I Do Not Want to be Thin

Options

Replies

• BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I want to be in shape. That means I need to be "thinner"...sorry just the truth. When I am "in shape" I will be a size 4/6 and about 130. Which is still over the recommended BMI for my height 5'2 , however I just do not look good at anything less than 125 or over 135. Sad truth. Currently 150 - 4 months post baby
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I want to be thin and lean for all the right reasons and all the shallow ones, too.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of you are missing the fact that correlation =/= causation. In many cases, obesity is correlated with certain outcomes, but it's not a foregone conclusion that if you are fat you will get sick and die early. And just because you're thin doesn't mean you won't get heart disease and other illnesses that people associate with obesity.

When I was in high school, I was on the basketball and track teams and could run several miles a day, and at the time, I was also 80 pounds overweight, clearly in the "obese" category. That didn't make me unhealthy in the least. People saying HAES does not exist, or it's an excuse, are stereotyping fat people, plain and simple - and yet you criticize the OP for doing it, which is quite hypocritical.

HAES doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to improve your chances of avoiding major illnesses, ore even feeling more comfortable in your own body. But it does mean that health can be embraced for its own sake, not simply to achieve a certain size.

That said, I am at a size that I am not comfortable with, and I want to cut down on the correlations I speak of above, since diabetes, early stroke, and heart disease (and obesity) are prevalent in my family on both mother and father's lines. Whatever I can do to lower my chances of dying early like my dad or being on oxygen in my 60s like my birth mother, I am willing to do. So my goal is to be thin, but I don't think it has to be everyone's goal. I also want to lower the stress on my joints and back muscles so I don't feel like crap at 33. My ultimate goal is to be thin and healthy, but I am under no illusions that I will look like magazines or a Hollywood star - I'm well over that idea. I just want to be a stronger, lighter me.

It's not a foregone conclusion that you will get lung cancer from smoking.

It's not a foregone conclusion that you will get liver disease from moderate to heavy drinking.

It's not a foregone conclusion that you will get in an accident if you run stop lights.

It's not a foregone conclusion that you will get an STD if you have unprotected sex with lots of random strangers.

It's not a foregone conclusion that <enter high risk activity here> will lead to negative consequences.

However, the risk in all those things increases greatly.

I take many preventative actions to mitigate risk in my life, like wearing a seatbelt, losing weight and not smoking for a few examples.

If you don't, that's a personal choice but do not use the fact that the risks are not 100% as an excuse to remain in those high risk categories.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    I think a lot of you are missing the fact that correlation =/= causation. In many cases, obesity is correlated with certain outcomes, but it's not a foregone conclusion that if you are fat you will get sick and die early. And just because you're thin doesn't mean you won't get heart disease and other illnesses that people associate with obesity.

When I was in high school, I was on the basketball and track teams and could run several miles a day, and at the time, I was also 80 pounds overweight, clearly in the "obese" category. That didn't make me unhealthy in the least. People saying HAES does not exist, or it's an excuse, are stereotyping fat people, plain and simple - and yet you criticize the OP for doing it, which is quite hypocritical.

HAES doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to improve your chances of avoiding major illnesses, ore even feeling more comfortable in your own body. But it does mean that health can be embraced for its own sake, not simply to achieve a certain size.

That said, I am at a size that I am not comfortable with, and I want to cut down on the correlations I speak of above, since diabetes, early stroke, and heart disease (and obesity) are prevalent in my family on both mother and father's lines. Whatever I can do to lower my chances of dying early like my dad or being on oxygen in my 60s like my birth mother, I am willing to do. So my goal is to be thin, but I don't think it has to be everyone's goal. I also want to lower the stress on my joints and back muscles so I don't feel like crap at 33. My ultimate goal is to be thin and healthy, but I am under no illusions that I will look like magazines or a Hollywood star - I'm well over that idea. I just want to be a stronger, lighter me.

It's not a foregone conclusion that you will get liver disease from moderate to heavy drinking.

It's not a foregone conclusion that you will get in an accident if you run stop lights.

It's not a foregone conclusion that you will get an STD if you have unprotected sex with lots of random strangers.

It's not a foregone conclusion that <enter high risk activity here> will lead to negative consequences.

I take many preventative actions to mitigate risk in my life, like wearing a seatbelt, losing weight and not smoking for a few examples.

If you don't, that's a personal choice but do not use the fact that the risks are not 100% as an excuse to remain in those high risk categories.

boom-o.gif
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

But according to the chart that jgnata posted, that is inaccurate. BMIs in the slightly overweight category showed LESS risk to health. Do you disagree that that's true?

• PikaKnight
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

But according to the chart that jgnata posted, that is inaccurate. BMIs in the slightly overweight category showed LESS risk to health. Do you disagree that that's true?

