WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2105

Options

Replies

• helen2307
    helen2307 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    ladies, hello from Liverpool UK :smile:
    We are just moving into spring here, which is great 'cos I am a bit fed up of cold weather now. I am taking the change in weather and the start of lent to try and get a bit fitter/thinner.
  • MMinMD
    MMinMD Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    A wonderful 385 cal breakfast today:
    1/2 cup old Wessex 5 grain cereal
    Small banana
    1/2 oz walnuts
    1T maple syrup
    2T Redi whip

Mmmm

4pu8ts2nbanu.jpg
  • Joanncummings
    Joanncummings Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Looks yummy!
  • Joanncummings
    Options
    helen2307 wrote: »
    We are just moving into spring here, which is great 'cos I am a bit fed up of cold weather now. I am taking the change in weather and the start of lent to try and get a bit fitter/thinner.

• Joanncummings
    Options
    helen2307 wrote: »
    Lucky you! I am in Vermont USA! We have tons of snow. If I want to off road walk, which I do with 2 dogs, I have to use the snow mobile trails through the woods. Here's to your success and mine with 50 lbs to lose.
  • Joanncummings
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Can't say too much, I'm off to the Eelpout festival in Walker. Tomorrow is my DH grandson basketball tournament. An all day event. Then Sunday Church and after a memorial service for my DH ex-wife husband that passed on New Years Eve.

Everyone have a great night!

Mary from Minnesota
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Sylvia – I love your jokes, but more I love your commentary…the categories for the new dog shows… are great!

newbies – welcome and you join by posting

Karen – LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

So I read all the posts but just could not respond to everyone… too tired. I have joined a hiking group and OMG, this week alone I have done 35 miles (Monday- Friday…) my legs and bum are so tired… will see you all tomorrow.

Feb. goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Plan and do a fun thing every week

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png

• Joanncummings
    Options
    Oh you are doing so well. Good for you!
  • MMinMD
    Options
    Mary from MN – oh your skin and cellulite post made me happy! I’m 56, had a knee replacement last year, and the scar is barely noticeable. More evidence that our middle-aged skin can recover!

Joann – add my as a friend if you want another accountability buddy. I have more than 100 to lose!

Hi to Helen in Liverpool. Spring there already! Not so much here in the eastern US!

Welcome to Shelley from Montana. I’ve only been here a few weeks, but everyone here is really helping me stay positive and on track.

Terri – thanks for the memories, I used to bowl in HS. Congrats on the NSV avoiding bowling alley food!

Joyce – WRT DH and cooking – my DH and I are recent empty nesters so I am relearning cooking and shopping habits. In the past I often cooked for an extended family of 9-13. Although I find it very strange (and somehow wasteful) to cook just 2 portions, I have been teaching myself do so. With 60 lbs lost you sound like you have worked around your problems with feeding your DH! Keep it going.

Wow Heather, your workout routine is amazing. And you got right back to it as soon as you got back from vacay - you are an inspiration!

My foci for this week will be planning and portion control (weigh and measure)!

Today’s reason to lose weight: Getting in and out of a kayak without looking so stupid.

Cindy in SoMD

14386427.png
  • funnygirl4000
    Options
    Helio ladies! Everyone's posts are so interesting & encouraging. I had a bad day yesterday when I went shopping for bathing suits (I am going on a cruise in March with 2 of my girls). I haven't gotten new swimwear in Many Years. OH MY!! I am three sizes bigger than I Thought I was. I know I have gained some weight in the last five years, but shopping for a flattering suit when you are over weight is a Real eye opening experience. And not in a good way. And anything that covers & holds in my flab & my 38DD chest looks like I am wrapped in yards & yards of fabric. I know I am 51 and I know I will look better after I lose some weight but I am so discouraged. I would love any suggestions & help. Any body have this same issue? What do you guys do??
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good morning to all you lovely ladies.

