I need clean eating motivation and friends!

Options

Replies

• toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Lezavargas wrote: »
    Rule number 1 about MFP...and it is a great tool...If you are new and ask a simple question out of not being familiar with the process, be prepared to be skewered for all angles...And yes this happens all the time...The high horses are the successful people who make a new person feel like crap. Answering a question with a question is perhaps the biggest culprit, just to prove a point.

Soooo truuuue!!! I was shocked by the venom that came out with the first post I put on here. Never suspected in a million years that I would catch so much flack for trying to make a heathy change in my life. But, despite all the haters, i found a great support group and we are adding more all the time!

Despite those who think otherwise, it happens daily. There are a ton on knowledgable people on here and I have learned allot. I know it is frustrating to see people post questions that 75% of the members know the answer to. But flexing sarcastic knowledge muscles is annoying as *kitten*.

Why not preach to the OP for starting the discussion with judgement?

It's been done to death already and I think they may have learned their lesson.
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Rule number 1 about MFP...and it is a great tool...If you are new and ask a simple question out of not being familiar with the process, be prepared to be skewered for all angles...And yes this happens all the time...The high horses are the successful people who make a new person feel like crap. Answering a question with a question is perhaps the biggest culprit, just to prove a point.

Soooo truuuue!!! I was shocked by the venom that came out with the first post I put on here. Never suspected in a million years that I would catch so much flack for trying to make a heathy change in my life. But, despite all the haters, i found a great support group and we are adding more all the time!

Despite those who think otherwise, it happens daily. There are a ton on knowledgable people on here and I have learned allot. I know it is frustrating to see people post questions that 75% of the members know the answer to. But flexing sarcastic knowledge muscles is annoying as *kitten*.

Why would you think that though? OP hasn't even returned.

Lol, I wouldn't either...they had a 4 post history and for all we know could be just stirring the pot. I get that the question was full of judgement...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Why would you think that though? OP hasn't even returned.

Lol, I wouldn't either...they had a 4 post history and for all we know could be just stirring the pot. I get that the question was full of judgement...

And you do realize that the gal you are replying to earlier doesn't actually eat clean? She jut eats in moderation just like 98% of us? Yet, she claims to eat clean. I guess I am a vegetarian 50% of the time...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Open invitation to anyone looking for some tasty recipes and snacking ideas! Clean eating Is a challenging undertaking with the volumes of processed foods out there! We dont expect perfection! Ridding yourself of processed food is a process in and of itself :) We all need all the support we can get and god knows you dont get it on these forums!!

Given what Hornsby said, how is how you eat different from how non clean eaters eat? I would really like to understand this.

My diary is open, how should I change it to be a "clean" eater? Do you live by what you would tell me to do? Should I feel guilty about the ice cream or protein bars? (Or the smoked salmon? plain Fage? oatmeal?)

As I understand it, the claim by "clean eaters" is that you eat in a more healthful way than the rest of us, and you are inviting us to join in, so what am I doing wrong?

For the record, I don't see why one needs the "clean" label for snacks and recipes. I love recipes (I don't cook by them ever, but I read cookbooks for ideas and pleasure), and while none of mine are labeled "clean" they all (sort of obviously, unless you cook only from the Sandra Lee Semi Homemade Cookbook or some such) are based on whole foods.

For the OP, I try to eat healthfully and eat lots of veggies and at the moment am doing a no-meat-but-fish thing with a focus on incorporating more truly vegetarian dishes, not just lots of fish (although that too). So I try to do it "right" as I understand "right" for me, and am quite interested in healthy recipes that are vegetarian, especially beans-based or which have a decent amount of protein without fake meat (which is fine for those who like it, but I choose to avoid it).
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Femisfit wrote: »
    i love to support friends, but sometimes what I see them eat makes me cringe. Cookie dough for lunch? "I stayed under my calorie goal so it's okay" Does anyone do it "right?"

