If the av person should eat 2000, then why can I only eat 1650 to maintain? Bummer!!

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    1890dawn wrote: »
    what no one will say is that the reason the numbers don't make sense is that the science is obviously flawed. I have to stay under 1,600 to maintain, under 1,400 to lose, and it has been that way since I was a young active teen. We all accept that there are skinny people that eat as much as they want and never gain (one is my mother-in-law, I've seen her do it), so it is intellectually dishonest to say that the same cannot be true in reverse for heavy people. The BMI charts are also very flawed. At the weight at which I look amazing in a bathing suit, I am still considered "obese" on the charts.

Most people here don't really accept that. Or rather, they would argue that a person who appears to do this is still eating around their maintenance and is either very active (thus having a higher TDEE) or isn't eating as much as it seems they are. Some may eat one huge meal and then not have an appetite for a next couple of days, or similar. There is a range of metabolism, of course, but I don't think it's as large as people think it is. Most differences in TDEE can be explained by differences in size and activity level.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    I maintain at about 2350 calories a day.
    ...but I do bust out 5m runs whenever the weather permits. and I lunk about with weights. ;)
    << will run for cupcakes.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    what no one will say is that the reason the numbers don't make sense is that the science is obviously flawed. I have to stay under 1,600 to maintain, under 1,400 to lose, and it has been that way since I was a young active teen. We all accept that there are skinny people that eat as much as they want and never gain (one is my mother-in-law, I've seen her do it), so it is intellectually dishonest to say that the same cannot be true in reverse for heavy people. The BMI charts are also very flawed. At the weight at which I look amazing in a bathing suit, I am still considered "obese" on the charts.

Most people here don't really accept that. Or rather, they would argue that a person who appears to do this is still eating around their maintenance and is either very active (thus having a higher TDEE) or isn't eating as much as it seems they are. Some may eat one huge meal and then not have an appetite for a next couple of days, or similar. There is a range of metabolism, of course, but I don't think it's as large as people think it is. Most differences in TDEE can be explained by differences in size and activity level.
    I would consider myself to be one of those people that 1890dawn is talking about. Based on my activity level and what my TDEE should be based off that, I have reason to believe my BMR is at least 50 calories over what most calculators would suggest for my stats. I think over time the implications of this can become significant. In theory, an extra 50 calories a day for a couple years would translate to a 10 pound weight gain. I realize that I am simply eating at maintenance, but my overall TDEE is high enough (without a very active lifestyle) that I simply can eat whatever I want (in accordance with my appetite) and not gain weight.

• ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    I know it is probably little consolation but look at it this way: You body is so efficient that it needs less intake to perform it's daily tasks than others need. From an evolutionary standpoint, your body = superior.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    [/quote]

It is not nonsence research for yourself :*[/quote]

Actually, it is nonsense. It makes absolutely no sense.[/quote]

I thought maybe she meant non science....lol.

• TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    [/quote]
    Mmm OK :D Continue to eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, spend 2 h in the gym and tell yourself that you are doing good job (y)
    [/quote]

Actually, I generally do have bacons and eggs every morning, thank you very much. I've also lost 50+ pounds while doing and completed a Half Ironman triathlon.

As for your research, I think you need to do some more and listen to many of the folks on this site who have been around for awhile. Just because someone posted it in a website or in some magazine, does not make it scientifically sound research.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

I would consider myself to be one of those people that 1890dawn is talking about. Based on my activity level and what my TDEE should be based off that, I have reason to believe my BMR is at least 50 calories over what most calculators would suggest for my stats. I think over time the implications of this can become significant. In theory, an extra 50 calories a day for a couple years would translate to a 10 pound weight gain. I realize that I am simply eating at maintenance, but my overall TDEE is high enough (without a very active lifestyle) that I simply can eat whatever I want (in accordance with my appetite) and not gain weight.

That just means that your hunger signals are in line with your caloric needs. This is also greatly helped by the fact that you focus on nutrient dense foods. If you ate more calorie dense foods (many of which would not be as satiating) until you were full, chances are you would exceed your calorie goal.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    I can easily maintain on 2000 cals/ day if not still slowly drop weight. I lift heavy and do cardio throughout the week though. It all depends on your lifestyle and body size.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    auddii wrote: »

That just means that your hunger signals are in line with your caloric needs. This is also greatly helped by the fact that you focus on nutrient dense foods. If you ate more calorie dense foods (many of which would not be as satiating) until you were full, chances are you would exceed your calorie goal.