*Allison, if the glass door or shower curtain is for a tub/shower combo, I change my vote. I don’t know why my mind went to a standalone shower, but I think a curtain is so much more convenient if it’s for a tub. The glass doors even make it harder to clean the tub. Others have made a very good point about changing the curtain when the mood strikes you.

*Barbie, I know your line dance classes must be such fun. I wish I knew where some were around here. And what great exercise!

*Carol, I’m glad you are feeling better. Hopefully that will be the case each day until you are back to yourself.

*Carey, welcome. You are right about this group of supportive ladies and we are happy to have you join us. Please visit often and post when you feel like it.

*Sharon, hoping for a good outcome for your DS. I can’t even imagine how hard it must be to read all the lies.

*Allison, with the renovations, you will feel like you are living in a new house. Kitchens and baths make the most impact. Good for you.

*Joan, welcome to a very supportive group of ladies. You have come to the right place, so visit often and keep us posted of your progress.

*Helen, welcome to you as well. We would all love to be moving into spring!

*Cindy, good luck with your planning and portion control. That will be a big help in this journey. And, hey, if you get in and out of a kayak, you are doing more than many of us. Keep up the good work. You can do this.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Yesterday I was feeling the results of starting my very easy weight training but I was a good girl and did a little more than the day before. I was happy to wake up this morning and not be sore. It is amazing how the simplest exercise can tell us that muscles haven’t been challenged in a while. Now on to more.

I love all you wonderful ladies and I wish you all a very happy and healthy day.

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Joanncummings
    Options
    Helio ladies! Everyone's posts are so interesting & encouraging. I had a bad day yesterday when I went shopping for bathing suits (I am going on a cruise in March with 2 of my girls). I haven't gotten new swimwear in Many Years. OH MY!! I am three sizes bigger than I Thought I was. I know I have gained some weight in the last five years, but shopping for a flattering suit when you are over weight is a Real eye opening experience. And not in a good way. And anything that covers & holds in my flab & my 38DD chest looks like I am wrapped in yards & yards of fabric. I know I am 51 and I know I will look better after I lose some weight but I am so discouraged. I would love any suggestions & help. Any body have this same issue? What do you guys do??

• Joanncummings
    Options
    Oh that can be so discouraging with those full length mirrors. Do the things for yourself that make you feel strong and confident. Go on that cruise with your self esteem intact even if you wish you looked better.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Carey from Edmonton AB: Welcome to a wonderful group of women.

Michele: It sounds like the president of your homeowners association is a great guy, but I don’t understand Florida law that says you have to pay for the replacement of the vanity that was damaged by a neighbor’s plumbing issue. I hope you enjoy yourself at the races. I’ll be thinking of you and my neighbors who will also be at Daytona and hope you all have a great time. How do you deal with the noise at the racetrack? It seems like it would be painfully loud and potentially deafening. I was talking to DH about it the other day and we wondered whether the noise cancelling headsets that hunters and marksmen use would be effective at the Daytona. They supposedly block the percussion from gunfire while allowing conversation. I wonder if they’d do the same for engine noise.

Sylvia: I hope your DGD loves her piano lessons and practices. I wasted mine. I didn’t like the teacher and didn’t practice. My mom refused to teach me. At the time I was unhappy about it, but now I understand her decision. My real problem was that I never practiced. If your DGD comes to your studio to practice I bet she’ll do a lot better than I did. It will be special time with Grandma.

Yanniejannie: My riding instructor has decided to become a Veterinary Technician. There is a program and a nearby community college that will result in certification, and she’ll be helping at my Vet’s office as she goes along. It seems like a great match for her interests and abilities. She is magic with animals and passionate about their welfare.

Kim from N CA: I hope you’ll share your hiking adventures with us. It sounds like a great thing to do. Your part of CA is beautiful, with lots of good opportunities. Starting with 35 miles in the first week sounds daunting. Hot soaks in the tub and yoga would be my strategies to deal with the sudden increase in activity.