I do not log my food, so feel free to add! I may or may not eat cookie dough, ice cream, cookies, cake, pizza, chocolate, donuts,....
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    RivenV wrote: »
    RivenV wrote: »
    I had Oreos and coffee for breakfast today. I was in a hurry, I'm having a stressful week and it made me happy. I'm still on track to be under my calorie goal for the day. Haterz gonna hate!
    Edit: 2 Oreos. Not the whole box. Because moderation.

I just saw they have cookie dough stuffed oreos, I need to find these but until then I will suffer with cookie dough ice cream

What if... you put a little brownie batter into the bottom of muffin cups and put a cookie dough covered cookie dough oreo on top of the batter, and baked it? ... And then served it with cookie dough flavored ice cream with pieces of cookie dough in it... ?

Oh I need to try this! Think you may have given me my baking project for the weekend

Pics or it didn't happen! ;)<3

I've been meaning to try it, but I just haven't had the time, you know? I was in a serious baking mood last weekend, wink wink, but I made a blackberry pie instead. I regret nothing!

There will be pics! Last weekend was the cake and the dozen cupcakes I need someone to eat!

Once upon a time I gave my friends Diabetes with these Reese Cup, Cookie Dough Brownie Cupcake things I made.

You press store-bought cookie dough to the bottoms of a cupcake tin about 1/4 of the way up. Top with an upside down Reese cup, and then top THAT off with brownie batter (about 3/4 of the way up). Bake for 15-18 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven.

It's heaven.

I love you.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    [/quote] Maybe you should read the very FIRST post in this thread...[/quote]

I did read the first post. I understand she was being judgmental, as was I in my response. Maybe she didn't mean it to come across the way it did, may she did but my point was that she was seeking friends, misguided and judgmental but seeking friends. I saw so many people attacking the word clean and very few actually offering to be her friend or offer her help. I don't claim to be a clean eater. If anything I am a murky, almost muddy eater. I said as much in my post. I just don't see the point of tearing someone apart because they ask a question.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    And again, she didn't get tore apart for asking a question. She got tore apart for being judgmental and implying that clean is the way to be "right". Since the majority of this board realizes that "clean" eating is a bunk description (as shown in this thread by people who claim to be clean eaters), people are going to get offended. This is a community after all and just like any community, the majority rules.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Clean eating / healthy eating, as I define it, is having high food quality standards and an absence of artificial food additives that exist primarily to prolong the shelf life of the food or make it taste/smell/feel/appear more like food “should be” (as determined by corporate marketing executives). No, this doesn't mean that I don’t consume preservatives, I eat a lot of them, and no, it doesn't mean that I exclusively eat clean, I don’t have the time or discipline required to do that even 60-70% of the time.

I’m not sure why this would offend anyone – it is my body, I will fuel it as I see fit. If your standards are different, great, eat the way you want – if you feel that you are being “judged”, perhaps it is time to reevaluate your standards.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »
    Clean eating / healthy eating, as I define it, is having high food quality standards and an absence of artificial food additives that exist primarily to prolong the shelf life of the food or make it taste/smell/feel/appear more like food “should be” (as determined by corporate marketing executives). No, this doesn't mean that I don’t consume preservatives, I eat a lot of them, and no, it doesn't mean that I exclusively eat clean, I don’t have the time or discipline required to do that even 60-70% of the time.

I’m not sure why this would offend anyone – it is my body, I will fuel it as I see fit. If your standards are different, great, eat the way you want – if you feel that you are being “judged”, perhaps it is time to reevaluate your standards.

Maybe read the whole thread, this was not her being judged because she wanted to eat clean. But that she could judge those she added as her friends because they choose to eat differently.

Plus as an added bonus we have the do as I say, not as I do person - valiantly defending something she doesn't do.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I saw so many people attacking the word clean and very few actually offering to be her friend or offer her help. I don't claim to be a clean eater. If anything I am a murky, almost muddy eater. I said as much in my post. I just don't see the point of tearing someone apart because they ask a question.