Well, I want to point out that BMI can be flawed. People can be included in a study that shows them at a BMI of being overweight but it turns out that when you review their body fat %, it shows a whole different story.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Soooo, I am mistaken to take the results of that study? All overweight is bad in your opinion?

I agreed with the OP so far as my goal is not "thin" but healthy.

The judgement about thin people being obsessed or wrong I could do without. We all have different goals. Working to thin is also a worthy goal.

I am miffed that my goal is considered somehow inferior or unhealthy when it's not!
  • brower47
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

I was talking about increased health risks. I never even mentioned weight. If the health risks are not significantly increased for overweight individuals but only for the obese, then no, that's not what I was talking about.
  • PikaKnight
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Soooo, I am mistaken to take the results of that study? All overweight is bad in your opinion?

The judgement about thin people being obsessed or wrong I could do without. We all have different goals. Working to thin is also a worthy goal.

I am miffed that my goal is considered somehow inferior or unhealthy when it's not!

:indifferent:

Well...okay then. I didn't realizing pointing out a common/well known flaw with the BMI system meant that your goals were inferior and that it meant I was saying things I didn't say.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

boom-o.gif

Awesome gif!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I used to be your weight OP, and besides wanting to be healthy , I also wanted to be thin! I've always loved myself but love myself much more as a thin person. Call it vain, whatever. I'm just being honest. I love being thin and worked really hard to get to be this weight.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I've never seen someone claim that wanting to simply lose weight and become healthier is inferior or unhealthy. I've been here for many years and have yet to see someone told they should aim to be thin or that their goal isn't good enough.

I do see people warn others that their methods are unhealthy or won't get them the results they are looking for, but never saying someone should lose more weight (unless the person asked for other opinions).
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Well...okay then. I didn't realizing pointing out a common/well known flaw with the BMI system meant that your goals were inferior and that it meant I was saying things I didn't say.

I understand the BMI system is flawed, but how do you know that those flaws are the reason for the results? It is just as likely that being slightly overweight has health benefits.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I didn't want to be thin :) I wanted to be healthy when I started - but I also hoped to lose enough weight to get down to at least a size 16 to get out of the plus sizes. - well I ended up passing that goal -- I had never actually been a slim fit adult before (started gaining weight as a teenager) so I am enjoying it and I ended up slim (and a size 4)... go figure... but it wasn't my main reason for losing weight, my health was...
  • PikaKnight
    Options

I understand the BMI system is flawed, but how do you know that those flaws are the reason for the results? It is just as likely that being slightly overweight has health benefits.

Well, as more emphasis starts being put on body fat % over BMI (to the point even insurance companies are beginning to adopt it as well), then maybe a new study will come out in regards to what you are saying.

But either way, no one said anything about it being inferior,etc. No sense getting riled up over things no one said or just because someone pointed something out.
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My ideal weight is actually still classed as 'overweight'. I wasn't even fat when I was that weight, I just had massive boobs. But I was a size UK 10/12. I would be happy being back at size 12. I have no intention of ever being a size 8. I'm not even sure my body can be that thin anyway.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I do want to be thin, and strong. I look better and feel better 40 lbs lighter.

This reminds me of that song by Meghan Trainor, All About That Bass. With respect, OP, though I do like the idea of a positive body image and the focus on healthy weight loss, I cannot get on board with this bizarre notion that wanting to be “thin” is bad. To quote the song:

I'm bringing booty back
    Go ahead and tell them skinny *kitten* Hey
    No, I'm just playing I know you think you're fat,
    But I'm here to tell you that,
    Every inch of you is perfect from the bottom to the top

People who are in “good” shape (say their ideal BMI range) don’t necessarily think they’re fat so that they starve themselves. I have no idea why the assumption is that “skinny” people are unhealthy. Lots of people work damn hard to be “skinny”, and IMO anyone who puts in the effort to be healthier deserves respect, regardless of where they are in that journey. I see no reason to rank goals and put down someone who wants to be “thin”. If that’s what motivates someone, as long as they’re healthy about it, it’s great.
  • brower47
    Options
    My ideal weight is actually still classed as 'overweight'. I wasn't even fat when I was that weight, I just had massive boobs. But I was a size UK 10/12. I would be happy being back at size 12. I have no intention of ever being a size 8. I'm not even sure my body can be that thin anyway.

I'm sure your body could be a size 8 but it's fine if you don't want to be a size 8.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Well, I want to point out that BMI can be flawed. People can be included in a study that shows them at a BMI of being overweight but it turns out that when you review their body fat %, it shows a whole different story.

So what is the "whole different story"?

• PikaKnight
    Options

So what is the "whole different story"?

O.o

That if you go by weight alone, you may be missing out on those who fall into the overweight category that really aren't overweight?
This discussion has been closed.