Can you really eat a burger?

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Where people go overboard is taking in too many macros at once. Sure, have that 800 calorie burger, but if you are hungry in 4 hours, and you honor that, then where did that food go? Did it get used, or stored? In 4 hours, you would have to be very busy or vety overweight, bc bmr awake is usually in the 100-150 per hour range for people that are within 100 lbs overweight. So, if you are eating again, and the body hasnt fully metabolized that burger, that is where the burger will make you more overweight. It is why chips, hotdogs, ice cream, and soda make people overweight. They just have too much of it and it doesnt get metabolized and used as energy.

No, when you have too much of something (anything), it gets stored as fat because you're eating more than you burn - so those extra calories don't get burned.

OP, yes, if you'd like you can eat a cheeseburger. I had one on Sunday - my diary is wide open if you'd like to look at it.

I like to pre-log my days, because meeting my nutritional goals is important to me. So I try to eat all the fat and protein I need, and the rest of the leftover calories I use at my discretion (like, ice cream last night).

I've successfully lost 71 pounds so far.

I was giving examples of food with those combinations...not an explicit list. Dont read too much into that. You guys that are saying I am wrong, you are pretty much saying what I just said, but in a different way...read it again, but slower.

F No. You were completely wrong. You still are. Just STOP.

Ok, point out my flaws. Educate me?

You aren't gonna get fat if you're on a deficit and eat a bunch of calories in one go. You could eat your whole allotment in a single meal and you'd still lose.

Truth.

I normally eat 2 big meals a day and I still lose (when I'm cutting) just fine.

I do too. The point was missed. I am just letting it go. I am wrong. Dismiss what I say.

I'm thinking the wording was really bad, but essentially people who are overweight don't always respond well to full signals, and so they can overeat. And they may eat on a schedule and eat because it's "dinner time" regardless of if they had a larger than normal lunch. And in that situation, they may consume more than their daily calories.

Maybe? Benefit of the doubt?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    tmauck4472 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Yes

That's not to say eat nothing but Frosted Flakes, pizza, cookies, and cheeseburgers all day every day. A lot of people who tout "clean eating" think those of us who don't only do this. We still focus on nutrients, but a treat in moderation that fits your calories/macros is also good.

Clean eating isn't so much about the nutrients as it is about the lack of chemicals in the food. We know that we are still going to get some chemicals in foods but the less you consume we feel the better your body will feel. I know I've slacked off the clean eating and I'm struggling to control my weight and the cravings. Clean eaters get the same amt. of nutrients that everyone else does we just get less chemicals with them.

What do you mean by "chemical"? All food is made of chemical substances.

SMH....chemicals as in the ones put in there to keep things from going bad, the ones that are in there to enhance the flavor. The red dyes and yellow dyes, the ones that keep your meat from turning grey. If I can have it fresh from the farmers market instead of fresh from a can I'd rather have that. If I can have it fresh from the butchers shop with grass fed animals then I'd rather have that (not that I can afford it) If I can have it fresh from MY garden then I'd rather have that. I hate the taste of anything that comes from a can. Even before I started on losing weight I refused to have veggies from a can, taste just yucky if you ask me. Not that I've given up everything, I still eat tunafish in a can, I still have my bacon and ham (one day I'll learn to smoke my own and won't have to buy the store bought stuff) I try not to eat anything from a box as in boxed potatoes, boxed mac and cheese, boxed cereals. I'm back to eating some of that stuff and I'm wondering if it's the reason I don't sleep at night or why I'm craving so much sugar.

Avoiding chemicals that keep things from going bad or enhancing the flavor isn't just a joyless way to go through life, it doesn't match the way that humans have ever eaten. I cook most of my food myself and I frequently use chemicals (what you may call "ingredients") to either enhance a flavor or keep something from going bad as quickly. Last night I cut up some cabbage and dressed it with salt and vinegar. According to your logic, I made my cabbage unclean.

I understand your main point, but the line you are drawing seems largely artificial and contrived. If you don't enjoy the taste of food from a can, then don't eat it. But I don't see the need to make a virtue of it. And I don't know if eating black beans from a can instead of soaking them and cooking them from dry a couple of times a week (or does drying beans to preserve them count make them "unclean?) is going to create a significant difference in how I feel.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Treat yo self! There's no reason to feel like you can never have certain items (unless there's some medical issue). Figure out a way to fit them into your day.

