WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2105

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,297 Member
    Options
    Good morning all.
    My body clock is all mixed up since the holiday and I have been waking up at 4 - 5 am. I have gone back to sleep a couple of days, but I am so tired in the evening. Yesterday I fell asleep in the afternoon and slept for too long, so I guess this time it is my own fault.
    - As I don't have to pilot an airplane or do a brain operation I don't worry about it too much, but it is difficult when DH is sleeping soundly and I don't wan't to wake him up. I am now in the spare room trying to type quietly! :p
    -
    My old schoolfriend popped in yesterday on her way home, so that was nice. She is off next week to see her son and new grandchild in Hong Kong for three weeks. Happy for her as she is estranged from her model daughter and never gets to see those grandchildren. :'( It causes her a lot of pain.

Patty - glad to see you back. (*) A few people were asking about you. Glad to hear you are still doing the teaching. Sounds like you will have to reorganise your eating regime and have a really good look at it if you want to lose the weight. I have found the "habit forming" books I have been reading really helpful. It is clear that we cannot rely on motivation or willpower when it comes to healthy eating, we really do need to develop good habits and understand our triggers. Planning is vital. Remember, if you can't stick to it then don't start it. No one food is the enemy, our bad habits are. :flowerforyou:

Kim _ can you take a banana with you? Fruit? A bag of crunchy veggies? I use Quest bars in a travelling emergency, but they are expensive, but very filling. 170 cals. The cinnamon roll ones are the best. Just picture those fast food joints as evil, exploitative, poison vendors who are out to line their own pockets by fattening up your beautiful country and paying their workers poverty wages. Yuk! Disgusting! Bleh! With your cooking skills maybe you could batch bake some zucchini tots and take a few out of the freezer with some veggies. That should see you through. I'm not sure that eating on the move is a great habit to get into though, :( , so if you could find a quiet space to sit before you get into the car and savour what you have brought with you, perhaps with a little pot of calorie free dip, that would be a better habit. <3 I get the knee trembles when I am hungry so I know what you mean. My DH never feels like that. He's like a camel.

Today I will reinforce my newly started habit by typing my novel for at least half an hour as soon as my exercise is over. We have last night's left overs for lunch, Easy Crustless Spinach and Feta Pie. Delicious! Any Newbies who don't know about it, skinnytaste.com is a great website for low calorie variations on favourite foods. She has stuff for Thanksgiving, ballgames, parties etc. Not low on sodium if that is an issue, but tasty. She has veggie stuff. With the pie, which is more like a cake, I had peri peri sauce and a tomato, cucumber, garlic and scallion salsa, with a spray of balsamic vinegar and seasoning. I made DH some boiled new potatoes as he has to eat more than me. He has mango chutney with his. The cake is portioned for six, but we eat two portions each for dinner. I still came in at less than 300 cals.
    Tonight's food will be fish, but I haven't decided what. ( We keep a lot of fish in the freezer) Might make a fish curry - they were so delicious on holiday.

Love to all. I see on my computer that my DDIL is on line at 6.15. She has two young children and gets up before them to intensively exercise for 12 minutes (!) and get some admin done. Discipline and good habits. When I was her age I was a complete mess, severely depressed and chaotic. I was barely clinging on. So there is hope for us all!

Heather in chilly, but springlike Hampshire in the south of the UK.

• dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone for your words of support and for your prayers for my DS and his daughter and this whole messed up situation.

Katla - Reading about your riding lessons makes me happy for you. I grew up around horses and rodeo. My Dad was very good at training horses for a variety of uses, pleasure, cutting, etc. We kids spent a lot of time riding other people's horses but I am sorry to say that my riding days are long behind me. There are times I am tempted to go against Dr.'s orders.

Heather - I saw your reminder too late. The stress of recent events probably contributed to me far exceeding my calorie goal. Lunch out, dinner ordered in. Tomorrow is a new day. Yoga and cardio for me.

Alison- Renovations are always a headache. DH has always been a contractor so I once live through a year long bathroom reno because he had to keep leaving to work on other people's projects. Hang in there, it will be worth it in the end.

YannieJannie - DS has sat down with HER info and is going through each statement and addressing it either with his answer or a plan.

