Judgmental confession about that non-judgmental confession thread

Options
I don't really understand why so many people on here say they eat something and don't log it at all. They're not cheating the system--their bodies log it all. There were dozens, if not hundreds, of people who said that.

What is the reasoning behind that? Do they not want their friends to see? Do they think that if they don't log it, it's somehow less real? I'm not talking about the occasional "I stole my kid's french fry," I'm talking about people who eat a significant amount of unlogged food.

Maybe I just don't get it, but it seems like a good way to spin your wheels.

Replies

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I don't log creamer, and it's because it would be a PIA to keep track of and log, and because I keep telling myself I will switch to drinking my coffee black.

Other things I don't log are mostly little irrelevant things like spices, oil spray, hot sauce, or bites of something my husband has which would be impossible to figure out.

Some things just aren't worth the trouble. I know they count whether I log them or not, but my weight loss is still 7-8 lbs a month, so whenever that changes I may tighten up my already quite tight logging.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    I don't log creamer, and it's because it would be a PIA to keep track of and log, and because I keep telling myself I will switch to drinking my coffee black.

Other things I don't log are mostly little irrelevant things like spices, oil spray, hot sauce, or bites of something my husband has which would be impossible to figure out.

Some things just aren't worth the trouble. I know they count whether I log them or not, but my weight loss is still 7-8 lbs a month, so whenever that changes I may tighten up my already quite tight logging.

No I get the tiny things, but there were a lot of people in that thread describing eating large amounts of food and not logging them.

I think I would sooner do a few minutes of unlogged exercise than log my cinnamon and cooking spray. Judge away!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I only don't log spices or e.g. the one-fry type thing. Which doesn't happen often either. Otherwise if I'm not logging it's because I'm taking the night off for a party or something and I don't have any idea of what will be served ahead of time and it's a bother to interrupt my enjoyment just to log. Other times I will log estimates as best I can in those situations.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Maybe because logging Every.Single.Thing is Sofa King tedious and annoying. Just a thought.

For me, personally, I admit I'm not accurate in my logging and alot of times I'm hungry because I don't want to log. I HATE that part of the weight loss process more than anything else (well wait, maybe exercise is hated more). You said it correctly when you said our bodies log it all. That's what I really need. For me to lose weight I know I have to be a little hungry sometimes and I rather do that then log every single morsel I ingest. That being said, I try to log as best as I can but I refuse to obsess over it.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't log spices, one-bites, or other small bits of food. I also do more eyeballing of portions than is strictly suggested, but I'm happy with the results I'm getting, so I don't feel the need to crack down on myself.

I only had to bother to look up creamer once. Now, as soon as I hit "add food" to breakfast, my top 2 frequently eaten suggestions are coffee and half and half. It's the easiest thing to log because it's such a constant.

But, yeah, I'm with you. I find blatant omissions and "cheats" to be odd. What's the point, who do you think you're kidding?
  • ana3067
    Options
    JSurita2 wrote: »
    Maybe because logging Every.Single.Thing is Sofa King tedious and annoying. Just a thought.

For me, personally, I admit I'm not accurate in my logging and alot of times I'm hungry because I don't want to log. I HATE that part of the weight loss process more than anything else (well wait, maybe exercise is hated more). You said it correctly when you said our bodies log it all. That's what I really need. For me to lose weight I know I have to be a little hungry sometimes and I rather do that then log every single morsel I ingest. That being said, I try to log as best as I can but I refuse to obsess over it.

If you hate your logging experience and your exercise... then yeah, sorry, you're doing something wrong. I love my exercise routine because I do things that I enjoy. I like logging because it legit takes 2 extra seconds to weigh the food and log it and I am eating foods I love.

Outside of when I first wake up and a short time before my next meal, I'm never hungry while dieting. I'm also not obsessed over my logging, it just is something I do.. like showering or pooping.

The only time weighing has been tedious was when my scales kept dying and I had no batteries (they would die every like.. 3 weeks... on my THIRD scale now so fingers crossed this one lasts lol).
  • shannonstube
    shannonstube Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't think the OP is talking about people who confess to not logging every single thing every day. But there were a lot of people who said something along the lines of, "I ate an entire box/bag/gallon of <insert "bad" food> and didn't log it." Or, "If I know I'm going over my calorie goal, I stop logging for the day." I think those are the kinds of comments the OP is referring to.

• berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I don't do it - because I just keep my diary private so my shame is only for me - however, I think I understand it. Here is what they are maybe thinking: if you have gone way over your calories, you know it, and you feel guilty, bad etc. Seeing those red numbers then makes you feel worse, like there is now proof that you messed up. Not logging doesn't make it not real, but it does save a little face.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I left things off my diary from time to time simply because I had no idea of knowing what to put for nutrition info and by leaving it blank I am not trying to pretend it didn't happen...I am acknowledging that the day was probably a failure and it's a reminder to be more careful in the future.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I log nearly everything, but it is a PITA. I cook nearly everything from scratch and never follow a set recipe, so I end up logging new recipes frequently. I have 9 different entries for beef and rice (sometimes adding veggis, different fat content ground beef, etc). Recording a recipe can take 10minutes. Its ridiculous.