Also, I personally find that it's not the burgers/sandwiches that bust a day. It's the fries for me. A burger from many places can fit right into a normal day without much adjusting.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I make my husband grill me a Turkey Burger @ home (from grounded turkey). Add an army of flavor to spice it up and wrap it with lettuce, arugula, tomato with ketchup and it's nom nom nom!!!
    I save my calories with no bun since I'm on low carb diet

It comes to almost 350/400 calories one burger with all the added accessories ;) .
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I lost 30 lbs last year, and still drank and ate pizza, chocolate, burgers, donuts, etc... (and I'm sure my calorie allowance is MUCH less than yours).

The only "problem" is that a burger from Red Robin (for example) can be as much as 800-1000 calories. My budget is 1500 cal/day, so I have about 500 cal left if I decide to go to Red Robin for a meal. For some people, 500 cal for the rest of the day wouldn't be enough, but for me, I usually consider Red Robin lunch AND dinner- I'm just that full. So, if I have oatmeal or something for breakfast, I'm well within my calories for the day, even with the burger. If you'd require more food than that in a day, you may struggle and go over, but still not a problem for a treat.

Also... there are certain foods that no matter how many calories I eat, I still feel/look bloated. Even though I hadn't gained weight, I looked like I had. Bagels, chips, anything salty, and subs are usually my big culprits.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Where people go overboard is taking in too many macros at once. Sure, have that 800 calorie burger, but if you are hungry in 4 hours, and you honor that, then where did that food go? Did it get used, or stored? In 4 hours, you would have to be very busy or vety overweight, bc bmr awake is usually in the 100-150 per hour range for people that are within 100 lbs overweight. So, if you are eating again, and the body hasnt fully metabolized that burger, that is where the burger will make you more overweight. It is why chips, hotdogs, ice cream, and soda make people overweight. They just have too much of it and it doesnt get metabolized and used as energy.

First, why would a burger necessarily be 800 calories? It could be, but it's also easy to make a lower calorie burger that has similar macros to any other meal you might cook. I make them all the time--usually without the bun, granted (due to personal preference), but not always, and you can find a reasonably low cal bun if that's a goal (or one with more fiber, etc.). And, yes, I've also been known to make room in my calories for a higher calorie restaurant meal and from time to time that might be a burger that's really worth it.

Second, why on earth would an 800 calorie burger be less filling than any other 800 calorie meal? It's got protein and fat, as well as carbs, and most find that combination of macros plenty filling. Indeed, the difference between a high calorie burger and a low calorie, other than whatever you waste on the bun (IMO, not everyone's) is the fat content, and many find more fat=more filling.

I don't happen to care for chips or hot dogs and never drink soda with calories, so I'm pretty sure none of that made me overweight, and somehow continuing to eat burgers and ice cream has not prevented me from losing all the weight either. Hmm.

Obviously, eating too many calories made me overweight and eating fewer (while exercising more) caused me to lose it. That's what matters. And sure I eat in a way that I consider satiating, but this idea that burgers or ice cream are magically not satiating so can't be part of a nutritious satiating diet is wrong. I have half a cup of ice cream after dinner many nights and it doesn't transform my satiating dinner into something else. Indeed, as noted above many find fat especially satiating.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I would totally eat a burger, homemade though. Also, I would eat fries, but not deep fried, I'd chop those potatoes up myself and bake them.

As a lifestyle choice, I cut all fast food out of my diet. Ive found I can eat the same thing but it would be way less calories, healthier and even taste better if I make it myself.

Saying all that, Im not on a total fast food ban, or any food ban at all. If Im out with friends for instance and we all go somewhere, I'll eat, log it and move on. I don't want food to be something I stress over.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Clean eaters get the same amt. of nutrients that everyone else does we just get less chemicals with them.

Oh? Setting aside the whole thing about chemicals being in everything, of course, and using whatever definition you prefer to use, how on earth do you think you can know that you get less of those chemicals than, say, me? Seems presumptuous.

I'd love to know what these terrible offending foods are, because my bet is that plenty of so-called "clean" eaters eat basically the same thing, they just maybe don't admit it or consider it a "cheat."

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    So I have been doing this for a while and having great success. I have been doing P90 6 days a week and staying constantly at or below my calorie intake goals. Yesterday at work, a person told me that I could eat a cheeseburger if it fit within my calorie intake. Of course I started craving a nice burger but thought that was not a good idea?

So I ask this question; can you really eat anything you want as long as you stay within your calorie allowance?

I love a good burger. In fact, I like to keep frozen hamburger patties (the 100% beef 85% lean kind) in my freezer at all times. They are yummy. Not to bad on calories (240 I think) and low in sodium (less than 100 mg).