Mary - How wonderful to get a photo of DGS's first basket! He must be so proud.

Today was Play Day at work so lots of activities and giveaways. We all work the pink Be a Buddy Not a Bully T-shirts. We will wear them again on Wed. to raise awareness.
    Then lunch out with DS where we tried to talk about something besides his situation and Tuesday. DGD provided us with some entertainment and laughs. She is just so precious.
    Home to veg out for a while. I watched Mr. Peabody and Sherman with DGD while her Daddy napped. She was supposed to nap but didn't.
    The other DGC arrived and we ordered Chinese food. It was good as usual but I know it isn't the best for me. DD has gone to a Mardi Gras event with a good friend. DSIL was at a fishing conclave because he had committed last year. He still worked relentlessly to make this event a success for the Kinsmen.
    DGD's entertained with rousing renditions of the ABC song and One, Two buckle My Shoe followed by showing off how their splits are coming along. DGS decided to make us a healthy dessert. Apple, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, brown sugar sauteed in butter. Not sure how healthy that really was but his grin was so wide that I could not rain on his parade. We played a couple games of checkers before he hit the hay.
    Keeping you all in my prayers, this staying healthy is a difficult thing but together we will do this.
    - Sharon in Alberta
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Sylvia: love the plane joke!
    Kim: with you on the snacks. Curious about suggestions.

Anyone successfully using the community on an iOS device? Where IS it?

It looks like the job will continue through June 1; then I will enter the paid one-year path to try to find me a new job. I am afraid I will be giving up flexible hours and working at home, though, which worries me.

Hope we all have a good day.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    a quick hello today..
    well we have made a decision and getting the wall microwave oven... but the one in the best shape at sears outlet is 2 hours away,, guess who is taking a road trip after a snowstorm today? We are :o dont want to spent the 100.00 to have it shipped.. they open at 10 so hubby is out snowblowing, as it is warming up this snow is the heart attack kind very very heavy.. so I am going out to do more shoveling, and then we will go.. wish us luck... will check in later.. he wants to get back to watch the race..
    Michelle have a good time. we have the scanner too..
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    A foggy, rainy day here and in the 50's! So glad to get out of the deep freeze.

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    My goodness I thought I would never catch up here? Left on Feb 14th for Needles, CA. Did a little visiting, shopping, golf, touring…..and home on Feb 19th. Snowing when I left and raining and snowing when we landed. It was so beautiful to sit on the deck in the morning and look at the Colorado River. The neighbours had a hummingbird feeder out and the hummers would fight over it. Tried to walk every morning and get my 10,000 steps in each day and make good food choices. Gained 3 pounds, I am sure that will come off when I get back to “normal” eating. Vegetables and fruits on the menu for kick start.

Looks like people are getting crappy weather … -30 C here this morning. And off to the curling rink for one game possibly two, semi-final in the A.

As I skimmed through posts….

Bears – we don’t have a lot of them. We usually see one or two a year. Everyone says they would be more scared of me than me of them…. HOWEVER… if you get between moms and babies that is a different story.

Mary – Thank you for the update on your progress. So many people think that weight loss comes in a pill. I will pass on your experience on to a friend who lost a lot of weight and feels she should have surgery to remove the excess skin. The doctor told her she had to wait a year…. I am thinking that is so she exercises the skin tighter.

Leslie (((hugs))) so sorry to hear about Mildred.

Karen in Central VA – LOVE the Costco story, sooooo hilarious!!!!

Carey in Edmonton – nice place to visit. I see on the news this morning they will be stepping up security at West Edmonton Mall…because of the terrorism threats on malls around the world. Oh dear!!

Sharon in Lethbridge - (((hugs)))

Funnygirl – Bathing suit shopping is so scary. I think that sizing has changed!!! I bought a two piece suit, the bottom has a skirt. I have seem other ones that are a one piece with a draped look. I didn’t try it on but would be slimming looking I would think.

To everyone I missed - take care - this is a comforting place to be.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Still no rain here; we seem to be in a sliver of dry on the radar..........very foggy though.

