sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Soooo, I am mistaken to take the results of that study? All overweight is bad in your opinion?

I agreed with the OP so far as my goal is not "thin" but healthy.

The judgement about thin people being obsessed or wrong I could do without. We all have different goals. Working to thin is also a worthy goal.

I am miffed that my goal is considered somehow inferior or unhealthy when it's not!

I've never seen someone claim that wanting to simply lose weight and become healthier is inferior or unhealthy. I've been here for many years and have yet to see someone told they should aim to be thin or that their goal isn't good enough.

I do see people warn others that their methods are unhealthy or won't get them the results they are looking for, but never saying someone should lose more weight (unless the person asked for other opinions).

It was in the first response and all the 'high five's responding to that - many people in this thread have said, if you're fat then you're sick and if you're thin then you're healthy. Are you really going to make me (or someone not slacking at work) go back and copy paste them all?

I guess I skipped those. I saw a lot of people saying that it's hard to know until you get close. My bad. I stated multiple times that just aiming to be healthier is great.

Yeah I didn't want to specifically call anyone out but the flip side of that is that comments seem directed at everyone...

I think part of the issue is simply defining things. My definition of thin and fat are far different than another persons. They are also different when I am talking about myself versus another person. I don't think it's okay to suggestion someone is inferior for not wanting to be at an athletic body fat. I don't think it's okay to tell someone that being thin is a bad goal. I don't think it's okay to say a woman with muscles is gross or manly. We all have our preferences, but a common goal should be to improve health and reduce health risks.

Agreed - and no problem with anyone who took issue with the post for phrasing or general body-shaming or goal-slamming. I'm only taking issue with those claiming that a person must be thin in order to be healthy because I think that's a really harmful and false point of view. And that's not to say that I'm in the "HAES" camp either, I think there is probably an upper weight limit for everyone to where they cannot remain healthy, but I'm fairly certain that 1 pound overweight ain't it.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    WOW! This is a really terrific discussion. I just spent the last 30 minutes reading the entire thread!

I'd say, it sounds like OP is at the start of her journey (unless I read that wrong?). I will say, your goals and desires may definitely change and your reasons as well. I'd really, really encourage you to keep an open mind if that's the case. Stuff changes - you change - in this process. And that's OK! That's the beauty of it all, growing as a person as well as getting healthy. When I started my journey last year, it was to get healthy (my cardiologist told me it was time to get moving!). That was my main driving factor. Although, if I was being honest, I no longer really liked the way I looked or felt in my own skin.

Well, I took up running. Little by little, I fell back in love with a form of exercise I thought I'd never get back into again. As the months flew by, my clothes got looser. I felt healthier... but also realized, "hey! I'm running faster!" While I met my initial weight loss goal in Dec, I want to drop a few more pounds because I want to push my athletic boundaries in racing. Does this have anything to do with "media outlets?" Um... nope. :wink:

As another poster said, I wish we could find avenues to feeling good about our individual choices, without the need to put others down.

For me, I've decided I want to see exactly what my body is capable of. Several months ago I decided I didn't want to just finish races, I wanted to compete. Why not? It's been nothing short of an exhilarating ride to push my limits. I know not everyone is driven/motivated the same way, but I'm glad I've chosen to not settle for less than my personal best. ;) (But I won't question/don't care if someone else has made their own conclusion. Everyone has to manage their own journeys and goals.)

Best luck, OP.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Did anyone notice that the "don't think I could be a size 8" post was about a UK size 8, which I think is closer to a US size 4? That's pretty small. Some peoples' bone structure wouldn't allow them to be that size.

Is it a US 4 or a US 6?
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    We all have different motivations and concerns. For some of us the spark is health and well-being. For others it is appearance, and the desire to be attractive. For many of us, it is both. It's all good, and perhaps works best when we support each other even when our motivations are a bit different.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    One can be overweight and very healthy.

Being overweight and obese puts a strain on the heart. The heart has to work extra hard when you carry excess weight/fat. The person may have excellent blood work but they are still making their heart work harder than it should be which is not 'very healthy.'
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    brower47 wrote: »
    real-women-dove.jpg

Okay? What was the point of this?

Not everyone's "normal" is size 8. If a person acknowledges that they won't be their best at a size 8 does not mean they are in denial. Rib cages come in different sizes, too.

Thin is a worthy goal. So is settling on a different weight, and they can both be healthy!

No one said 'normal' was a size 8. Someone claimed a size 8 wasn't possible for them. Other expressed skepticism with that statement. No one cared that the goal was a size 12 or said that it was an unhealthy goal. That's all. Any other assumptions based on that exchange are just that, assumptions.

Agreed. If you want to be a size 12, that's cool. But to claim you "can't" be a size 8 is what got a lot of :huh:

Exactly.
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Did anyone notice that the "don't think I could be a size 8" post was about a UK size 8, which I think is closer to a US size 4? That's pretty small. Some peoples' bone structure wouldn't allow them to be that size.

Is it a US 4 or a US 6?

I didn't see either that it was a UK size (was it really mentioned?). I Googled it and it says UK 8 = US 6. Not much of a difference IMO.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Being overweight and obese puts a strain on the heart. The heart has to work extra hard when you carry excess weight/fat. The person may have excellent blood work but they are still making their heart work harder than it should be which is not 'very healthy.'

How much harder? Does it matter if it's someone like me who is overweight simply because I have higher than average amounts of lean body mass? Would it matter if someone was at a "healthy weight", but had very low lean mass (which would put their body fat higher)?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

How much harder? Does it matter if it's someone like me who is overweight simply because I have higher than average amounts of lean body mass? Would it matter if someone was at a "healthy weight", but had very low lean mass (which would put their body fat higher)?

