If You Ate Whatever you wanted, no excersize, what do you think would be your stable bmi/ weight?

Options

Replies

• aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    295, BMI 34-35%. So, exaclty where I was 2 months ago.
  • pjcfrancis
    pjcfrancis Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    cloudi2 wrote: »
    So, mostly I'm getting you all pretty much feel your natural bmi is in the obese range then?

I wouldn't say that's my natural BMI because I live in a culture/society where there are lots of super high calorie foods available to me constantly. Also I eat to deal with my emotions, which is not natural. So no, I think my "natural" weight would probably be verging on underweight since I am tall with thin bones, given a "natural" diet of fruits, veggies, and a reasonable amount of meat/fish etc. It's the ice cream, cakes, desserts, chocolate etc that I'm wearing around my belly.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    As I see some MFP people maintain on well over 2000 calories, I am curious to know what you would guess your weight or bmi would get to and stabelize at if you left off counting and ate whatever you wanted naturally.

Mine is around 27 - 28 bmi, I'm 65 years old and do some outdoor walks for groceries and such.

If I didn't count calories, and just ate what I wanted, given my history, then my BMI would be around 28-29. That's about 190 lbs on my 5'8" frame.

Thanks KM. I'm seeing a lot of different perceptions about what 'natural eating' leads to.
    Thank you for a clear response

I try to use my family as a guide, but in some cases it doesnt help. My Dad was slim and his family, most of them, were also slenderish. My mom battled with her weight, but her parents were just medium robust types. My daughters, now grown up àre different from each other, one tends to put on quickly, the other not at all. And to top that off, one of my brothers is slim medium and the other like my Mom battles with it. His wife has obesity in her family and she is large, but not what I would call obese in a bad way, just a very large girl, and very pretty.

At 5' 8" you can carry any weight more gracefully than those of us who are shorter.

• wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Many older people will lose weight from things like cancer or cancer treatments before they die - so they may die at a lower BMI - but the cancer itself (especially breast, colon, uterine) is more likely to occur in someone who is overweight. I am not certain you can really use that fact to support the hypothesis that you are healthier at an obese bmi than a mid normal one. Perhaps with age, the slight overweight does make some sense.
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    As I see some MFP people maintain on well over 2000 calories, I am curious to know what you would guess your weight or bmi would get to and stabelize at if you left off counting and ate whatever you wanted naturally.

Mine is around 27 - 28 bmi, I'm 65 years old and do some outdoor walks for groceries and such.

If I didn't count calories, and just ate what I wanted, given my history, then my BMI would be around 28-29. That's about 190 lbs on my 5'8" frame.

Thanks KM. I'm seeing a lot of different perceptions about what 'natural eating' leads to.
    Thank you for a clear response

I try to use my family as a guide, but in some cases it doesnt help. My Dad was slim and his family, most of them, were also slenderish. My mom battled with her weight, but her parents were just medium robust types. My daughters, now grown up àre different from each other, one tends to put on quickly, the other not at all. And to top that off, one of my brothers is slim medium and the other like my Mom battles with it. His wife has obesity in her family and she is large, but not what I would call obese in a bad way, just a very large girl, and very pretty.

At 5' 8" you can carry any weight more gracefully than those of us who are shorter.

Lol, I may carry it better, but definitely not gracefully, haha I'm as uncoordinated as they get! Being tall has disadvantages though, when I'm around my shorter friends I feel massive, like an elephant standing beside a person. I also find it hard to believe friends who say the are only 120 lbs, but have a BMI that is very obviously higher BMI than my own, given that I have like 60lbs on them. Just goes to show that there is no 'magic number' I guess.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    people wouldn't be on this website if natural eating got them where they wanted to be (with the exception of some folks here after a particular illness or medical recovery.)

If I ate whatever I wanted I would get to the size I got to when I was so disgusted with myself that I had to start focusing on what I eat. I'm fairly lucky because its not as high as some other people naturally get. for me it was in the 170s at 5'8". I looked and felt awful at that weight and was extremely out of shape.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    I should be eating 1400-1500 per day to lose weight, and I currently weigh about 165. I freaking love to eat, and it is so damn hard to hold back. If I didn't control myself I would probably maintain around 200-215lb. Because that's how much I like/want to eat to feel satisfied. My goal is to get back to 130... realistically though, I'd be happy at 145 again. Never thought I'd say that, because 145 used to be my "fat weight." :( I can't seem to stop my slow gaining trend at the moment though.

I'm with you about the 1400 - 1500, I couldnt do it anymore. I'm just short of 5'7", but I always use the 5'7" for calculating, its just easier. I was 130 as a teen, college put some on then after my first child I was back down to the 130's again. None of that was controlled, it just went that way. Then again in my 40's I was in a new situation and very busy and just naturally went down to around 130. Its funny how body weight can fluctuate so much for unknown reasons without dieting isnt it?