Joyce: Stay safe in the freezing rain. I think it is one of the most dangerous weather situations there is. You can’t actually see the places where ice forms a good bit of the time and falls can cause real damage, as I know from first hand experience.

Sharon in AB: I will keep your son’s situation in my prayers. I hope things come out well.

Joanncummings: Welcome to a great group. Join the conversations and you’ll get lots of support. You join this group simply by participating.

Cindy in S MD: Planning and portion control are great choices for focus. Portion control has been my primary weight loss strategy. I have food sensitivities that limit my choices anyway, so I didn’t want to reduce them further. I purchased a food scale and dishers to help with the portions. I’d recommend both. The food scale was relatively inexpensive, but the dishers are more costly. Dishers look like ice cream scoops and are used for portion standardization in the restaurant business. They’re a bit easier to use when dishing up things like potatoes, rice, and cottage cheese (or ice cream) than regular measuring cups.

Last night’s riding lesson was fun. Cantering, aka loping, was the objective. I managed to catch the rhythm again and that was very nice. I didn’t have control of the horse. My teacher had him on a longe line and we changed directions and speed at her whim. I told her at the beginning that I need to work on balance, and she is making it a primary objective. Yay! It is just what I need.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options

I buy a beautiful cover for when I'm not in the water who's going to notice the fabric when I'm in the water anyway and I try to remember that there are a ton of women who would kill to have my bra size B)

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hello ladies!

Dreamwriter ... communication... seems to be a dying art form.

Funnygirl4000 ... there's a site for suits of all sizes and shapes. The best part is the beautiful attitude the models have. Swimsuitsforall.com.

SCC1958 ... perfect response to funny girl!

Wow! First time I lost half of a post ... maybe for the best ... it was long! I'll just say thanks to those who gave work advice. It was a nasty week, but I got through it without stress eating! Yay! Thanks for being a sounding board!

Beth in Western New York where 18° feels like a heat wave!
  • MMinMD
    Options
    Katla - Thanks for the encouragement. I noticed you started yoga when you decided to lose weight. I tried it, but I am so huge, and such bad knees that there is not much I can do. Did you manage to do yoga when you were really overweight??

Funnygirl 4000 – I wear a pair of light, fast drying black shorts over my suit. And sometimes a terry cover up if it’s a little cool.

Cindy in SoMD
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,264 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Cindy - I started yoga at my fattest, and could do only the basics, but my teacher is brilliant at adapting postures for disabilities. Many of our ladies are over 70 and have all sorts of things wrong with them. You just have to find the right teacher. It has made an enormous difference to me.

Sharon - feeling for you and your son. :flowerforyou: It will all work out I am sure. Just remember, eating won't help with the stress. (*)

Funnygirl - I well remember those days of just feeling horrible in anything I went to buy. I often came home in a deep depression. :cry: Just find a really nice sarong and brave it out! :flowerforyou: At least it's really good motivation not to est too much on your hols!

I started a new habit today, based on all the habit books I have been reading on my Kindle. The one I have at the moment suggests apportioning tasks according to their importance and the energy that you have at different times of dsy. Thus, the most important tasks at time of peak energy. I have long known that my peak time is in the morning, but my exercise regime has taken up some of that time. After my exercise I was tending to reward myself with getting on to MFP and writing my daily post. From today I have decided to use that time to type out my novel, which is my current most imprtant task. It worked well todsy. I did about 40 mins and still had the energy to do some admin and print out stuff. I hope I can make this a new habit. Prioritising and planning according to the day's energy levels seems to work for me. By the afternoon I am whacked, so less important jobs can be done then.
    He also suggests planning meals and cooking them ahead to allow for the slump in energy before dinner time. I nearly always have my dinner prepped and sometimes on the hob straight after lunch or it would not get done. I couldn't face cooking a full meal at 6 o'clock. :noway: Today I had the meal done by 2 pm.
    The book is called, Levelling Up Your Day.
    I have always had a love/hate relationship with my writing and tend to make all sorts of excuses not to do it. As it vitally important to my sense of self I hope I can stick to this new regime and make it a good HABIT. :drinker: o:)