I think there are a couple of things going on. First (and least important), she stumbled into the never-ending "clean" eating battle. The funny thing is I'm on record as hating the term "clean" eating as much as anyone, but from that perspective her post didn't really bother me--I understand wanting to have friends who will encourage you in a certain way of eating and welcome similar encouragement and I never fault anyone who just picks up on the "clean" term, much as I think it's needlessly confusing and insulting once you think about it more (and thus that people who know the reaction and continue to use it are trying to engage in the argument/be insulting). I'm not into "clean" eating, but I am into trying to eat in a healthful way (which I think is the case for most people here who aren't "clean" eaters, which is why the airs put on by certain other self-proclaimed "clean" eaters--not the OP--are kind of weird/funny). As such, I'd be interested in exchanging meal and recipe ideas and encouraging people in eating healthfully, certainly, if it weren't approached as doing MFP in a "right" way that is better than others.

Second, and more significant here, I think the post came across as insulting of her friends, which feels wrong, and like if you went along you'd be criticized for eating wrong if not meeting some unidentified standard of perfection. I don't like the idea that people are doing that, particularly--who wants to feel like their meals are being judged? There are all kinds of reasons why if you look at a particular day you might eat in a way that not even you yourself would necessarily consider ideal, yet it's important to the process to feel comfortable logging it. So I think there's a logical strong reaction against the idea that people should be mocked or criticized for their lunch choice by someone who is supposed to be a friend (even in the MFP sense).
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Who are you to judge if they are doing it right?

What exactly is doing it right?

Can't we have one thread where someone doesn't pick a fight with the OP? Why ruin the thread by projecting your personal issues into what's being said?
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

Can't we have one thread where someone doesn't pick a fight with the OP?
    Can't we have one thread where someone doesn't get so offended?

It's asking her to clarify, hardly picking a fight.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I just read it as someone who wants to check the diaries of other people for meal ideas in keeping with how OP wants to eat.
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2015
    Options

No one is saying that what some individual does affects them. The assertion (ironically by someone--not the OP--who does not even eat according to her own standards) is that those who eat "clean" can judge those who do not. I have certain standards of my own that I try to follow (largely having to do with mostly cooking from whole foods and eating lots of vegetables and other nutrient dense foods, so hardly all that different), and sometimes I am successful and sometimes I am not. I've had friends who were on the same page on some of those, and we encouraged each other, and that's great. But "clean" eating is a murky thing and what you think is healthy (no processed or some such) might not be what I think is healthy, such that your deciding that it was sensible to criticize my diary or comment on it to others because I eat, for just one example, store-bought yogurt (plain Fage, which meets my personal standards, but is obviously "processed," etc.) would annoy me, since FOR ME that's not a slip up, but something I choose to do based on what I think is healthy. Similarly, being criticized for eating red meat, because someone else thinks that's bad for me or potatoes (same) or wheat or too many carbs or whatever it is, up to and including ice cream and chocolate, which I usually choose to include in my diet, would not be especially helpful. The point is that there can be valid, reasonable differences in what makes for a healthful diet. The idea that eating "clean" (especially when that has no meaning and seems not to be actually complied with) means you have higher standards is false.

Another, related point is that people may not find it helpful at all to have their diet commented on and may believe at this point in time that focusing too much on whole foods or the like isn't helpful for them or simply that being honest and seeing how they are eating and cutting calories is the absolute priority. Being judged and commented on by people who are supposed to be their friends doesn't help with this.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

Maybe read the whole thread, this was not her being judged because she wanted to eat clean. But that she could judge those she added as her friends because they choose to eat differently.

Plus as an added bonus we have the do as I say, not as I do person - valiantly defending something she doesn't do.

Requesting “clean eating only” friends is offensive ? Do you get offended by threads where people are looking for maintenance friends, friends that want to lose 50lbs in 2015, crossfit friends, IIFYM friends, Christian friends, fit mommies, Canadians friends, etc? Each of those is also exclusionary.
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

I'm not offended. I just think the immature attitudes and projecting of insecurities on the forums is pathetic. And considering what transpired, this was not a request for clarification. But, whatever. I don't have to spend time in the forums. Considering the current environment, I don't want to. Have a good day, and be well.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

This is where most of us fall into though... What is strange is the need for some to label it clean whilst the rest of us call it moderation.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

Exactly... She made a statement and that statement needed clarification.