Thank you for addng to the thread Happysquidmuffin, I like your name! :)

• Gamliela
    Options
    I would estimate around 325-330 lbs. Right around where I started.
    Thanks KeeptheFaith!

• Gamliela
    Options
    i had a nice stable BMI of 30 for several years. ;) I can maintain a fat body pretty easily. Now my bmi of 20, that takes a little effort.

Thank you MelimomTARDIS for sharing! :)

• Gamliela
    Options
    bunnypy wrote: »
    Judging from the fact that every time a gain weight it's because I would be consuming around 2000 calories a day, I would be around 100kg which is double what I weigh now

Hi bunnypi, thank you and blessings on you, keep healthy!

• allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If I don't track my intake at all I sit right at 142lbs which is a 22.9 BMI.

ETA: If I wasn't an active person or I was seriously injured, or if it was an "eat whatever I want whenever I want" situation, it would be much higher.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    I have the opposite problem to most people. Left to my own devices I struggle to maintain a healthy weight, not helped by having digestive complications. I've been as low as BMI 17 left on my own with no exercise. I actually find that working out (all exercise but most especially lifting) increases my appetite and stabilizes my weight, so I'm sitting pretty at 19.5 theses days, and delighted.

This is intersting to me, but I am the opposite, more excersize, less hunger! Go figure!

• Gamliela
    Options
    It would be interesting to see how our 'default' BMIs compared to our BMIs as infants. I was a preemie, and the advice back then was to fatten up a baby as quickly as possible. Now they like to see babies 'lean and mean'.
    Lol LoL! "Lean and mean" babies! Thats so funny!
    Poor kids, hope they get proper brain developement.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    I think I'd be about 2-3 pounds heavier, which would put my BMI at around 19.
    Thats how my Dad always was too! :-)
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I guess I'd go back to where I started: 160 lbs, bmi of about 24.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    This BMI thing is disturbing to me. I don't consider myself obese (stomp!). I know it's an old, worn-out conversation.

I agree! Both my sisters in law were always large and healthy too and good looking.
    I, we, didnt know about bmi in those days and to think of them as obese is, well, just cant really even comprehend it. My daughter told me she was considered in the obese range a few years ago and honestly, she just didnt look it at all, she just looked like herself, and not unhealthy either.

I have unanswered questions about it.

I dont like the categorization and then the identification of oneself with it. I mean really one or two pounds put on one week and suddenly your called obese, but last week you were ok?

its been so hyped up as a disease now., as if we can catch it and its an epidemic! Its not. I know a lot of very big people who are healthy and happy, they arent sick or pre diabetic or anything, and they look good to me, and they are all nice people too.

• Gamliela
    Options
    flailx wrote: »
    I topped out at 225. I think I was about 222 when I got my diabetes (t2) diagnosis last year. I'm sure if I ate and did no exercise (as I used to) I would climb back up to 220ish.

Fortunately, I have learned how to eat better and enjoy it so (knock on wood) I think I'm gonna stay around my current 167ish.

I've pretty much lost all the weight, my next goal is to be very fit. So far I'm off to a sluggish start.

It must have been frightening to have been diagnosed with Diabetes. Did the diabetes settle down or stop?

I enjoy eating well too, and I dont mind buying fresh foods and cooking them at home. It seems to help.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    flinx1241 wrote: »
    Which was a BMI of about 43, I see...

Some of the time the numbers, including bmi ones, are just a hinderence to my well being and peace of mind. I really dont care what I weigh if my way of life is happy and peaceful I may just be healthier because of that alone!

Thanks for your post, it helped me write and reflect on ; How important are these numbers anyway?

• KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    It would be interesting to see how our 'default' BMIs compared to our BMIs as infants. I was a preemie, and the advice back then was to fatten up a baby as quickly as possible. Now they like to see babies 'lean and mean'.
    Lol LoL! "Lean and mean" babies! Thats so funny!
    Poor kids, hope they get proper brain developement.

I'm sure they will be fine. Both my kids stopped drinking milk at 1.5, and they are super smart. As long as they are eating a balanced diet (or in the case of the babies, breast milk or a balanced formula) they will be fine. I think this whole 'fats for brain development' push has gone a little overboard imho :)
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    pjcfrancis wrote: »
    So, mostly I'm getting you all pretty much feel your natural bmi is in the obese range then?

I wouldn't say that's my natural BMI because I live in a culture/society where there are lots of super high calorie foods available to me constantly. Also I eat to deal with my emotions, which is not natural. So no, I think my "natural" weight would probably be verging on underweight since I am tall with thin bones, given a "natural" diet of fruits, veggies, and a reasonable amount of meat/fish etc. It's the ice cream, cakes, desserts, chocolate etc that I'm wearing around my belly.

yes to all this.