I frequently eat cheeseburgers. At least 1 per week (usually more). They easily fit into my calories and help me meet my protein goals. I've even been known to make a patty when I'm out of bread and just eat a "breadless/bunless" cheeseburger.
    uvrl.gif
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I hate the taste of anything that comes from a can.

Good-quality canned tomatoes taste better than out of season shipped from who knows where tomatoes, IMO, and the can just says "tomatoes" normally.

I agree about most canned veggies, though--that's one reason I like veggies much more now than I did as a kid, but this is a realization I came to way before I lost weight so I don't pretend it has a thing to do with weight loss. Nor does it have anything to do with being a "clean eater," since I am not. I just know what I like.
    Not that I've given up everything, I still eat tunafish in a can

I don't and never have. I think it's disgusting (especially mixed with mayo which is also disgusting so the two together could not be more ugh), but I know that's just personal taste so don't pretend it has more meaning than that. I love tuna steak, but that's not "unprocessed" even though it's not canned, and nor is it better than the tinned kippers I eat or the sardines or the smoked salmon. Given where I live the only way I can have tuna steak or salmon, etc., is to buy frozen and non-local (we don't have locally available many of the fish I eat often, sadly).
    I try not to eat anything from a box as in boxed potatoes, boxed mac and cheese, boxed cereals.

I never ate that stuff when I was fat (boxed potatoes, seriously!? why? roasted or mashed whole potatoes are super easy and taste much better), and yet I do eat bagged oatmeal (the ingredients are just oats), so the fact something is in a box or bag really has nothing to do with weight loss, again, or for that matter with being a clean eater. There's no way in hell I'd eat boxed mac and cheese (which almost certainly has fewer calories than the home made stuff I will eat from time to time) or boxed potatoes or--of course--jarred pasta sauce, because I don't like that stuff, not because I'm a "clean" eater. I think it's funny or odd or something that the foods that clean eaters get all self-congratulatory about giving up are things that I never ate and in many cases (like with the boxed potatoes) stuff I don't think anyone I know even eats.

I also don't see what boxed potatoes, revolting as they sound to me, have to do with sugar. (Speaking of sugar, is it "unclean" if one adds it to homemade goods? I suppose so, but I never do understand this weird "clean" terminology and wish people would just say what they mean.)
  • TCO76
    TCO76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Calling yourself a clean eater is just another way of being a self righteous elitist. Fact is, no one cares if your eating the finest in all ingredients and only use all natural everything. I have noticed that it's just become another "status" notch on a belt that goes into the big pool of whogivesadamn...... GMO's, oh no.... non grass fed this, not from whole foods, blah blah blah.... no one gets out alive and we all have preferences. I personally choose to ignore people when they brag about being part of some group. Why can't crossfitters just say they work out and leave it at that? Same reason. Constant need for attention.....

Rant over
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Avoiding chemicals that keep things from going bad or enhancing the flavor isn't just a joyless way to go through life, it doesn't match the way that humans have ever eaten. I cook most of my food myself and I frequently use chemicals (what you may call "ingredients") to either enhance a flavor or keep something from going bad as quickly. Last night I cut up some cabbage and dressed it with salt and vinegar. According to your logic, I made my cabbage unclean.

I understand your main point, but the line you are drawing seems largely artificial and contrived. If you don't enjoy the taste of food from a can, then don't eat it. But I don't see the need to make a virtue of it. And I don't know if eating black beans from a can instead of soaking them and cooking them from dry a couple of times a week (or does drying beans to preserve them count make them "unclean?) is going to create a significant difference in how I feel.

Excellent points.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    yes I have lost and maintained without giving up eating anything other than second helpings. Good Luck on your Journey
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options

No, when you have too much of something (anything), it gets stored as fat because you're eating more than you burn - so those extra calories don't get burned.

OP, yes, if you'd like you can eat a cheeseburger. I had one on Sunday - my diary is wide open if you'd like to look at it.

I like to pre-log my days, because meeting my nutritional goals is important to me. So I try to eat all the fat and protein I need, and the rest of the leftover calories I use at my discretion (like, ice cream last night).

I was giving examples of food with those combinations...not an explicit list. Dont read too much into that. You guys that are saying I am wrong, you are pretty much saying what I just said, but in a different way...read it again, but slower.

Me thinks you are now trying to backtrack and cover your @ss. lolz.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Yes

That's not to say eat nothing but Frosted Flakes, pizza, cookies, and cheeseburgers all day every day. A lot of people who tout "clean eating" think those of us who don't only do this. We still focus on nutrients, but a treat in moderation that fits your calories/macros is also good.

