Couch to 10K in 15 weeks?

Options

Replies

• kaylah_x
    kaylah_x Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Im thinking of starting this soon! I finish 30DS tuesday so not sure if i'll start it after then or if will over the weekend yet...

What do you guys set your treadmill at?
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Ok...did week 2, day 1 today. Felt great! I ran on 6.0. burned over 300 calories in a half hour.

WHOA! You are now speedy gonzolas in my book!!! Great job :drinker:
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Some car maintenance has altered my C25K schedule for the week, seeing as I've not been home for a few days and without my iPod. As soon as I get home today, I'm going to go to the gym, and I'll probably end up doing C25K W2 D1 LAAAATE this afternoon since its supposed to be hotter than Hades today.

When did we skip spring? :cry:

As long as you pick up when you get home... we all have life's obsticles that get thrown in our way :wink: I was sweating link a pig during and after my workout because it was so humid outside... and I was INSIDE!!! :grumble:
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Im thinking of starting this soon! I finish 30DS tuesday so not sure if i'll start it after then or if will over the weekend yet...

What do you guys set your treadmill at?

I run at a 5.0 and walk at a 4.0.... but I was able to "run" 4 miles at a 4.5 before I started the program. My suggestion is to set it at what you are comfortable at. Everyone on this thread "runs" at a different pace. :flowerforyou:
  • FitMomma0722
    FitMomma0722 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I run at a 5.0 and walk at a 4.0.... but I was able to "run" 4 miles at a 4.5 before I started the program. My suggestion is to set it at what you are comfortable at. Everyone on this thread "runs" at a different pace. :flowerforyou:

wow...run 4 miles at 4.5??!?! Can't weight until i'm able to do that. I ran on 6 and walked on 3. I will up my walking speed to 3.5, maybe. lol Depends. I really needed the time to catch my breath. lol
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    wow...run 4 miles at 4.5??!?! Can't weight until i'm able to do that. I ran on 6 and walked on 3. I will up my walking speed to 3.5, maybe. lol Depends. I really needed the time to catch my breath. lol

Trust me... that was a process in of itself. :laugh: I took about two or three months to work up to that. I started with 1 mile at the 4.5 and would run that twice during the week and then do a long run on the weekend (that started as a 1 mile run too). In April I did the first three weekends with a 4 mile run at 4.5 because I got to 3 miles in April. :bigsmile: And those 4 miles were not easy either :blushing: The last two weren't pretty

I would actually recommend decreasing your run speed instead of uping your walk speed.... You might find that it is easier to complete the days workout and you are not overly exhusted. I have mentioned before that you can always "re-do" the program to increase speed. :wink:

Just my thoughts :flowerforyou:
  • FitMomma0722
    FitMomma0722 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

I would actually recommend decreasing your run speed instead of uping your walk speed.... You might find that it is easier to complete the days workout and you are not overly exhusted. I have mentioned before that you can always "re-do" the program to increase speed. :wink:

Just my thoughts :flowerforyou:

that sounds like a good idea. I guess, I was thinking about my goal to run a 10 minute mile. I was also going running on 6 because I had 700 calories I needed to burn and I did NOT want to be on that thing all night. lol
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    that sounds like a good idea. I guess, I was thinking about my goal to run a 10 minute mile. I was also going running on 6 because I had 700 calories I needed to burn and I did NOT want to be on that thing all night. lol

My motto has always been slow and steady finishes the race! Finishing is just as important if not more so than a "time" that you want to do. :drinker:

If you are running a race and get halfway done running the pace you want then get injured or "drop dead" from pushing too hard, do you brag about that? If you set a goal to finish and know that it takes you slightly longer to finish than you want but you are steady and consistant until you cross that finish line, do you brag about that? I brag that I crossed that finish line for two half marathons, a triathlon, and a quarter marathon! Next up is to run a full 5K (in july), 10K (in Aug), half marathon (Oct 16th) :bigsmile:
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    I know that week two seems so easy now that you are ready to move it up to week three!!! Remember that the workouts get harder to help you build to a full 30 minutes of running/jogging. Stick with it and if you need to repeat a week that is prefectly understandable.

I have a very busy weekend with my little sister graduating college so I will post next weeks schedule today....

Week 3
    5 minute brisk walk to warm up
    90 second jog
    90 second walk
    3 minute jog
    3 minute walk
    5 minute brisk walk to cool down.