Kim..........Popcorn(plain) or an apple, a Wasa multigrain wafer eaten slowly with water (great crunch and lots of chewing and quite filling), but something "sharp" helps me personally best.......like a spoonful of Parmesan and a few jalapeno stuffed olives. Good luck. If I do stop at MickyD's, I get a grilled chickem wrap, open it, scrape the barbque sauce off with a straw, and squeeze the chicken to one end of the wrap and end up eating only half of the wrap........if really dying of hunger, I get two, combine the chicken and ditch the other wrap entirely. I have stopped at grocery stores and bought a single banana or individual yogurt too.
    Good for you for making the effort to add friends to your circle. I thnk that was excellent advice that you received!!!

Sylvia........Your poor son!!! Hope he recovers quickly. Please don't overdo yourself!

Sharon.........Glad you son has a plan to counter the attacks on him.

Cynthia.........Here's a few more ((((((hugs))))))......

On to the laundry!!
    Hunger is not an emergency......just feels like one sometimes.....
    Determined.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic......celebrating 50 degrees!!!!!
  • k2boxlady
    Options
    Good morning. Just a quick funny to say what I really feel....4zao3vi47khr.jpg
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good morning to all you lovely ladies.

*Heather, your plan for your new habit sounds great. I always have to do the important things in the mornings because I am often useless after lunch. Good going!
    Thanks for all the good info on Habits. Please keep sharing as you read more.

*Meg, so sorry about your knee! I know that has to be awful. I’m glad you had a meeting with your pro dir and hopefully that will solve the problem. Also hope the intervention helped with the kids. Thinking of you.

*Stephie
    , welcome and I hope you come often. I’ll tell you, I don’t know if I could do it without this wonderful group of ladies.

*Pip, I love that picture of your dog and his bear.

*Patty, welcome back and good luck with getting that weight moving.

*Carol
    , good for you on doing some exercise. I always think that a little is better than none. Hope you were able to get the steps in like you wanted.

*yannie, I’m so glad that Gemma is working out so well. She’s lucky to have you.

*Sylvia, DH and I have “day dates” and they aren’t as exciting as yours. Today we went to Costco and had lunch before we did our shopping. I love their chicken Caesar salads and always take my own dressing. It is so big that I bring enough home for two more meals. I liked the joke, as always.

*Thlavallee, Welcome to this group of supportive women. Come often and they will help keep you on track.

*Mary, how exciting for your DGS and for you to be there. He will always remember that shot.

*Sharon, how wonderful to spend time with the Grands. The apple dish sounds great, but of course I would use artificial sweetener rather than sugar. And yes, I would have eaten it, too since DGS made it. How sweet.

*Allison, the microwave sounds like a good decision. I hope you have a safe trip to get it. BTW, do you have pictures of the kitchen and bath for before and after views?

*Lillian, I know you must have enjoyed the weather on your trip. I so hope this front moving in tonight is going to be the last Hurrah for this winter.

*Boxlady, I feel the same way. Thanks for sharing. :p

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I didn’t ride my cross trainer (DH calls it my “Horse”) yesterday as my day date with DH interfered. I did get in some intermittent weight training but not nearly enough. Today is back to it and add to weight exercises. I am losing so slowly now, but still losing, so I have to be diligent about exercising. I had actually stopped loosing before the cruise and wonder if the increased calories for a week could have given me a jump start? Our bodies are such complex machines that who knows what triggers things. All I know is that this thing works if we just stick to it. I am still so surprised that I rarely feel hungry while eating only 1200 calories. If I just have to munch on something my go to has become baby carrots. They aren’t high in calories and give the crunch along with the experience.

I love all you wonderful ladies and I wish you all a very happy and healthy day.

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Breezy: Click the star at the top of the page you want to be able to find.It will turn yellow. For this group, you'll need to do it at the beginning of each month. When you log in, click the gray star at the upper left quarter of the Community page. It will take you to your most recent post.

Meg: Sending virtual hugs. How long until you can have surgery? Pain is not good for health and happiness. It takes all the available energy that you want to use for personal relationships.

Patty: Welcome back.

Sylvia: What is a Martindale collar? I LOVE today’s joke about the pilot getting directions in the fog. This is laugh out loud finny. I even read it out loud to DH and shared it with friends via email.

Barbie: I’ll bet your presentation was the very best one. Congratulations on making it through a stressful day.