According to my cardiologist and other individuals I have talked to on MFP who are considered overweight/obese because of their LBM, they said their doctor told them they are still at an increased risk of heart attacks, strokes, and CVD.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

According to my cardiologist and other individuals I have talked to on MFP who are considered overweight/obese because of their LBM, they said their doctor told them they are still at an increased risk of heart attacks, strokes, and CVD.

Who? The ones carrying the extra weight or the ones with high body fat?

I don't consider most people on here a very good source. How about some science? A study perhaps. I want to know if it's the weight or the fat that increases risk of heart attacks, strokes and CVD.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

I don't consider most people on here a very good source. How about some science? A study perhaps. I want to know if it's the weight or the fat that increases risk of heart attacks, strokes and CVD.

According to the doctor (and my cardiologist), it doesn't matter whether the person is overweight because they have a high LBM or excess body fat. It still strains the heart.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

According to the doctor (and my cardiologist), it doesn't matter whether the person is overweight because they have a high LBM or excess body fat. It still strains the heart.

Whelp between that and the bacon I guess my overweight yet 'thin' behind is in trouble.
  • jennifershoo
    Options

So you're saying that these 2 dudes have the same cardiac risks? :huh:
    bmi-comparison.gif
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options

bmi-comparison.gif

Yeah, surely that can’t be right. Don’t people who are fit have stronger cardiac muscles, so their hearts are more than capable of supporting the extra LBM? I don’t know what I’m talking about. But this just doesn’t make sense.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »

bmi-comparison.gif

Yeah, surely that can’t be right. Don’t people who are fit have stronger cardiac muscles, so their hearts are more than capable of supporting the extra LBM? I don’t know what I’m talking about. But this just doesn’t make sense.

It would depend on their cardiovascular fitness, though. Not all bodybuilders are interested in cardio (may be an understatement, I don't know). The body on the left is still big. All that blood's got to get around in there.

I would guess that the person on the right has additional risks.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Emilia777 wrote: »

It would depend on their cardiovascular fitness, though. Not all bodybuilders are interested in cardio (may be an understatement, I don't know). The body on the left is still big. All that blood's got to get around in there.

I would guess that the person on the right has additional risks.

You make a good point about blood flow. I did a quick google search and, contingent on how reputable these sources are, it would appear that weight training does give the heart a workout too.

First, lifting does increase heart rate, so that if someone lifts for 30 minutes they are getting a cardio workout as well (article 1). I definitely have an increased HR when I lift (heavy weights, low reps), though I’m not sure I maintain it high as well as I could. @usmcmp and @jennifershoo seem to lift and may know more about this.

Second, lifting has the benefit of (a) increasing blood flow to the limbs (though it causes an increase in central arterial stiffness, whereas cardio does not cause this stiffness but also does not increase blood flow) and (b) leads to a longer-lasting drop in blood pressure compared to aerobic exercise.

Article 1: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/likness19.htm
    Article 2: http://www.mensfitness.com/training/get-heart-healthy-by-lifting-weights

Not sure how legit this is though.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Health and weight are tied together, especially with us old people. I want to be healthy AND a healthy weight. I love myself a whole lot more, am healthier and happier, at 132 instead of 184 lbs. Life is easier at a healthy weight. I don't take any meds anymore. I feel so dang good now.
  • cmm7303
    cmm7303 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I'll be honest with you... why do people want to be "thin"? Because you cannot be truly healthy and be fat. H.A.E.S. does not exist; it just doesn't.

You dont have to be "skinny" but our bodies were designed to be lean and strong, period. And that isn't something that requires 2-4 hours in the gym.

Edited to add: I'm not even talking about aesthetics here, just the fact that our bodies were not designed to hold excess amounts of fat for an extended period of time. Since your post seemed to focus on the "look" of being skinny.

I'm going to call BS on that. HAES means that me, at a size 10, can be just as healthy as my boss at a size 4. She's a marathoner, I'm a lifter (at a 10). We're the same height, but not the same size, and I absolutely carry more fat on me than she does on her.

Having body fat does not make you unhealthy. Specific fat in specific places can even be beneficial (http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/Science/article1508318.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2015_01_17).
  • inchwormbyinchworm
    inchwormbyinchworm Posts: 180 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @aubrey_11_baker‌

I think you would like this article. Ultimately you have to closer to goal to know for sure if it's right for you.

http://www.refusetoregain.com/2014/06/just-another-ten-pounds-or-how-to-know-when-your-weight-loss-is-over.html

. I sense from the success forum that goals do change. I actually think a cluster of goals is a better way to go.
    Really, for this week I want to weigh a little less or lift a little heavier or run a little more or eat a little less. Notice the OR conjunction!
    I guess my handle says it all. Inch by inch.

Though sometimes I use SW-101 lbs. That would put me in a healthy BMI range.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    My ideal weight is actually still classed as 'overweight'. I wasn't even fat when I was that weight, I just had massive boobs. But I was a size UK 10/12. I would be happy being back at size 12. I have no intention of ever being a size 8. I'm not even sure my body can be that thin anyway.

I'm sure your body could be a size 8 but it's fine if you don't want to be a size 8.

It really couldn't. If I had lost any more weight, I would literally be a stick with boobs. We're talking barbie doll figure here. And no, I really don't want to be a size 8.

I highly doubt that.

before you people pick her apart, remember that a UK size 8 is not the same as a US size 8.
This discussion has been closed.