Yep.

And for every person who has a legit higher BMR, there are people like me who get accused of being one of those people who can eat whatever all the time. It's patently false for me. Even people who know I count calories (like my MiL) will tell me I'm just one of those naturally skinny people who can eat whatever I want. It's like she's forgotten the part where I used to be almost 50 lbs heavier, or the fact that I count every calorie. People who say that to me just see me baking a lot of desserts, loading up on ice cream at the grocery store, or not skimping on the bread when we go out to eat. They don't see the part where I'm up at 4:45 in the morning to workout, weighing my food so I don't go over, and making my meals at home 95% of the time.
  • I was saposto only have 1200 a day. at first it was hard & some days still is to get that many in but I am doing better.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

It is not nonsence research for yourself :*

Actually, it is nonsense. It makes absolutely no sense.

I thought maybe she meant non science....lol.

Well, she would be correct in that case :smiley:
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    I'd be in hog heaven if I could eat 2000 calories lol. Got my metabolism tested. My maintenance is supposedly 1440 unless I work out very hard then add those calories. At my size/age if I bust my butt in the gym for at least an hour, I can get another 250 calories out of it. Which I do every other day. I eat a LOT of eggs. Good protein, versatile and delicious. I seldom eat bacon because I have a cholesterol problem and must take statins. I let myself buy a pack of bacon like every 3 months or so, then hubby and I cook it up and nom it down like little gluttons lol. It's a special treat for us.

I still have a few more pounds left to get under 120 by a bit so that I have some slack and can have room for water weight without my clothes being pinchy. So I'm still eating 1200 and man is it slow!!! But today's workout day so I can have an extra little something. Probably a big sweet potato with cinnamon on it. Those things are oddly satisfying.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    I'm not sure what my tdee is. After I finished losing weight, I stopped tracking. I'm trying to track again in order to figure it out. I'm guessing around 1,800 though and I'm 40 which is close to the o.p.'s age and 104 pounds. I think walking to and from work for 5 miles a day is helping to up it quite a bit.
  • Aviva92
    edited February 2015
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I'd be in hog heaven if I could eat 2000 calories lol. Got my metabolism tested. My maintenance is supposedly 1440 unless I work out very hard then add those calories. At my size/age if I bust my butt in the gym for at least an hour, I can get another 250 calories out of it. Which I do every other day. I eat a LOT of eggs. Good protein, versatile and delicious. I seldom eat bacon because I have a cholesterol problem and must take statins. I let myself buy a pack of bacon like every 3 months or so, then hubby and I cook it up and nom it down like little gluttons lol. It's a special treat for us.

I still have a few more pounds left to get under 120 by a bit so that I have some slack and can have room for water weight without my clothes being pinchy. So I'm still eating 1200 and man is it slow!!! But today's workout day so I can have an extra little something. Probably a big sweet potato with cinnamon on it. Those things are oddly satisfying.

you can get your metabolism tested to get an exact number? How do they do this? Is it considered accurate?

mfp gives me 1,440, but I think that's if I barely move. Since I walk a lot during the week and run on weekends, it's higher. I was just going to go by trial and error though to get an exact number.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

Did they tell you maintenance or basal metabolic rate/resting metabolic rate? I have not seen tests that provide information on total energy expenditure (what maintenance level is). Usually it's either BMR or RMR, and then you need to do calculations factoring in your activity level to determine your maintenance.
  • Aviva92
    edited February 2015

Did they tell you maintenance or basal metabolic rate/resting metabolic rate? I have not seen tests that provide information on total energy expenditure (what maintenance level is). Usually it's either BMR or RMR, and then you need to do calculations factoring in your activity level to determine your maintenance.

oh yeah, I don't see how they could possibly give you TDEE. That's so highly dependent on activity level. I'd imagine the 1,440 number she was given was based on being sedentary if it was said to be TDEE.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member

True, but then others were just telling me a couple days ago in another thread that they piled on weight from eating a lot of the same foods I eat (lots of home cooked meals).

• tinallen863
    tinallen863 Posts: 50 Member
    I'm a 52 yr old female 5' 1", 114 lbs. If I go over 1200 calories I gain weight.