at 60C would burn skin in 2 seconds. At 70C, less than a second. At 80C, you're talking second degree burns in less than a second.

Don't even get me started on tea, which NEEDS to be brewed at boiling (water doesn't get any hotter outside of a compressed environment) for most herbal teas, otherwise you don't get the full flavour.

Are you all saying that you want your coffee and tea from restaurants to taste bad, or do you want them to brew it and wait 10 minutes before giving it to you, so it can cool down to a point where it won't burn you??

You all need to grow up and get some common sense.

I don't think you've read the court case... or you would know that the coffee was brewed at about double that temperature. ABOVE boiling, I might add. Significantly above boiling. Not only was it brewed at an insane temp, it was mandated in corporate policy to be MAINTAINED at that temperature. So yes, she should have won that case and she DID win that case.
    Are you saying the water was between 356 and 406f?

chivalryrider - green tea is best at 180f. ;) I swear this, I have experimented!

EDIT - nope I'm not right. It was 190F. 140F would cause severeburns in your mouth and throat and is not fit for human consumption. Either way, definitely not the old woman's fault. It shouldn't be served that.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options

I...I want to believe...

It is true. Did it recently with my hoisin and sriracha cured bacon. Made some slices of that up millionaire style, there was roasted brussels sprouts and cauliflower on hand. They got a good dosing...

Bacon and bacon fat always go well with garlic and Brussels sprouts. Yum! A touch of apple cider vinegar and I won't show restraint.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I'm finding it hilarious about the number of people defending the coffee woman about the water being "superheated."

Does anyone realize that coffee NEEDS to be brewed at 80-95C (176-203F) for it to brew properly? Water at 60C would burn skin in 2 seconds. At 70C, less than a second. At 80C, you're talking second degree burns in less than a second.

Don't even get me started on tea, which NEEDS to be brewed at boiling (water doesn't get any hotter outside of a compressed environment) for most herbal teas, otherwise you don't get the full flavour.

Are you all saying that you want your coffee and tea from restaurants to taste bad, or do you want them to brew it and wait 10 minutes before giving it to you, so it can cool down to a point where it won't burn you??

I don't think you've read the court case... or you would know that the coffee was brewed at about double that temperature. ABOVE boiling, I might add. Significantly above boiling. Not only was it brewed at an insane temp, it was mandated in corporate policy to be MAINTAINED at that temperature. So yes, she should have won that case and she DID win that case.

chivalryrider - green tea is best at 180f. ;) I swear this, I have experimented!

I think it was!

EDIT - nope I'm not right. It was 190F. 140F would cause 3rd degree burns in your mouth and throat and is not fit for human consumption. Either way, definitely not the old woman's fault. It shouldn't be served that.

Water turns into a gas state at 212F at sea level. 406F water is not a possibility in the normal world.

BTW, we all know coffee is hot, like we all know that a steaming bowl of soup is hot. We also know there is implied risk in most if not all actions.

Right now I have a cup of hot coffee sitting next to my laptop, which if I spill it will destroy my computer. Let's not even discuss what it would do to my legs, since I'm just wearing chonies. (My office, my rules.)
  • VeryKatie
    Options

I think it was!

EDIT - nope I'm not right. It was 190F. 140F would cause 3rd degree burns in your mouth and throat and is not fit for human consumption. Either way, definitely not the old woman's fault. It shouldn't be served that.

Water turns into a gas state at 212F at sea level. 406F water is not a possibility in the normal world.

BTW, we all know coffee is hot, like we all know that a steaming bowl of soup is hot. We also know there is implied risk in most if not all actions.

Right now I have a cup of hot coffee sitting next to my laptop, which if I spill it will destroy my computer. Let's not even discuss what it would do to my legs, since I'm just wearing chonies. (My office, my rules.)

Haha sure, but it's not that hot. It's really not their brewing temp that was a problem, but their holding temp was.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    The McDonald's case was fair. No, it isn't smart to drive with coffee between your legs, but it isn't appropriate to use superheated water, which takes the coffee to an unsafe temperature.

That's what McDonald's got pinged for, not an isolated incident of someone being a dumbass, but for a failure of duty of care.

She wasn't driving. Common misconception. This was an older lady in the passanger seat and the car was parked while she took off the lid to put in suger and cream.

omg- and she sued because she spilled it while sitting in a none moving car??

I can't even.

She sued because the coffee was so hot that it didn't just scald her, it essentially melted the skin off her lady bits. Her initial claim was to cover her medical expenses, which included a skin graft. (If she had drunk the coffee instead of spilling it, it would have been her face). The initial mcDs response included some rather offensive comments that "she was too old to need that area any more, anyway," and basically the award got amplified with punitive damages by the jury, an *kitten* Tax, if you will.
  • dbmata
    Options

I think it was!

Haha sure, but it's not that hot. It's really not their brewing temp that was a problem, but their holding temp was.

Since I like to brew at 190F, and hold for 4 minutes in a range between 185 and 190F, I have my temp gauge right here.