LOVE to all. DH returning in a minute from football. His team lost today to their nearest rivals. :cry:

Heather in springlike and flowery Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • Breezy3
    Breezy3 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am so frustrated right now because I cannot find how to get to the page where a bunch of ladies that have motivated me through all of this are. And figuring out how to post, huh?

So here I am in a place where I can write something and wondering what am I doing wrong. When I click on any email links it just takes me to my page so that does not help me get to you all either. I used to be able to find you easily, no more. Please help.
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Greetings to all. I have missed too much to try to catch up but I did see the chicken fajita salad recipe posted by Mary in Minnesota. Thanks so much! I will be sure to try it.

I have been really struggling right now with this knee issue. I really feel like giving up and think "what's the point" when I can't really exercise well right now. Any thing I do results in a screaming knee. I just did 30 minutes on my new recumbent cross trainer, and now the knee is up on ice and I'm full of ibuprofen. I can't seem to find appropriate foods either. Having to limit carbs is tough because I'd love to be a "fruit-atarian"!

Work has been an issue recently too. Yesterday ended with me having a melt down in my boss's office. My boss is great and so is everyone else, but the program director I work under is always demeaning me and my work and I end up feeling blamed for everything. So we ended the meeting with her agreeing to stop emailing me and come talk to me in person because she thinks her communication style is better suited to that v. sending long, personal, and insulting emails. Which she says she doesn't mean...so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and try to start over with her.

DD#1 is full of drama again as usual. Yesterday she wanted to move back in with us...um, no.....the bf never stays home. so hubby went over there and had a little intervention. Turns out the bf wants to be gone all the time because all they do is fight. He denies not wanting to care for the baby but says he doesn't want her around all the fighting all the time. They keep talking about counseling but haven't gone. Their duplex is tiny and dark, neither or them has a job, and they just stay there together all the time, until he leaves. So DH was very blunt, telling both of them to get jobs...any job...take turns taking the baby so the other one can go out, and go to counseling.....OR....give the baby up for adoption because they obviously cannot handle this situation. The bf was crying but DD#1 just sat there like a stone, so who knows what will happen. But he also made it clear, no coming back, no even for a night.

Well DH just pulled in from grocery shopping...he offered so I didn't have to do it this week to give my knee a break....so I'm heading out to put the food away. Take care all of you. Meg from sort-of-sunny Omaha.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    MMinMD wrote: »
    Katla - Thanks for the encouragement. I noticed you started yoga when you decided to lose weight. I tried it, but I am so huge, and such bad knees that there is not much I can do. Did you manage to do yoga when you were really overweight??

Funnygirl 4000 – I wear a pair of light, fast drying black shorts over my suit. And sometimes a terry cover up if it’s a little cool.

Cindy in SoMD

I am in agreement with Heather. Find a yoga teacher who will help you as you are now. When I started yoga I was more than 70 pounds overweight, had injured knees, and was a mess in general. My yoga teacher was brilliant at helping her students adapt and do what they could do. Over time I was able to do the moves better. It was nearly a year later that I found MFP and started taking off the weight. That was a significant help, too. My teacher had a change of careers and I now go to a gym with instructors who also help students adapt as needed so they can do what they are able to do at the moment and improve with time and practice. The morning classes are filled with retirees and are very supportive. Some of the same teachers also teach in the evening but those classes are full of younger folks. I suspect they are more vigorous. I know the evening Zumba class was too much for my friend. I'm not interested in going to them because I want evening time with DH. At this point I've lost the weight. One knee will always be a concern, but I'm using the yoga to help strengthen the muscles and ligaments. It is functional.