Clean eating isn't so much about the nutrients as it is about the lack of chemicals in the food. We know that we are still going to get some chemicals in foods but the less you consume we feel the better your body will feel. I know I've slacked off the clean eating and I'm struggling to control my weight and the cravings. Clean eaters get the same amt. of nutrients that everyone else does we just get less chemicals with them.

when I "ate clean" it was entirely about whether a food was "good" or "bad" because the "bad" food would = weight gain. Had nothing to do with chemicals.

I'm not even going to bother talking about chemicals though, I think that is one of the most trivial things someone could focus on for weight loss and overall health/nutrition.
  • ana3067
    Options
    GreenValli wrote: »
    My husband bought home Carl's Jr all natural burgers for dinner on Saturday night. He had a coupon for buy one, get one free. I looked up the calories and decided to eat half because the calorie count was 760 calories and I am 5'2" and try to stay on the lower calorie side, especially if I am not going to the gym that day. I had not gone to the gym and had not planned for that many calories! I had the other half for lunch the next day.

To get to the point, I noticed on the bottom of the tracker that I was way, way over on fat. Since it was a burger, I know it was not GOOD fat. Since I have been very careful I will not worry about it, but I will not do that very often, even eating half.

Just as many have said, yes, you can eat hamburgers. Just use wisdom and don't eat them too often. It is not just calories and weight, but your health that matters.
    doesn't matter - being over on fat (whether it's "good" or "bad" fat) won't make you gain weight if you are within your caloric needs.

I've had 3 burgers (4 if you count the one I will eat tonight) in the last like... 2-3 days.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    No, anyone who eats a burger will die.

true story.
  • ana3067
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

F No. You were completely wrong. You still are. Just STOP.

Ok, point out my flaws. Educate me?

You aren't gonna get fat if you're on a deficit and eat a bunch of calories in one go. You could eat your whole allotment in a single meal and you'd still lose.

Yes, true. I was merely pointing to the fact that people who get overweight will eat more than they burn before the next meal, but wont have the control to compensate. You can eat nothing but pizza if you eat at a deficit, and eat 10 meals a day, and you will lose weight. But who eats ice cream in a huge portion and compensates for it? I never said CICO was not true.

To compensate... for... what?

Bob burns an average of 3000 calories in a day from his normal activities.
    He wakes up and eats 300 calories for breakfast, then another 500 at lunch, and another 200 as a small afternoon snack.
    He gets home and orders take-out, eating a 1000-calorie meal.
    3 hours later he another 500 calorie meal, maybe a fruit salad with some ice-cream on the side.
    2 hours later, he eats another 500 calorie meal, perhaps some dessert that he made.

Bob has eaten 3000 calories for the day, thus maintaining his weight despite eating both "bad" food and eating 2000 calories within ~5 hours.

If Bob is looking to lose weight, then those 500 cal meals can become 400 calories, creating a 300 calorie deficit. weight loss, boom.

Your logic and/or wording does not make sense.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Yes

SMH....chemicals as in the ones put in there to keep things from going bad, the ones that are in there to enhance the flavor. The red dyes and yellow dyes, the ones that keep your meat from turning grey. If I can have it fresh from the farmers market instead of fresh from a can I'd rather have that. If I can have it fresh from the butchers shop with grass fed animals then I'd rather have that (not that I can afford it) If I can have it fresh from MY garden then I'd rather have that. I hate the taste of anything that comes from a can. Even before I started on losing weight I refused to have veggies from a can, taste just yucky if you ask me. Not that I've given up everything, I still eat tunafish in a can, I still have my bacon and ham (one day I'll learn to smoke my own and won't have to buy the store bought stuff) I try not to eat anything from a box as in boxed potatoes, boxed mac and cheese, boxed cereals. I'm back to eating some of that stuff and I'm wondering if it's the reason I don't sleep at night or why I'm craving so much sugar.

Seems pretty restrictive. I was able to live that way for about 4 years before my relationship with food became so bad that I literally would HATE my parents for buying potato chips for themselves, and I would hate the CHIPS for existing.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Yes

Seems pretty restrictive. I was able to live that way for about 4 years before my relationship with food became so bad that I literally would HATE my parents for buying potato chips for themselves, and I would hate the CHIPS for existing.

Your developing some type of food neurosis does not make eating whole natural foods restrictive. There are a lot of food options using only whole natural foods. There is nothing inherently wrong with avoiding prepackaged foods.
This discussion has been closed.