173F. That's hot. I know not to drink it right now. :)
  • VeryKatie
    Options

I think it was!

Since I like to brew at 190F, and hold for 4 minutes in a range between 185 and 190F, I have my temp gauge right here.

The old lady wouldn't have had a temperature gauge with her though. ;)
  • dbmata
    Options

I think it was!

The old lady wouldn't have had a temperature gauge with her though. ;)

.... and? You touch something, the outside of it is hot. So the smartest thing to do is stick it between your legs and squeeze? She's old, she probably has learned more lessons about don't eff with hot stuff than I have.

I do stupid stuff all the time, but I've never done that.
  • dbmata
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    The McDonald's case was fair. No, it isn't smart to drive with coffee between your legs, but it isn't appropriate to use superheated water, which takes the coffee to an unsafe temperature.

That's what McDonald's got pinged for, not an isolated incident of someone being a dumbass, but for a failure of duty of care.

She wasn't driving. Common misconception. This was an older lady in the passanger seat and the car was parked while she took off the lid to put in suger and cream.

omg- and she sued because she spilled it while sitting in a none moving car??

I can't even.

She sued because the coffee was so hot that it didn't just scald her, it essentially melted the skin off her lady bits. Her initial claim was to cover her medical expenses, which included a skin graft. (If she had drunk the coffee instead of spilling it, it would have been her face). The initial mcDs response included some rather offensive comments that "she was too old to need that area any more, anyway," and basically the award got amplified with punitive damages by the jury, an *kitten* Tax, if you will.
    that tax is important, imo. :)

Totally deserved that any company gets slapped with that for being a-holes.
  • dbmata
    Options

I...I want to believe...

Bacon and bacon fat always go well with garlic and Brussels sprouts. Yum! A touch of apple cider vinegar and I won't show restraint.
    Just use my GF bacon. I'm sure hoisin isn't gf...
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Wish I had time to read all 11 pages of this but I get a sense of where this thread is going. LOL! This is absolutely ridiculous it's amazing what lawyers will agree to do. I don't know for sure because I'm not of the 1% that has Celiacs or the 10% that have Gluten Allergy assuming that research even proves that it exists, but I have to assume that GF foods are more expensive and such food for a restaurant to provide would cost more money.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Wish I had time to read all 11 pages of this but I get a sense of where this thread is going. LOL! This is absolutely ridiculous it's amazing what lawyers will agree to do. I don't know for sure because I'm not of the 1% that has Celiacs or the 10% that have Gluten Allergy assuming that research even proves that it exists, but I have to assume that GF foods are more expensive and such food for a restaurant to provide would cost more money.
    Just walk away. You don't want no part of those other pages, just jump in here and you've missed nothing. lol.
  • NJGamerChick
    Options

I...I want to believe...

They make GF hoisin. I would gladly pay for ingredients to make tasty gf bacon, too. Though I am fortunate enough to not be diagnosed Celiac (yet), just gluten sensitive. Working with the doctor to figure out other issues before we delve into that can of worms. Either way, Celiac and Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity (NCGS) have the same treatment, stay away from the same gluten grains.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Furthermore, during the trial, when McD rep was asked if the had had prior complaints, not only did they admit to hundreds of general multi-store complaints, but over 70 complaints at that location and they also admitted that they had done nothing to address the complaints.

• dbmata
    Options

I...I want to believe...

They make GF hoisin. I would gladly pay for ingredients to make tasty gf bacon, too. Though I am fortunate enough to not be diagnosed Celiac (yet), just gluten sensitive. Working with the doctor to figure out other issues before we delve into that can of worms. Either way, Celiac and Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity (NCGS) have the same treatment, stay away from the same gluten grains.
    I bought lee kum kee for hoisin, if it's gf, I'll eat my shoe.

I should look for gf versions though. No reason for an additive like that in my pristine bacon.
  • NJGamerChick
    edited February 2015
    Options

I...I want to believe...

I bought lee kum kee for hoisin, if it's gf, I'll eat my shoe.

I should look for gf versions though. No reason for an additive like that in my pristine bacon.

According to their site, it is GF. I hope your shoe is tasty. J/K. But they do claim to have one.

Now, there is one thing about GF that is controversial, which is the distillation and fermentability of gluten. Distillation in things such as vodka, for example, still causes reactions in those who are extremely sensitive, and since these products aren't tested because it's an unregulated (by the FDA) area, they can claim this phenomena. Same with fermented things like soy sauce, which, in truth, should be solely made from soy (kind of like oyster sauce is made from fish). All soy sauces I have seen labelled as GF have no wheat listed in the ingredients, unlike the typical soy sauce.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I believe it's uh... tamari that traditionally does not include wheat in the process, so is "safe". All of my tamari at home does carry a GF logo though.
  • NJGamerChick
    Options
    I believe it's uh... tamari that traditionally does not include wheat in the process, so is "safe". All of my tamari at home does carry a GF logo though.

Yes, Tamari is the style, but the label from Kikkoman doesn't state it is Tamari on the front label. This GF stuff, it's maddening I tell you!