Can you really eat a burger?

1235728

Replies

  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Where people go overboard is taking in too many macros at once. Sure, have that 800 calorie burger, but if you are hungry in 4 hours, and you honor that, then where did that food go? Did it get used, or stored? In 4 hours, you would have to be very busy or vety overweight, bc bmr awake is usually in the 100-150 per hour range for people that are within 100 lbs overweight. So, if you are eating again, and the body hasnt fully metabolized that burger, that is where the burger will make you more overweight. It is why chips, hotdogs, ice cream, and soda make people overweight. They just have too much of it and it doesnt get metabolized and used as energy.

    No, when you have too much of something (anything), it gets stored as fat because you're eating more than you burn - so those extra calories don't get burned.

    OP, yes, if you'd like you can eat a cheeseburger. I had one on Sunday - my diary is wide open if you'd like to look at it.

    I like to pre-log my days, because meeting my nutritional goals is important to me. So I try to eat all the fat and protein I need, and the rest of the leftover calories I use at my discretion (like, ice cream last night).

    I've successfully lost 71 pounds so far.

    I was giving examples of food with those combinations...not an explicit list. Dont read too much into that. You guys that are saying I am wrong, you are pretty much saying what I just said, but in a different way...read it again, but slower.



    F No. You were completely wrong. You still are. Just STOP.

    Ok, point out my flaws. Educate me?

    You aren't gonna get fat if you're on a deficit and eat a bunch of calories in one go. You could eat your whole allotment in a single meal and you'd still lose.

    Yes, true. I was merely pointing to the fact that people who get overweight will eat more than they burn before the next meal, but wont have the control to compensate. You can eat nothing but pizza if you eat at a deficit, and eat 10 meals a day, and you will lose weight. But who eats ice cream in a huge portion and compensates for it? I never said CICO was not true.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Where people go overboard is taking in too many macros at once. Sure, have that 800 calorie burger, but if you are hungry in 4 hours, and you honor that, then where did that food go? Did it get used, or stored? In 4 hours, you would have to be very busy or vety overweight, bc bmr awake is usually in the 100-150 per hour range for people that are within 100 lbs overweight. So, if you are eating again, and the body hasnt fully metabolized that burger, that is where the burger will make you more overweight. It is why chips, hotdogs, ice cream, and soda make people overweight. They just have too much of it and it doesnt get metabolized and used as energy.

    No, when you have too much of something (anything), it gets stored as fat because you're eating more than you burn - so those extra calories don't get burned.

    OP, yes, if you'd like you can eat a cheeseburger. I had one on Sunday - my diary is wide open if you'd like to look at it.

    I like to pre-log my days, because meeting my nutritional goals is important to me. So I try to eat all the fat and protein I need, and the rest of the leftover calories I use at my discretion (like, ice cream last night).

    I've successfully lost 71 pounds so far.

    I was giving examples of food with those combinations...not an explicit list. Dont read too much into that. You guys that are saying I am wrong, you are pretty much saying what I just said, but in a different way...read it again, but slower.

    Not really. Your premise is that someone eats an 800 calorie burger and if they eat 4 hours later, they'll get fat because the body hasn't had time to metabolize that burger - it's wrong.

    You also said:
    It is why chips, hotdogs, ice cream, and soda make people overweight.

    Which is also false. None of these things make you overweight. Consuming too much makes you overweight, period.

    So if there's a point in there that I've missed, perhaps you should share it - because every one else seems to have missed it, too.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,577 Member
    GreenValli wrote: »
    My husband bought home Carl's Jr all natural burgers for dinner on Saturday night. He had a coupon for buy one, get one free. I looked up the calories and decided to eat half because the calorie count was 760 calories and I am 5'2" and try to stay on the lower calorie side, especially if I am not going to the gym that day. I had not gone to the gym and had not planned for that many calories! I had the other half for lunch the next day.

    To get to the point, I noticed on the bottom of the tracker that I was way, way over on fat. Since it was a burger, I know it was not GOOD fat. Since I have been very careful I will not worry about it, but I will not do that very often, even eating half.

    Just as many have said, yes, you can eat hamburgers. Just use wisdom and don't eat them too often. It is not just calories and weight, but your health that matters.

