Unexpected results of weight loss

Options

Replies

• waldo11690
    waldo11690 Posts: 51 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm not done yet and it's surprising how light I might have to get to get that ripped look. I'm 5'8" - 5'9" and not even 150lbs anymore (149lbs at this time) and I feel like I have a decent amount of muscle. Most of my body fat seems to be in my midsection/lower back. Although I feel like I am strong and can push some weights around, I don't like the idea that I may be losing some muscle or not have as much as I thought during this cutting phase. I weight train at least 4 days a week and do HIIT cardio (sprints). I eat about 1885 calories/day and make sure to get plenty of protein (40p/40c/20f). I take a Whey protein supplement to help. I want to get lean so I can then begin a clean bulk properly and build more muscle, I just don't want to look weak/too small if I obtain the ripped look. And I'm not sure I like the idea of being so light, but I have to lose more body fat for my abs to show and to lose the lower back fat. It's really starting to negatively mess with my head. Has anyone else been in this boat?
  • HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Yup, I went from 100+ to 75 kilos and get the skeleton comments from people around me pretty often. My wife won't let me go lower :blush: Even now I still have some fat around my belly (hopefully some of it is excess skin too), after some months of maintaining I'm currently attempting recomp/very slow bulk - still eating maintenance calories and not logging the protein powder on training days (about 100 cals in my case). After a month or so I already feel some changes, also gained a kilo while maintained BF% so it's probably lean mass.

As for Your main question - yes, it sucks to take the comments and to feel so fragile, but I take it only as a stepping stone to an even fitter me. Bear with it, it's only temporary.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Ooci, I didn't know that about anaemia and weight loss. I get anaemic all the time and take iron supplements every day. the thought of it disappearing is a masisve incentive. Thanks for sharing that!
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    leg-crossing is a pleasure, wearing 32 in waist jeans is a miracle.
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Trying new recipes and savoring the taste of the food that isn't full of fat and sodium. You can actually taste the food and not the yuck. Delicious!
  • Tim_CNY
    Tim_CNY Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This may seem personal but I'm an open book. At 266lbs I had a physical and at 29 years old my testosterone level was down to a 105 level. The range is 0-1000 with the average around 500. 300 is considered low and 105 is terrible. Instead of giving me testosterone treatment, my doctor challenged me to lose 30lbs. I've completed that and my level is now 350 and increasing. I was skeptical that weight gain was the contributing factor but that was due to denial. I'm on my way to losing another 30lbs. I feel better than I have in a long time.

Mine was at 350 (which is too borderline low in my mind for a 33 yr old guy) when I weighed 280 lbs. I had it checked again when I was at 220lbs and it was up to 575, and I'm hoping it's back up to a more average 700 now. Replacement therapies scare me far too much to try.
  • shanlivestrong
    shanlivestrong Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Still on my journey but my rings won't stay on my fingers. I love tucking in my shirt in now. I go without a 'cover up' now because I no longer feel bloated. And I just feel better about myself. I love me again because I know I'm doing something to benefit my health.
    I look forward to summers. I've hated summers for so long because I hated the way I looked in shorts, skirts and tank tops. I would cover up as much as possible but only ended up extremely hot and appearing insane. This summer is going to be one to remember.
    Thanks for the thread! Good job everyone!
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

I don't know if this has been posted yet or not, but I've noticed within the past month that I'm not able to eat the same amount of volume that I could at my highest weight. Granted, I have learned to eat high quantity/low cal items more (veggies, especially), but I find myself struggling to finish a small filet of fish, rice and veggies when before I could have easily eaten a whole pizza :|

I HAVE noticed this!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    You know how people have said they still 'see' a bigger person in the mirror? So weird but the other day I was about to go up my stairs with some heavy groceries and in my head it was going to be just as hard as it would have been 6 months ago.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Wife told me a few days ago that I hardly snore now - and that very softly, instead of my usual imitation of a freight train every night.
  • Bekk927
    Bekk927 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I hadn't really connected a lot of these things to weight loss until reading this thread (shoe size, cold etc. )

One not so great side effect for me has been hair loss, I'm not sure why but when I started to lose weight I started losing hair volume too.. weird I know
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Clothes, I really like clothes. I used to hide in baggy pants and t-shirts. I got rid of them all! Love this thread. Also, one drink gets me loopy, cheap date, lol.
  • emilyrigh
    emilyrigh Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The cuts in my arms, legs, and stomach from muscle gain. I'll catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror when I'm working out and I see the muscle I'm using. It's an awesome feeling.
  • Jonealex63
    Jonealex63 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was surprised to find that clothes came in other colors than black, navy, and brown LOL.
    you don't
    shell6469 wrote: »
    I'm going to take a peek at this thread everyday to remind myself why I'm on my journey and not to give up. Thank you to everyone for sharing.

Same!! I read last night...this morning ...and here I am again! It's so motivating!
  • altogirl2
    altogirl2 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I sing in a concert choir and we wear formals for concerts. I have a beautiful one that has been way too small so it's been hanging in my closet for at least three years. I just tried it on and it fits!! It slides right over my hips! BUT another 10-20 lbs and it will be too big, so I may not have a chance to wear it.
  • altogirl2
    altogirl2 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    albalegume wrote: »
    Not having to flip the mattress around every month to get rid of that big dent in it. ....because I don't make a dent anymore. Seeing my waist again. Seeing belly sack disappearing, Being able to look at my reflection in glass windows. Buying clothes because I like them and not because thank god it fits, it's ugly but it fits. 40 more pounds to go and I'm ok with it!

Yes, to the mattress, LOL!

• scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Chub rub is the worst! I'm glad that's over with and also, being able to buy clothes that I like and I like the way they fit. I can wear midriff bearing shirts for the first time since high school. It's so nice.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!