I need clean eating motivation and friends!

Options

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Whittedo wrote: »
    I am a clean eater. I shower everyday and wash my hands before every meal. To the cookie dough and pizza bingers who justify their behaviour by "keeping within their calorie goal" I ask a simple question: How long do you think that I would live if all I ate was 1.5 cups of white sugar everyday? It is exactly my calorie requirement so I have to assume from some of the posts here that it would be perfectly acceptable.

I assume you are a halfway reasonable person until proven otherwise. Therefore, if you chose to eat just sugar and told me that was because you cared only about calories and not nutrition, I'd still think it was likely that (a) you knew that was bad for you and were making a choice for your own reasons, even if I don't understand them, (b) would probably quickly realize you didn't feel so well on that diet, and (c) would quickly realize that you were hungry on the diet and couldn't stick to your limit without it being unpleasant. So I'd expect that you would modify your diet soon enough.

(This is probably why I've never seen anyone eating such a silly diet.)

Now, if you were, in fact, an extremely unusual and ignorant person and didn't realize that eating only sugar is neither satiating nor good for you (I'm skeptical of this being possible, but let's pretend), and said "oh, dear, I'm so hungry and don't feel good," I'd say "have you considered eating a more balanced diet" and give some helpful hints.

Obviously, however, your hypothetical has nothing to do with this thread. Instead, this thread raises the question of how we define "clean eating" or doing it "right." I'm curious whether my diary would win me condemnation on the forums, according to the oh-so-holy clean eaters in this thread. In that I am not perfect, I have to assume yes, but somehow all the self-proclaimed clean eaters think they are immune, so maybe wearing the label makes your foibles okay? It's puzzling.

I had to peek and lots of veggies but omg you had sorbet.... ruined it all! We must condemn you now
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Lezavargas wrote: »
    Femisfit wrote: »
    i love to support friends, but sometimes what I see them eat makes me cringe. Cookie dough for lunch? "I stayed under my calorie goal so it's okay" Does anyone do it "right?"

Oh dear, once you used the word "right" you set yourself up for the onslaught of haters. I am eating clean too. Friend me and Ive got some great recipes! Ignore all the haters. Theyre just looking for a fight.

Looking at your diary, you eat far from what most clean eaters would consider clean. Lots of processed stuff in your diary. I guess it's easy if you don't actually do what you say you are doing?

Closing your diary doesn't change the fact that you don't practice what you preach.

Okay, I'm in for all ten pages now.
  • Femisfit
    Femisfit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    So is this what people get paid to do? 9 to 5 jobs must be so rough...
    Femisfit wrote: »
    Bahahaha aww I hurt people's feelings! High horse? Haha whatever helps folks feel better. I'm not the problem. I have goals and I am going for them...that's what I use this app for. I want like minded on my feed not binge eaters! I could care less what my neighbor or best friend eats..Except when I cheat with them!! This is a fitness app, sorry folks but if I don't want people who eat cake and cry about not loosing weight or gaining muscle. Cool! I'm making my own little Internet world. Peace out angry Internet trolls!

What's wrong with this is simply that it comes out as you picked how you want to get in shape and you are asking for other people who have already gone your path to guide you. Because we are all human and we all make mistakes. Some binge - it is a real problem; but you don't want to encourage them and help them get better. You only want people to help you. And if the path you chose fails for you? You have already eliminated others who have found a different path that works and maybe it was something you could apply to your own.
    - I'm sorry did you ask me if I did that? Did I miss a questionnaire?

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Carefully read the title of the thread: "I need clean eating motivation and friends!" So if you aren't a clean eater, how can you reasonably crash this thread and then claim to be offended by it, since you weren't the intended audience? Yeah, you're here to argue and shut it down.

You must have reading comprehension issues, OP's tittle and her first post are 2 different things. I suggest reading her first post. ;)

I literally copied the name of the message thread and pasted it in my post above. Does that sound like a reading comprehension issue? ;)

Be fair- you can copy and paste anything without reading it.