    OR, eat burgers that don't come from Carl Jr. ;)
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    We eat burgers pretty regularly. But I've figured out which restaurants will make it lettuce wrapped, which cuts down on the calories. I'm lactose intolerant, so I will often skip the cheese, which also helps.

    Fatburger is my current favourite, followed by Red Robin. YUM.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    jimmmer wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Where people go overboard is taking in too many macros at once. Sure, have that 800 calorie burger, but if you are hungry in 4 hours, and you honor that, then where did that food go? Did it get used, or stored? In 4 hours, you would have to be very busy or vety overweight, bc bmr awake is usually in the 100-150 per hour range for people that are within 100 lbs overweight. So, if you are eating again, and the body hasnt fully metabolized that burger, that is where the burger will make you more overweight. It is why chips, hotdogs, ice cream, and soda make people overweight. They just have too much of it and it doesnt get metabolized and used as energy.

    No, when you have too much of something (anything), it gets stored as fat because you're eating more than you burn - so those extra calories don't get burned.

    OP, yes, if you'd like you can eat a cheeseburger. I had one on Sunday - my diary is wide open if you'd like to look at it.

    I like to pre-log my days, because meeting my nutritional goals is important to me. So I try to eat all the fat and protein I need, and the rest of the leftover calories I use at my discretion (like, ice cream last night).

    I've successfully lost 71 pounds so far.

    I was giving examples of food with those combinations...not an explicit list. Dont read too much into that. You guys that are saying I am wrong, you are pretty much saying what I just said, but in a different way...read it again, but slower.



    F No. You were completely wrong. You still are. Just STOP.

    Ok, point out my flaws. Educate me?

    You aren't gonna get fat if you're on a deficit and eat a bunch of calories in one go. You could eat your whole allotment in a single meal and you'd still lose.

    Truth.

    I normally eat 2 big meals a day and I still lose (when I'm cutting) just fine.

    I do too. The point was missed. I am just letting it go. I am wrong. Dismiss what I say.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,147 Member
    Where people go overboard is taking in too many macros at once. Sure, have that 800 calorie burger, but if you are hungry in 4 hours, and you honor that, then where did that food go? Did it get used, or stored? In 4 hours, you would have to be very busy or vety overweight, bc bmr awake is usually in the 100-150 per hour range for people that are within 100 lbs overweight. So, if you are eating again, and the body hasnt fully metabolized that burger, that is where the burger will make you more overweight. It is why chips, hotdogs, ice cream, and soda make people overweight. They just have too much of it and it doesnt get metabolized and used as energy.

    No, when you have too much of something (anything), it gets stored as fat because you're eating more than you burn - so those extra calories don't get burned.

    OP, yes, if you'd like you can eat a cheeseburger. I had one on Sunday - my diary is wide open if you'd like to look at it.

    I like to pre-log my days, because meeting my nutritional goals is important to me. So I try to eat all the fat and protein I need, and the rest of the leftover calories I use at my discretion (like, ice cream last night).

    I've successfully lost 71 pounds so far.

    I was giving examples of food with those combinations...not an explicit list. Dont read too much into that. You guys that are saying I am wrong, you are pretty much saying what I just said, but in a different way...read it again, but slower.

    read it again ...

    still wrong..

    direct quote:

    "So, if you are eating again, and the body hasnt fully metabolized that burger, that is where the burger will make you more overweight. It is why chips, hotdogs, ice cream, and soda make people overweight"

    sorry it does not work that way. If said person in your quote is in a deficit then they will lose weight regardless of what type, or how fast, they consume calories...
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 415 Member
    TDEE isn't allocated hourly. It (as the name "total daily energy expenditure" suggests) simply represents how much energy (calories) one person expends in a typical day based upon BMR (which is also not an hourly rate) multiplied by our activity level (which is an average, per day). Why do people always try to argue about meal timing, etc. It's effect on the body is so miniscule that it's immaterial in most cases. Even professional bodybuilders who are extremely lean don't all follow meal timing.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,147 Member
    tmauck4472 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Yes

    That's not to say eat nothing but Frosted Flakes, pizza, cookies, and cheeseburgers all day every day. A lot of people who tout "clean eating" think those of us who don't only do this. We still focus on nutrients, but a treat in moderation that fits your calories/macros is also good.

