Unexpected results of weight loss

Options

Replies

• ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    valente347 wrote: »
    I didn't realize I would be speechless when someone commented on the chocolate cake I was eating for lunch, questioning how I can lose weight and eat cake. I guess when I weighed more, I was lucky that everyone was polite enough to keep their comments to themselves.

I was surprised how much faster I'm moving down in sizes as I'm getting closer to my goal. It seems that a 5 pound difference is a lot more noticeable when I'm 150 lbs than when I'm 220 lbs.

My natural face shape has surprised me. I've been overweight since I was little and I always thought it was oval under my chubby cheeks, but it turns out that I have a really strong jawline. My eyes also look a lot bigger.

My nails are much stronger now that my diet is better.

I hate feeling my heartbeat in my stomach. I didn't know that would happen.

My sitting posture has changed because my butt doesn't force my lower back into such a weird angle.

I've also been surprised that losing weight doesn't make me less self-conscious about the parts of my body I disliked when I was obese.

This has been surprising for me too.
  • Frappleberry
    Frappleberry Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I love this thread, it's really motivating me to keep going!
  • MargueriteMuguet
    MargueriteMuguet Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I might have a strange one: my legs have become even thinner than they already were (i carry weight in the bust and belly) and it is feeling weird to walk. I am so self-conscious of the air between my legs and it makes my walking 'style' awkward.
    I am used to having my legs touch a bit but now they are not anymore and i need to learn how to walk again hahah.
    + having my wedding ring resized
    + And being ok with the scale moving slowly
    + Liking new foods better than my old favourites
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    winnsboy wrote: »
    Ditto on the feeling cold. What has amazed me four years into this is how I have become addicted to exercise. Another thing I have noticed is now that I eat healthy how foods I used to love turn me off because of how I feel after eating them. I have also found that I own a heck of a lot more clothes than I ever have and that I actually like shopping for clothes now.

This is me all of the way :) but I live in Arizona, so I get a lot of strange looks when I walk around in a jacket and such because I am always cold... but guess who will have the last laugh in August...
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    This may be my own perception, but I feel like I look taller. Maybe I'm just carrying myself differently? Standing up straighter? Probably.

And just last night I experienced the 'bony knees' phenomenon. I'm a side sleeper and was tossing and turning like "why can't I get comfortable"? LOL
  • kab789
    kab789 Posts: 110 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    2ledbetter wrote: »
    Realizing I weigh less than my husband now :)

This is one of my goals. I only have 17.5 more pounds to go!! :smile:
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I had purchased a number of necklace extenders at my highest weight - they are all off my necklaces now.

New one for me today - went for a walk & it's pretty windy. Actually had to fight to keep my balance at times - used to be a hurricane wind would barely push me over :blush:
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    This may be my own perception, but I feel like I look taller. Maybe I'm just carrying myself differently? Standing up straighter? Probably.

quote]

I had people tell me I looked taller, including my dad. I definitely hadn't grown, but I did look taller. I think being less "round" helped.

• ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    SbetaK wrote: »
    Have noticed when people are quite heavy that their arms hang out at an angle to accommodate their girth. Including mine. And they swing awkwardly when walking. Noticed as I was walking towards a reflective door the other day that my arms now hang down in a normal position as I walk.

That is an awesome one. (The way my arms hung was actually one of my motivators to lose some weight...)
  • Cassie_DE
    Cassie_DE Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bekk927 wrote: »
    I hadn't really connected a lot of these things to weight loss until reading this thread (shoe size, cold etc. )

One not so great side effect for me has been hair loss, I'm not sure why but when I started to lose weight I started losing hair volume too.. weird I know

You may be eating too little! Usually when you lose hair like that it's because of a crash diet. I hope that that isn't the cause, but for the love of your hair, try eating more and getting a variety of nutrients in for a few months to see if you can stop the damage.

• iamaprincessx
    iamaprincessx Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Haha, I've lost 35lbs since January it may not sound much but I feel like instead of always falling off the side of my boyfriends little bed i feel as if i have more room and can lie on my back instead of just on my side lol and sitting on hard chairs or the floor hurts my bones :( haha. sitting on the toilet having a wee i have to look twice at my knees also because they are all sticky out-y haha Xxxxx
  • iamaprincessx
    iamaprincessx Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Ooooh also the chub off my face has gone and im sure it makes my eyes look bigger so i look like a meerkat when i spot myself in the mirror... also all the blouses and shirts i was wearing a few months ago are like dresses to me now :open_mouth: Also i can fit into my skinny minnie little sisters clothes ;)
    I've always been clumsy but bumping into things with less fat = more painful !! I've given my pokey out hipbones a right bashing recently
  • Cassie_DE
    Cassie_DE Posts: 58 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Suddenly realizing that, yes, I may actually have boney knees.
    That I haven't gotten sick in ages, whereas during my worst years I had several yucky colds and even the stomach flu (something I haven't contracted since I was a child!).
    My bra strap size has shrunk steadily -people don't believe me when I tell them I'm a 32. I'm also finally (TMI!) seeing some actual bust shrinkage; the smaller I went in bra band, the larger I had to go in cups, and at JJ I'm running out of cups! My chest has always drawn attention in ways that frequently made me uncomfortable, especially when I was young and the attention was frightening. I look forward to THOSE changes -though I can't say I'm too pleased by the disappearance of my tush :(

One of the things I'm reminded of every day, and that is most important to me, is that my fingers don't look like over-stuffed sausages anymore. The first time I ever became conscious of being overweight and unlike the other children was when I saw a photo of myself at a recent birthday party when I was seven; my fingers looked plump and utterly different than the hands of my friends. I've carried that self-consciousness around for 22 years, and it's a poison I'm relieved to slowly be freed from.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!