But it also doesn't answer the question that you read her actual POST.

Yes - but that isn't my point.

It would be like me reading a "I need vegetarian eating motivation and friends!" message header, and even though I'm not a vegetarian, I click it anyways, and then I read the initial post and it is degrading to meat-eaters, and then I get offended, and have to post a bunch of negative comments about the OP. Huh?? Uhhh, if I wasn't a vegetarian in the first place, why do I choose to click on a vegetarian friends MB, and furthermore, how can you reasonably get offended by it? People are just looking for any excuse to 1) get offended and 2) argue.

I clicked on it because I eat in a way that many who are "clean" eaters would consider "clean" (although I dislike the term, which is silly). Therefore, I thought I might have something to say. I like sharing ideas about vegetables and cooking whole foods and such. I find it bizarre that many self-labeled clean eaters seem to think that only those who self-label as "clean" would have something of interest to contribute on these topics--as I noted upthread, only someone who really isn't experienced with cooking would think you need special "clean eating" recipes to get ideas about how to cook with whole foods. That's what essentially all normal recipes are.

(I think this comes through pretty clearly on my first post here, although I also commented on the discussion of someone else's diary and why people were reacting negatively to that.)

If you sincerely clicked on the MB because you are a clean eater and were considering friending this person, then read the OP's post and took offense to it, that is totally reasonable. But let's be honest - this MB is mostly riddled with posts from the MFP Anti-Clean Eating coalition that regularly crash any board that dares reference "clean eating", argue with everyone, distract from its original person, and eventually get it shut down. They had no intention of friending the OP and are here to argue.

There's a coalition now?? Do I get a membership card or secret handshake??

Or maybe some of us read lots of threads because they are on a public forum and since it was in the food & nutrition section I read many of them.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    bgorum wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    I am a clean eater. I shower everyday and wash my hands before every meal. To the cookie dough and pizza bingers who justify their behaviour by "keeping within their calorie goal" I ask a simple question: How long do you think that I would live if all I ate was 1.5 cups of white sugar everyday? It is exactly my calorie requirement so I have to assume from some of the posts here that it would be perfectly acceptable.

And here we go. When in doubt you'll win an argument with sense, let's throw out some extreme nonsense to try to prove the point.

He's just better at using an exaggeration that actually came across as the exaggeration it was intended to be . . . . IMHO . . . .

I would never eat cookie dough as a whole meal. I'm NOT judging ANYONE else if they do. But, when I saw the OP, I took it as an exaggeration because it was not in my frame of reference, and I didn't know of anyone who does that. I'm guessing it wasn't in her frame of reference either. (I said I was GUESSING). Little did she know other people do this and think it's fan frickin' tastic and get their undies twisted if you bring it up and talk about it like it's a weird thing.

And before coffeechugger, or whoever that was, decides to go all personal again. No, I didn't fall off the wagon because I deprived myself . . . . of anything. LOL!

Sheesh, I said "with all due respect . . . . . "
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Carefully read the title of the thread: "I need clean eating motivation and friends!" So if you aren't a clean eater, how can you reasonably crash this thread and then claim to be offended by it, since you weren't the intended audience? Yeah, you're here to argue and shut it down.

You must have reading comprehension issues, OP's tittle and her first post are 2 different things. I suggest reading her first post. ;)

I literally copied the name of the message thread and pasted it in my post above. Does that sound like a reading comprehension issue? ;)

Be fair- you can copy and paste anything without reading it.

But it also doesn't answer the question that you read her actual POST.

Yes - but that isn't my point.

It would be like me reading a "I need vegetarian eating motivation and friends!" message header, and even though I'm not a vegetarian, I click it anyways, and then I read the initial post and it is degrading to meat-eaters, and then I get offended, and have to post a bunch of negative comments about the OP. Huh?? Uhhh, if I wasn't a vegetarian in the first place, why do I choose to click on a vegetarian friends MB, and furthermore, how can you reasonably get offended by it? People are just looking for any excuse to 1) get offended and 2) argue.

