Looking to lose 100+ pounds... the healthy way!

Options

Replies

• inchwormbyinchworm
    inchwormbyinchworm Posts: 180 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Jonesm97,
    You just started, right? You could maybe start by not adding back in your exercise calories (the getting started forum thread "sexy pants" recommends counting only half the exercise calories against your calories in, anyway).
    Then, if you're still feeling good, inch your way down?
    (Disclosure: I fall off the wagon counting calories, so what do I know?)
  • KenDubya74
    KenDubya74 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm also trying to shed 100+ lbs , lost 135 before and have gained 65 back :-( but still here to fightthe battle....always looking for more support and motivation, feel free to add me!
  • dillons1228
    dillons1228 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @jonesm97‌ my calorie allotment is the same. I guess as we lose weight it will go down. One Thing I'm not sure is what percentage of carbs/fat/protein those calories should be. Any idea?
  • dillons1228
    Options
    @shirayne‌ I do have a crockpot but I am no gourmet chef to put it mildly. Any suggestions would be Great! :)
  • 2run2ski
    2run2ski Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    nikkisl37 wrote: »
    Hello everyone i am starting in this journey and would like to.lose 100 pounds as well. I am at my heaviest at 277 and my goal weight is 160 of possible. I would like to add some.of you that have already began and started the journey. I have started a low carb lifestyle. This is my second day on it and needs ideas to help me with my water consumption as well.
    The first thing I do when I get up in the morning is drink 1 cup of water. I'm half asleep so I don't even notice it! :) I also have water bottles galore so that I'm transporting water everywhere with me. It helps me keep track of what I've consumed, too.
  • 2run2ski
    Options
    I am in the same boat as many of you. I need to lose at least 100lbs. Food has been a life time struggle for me. I'm not a very good cook so the food prep and nutrition aspect is overwhelming to me. I am not sure what the percentage of carbs/fats/proteins I am supposed to be eating a day or what the appropriate grams of sugar you are supposed to eat each day? Any friend requests and suggestions would be appreciated.
    Keep it really simple at first. Think of one thing you want to do this week and work at that. (I'm thinking water) If you're up to some exercise, go for a walk a couple times this week. Next week, add something else. For instance, decide that you're going to eat nutrish breakfasts everyday or 4 out of 7 meals. All I"m trying to say is do this incrementally...

You can do this!! We're all here to give you support! :)
  • shreddedtrooper
    shreddedtrooper Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Consider flexible dieting and meeting nutrional requirements and nutrional guidelines. etc.

This will make your "diet" not really a diet and it'll be more sustainable in the long run believe me :) best of luck out there.
  • shirayne
    shirayne Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Good evening and welcome to all who are new to this thread! It's kinda funny. I noticed that many of us have lost a bunch of weight and gained back half. What is it about gaining half back that triggers us to start again??? :)

@dillons1228‌: Do you have flavors you prefer or some you don't like at all? I'm happy to share some recipes. :) I have a great turkey chili recipe if you like chili.
  • jonesm97
    jonesm97 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes. I started less than a month ago. I guess I can't rush this. :( I am excited to see the difference.
  • danielle7577
    danielle7577 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    @Jonesm97 When I started I was losing at 2200 calories a day. It is just a slow process for me. My body works in shifts. I build muscle then I burn off some calories. Build more muscles lose more weight. Right now my calorie input is around 1900. But I am pretty active daily. No less then an hour of cardio a day. Plus, active at work. It will happen. Just stick to it!
  • 2run2ski
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @jonesm97 It WILL happen! You're doing so well! I think we all want instant change, but that's not realistic. Our habits change slowly. :)

@shirayne I have a few different breakfasts that I totally groove on. The first one I'll post is IMHO fabulous. Toast 2 Eggo Nutri-grain LF waffles and put 1/2 cup blueberries (I use frz), 3 T cottage cheese, 1.5 T walnuts (about 8g), 1 T lite maple syrup, cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. It's what I had for brekkie this morning. Yum. Yum. Yum. And it fills you up, too. I calculate it at 275 cal. If you need more cals or protein, just up the cottage cheese.
  • shirayne
    Options
    It's so easy to second guess everything we're doing. I got on the scale this morning (big mistake) and it showed I'd gained 3 pounds... How is that even possible?! I started to question what I ate, if I calculated everything, if the calorie values are accurate, if the food I ate last night was heavier than my usual dinner... The list of questions is never ending. I know it's probably a false reading based on food consumption and water but it's still a hard pill to swallow. But when things like that happen, we have to believe in the process, keep moving forward and wait until weigh in morning to get on that darn scale. :)
  • 2run2ski
    edited March 2015
    Options
    shirayne wrote: »
    It's so easy to second guess everything we're doing. I got on the scale this morning (big mistake) and it showed I'd gained 3 pounds... How is that even possible?! I started to question what I ate, if I calculated everything, if the calorie values are accurate, if the food I ate last night was heavier than my usual dinner... The list of questions is never ending. I know it's probably a false reading based on food consumption and water but it's still a hard pill to swallow. But when things like that happen, we have to believe in the process, keep moving forward and wait until weigh in morning to get on that darn scale. :)
    Yes!! It's too easy to get bummed out over that number staring up at us. You are doing great! Keep moving forward! :) BTW, can I have that chili recipe you mentioned up above?
  • mrsmuzzy24
    mrsmuzzy24 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody! I am in the same situation of trying to lose about 100. I am currently 267 and my healthy weight would be 160. At this point I would love to get back to 199! I am a food addict/lover. I am a wife, a mom of three little ones aged 4, 2, 1, and I work full-time . I have been on the road to become a healthier person since about November. We got a membership at a health club and I have been making it there about 3 times a week for about an hour. I can tell a difference in not being winded with going up stairs and I am enjoying exercising more. I signed up for my first 5k for this summer to push me. Despite the exercise, I haven't really lost any weight. I am finally motivated to make the food changes necessary. I am trying to avoid white carbs as much as possible, and eat more veggies and protein. I am on a 1500 calorie plan. I am pre-diabetic so I need to do this for me and my kids.

I added a bunch of you as friends to help motivate me and keep me going! Thanks for the support!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Walking consistently and tracking what you eat. Good Luck on your journey,
  • 2run2ski
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @MrsMuzzy24
    I think you're doing it just right! A little bit at a time and adding something new when you feel ready! :)

• dillons1228
    Options
    @shirayne‌ love chilli thanks for sharing
  • jonesm97
    jonesm97 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This is why I highly enjoy this group. Always so positive and motivating. :)
  • shirayne
    Options
    Evenin' all! I'll post my crock-pot chili recipe before the weekend for those of you who are interested. Seems like everyone is doing well today so I'm sending positive vibes for tomorrow! We are worth it!
  • danielle7577
    danielle7577 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    @mrsmuzzy24‌ I know what it's like to juggle work, my son, and my health. It takes effort but it gets easier. Did you measure so you could see if you are losing inches? You are doing great getting to the gym! I'm on a 1900 calorie plan. But on high exercise days I eat closer to 2200. I make healthy choices. But I'm losing. Slowly but surely!