Michele: Thanks for telling me about the scanners with headphones. They would make a huge difference in a person’s comfort and ability to enjoy the races.

Mary: Three cheers for perfect timing of your photo of DGS’s first basket! That is wonderful and will make a lovely wall decoration.

Kim: I keep Quaker breakfast bars in both of our cars. One bar is about 90 calories and will stop an insulin reaction for DH, and take the hunger edge off for me until it is time for a meal. Here are some other snack ideas: one medium apple, carrots, celery, hard-boiled egg, string cheese snack stick. Choose, the protein you like best and fill up with veggies. Log every bite and swallow.

Heather: Your description of fast food companies is spot on. They are exploitative poison vendors who fatten the population and pay their employees poverty wages. Subway is not included in that group in my opinion. I don’t know how they treat their employees, but the food includes healthy choices.

Sharon in Alberta: You time with the DGC sounds wonderful.

Cynthia: On my iphone I click on “more” and there is a list. Community is on that list and this group is part of community.

I spent the day yesterday power washing our deck and got about half done. I plan to finish today. I sure am sore this morning! I am here to tell you that power washing burns a LOT of calories.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It looks like they are calling for snow today. More joy. I'm supposed to drive about an hour away for a clay club meeting this afternoon, so I hope it holds off till I get home.

Katla, a Martingale collar is one that doesn't have a buckle. It has a solid strap around the front with two metal rings at each end, through which a loop of strapping goes. There is a metal ring on the loop which is where the leash clips on. So, when the dog pulls, the loop closes up and the collar stops right behing their ears. So, dogs with heads smaller than their necks can't pull back out of their collars. I've heard them called "humane choke collars", but if they are adjusted properly there is no choking. Whippets and greyhounds use them, as well as some other breeds. Molly sometimes loses hers in the yard when she bends down, and since it's not being held taut by a leash, it just slides down her neck and past her dainty little head. We go on scavenger hunts looking for it. Bruno and Spot have regular collars and they never slide off.

Well, the dryer just stopped. Gotta get to work. Have a great day!

Sylvia

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's joke of the day:

:)

During a visit to the mental asylum, a visitor asked the Director what the criterion was which defined whether or not a patient should be institutionalized.

"Well," said the Director, "we fill up a bathtub; we then offer a teaspoon, a teacup, and a bucket to the patient and ask him or her to empty the bathtub."

"Oh, I understand," said the visitor. "A normal person would use the bucket because it's bigger than the spoon or the teacup."

"No." said the Director, "A normal person would pull the plug. Do you want a bed near the window?"

:D
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Sylvia.........You are on a roll; second day in a row that DH laughed at the joke.........he's a hard nut to crack.
  • SelenaP63
    SelenaP63 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Meg You and your husband are rockstars. It is not easy to parent grown kids, especially when they have kids. We all want to protect and save them but that never works and they only end up resenting us for what we didn't do and seldom are grateful for what we did do. I admire you both for being emotionally supportive but honest about the situation.

Funnygirl I so understand the expectation of slipping on a swimsuit only to be shocked by the reality that 50+ years and 6 children (and less than stellar eating habits) have not done my body any favors. However, and this is a big however, my guess is you look better than you think and if you've ever noticed at the beach/pool, there are some ladies who rock the attitude that they "are all that AND a bag of chips!". Regardless of their shape, they exude confidence and have a really great time. Invest in a couple of sarongs that you think are lovely and learn a couple of different ways to wear them over your suit when not in the water. You'll feel pretty and tropical!

Just one more thought on body image. My favorite body part is my lungs, because they have never failed me whether I was hiking in Utah, building a road on a mountainside with a pick-ax in Peru or shoveling 2 feet of snow off a sidewalk in Alberta. My body is amazing! It's carried 6 healthy children to term, my legs get me wherever I need to go and my arms have cradled grand babies, lifted and carried things too heavy for others and dispensed hugs freely. I haven't always treated it with the respect it deserves, with the respect I deserve, but today is a new day and I resolve to be grateful for every miraculous thing my body does for me every single day, some things without me even having to think about. I appreciate this opportunity to develop healthier habits, make healthier choices and become stronger with every choice.

I appreciate your examples and your support. Have an amazing and successful day!

That is all.