I clicked on it because I eat in a way that many who are "clean" eaters would consider "clean" (although I dislike the term, which is silly). Therefore, I thought I might have something to say. I like sharing ideas about vegetables and cooking whole foods and such. I find it bizarre that many self-labeled clean eaters seem to think that only those who self-label as "clean" would have something of interest to contribute on these topics--as I noted upthread, only someone who really isn't experienced with cooking would think you need special "clean eating" recipes to get ideas about how to cook with whole foods. That's what essentially all normal recipes are.

(I think this comes through pretty clearly on my first post here, although I also commented on the discussion of someone else's diary and why people were reacting negatively to that.)

If you sincerely clicked on the MB because you are a clean eater and were considering friending this person, then read the OP's post and took offense to it, that is totally reasonable. But let's be honest - this MB is mostly riddled with posts from the MFP Anti-Clean Eating coalition that regularly crash any board that dares reference "clean eating", argue with everyone, distract from its original purpose, and eventually get it shut down. They had no intention of friending the OP and are here to argue.
    LOL! So coming in to have someone clarify what their post means = arguing?

You ever think that if any OP of any clean eating thread would sincerely try to respond and come up with their sense of a response/clarity or understand as to WHY their wording doesn't make sense, that these threads would be less jumped on? Thus resulting in no arguing and all the little "clean" buddies can meet up, YAY!
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    This thread is just full of win. I want cookie dough now, can anyone tell me where to get cookie dough from and what is the best cleaning agent to use on it?

Personally I aim to hit my macros and fibre targets, aim to eat fruit or veg with every meal except my post workout shake. After that, anything goes! If anyone wants to obsess over the perceived cleanliness of their food, that's their call and I guess they deserve praise for their dedication. As long as they realise people who aren't so restrictive on what they eat are just as dedicated and more than likely are very good at what they do. I often fit in delightfully tasty pastries into my macros and yet I'm a very low body fat percentage, I'm fit, energetic and haven't been ill for years. Now, where's the cookie dough...

By the way, I think it's very poor form to criticise your friends. There's something very spiteful and nasty about that. If what they do is that much of a problem for you, you probably shouldn't be friends with them.
  • jhoyett
    jhoyett Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I struggle with eating clean but you can friend me and hopefully we can hold each other accountable!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    so question- cookie dough as lunch is off limits- but what about a special sunday number from Friendly's- I mean Hunka Chunka Peanut Butter is got all the macros- carbs, fat and protein... does that mean it's okay to have "just' for lunch.

And when/where can I pay my dues for the ACEC?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    jhoyett wrote: »
    I struggle with eating clean but you can friend me and hopefully we can hold each other accountable!

So in all seriousness, you would far better help yourself if you took your focus away form the "clean" part and put it towards things that probably matter more. IMO, the order of importance when it comes to diet looks like this...

1. Adherence
    2. Energy balance
    3. Macros
    4. Micros
    5. Nutrient timing
    6. Supplements

Just my thoughts, take them for what they are worth...
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    so question- cookie dough as lunch is off limits- but what about a special sunday number from Friendly's- I mean Hunka Chunka Peanut Butter is got all the macros- carbs, fat and protein... does that mean it's okay to have "just' for lunch.

Only if you thoroughly shower first.

And sacrifice a baby goat.

Then it's clean and you can eat it.

I think. I dunno. I forgot how this works. I don't think I'm doing it right. :confounded:
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    God, I love Fridays.

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »

Only if you thoroughly shower first.

And sacrifice a baby goat.

Then it's clean and you can eat it.

I think. I dunno. I forgot how this works. I don't think I'm doing it right. :confounded:
    This Friendly's place sounds delicious!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I would never eat cookie dough as a whole meal. I'm NOT judging ANYONE else if they do.