If I ate more 1-2 ingredient foods or prepackaged stuff, it would go faster.
  • JSurita2
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

If you hate your logging experience and your exercise... then yeah, sorry, you're doing something wrong. I love my exercise routine because I do things that I enjoy. I like logging because it legit takes 2 extra seconds to weigh the food and log it and I am eating foods I love.

Outside of when I first wake up and a short time before my next meal, I'm never hungry while dieting. I'm also not obsessed over my logging, it just is something I do.. like showering or pooping.

The only time weighing has been tedious was when my scales kept dying and I had no batteries (they would die every like.. 3 weeks... on my THIRD scale now so fingers crossed this one lasts lol).

Uh...No I'm not sorry and I'm not doing anything wrong. Just because I don't love it doesn't mean I don't do it. I'm not extremely fond of pooping either but I still have to do it. I don't enjoy going out in the brutal cold to go to work but I still do it. But hey, if you only do things you enjoy then Kudos to you.
  • obscuremusicreference
    Options
    I don't think the OP is talking about people who confess to not logging every single thing every day. But there were a lot of people who said something along the lines of, "I ate an entire box/bag/gallon of <insert "bad" food> and didn't log it." Or, "If I know I'm going over my calorie goal, I stop logging for the day." I think those are the kinds of comments the OP is referring to.

Yeah, because OP is just as guilty of fudging 20-30 calories a day in spices and cooking spray!

But @jsurita, like @ana3067 says, you're doing it wrong if you're too hungry or hating exercise. Try out new workouts/machines/sports until you find something you love or that gives you results. And then eat at least half of those calories.
  • berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options

Some people just don't like things. That doesn't necessarily mean they are doing it wrong, just that these are not activities they enjoy. We all need to eat right and exercise, but none of us have to love it.
  • obscuremusicreference
    Options

Some people just don't like things. That doesn't necessarily mean they are doing it wrong, just that these are not activities they enjoy. We all need to eat right and exercise, but none of us have to love it.

I agree that I don't love calisthenics, but I don't hate it either. If that poster simply dislikes exercise or logging, well, I get it. But hating it suggests that they need to find something better for them.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Maybe it helps those people to not beat themselves up about the occasional splurge if they don't log. I know in the past seeing those really high red numbers made me feel crap the next day, which meant I barely ate and then most likely stuffed myself on junk food late at night when I eventually cracked, which became cylical over a few days and actually just compounded my mistake. Sometimes writing it off and starting afresh the next day is the simplest thing to do, the kindest thing for your ego, and actually sets you up better for the next day.

Obviously if you do it regularly you know you won't lose weight. I doubt these people are shocked if they don't lose weight that week or lose much less than expected.
  • JSurita2
    Options

I agree that I don't love calisthenics, but I don't hate it either. If that poster simply dislikes exercise or logging, well, I get it. But hating it suggests that they need to find something better for them.

Okay so let me clarify. I HATE dieting and exercise PERIOD. (whether it's counting calories or going on the treadmill or sit-ups etc.. All of it sucks to me. But the one thing I hate 100 times more than those things is being fat. So I'll do whatever I have to do to lose/maintain my weight. If anyone can honestly say they love and truly enjoy dieting and exercising I commend them for that. That's fantastic. I'm simply not there yet. I'm not sure I'll ever be.
  • ana3067
    Options

Uh...No I'm not sorry and I'm not doing anything wrong. Just because I don't love it doesn't mean I don't do it. I'm not extremely fond of pooping either but I still have to do it. I don't enjoy going out in the brutal cold to go to work but I still do it. But hey, if you only do things you enjoy then Kudos to you.

If you dislike your exercise, you're doing it wrong. Pick things you actually LIKE doing. I do as little cardio as I can because I don't really like it, although I'm starting to like it a bit more now. So I primarily lift because I love it.

And if logging is this torturous to you then you are clearly not tailoring your experience to make the time spent here reasonably comfortable.
  • terem00
    terem00 Posts: 176 Member
    Options

But if you HAVE to do it and there are a million ways to do it, why wouldn't you find that something that you could love and enjoy so that you stick with it?
    If you hate it you will give up, simple as that! (As for pooping, if you don't do it, then I say good luck with the rest of your day ..hardly the same comparison)
  • ana3067
    Options

This. I legit hate running on treadmills so I don't use them. But I enjoy jumping rope and I'm neutral on bikes and ellipticals, so I use these exercises.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options

I get the exercise haters. It's not the activity (say, running or weight lifting) that I hate, it's the whole sweaty, out of breath, muscle burn, tired thing...the thing that makes exercise worth while. Anything else would of course involve the same thing.