    Clean eating isn't so much about the nutrients as it is about the lack of chemicals in the food. We know that we are still going to get some chemicals in foods but the less you consume we feel the better your body will feel. I know I've slacked off the clean eating and I'm struggling to control my weight and the cravings. Clean eaters get the same amt. of nutrients that everyone else does we just get less chemicals with them.

    all food has chemicals..

    and clean eating is useless and unnecessary
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 415 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Where people go overboard is taking in too many macros at once. Sure, have that 800 calorie burger, but if you are hungry in 4 hours, and you honor that, then where did that food go? Did it get used, or stored? In 4 hours, you would have to be very busy or vety overweight, bc bmr awake is usually in the 100-150 per hour range for people that are within 100 lbs overweight. So, if you are eating again, and the body hasnt fully metabolized that burger, that is where the burger will make you more overweight. It is why chips, hotdogs, ice cream, and soda make people overweight. They just have too much of it and it doesnt get metabolized and used as energy.

    No, when you have too much of something (anything), it gets stored as fat because you're eating more than you burn - so those extra calories don't get burned.

    OP, yes, if you'd like you can eat a cheeseburger. I had one on Sunday - my diary is wide open if you'd like to look at it.

    I like to pre-log my days, because meeting my nutritional goals is important to me. So I try to eat all the fat and protein I need, and the rest of the leftover calories I use at my discretion (like, ice cream last night).

    I've successfully lost 71 pounds so far.

    I was giving examples of food with those combinations...not an explicit list. Dont read too much into that. You guys that are saying I am wrong, you are pretty much saying what I just said, but in a different way...read it again, but slower.

    read it again ...

    still wrong..

    direct quote:

    "So, if you are eating again, and the body hasnt fully metabolized that burger, that is where the burger will make you more overweight. It is why chips, hotdogs, ice cream, and soda make people overweight"

    sorry it does not work that way. If said person in your quote is in a deficit then they will lose weight regardless of what type, or how fast, they consume calories...

    HA, this is becoming comical. He'll never admit his logic is twisted.

  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 46,320 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Where people go overboard is taking in too many macros at once. Sure, have that 800 calorie burger, but if you are hungry in 4 hours, and you honor that, then where did that food go? Did it get used, or stored? In 4 hours, you would have to be very busy or vety overweight, bc bmr awake is usually in the 100-150 per hour range for people that are within 100 lbs overweight. So, if you are eating again, and the body hasnt fully metabolized that burger, that is where the burger will make you more overweight. It is why chips, hotdogs, ice cream, and soda make people overweight. They just have too much of it and it doesnt get metabolized and used as energy.

    No, when you have too much of something (anything), it gets stored as fat because you're eating more than you burn - so those extra calories don't get burned.

    OP, yes, if you'd like you can eat a cheeseburger. I had one on Sunday - my diary is wide open if you'd like to look at it.

    I like to pre-log my days, because meeting my nutritional goals is important to me. So I try to eat all the fat and protein I need, and the rest of the leftover calories I use at my discretion (like, ice cream last night).

    I've successfully lost 71 pounds so far.

    I was giving examples of food with those combinations...not an explicit list. Dont read too much into that. You guys that are saying I am wrong, you are pretty much saying what I just said, but in a different way...read it again, but slower.



    F No. You were completely wrong. You still are. Just STOP.

    Ok, point out my flaws. Educate me?

    You aren't gonna get fat if you're on a deficit and eat a bunch of calories in one go. You could eat your whole allotment in a single meal and you'd still lose.

    Yes, true. I was merely pointing to the fact that people who get overweight will eat more than they burn before the next meal, but wont have the control to compensate. You can eat nothing but pizza if you eat at a deficit, and eat 10 meals a day, and you will lose weight. But who eats ice cream in a huge portion and compensates for it? I never said CICO was not true.
    If one is eating more than they burn by the next meal, yet still are in calorie deficit, weight loss will still occur. One DOESN'T have to burn off their last meal before eating another to lose weight if CICO is implemented. What is it that you're really trying to convey? Anyone that eats more than they burn will invariably gain weight and vice versa.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,999 Member
    Yes you can! And you'll probably find that allowing yourself to eat foods you love while staying within your calories makes it that much easier to stick with your weight loss program.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Of course. I manage to fit burgers, donuts, chocolate, fried foods, and ice cream into my goals regularly. I lost 30 lbs and reached goal doing it that way, too.