I'm never sure precisely how to log things, so on a weekend I might eat a big breakfast and then go to my bike trainer session (90 mins of intense exercise) and be starving after so have a Quest bar and then get to work after and have some kind of snack like a banana and then go out to an early dinner and movie.

Under these circumstances, the whole lunch would be "Quest bar--cookie dough."

Now, I'm not saying OP mistook a Quest bar, but that someone might have had basically a snack at lunch time and logged it as lunch. I wouldn't assume that's absurd, and if she were going to make up some exaggeration I'd expect it to involve more than one meal.

For the record, the only person I recall claiming anything similar here (other than the dinner I admitted to upthread, which was quite unusual for me and because the option was not eating until after 1 am when I had to focus on work) is someone who posted about eating only ice cream for dinner. She was a "clean" eater and her point was that she felt badly afterwards and couldn't seem to figure out that this was not a good argument against eating ice cream in general.

My concern here is that I'd feel terrible if a friend of mine here pulled out a bad day of mine and mocked it on the forums. Not because I don't own what I eat (although I have issues like many people here), but because that's a really mean thing to do as a "friend."

Beyond that, she was asking for friends and basically saying she'd judge you if you had a bad day. And who knows how bad? I see no reason to assume that my sorbet (as Give Me Coffee noted!) would not put me in the line of fire.

Also, I find it weird that all these people are claiming to be "clean" eaters when they also seem to eat basically just like the rest of us, and apparently assuming that their own missteps won't get them judged and mocked. Again, is just using the label enough to put you beyond criticism?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    "Cookie dough for lunch"
    FOR LUNCH
    So, in place of a whole entire meal . . . .
    Not as a snack . . . .
    Not as a dessert . . . .
    As a whole meal . . . . ?

I think that was the part that made things a little more clear for me about the OPs meaning.

Nobody is perfect. I'm certainly not. Had valentines day candy this week, on multiple days. It was processed . . . and yummy. Also had protein bars (processed), protein powder (processed), vitamin supplement (processed) store bought almond milk (processed), and storebought bread (processed). I just don't think the post was meant the way some of y'all seem to think, IMHO.

But, the wild spraying of venom is entertaining. Please continue.

so what? You don't know what the rest of that persons day days/week was like, so who are you to judge?

Since our bodies don't work on a 24 hour clock anyhow.
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Second, and more significant here, I think the post came across as insulting of her friends, which feels wrong, and like if you went along you'd be criticized for eating wrong if not meeting some unidentified standard of perfection. I don't like the idea that people are doing that, particularly--who wants to feel like their meals are being judged? There are all kinds of reasons why if you look at a particular day you might eat in a way that not even you yourself would necessarily consider ideal, yet it's important to the process to feel comfortable logging it. So I think there's a logical strong reaction against the idea that people should be mocked or criticized for their lunch choice by someone who is supposed to be a friend (even in the MFP sense).

Seconded.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Good to see all the 'clean' eaters friending each other so they can commiserate with each other when most of them crack, binge, and fail to meet their goals.

The rest of us will continue to enjoy cookies and pizza whilst losing fat.

Carry on carrying on, everyone.

They'll probably just make threads complaining about each other when this happens. Then when asked about it, they'll be all, "NO, I wasn't talking about you! No one is perfect! However, did you not read the label on that cookie dough you ate the other day? I mean, it should be ILLEGAL to put all those preservatives in there. Botulism is natural!"

don't forget all the evil added sugars...

and baking soda...(or was it baking powder?) :laugh:

It was baking soda. That evil, evil sodium bicarbonate...

I can't even pronounce those words...

...so no way would I ever eat that.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Reese's Pieces Sundae.

aa2c6056d98732fc4d1e7e2f58cdccde.jpg
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I'll take Extreme Extrapolation Strawmen for $800, Alex.

(Now if there was someone proposing that eating 1.5 cups of white sugar everyday was a healthy thing to do, you may have a point...

...but since this wouldn't fit anyone's reasonable macros and meets nobody's minimum nutritional requirements, it's completely irrelevant.)