Online Dating

Options

Replies

• Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

I'm glad you weren't defending fibbing. Yes, there's plenty of fibbing and lying going on in the dating world. Too bad. Socializing should be fun, not a chore.

About pics. I wasn't aware that people were so sneaky with them. I attempted to online date only twice in the late 90s. I flaked on the first guy and the second guy flaked on me.

I wonder what would happen if a dating profile didn't include a pic at all? I think someone earlier in this thread mentioned she didn't include one in her description and still got a lot of responses anyway.

I would be willing to meet someone in person after a phone chat, not knowing what they look like. The sound of the voice and the way someone talks tells a lot more than a pic imo.

I think it's important to meet in person. I don't understand the extreme hesitancy around it now. I'm beginning to think people really would rather screw around on the internet and waste time texting, rather than take the risk of meeting face to face. If two people met and one of the two found the other physically unattractive, a polite decline to accept a second date wouldn't be such a big deal. Or would it?

I TOTALLY agree!! I'm not looking for a pen pal here! I'd like to actually meet someone! There are exceptions, like right now Im getting to know a guy who is out of the country for the moment, but if a guy is *right here* and cant find the time or guts to meet, I lose interest.

I would not meet someone who didnt put a photo up though. Not only is attraction important to me, more than that I worry they have something to hide...like they dont want a friend or family member to see them and tell their wife they are on a dating site. Im cynical though because I'm some sort of magnet for married men...so I run at the first sign of someone looking like they have something to hide.

I did once make an exception for a guy who messaged me, and included a photo of him. he said he didnt want to make his face public because he didnt want anyone in his company to know he was on a dating site, wanted to be professional and keep his personal life private blah blah. He seemed genuine...and we met, and guess what? Yeah..he was married. Never again lol
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    moya_bleh wrote: »

PS - I AM 5ft 8ins. That's undateably short and no amount of embellishment is going to change that!!! :neutral_face:

I hope that's sarcasm, I've dated mostly 5'5" - 5'8" guys :o
  • MoriahJN
    MoriahJN Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    I tried one for a couple days just as an experiment. (I'm not into online dating but I wondered what it was like) The main thing I learned was that age is not a factor, apparently. And I still feel like a kid, but there was a large number of guys in their 30s interested in me. That surprised me. Also, maybe because I was only there a few days, everyone was super nice and no one said anything dirty or weird. Maybe if you want to do the online dating route, it's not ALWAYS bad! :)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Belle8312 wrote: »
    So anyone have any online dating Valentine's Day horror stories? Considering how much I despise this holiday, I think it would be funny to hear some. :smiley:
    It snowed so plans were cancel. To answer your tinder being a hook up site. Your answer is yes it is which sucks for me a little. I like the girl but lets see where it takes us. I do get to have my cake and eat it too :lol: so can I really complain.

• Markdjones83
    Markdjones83 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I'm going to attempt to take a break lol
  • Belle8312
    Belle8312 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I have a good one that just happened last week. So I am prior military, and work on a military base as a contractor. So I am on OKC and this guy messages me, tells me thank you for your service, etc. He tells me he is active duty military and stationed on the same base that I work at and I get completely excited (hey, what can I say, I have a thing for a man in uniform. :wink: ). So we start messaging back and forth for a few days getting to know each other and I ask him what brought him to OKC. His response, and I quote (because I still have it):
    "Well, I am PCSing (for those of you who don't know what that means, it means he's moving to a new base somewhere, new town, state, or country) in a few months so I am not looking to really start a relationship with someone, but someone maybe I can have some fun with until I leave. So I am a single father of a special needs child and that's another reason why I don't really want to get into a relationship since I don't want him to get attached to anyone before we leave. So basically, I am really just looking for some fun, some adult (naked :wink:) fun I can have. Now I can only do this during the day, and can't do it at my house since my son is there with his nurse since he can't go to school. Oh and I have a latex allergy so I can't just have some safe, clean fun with anyone. But I know that since you told me you are prior military, you are safe and clean and wouldn't have a problem having sex without a condom." End of message.

My jaw seriously dropped to the floor after reading that. So, my response (yes, I replied):

Well I understand not wanting to get into a relationship with someone before leaving in a few months, that does make sense. Especially with a child that you don't want him getting attached to anyone. But let me just say, first of all, based on where you work, how can you only have "fun" during the day when your job is a day shift only operation? I was active duty military on this base and I know the place where you work is literally only open from 7 am - 5 pm...no night shift operations at all. I know you're leaving in a few months, but you should still have to work before you leave...you again, must have forgotten that I am prior military, so I know the processes of getting ready to PCS. Second of all, you should know that condoms are not just made of latex. They are made with quite a few different types of material so those of you that have latex allergies can still use condoms, just a different kind. Considering where you work (he works in the medical career field) I would think you would know that type of thing. Third of all, I would NEVER have "safe, clean fun" without a condom. That's an oxymoron. And speaking or moron, you seriously thought the response you would get by me would be yay, let's have sex? Um, negative. Good luck though, I'm sure you can find some naïve girl that will love your story that you will be able to sleep with before you leave.