    Fitting a homemade cheeseburger into your goals should be fairly easy. Fast food burgers might make it more difficult, but it's so worth it. Yummy greasy goodness.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    tmauck4472 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Yes

    That's not to say eat nothing but Frosted Flakes, pizza, cookies, and cheeseburgers all day every day. A lot of people who tout "clean eating" think those of us who don't only do this. We still focus on nutrients, but a treat in moderation that fits your calories/macros is also good.

    Clean eating isn't so much about the nutrients as it is about the lack of chemicals in the food. We know that we are still going to get some chemicals in foods but the less you consume we feel the better your body will feel. I know I've slacked off the clean eating and I'm struggling to control my weight and the cravings. Clean eaters get the same amt. of nutrients that everyone else does we just get less chemicals with them.

    What do you mean by "chemical"? All food is made of chemical substances.

    SMH....chemicals as in the ones put in there to keep things from going bad, the ones that are in there to enhance the flavor. The red dyes and yellow dyes, the ones that keep your meat from turning grey. If I can have it fresh from the farmers market instead of fresh from a can I'd rather have that. If I can have it fresh from the butchers shop with grass fed animals then I'd rather have that (not that I can afford it) If I can have it fresh from MY garden then I'd rather have that. I hate the taste of anything that comes from a can. Even before I started on losing weight I refused to have veggies from a can, taste just yucky if you ask me. Not that I've given up everything, I still eat tunafish in a can, I still have my bacon and ham (one day I'll learn to smoke my own and won't have to buy the store bought stuff) I try not to eat anything from a box as in boxed potatoes, boxed mac and cheese, boxed cereals. I'm back to eating some of that stuff and I'm wondering if it's the reason I don't sleep at night or why I'm craving so much sugar.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,465 Member
    @rockstarwilson
    Where people go overboard is taking in too many macros at once. Sure, have that 800 calorie burger, but if you are hungry in 4 hours, and you honor that, then where did that food go? Did it get used, or stored?

    Different macros get metabolised at different rates, and the whole process takes about twelve hours.
    HowFastDigest.jpg

    If at any moment the body needs more nutrition than it can get directly from the digestive system, it will take from the fat and muscle stores.

    The visual that comes to mind is the leaky bucket, which in this case is not a bad thing. We have various food sources coming in, a storage system (the bucket), and constant energy demands (the leaks).

    RMILeakyBucket.jpg

    We aren't refreshing the entire system every four hours. That's why CICO works. It's a daily consumption that matters more and all it has to be overall is lower than our daily needs.
  • jc93230
    jc93230 Posts: 33 Member
    There is a reason Sundays are long run days and football days! Major calorie burn in the morning, and a feast in the afternoon! I don't stress the calories on those days, but am conscious of the fat and sodium i consume on those days.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,577 Member
    tmauck4472 wrote: »
    tmauck4472 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Yes

    That's not to say eat nothing but Frosted Flakes, pizza, cookies, and cheeseburgers all day every day. A lot of people who tout "clean eating" think those of us who don't only do this. We still focus on nutrients, but a treat in moderation that fits your calories/macros is also good.

    Clean eating isn't so much about the nutrients as it is about the lack of chemicals in the food. We know that we are still going to get some chemicals in foods but the less you consume we feel the better your body will feel. I know I've slacked off the clean eating and I'm struggling to control my weight and the cravings. Clean eaters get the same amt. of nutrients that everyone else does we just get less chemicals with them.

    What do you mean by "chemical"? All food is made of chemical substances.

    SMH....chemicals as in the ones put in there to keep things from going bad, the ones that are in there to enhance the flavor. The red dyes and yellow dyes, the ones that keep your meat from turning grey. If I can have it fresh from the farmers market instead of fresh from a can I'd rather have that. If I can have it fresh from the butchers shop with grass fed animals then I'd rather have that (not that I can afford it) If I can have it fresh from MY garden then I'd rather have that. I hate the taste of anything that comes from a can. Even before I started on losing weight I refused to have veggies from a can, taste just yucky if you ask me. Not that I've given up everything, I still eat tunafish in a can, I still have my bacon and ham (one day I'll learn to smoke my own and won't have to buy the store bought stuff) I try not to eat anything from a box as in boxed potatoes, boxed mac and cheese, boxed cereals. I'm back to eating some of that stuff and I'm wondering if it's the reason I don't sleep at night or why I'm craving so much sugar.