Do this three times this week and remember...
    Walk at your speed and jog at your speed which means if your jog is at 3.0 on the treadmill that is great!! Do what you can and don't think you have to start at a run if you aren't ready. Just doing the workout is sucess if you have to slow down your run now that is fine just stay at a consistant speed during the workout. :wink:

:drinker: Drink plenty of water during the day of your run and drink while you "recover" walking during the workout. Additionally drink water after your workout will help.

Stretching your legs after the run is key to staying loose, you don't want to be too sore :blushing:
    Use the wall and point your toes up then lean into the wall to stretch the calf. You can also use a stair and keep your toes on the step and lean your heel off the step. Do butterflies, static (nonmoving) lunges, and reach for your toes eighter standing or sitting (or both) to stretch your hamstrings and quads.

This week try to add in a day of strength crosstraining. This should be about 30 mins and doesn't have to focus on your legs.
  • lailenm
    lailenm Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be repeating week 2 this week instead of starting week 3, since I just couldn't catch myself back up from having to deal with car issues and lack of sleep problems. D= But, I'm not giving up.
  • kaylah_x
    Options
    Done my first day! Walked at 5.8km/h (3.6m/h) & ran at 7k/h which is (4.3m/h i think)....

Was pretty good, Calves were hurting like hell for the first ten then after that along the side of the outter bit of my feet ouch that hurts lol....But it did get better and i thought i could have done a bit harder once i got into it but think i'll just start slow to start with
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be repeating week 2 this week instead of starting week 3, since I just couldn't catch myself back up from having to deal with car issues and lack of sleep problems. D= But, I'm not giving up.

I'm going to be repeating week 2 as well. I had a bunch of issues come up, so I'm glad I'm not the only one

OH - and I walk on 3.5 mph, and 'run' on 4.5
  • getsveltEagain
    Options

That's the spirit!! Keep us updated on your progress :D
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    I forgot to post that week three is repeated twice.... 90/90 3minutes/3minutes then 90/90 3minutes/3minutes again:laugh:

I know 3 minutes is a long time but you have already ran half that :wink:
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Done my first day! Walked at 5.8km/h (3.6m/h) & ran at 7k/h which is (4.3m/h i think)....

Was pretty good, Calves were hurting like hell for the first ten then after that along the side of the outter bit of my feet ouch that hurts lol....But it did get better and i thought i could have done a bit harder once i got into it but think i'll just start slow to start with

I like your thinking. Make sure that you can get all three workouts done without dying and giving up. If you still hurt I suggest slowing your run down :wink: :wink:
  • getsveltEagain
    Options

I'm going to be repeating week 2 as well. I had a bunch of issues come up, so I'm glad I'm not the only one

OH - and I walk on 3.5 mph, and 'run' on 4.5

It's important to know that you guys didn't 'fail'.... you only fail when you STOP! Keep us all udated on you progress!
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Working for fun
    What if hard work was actually fun? Just imagine how much more of it you would choose to do, and how much additional value you would create.

What if tedious work was actually fulfilling? Just think of how many more great things you could accomplish.

Imagine that some person or some group wanted to hold you back, to keep you from being your very best. What would be a good way of doing that?

One extremely effective way to hold millions of people back would be to spread the assumption that difficult, challenging work is to be avoided. That being the case, is it really an assumption you want to willingly hold on to?

What’s fun, and satisfying, and fulfilling for you, is whatever you decide is fun, satisfying and fulfilling. If you so choose, that can include intense, difficult, challenging and even tedious work that creates great value.

Are you being held back by your assumptions about what is enjoyable and fulfilling, and what is not? You’re free to change those assumptions any time you choose.

— Ralph Marston

Read more: http://greatday.com/nmot/index.html#ixzz1MWWUJzva
  • lailenm
    lailenm Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Good Monday morning to you all! I warmed up earlier on the elliptical, and I'm gonna do C25K W2 D1 after my lunch is a little more digested.

Carrie, how are you logging your C25K workouts? Just so I know and can follow your example and log mine. Thanks.
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Carrie, how are you logging your C25K workouts? Just so I know and can follow your example and log mine. Thanks.

Oops... I dodn't see this question to me, but I think we figured it out on my status thread. If anyone else wants to know I will post how I do it tonight after I run! :smile:
  • kaylah_x
    Options
    Day 2 done! Do you guys usually do it every 2nd day or every couple days to make up the full week?...I waited 2 days this time but think im gonna change to every 2nd day...Not so much time inbetween might be better for me