P.S. You're better off looking for a civilian off base who has no idea what and how military operations work...that way when you're trying to lie, you won't get caught. :smiley:

P.P.S I would love to hear how many girls fall for the latex allergy line.
  • Belle8312
    Options
    RandomA1 wrote: »
    LuvPosh wrote: »
    All of them, it usually starts with arriving and a male has yet again over estimated their height!

One of my big pet peeves since I'm pretty tall as it is. Now, I just assume that they're 2 inches shorter than they listed and I'm usually right lol! Though the last guy I dated had a height listed that was about 1-2 inches shorter than his actual height.

If women can knock 3-5 years off their age and 50lbs off their weight, then nobody can be surprised if men eventually start telling the same lies about their physical attributes. Your assumption is probably accurate as I've noticed that most women are 3 years older and about 20lbs heavier than they claim in their profiles.

Internet liars everywhere!

PS - I AM 5ft 8ins. That's undateably short and no amount of embellishment is going to change that!!! :neutral_face:

Anything over 5'7" is perfect for me! :wink:
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    All of them, it usually starts with arriving and a male has yet again over estimated their height!

One of my big pet peeves since I'm pretty tall as it is. Now, I just assume that they're 2 inches shorter than they listed and I'm usually right lol! Though the last guy I dated had a height listed that was about 1-2 inches shorter than his actual height.

If women can knock 3-5 years off their age and 50lbs off their weight, then nobody can be surprised if men eventually start telling the same lies about their physical attributes. Your assumption is probably accurate as I've noticed that most women are 3 years older and about 20lbs heavier than they claim in their profiles.

Damnit! I'm only 5'7", not over! Well, that and being married kind of ruins my perfection.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    This one time... when I was newly single...I signed up for Plenty Of Fish. I met a guy online, we talked often, hit it off via text and phone, so we decided to meet for dinner. I should have known then that something was off...I paid for dinner and the tip AND we ended up going to a movie, which I also paid for. I stayed in town overnight but not with him, and he asked me to meet him for lunch the next day. We went to Wendy's and ate dollar menu items, which was fine, I am not a gold digger.... THEN while eating at a picnic table, he smiles sweetly and says he has a question for me..."do you like oral, because I am really hungry and Wendy didn't fill me up".

REALLY?

LOL some men.

I_just_don_t_know_what_went_wrong_derpy_wallpaper_by_rhubarb_leaf-d4opp0h.png
  • Belle8312
    Options
    jnichel wrote: »

Damnit! I'm only 5'7", not over! Well, that and being married kind of ruins my perfection.

Okay, 5'7" and over. :wink:
  • Markdjones83
    Markdjones83 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Jesus some of the stuff guys send and think women will buy is amazing hahaha.
  • jnichel
    Options

Goody. Now, if we can just look past the married part, I'll pick you up at 8 for dinner and a movie. You're buying right?

• wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I just got a message from a guy telling me he squatted 1400 lbs. once. I said "pics or it didn't happen."
  • Belle8312
    Options

Goody. Now, if we can just look past the married part, I'll pick you up at 8 for dinner and a movie. You're buying right?

Dollar menu at McDonalds!
  • jnichel
    Options

Can we make it Wendy's instead? There is a cute woman working the counter there that I'd like to ogle while you're talking.
  • Fittykitty11
    Options
    I have always found that I attracted much older men online or guys much younger than I am.. never really MY age. Looking back I should have been a sugar baby (KIDDING) or sugar momma (too poor for that back then).

Worst date? The guy kept telling me how much shorter I looked in photos. And that was ALL he would say. Super quiet and awkward date.
  • Belle8312
    Options
    I have always found that I attracted much older men online or guys much younger than I am.. never really MY age. Looking back I should have been a sugar baby (KIDDING) or sugar momma (too poor for that back then).

Worst date? The guy kept telling me how much shorter I looked in photos. And that was ALL he would say. Super quiet and awkward date.

I always attract a lot younger guys....hardly anyone in my age range contacts me.
  • Fittykitty11
    Options

I always attract a lot younger guys....hardly anyone in my age range contacts me.

I'm unsure the mindset or intention but it's crazy isn't it?

One kid messaged me when I was 27 and he was a SENIOR IN HIGH SCHOOL!

• Belle8312
    Options

I'm unsure the mindset or intention but it's crazy isn't it?

One kid messaged me when I was 27 and he was a SENIOR IN HIGH SCHOOL!

WOW! I am 31, and I get people that are either over 45 or under 25 messaging me...now for me personally, I am looking for someone in the 30-40 age range.
  • Belle8312
    Options

Can we make it Wendy's instead? There is a cute woman working the counter there that I'd like to ogle while you're talking.

I guess we can go to Wendy's....but only if we're there for no more than an hour. I have another date this afternoon.