    If you want to limit man-added chemicals you should skip the grass fed meat and go for antibiotic, hormone and steroid free meat instead.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,564 Member
    I
    We eat burgers pretty regularly. But I've figured out which restaurants will make it lettuce wrapped, which cuts down on the calories. I'm lactose intolerant, so I will often skip the cheese, which also helps.

    Fatburger is my current favourite, followed by Red Robin. YUM.

    Sigh...love red robin

  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,147 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Where people go overboard is taking in too many macros at once. Sure, have that 800 calorie burger, but if you are hungry in 4 hours, and you honor that, then where did that food go? Did it get used, or stored? In 4 hours, you would have to be very busy or vety overweight, bc bmr awake is usually in the 100-150 per hour range for people that are within 100 lbs overweight. So, if you are eating again, and the body hasnt fully metabolized that burger, that is where the burger will make you more overweight. It is why chips, hotdogs, ice cream, and soda make people overweight. They just have too much of it and it doesnt get metabolized and used as energy.

    No, when you have too much of something (anything), it gets stored as fat because you're eating more than you burn - so those extra calories don't get burned.

    OP, yes, if you'd like you can eat a cheeseburger. I had one on Sunday - my diary is wide open if you'd like to look at it.

    I like to pre-log my days, because meeting my nutritional goals is important to me. So I try to eat all the fat and protein I need, and the rest of the leftover calories I use at my discretion (like, ice cream last night).

    I've successfully lost 71 pounds so far.

    I was giving examples of food with those combinations...not an explicit list. Dont read too much into that. You guys that are saying I am wrong, you are pretty much saying what I just said, but in a different way...read it again, but slower.



    F No. You were completely wrong. You still are. Just STOP.

    Ok, point out my flaws. Educate me?

    You aren't gonna get fat if you're on a deficit and eat a bunch of calories in one go. You could eat your whole allotment in a single meal and you'd still lose.

    Yes, true. I was merely pointing to the fact that people who get overweight will eat more than they burn before the next meal, but wont have the control to compensate. You can eat nothing but pizza if you eat at a deficit, and eat 10 meals a day, and you will lose weight. But who eats ice cream in a huge portion and compensates for it? I never said CICO was not true.

    do you even math?

    If Person's X TDEE with a 500 calorie deficit is 1500 calories a day and they eat a 500 calorie burger, 300 calories of fries and then an hour later eat another 700 calories and that is all they eat for the day then their TDEE will be 1500, which is a deficit, which means they will lose weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 40,993 Member
    So I have been doing this for a while and having great success. I have been doing P90 6 days a week and staying constantly at or below my calorie intake goals. Yesterday at work, a person told me that I could eat a cheeseburger if it fit within my calorie intake. Of course I started craving a nice burger but thought that was not a good idea?

    So I ask this question; can you really eat anything you want as long as you stay within your calorie allowance?

    what is inherently wrong with a burger?

    For my money, I prefer a homemade cheeseburger off my grill and some home fries. I do not care for fast food burgers...I don't even really consider them to be burgers...I don't know what they are, but they aren't burgers.

    I can make a kick *kitten* 93% bacon cheeseburger with a sprouted wheat bun and home fries and that will clock in around 600-700 calories...pretty much a normal meal.
    Where people go overboard is taking in too many macros at once. Sure, have that 800 calorie burger, but if you are hungry in 4 hours, and you honor that, then where did that food go? Did it get used, or stored? In 4 hours, you would have to be very busy or vety overweight, bc bmr awake is usually in the 100-150 per hour range for people that are within 100 lbs overweight. So, if you are eating again, and the body hasnt fully metabolized that burger, that is where the burger will make you more overweight. It is why chips, hotdogs, ice cream, and soda make people overweight. They just have too much of it and it doesnt get metabolized and used as energy.

    That's just....totally inaccurate. There, I was nice.
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Yes, true. I was merely pointing to the fact that people who get overweight will eat more than they burn before the next meal

    This is the part you are wrong. It has nothing to do with "between meals". You don't have to burn everything off from the previous meal before starting the next.

This discussion has been closed.