Selena
    Utah
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,297 Member
    Options
    Good joke Sylvia!

Did my typing today. o:) I actually enjoyed it! The secret is not to attempt too large a chunk and to do it at peak energy. :happy:

The fish curry was deeeevine! I had a tablespoon of rice with it and some yoghourt raita. Heaven for less than 400 cals. :bigsmile:

I was just running myself a bath at 5 o'clock, having caught up with some of my tv programmes, when my son rang to rearrange a visit we were hoping for soon. Basically they have put it off unyil the 22nd March, a Sunday. Sundsy is not good for us, but that's what they want. :ohwell: They need us to come up so they can go together to choose stuff for their kitchen extension which is happening in April. They are feeling under pressure as both have very busy schedules and jobs and wilk be going on holidsy while the bulk of the work is being done to get out of the mess. They have a lot of decisions to make.
    I was not only naked, but I had a face pack on and was runningbround the house trying to sort out a dste with DH and feeling aggrieved it wasn't sooner. :ohwell: Then DS told me that his dad, my ex, was in hospital with kidney trouble. Apparently he had been ill for 4 weeks and has been in hospital for 5 dsys. They think it might be a reaction to the drugs he is taking for his stent. He is having a biopsy tomorrow. I had just today emailed him to demand he do something about the money he owes me, a legacy from his mother. :embarassed: I was a bit rude as I had no idea he was ill. :embarassed: We parted on good terms and I grieved the marriage for 4 years. We were married for 28 years and were good friends. Can't help worrying. I will send a card. :cry:

Love to all, Heather in rainy Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sun.Back is sore,not sure what I did.Been working on cards for special kids.made 50 in 2 days.
    HUGS
    jane
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Cynthia: On my iphone I click on “more” and there is a list. Community is on that list and this group is part of community.
    Nope. Under More I've got My Profile, Goals, Food, Reminders, Steps, Friends, Messages, Apps, Settings and Help. I wonder whether it's a geographical thing; maybe not all areas are getting the Community at the same time. Grrr.
    Cynthia

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,073 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon,

Having a cup of tea flavored with cinnamon and vanilla. :drinker: while I read posts.
    Up to 5 degrees. It was minus 10 this morning. Stayed home from church. I do not like to sing when it is this cold. The air is too dry.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,626 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day:
    Jog 1/4 w/yogi round track 1.48min= 20 cal

Hop/skip/scissors/Hop backwards/single leg double, balancing round gym basketball court- 63min = 554cal

Other- yard work- 16min = 53cal
    Total cal= 627
  • cherylreedau99
    cherylreedau99 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    DamitJanit wrote: »
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

**Thank you Barbie. (*)

*Yannie, how nice of you to volunteer to be out in the cold. By the time you read this, I hope you have warmed up.

*srclark, welcome to the group. I have 3 dogs but only one of them is our garbage disposal. We never have food go to waste and it doesn’t have to go in my mouth.  We’re glad to have you join us. Hope you visit and post often.

*SueBDue, we used to shop at HEB a thousand years ago where I grew up in Texas. I haven’t seen them in any of the other states that we’ve lived in and your post sent me on a trip down memory lane.

*fatchimom, welcome and good for you…No chips at a Mexican restaurant> Wow, not sure I could do that.

*Barbie, nice handiwork! Enjoy the game. (I’m wondering where do you find the time? You are always on the go.)

*Shanyn, isn’t it nice to know you are getting better each day. It will eventually become natural to eat right. And yes, most of us have some days harder than others, but they just make me enjoy the easy ones more. Keep up the good work.

*Mary, it must be wonderful to look good in a swim suit. Good for you!!! I’m looking better in my pants, but have a ways to go before I look good in a suit.

*Leslie, I’m so glad to hear that Mildred is still enjoying life even though she has her ups and downs. I guess that is all any of us can ask when we get really old. What fun for dogs that love the water. 

My wish is that we all have a wonderful and successful February, whatever our goals.

My goals for February are:
    Exercise 30 minutes a day at least 5 days a week.
    Drink 8 or more glasses of water a week.
    Stay reasonable with eating on cruise.
    Lose at least 6 pounds from current weight.

My word for now is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    But, I also like opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and then choose them. Life is full of options and I want to take the good ones.

Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC