The Things No One Tells You About Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Just because I don't *have* to be a "cardio bunny," doesn't mean I *can't* be one if that's what I enjoy. Learning to tune out opinionated MUSTs and MUST NOTs has been key.

That said, just because I despise lifting, doesn't mean I shouldn't still DO it - bone health, weight bearing exercise, and all that.

Not everyone will be excited and happy for you when you lose - but you'll find out who your truest friends are.

Speaking of "true friends," sometimes, you'll find out that you AREN'T one to some of the people in your real life, and you'll have to do some work to change that. My best friend of almost 25 years moans and cries about her weight and I get frustrated. It's hard not to offer unsolicited advice, and I'll ashamedly admit it's hard not to think negatively about her sometimes. My mom calls me her "inspiration," even though she doesn't seem particularly "inspired" to actually make changes, and it's positively maddening. I'm actively working on it.

You can't force change in others, no matter how much it may be needed. My husband is morbidly obese, and I have a real hard time walking the line of being genuinely worried for his health without being a pushy, angry bish about it. The more I push, the more he balks and even goes in the opposite direction. But it is a huge concern and I don't know how to address it.

My husband and I were both fat and sex was OK. Now that I'm much thinner and he's not, sex is painful. We've had to come up with alternate positions or I feel crushed. Sad truth.

When two people (or more) in the house are dieting, meeting everyone's caloric needs can be a royal pain in the a** for the cook. Because of my new activity level, my intake to lose is about 500 cal higher than my husband's needed intake to lose. If I cook lower calorie foods so that he can eat the large portions he is comfortable with, then I have a hard time meeting my own goal because I can't physically handle that volume of food anymore. (I know... ice cream and potato chips can help, but if I keep ice cream and potato chips in the house, guess who doesn't exercise self control and then there isn't any left for me)

But now that I've listed a pile of negatives, I'd like to end with some positives:

Thrift stores are awesome for the shrinking wardrobe (but you might develop an inability to force yourself to shell out for NEW stuff that fits when you're maintaining, OMG)

Genuine compliments come from some of the most unexpected places - a cashier at my local grocery store recently told me that her 65-lb weight loss was inspired by watching me come in looking smaller every time, and that she paid attention to what I was buying. Someone who works at another store I frequent never fails to ask how I'm doing and how close I am to my goal, which could be weird but she's great about not making it weird at all.

• Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Successful weight loss has to be to get healthy, not to like my body. If I need to be a certain weight to like my body, when I hit that weight, I'll just find something else about myself to dislike. The journey gets easy when you love yourself, and dont need to punish yourself for looks, mistakes, stalls, etc.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    It's not that complicated. In fact, the more simple your plan, the easy it is to implement and sustain.
  • rebeccahunt718
    rebeccahunt718 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I agree that no one told me it would take your self image to catch up to your actual image. I had lost 45 pounds and still saw myself with that 45lb for a long time.

2. what has worked in the past for you, may not work for you now.
    3. what has worked for someone else may not work for you.
  • qn4bx9pzg8aifd
    qn4bx9pzg8aifd Posts: 258 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    Genuine compliments come from some of the most unexpected places - a cashier at my local grocery store recently told me that her 65-lb weight loss was inspired by watching me come in looking smaller every time, and that she paid attention to what I was buying.

Among the SO many truths, insights, and observations conveyed by the wonderful folks in this thread, I somehow feel compelled to take a moment right now to comment on (and celebrate) the specific (and fantastic) reality quoted above... (I just chanced upon this thread, and look forward to later contributing a series of 'hey, guess what'(s) that have been unveiled to my mind and eyes, during my journey :), but for now, I'd like to shine a spotlight on the quoted excerpt above)...

Phrick, the fact that your life-changing actions -- and their results -- positively influenced, inspired, and resulted in profound change in someone else's life, highlights one of the gifts we can unknowingly give to others by simply being the best version of ourselves that we can be (and more often than not, we'll never be aware of having had any such impact -- but in some ways, it would seem to be an inevitable reality for it to occur).

While we might not happen to start out with any awareness of how our individual journeys may positively affect the lives of people who we happen to cross paths with (or if/when simply seen by, or casually interacting with, any of various random strangers in our midst (and whose existence or eyes on us (and even if only fleetingly) we might not ever learn of)), it nonetheless remains that one of the many wondrous potential realities that exists as we embark on change, 'double down' on commitment, and 'keep at it', is that any of various consequences of our improved way of living just might 'be' the 'whatever it is' that someone else happens to notice, and just might need, to make a difference in *their* life.

Additionally, on the flip-side, there are definitely others who have no idea that in my having noticed even one aspect of something associated with the 'how' of what they're doing, or the outcome of what they've done, or the confidence emanating from them as they do whatever they've set out to do (or even if/when they're not yet confident, but they forge on, and simply *try*, and *do*), has informed, inspired, and positively affected me in my journey -- let alone, that it continues to... (it's remarkable that some aspect of some random stranger, who happened to be in the vicinity of where I happened to be, at one just-by-chance moment in time, and who was simply living their life -- and unbeknownst to them, served as an example to me -- not only had a positive impact on me, but that it seems to 'live on', indefinitely)...

We have no idea what sort of 'point of light' we might end up being in the life of another, as we navigate and continue our respective journeys... but it's a pretty wonderful consequence... :)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Your boobs get smaller first (I hate it!)
  • HoopingFanatic
    HoopingFanatic Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ooh, would love to see this thread get going again...
  • unlikelyathlete
    unlikelyathlete Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    1) As a short girl, I have to make a conscious effort to get in a nice healthy dose of cardio every day if I want to see results on the scale.
    2) If I get a healthy dose of cardio, I'm going to be hungrier, and going to have to add in a little more food than that 1200 number that is the standard.
    3) Which means that I'm going to have to make sure I get that healthy dose of cardio on the regular.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    PJPrimrose wrote: »
    Lifting heavy is always better than working with light weights for "toning only". Heavy weights increase your tone, strength, and speed for sports even if you can't or do not want to "bulk". The difference was astounding! Also, you burn a whole heck of a lot more calories to support muscle. I didn't know that either. Women who lift heavy don't start to look like men unless they "juice" with steroids. You cannot tell they lift until they flex or lift something really heavy. You also shrink without losing weight with heavy lifting. I've found cardio (my sport is cardio heavy) and heavy weights are the perfect combination.

• crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    tethar wrote: »
    Being healthy is a NEED, not a want. When I started putting my NEEDS above the rest of my household's WANTS, I don't feel guilty for going for a run/buying more veggies/bringing home less junk/making different dinners for me vs husband and daughter/using the TV to play Zumba on the Xbox (except when Hockey is on because then I'm pretty sure both of them would murder me)

THIS!!! I don't know why I should feel guilty about taking care of myself but I still have a hard time wrapping my head around this.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    1. Sometimes it takes awhile to see yourself how you really look- 56 pounds heavier, I was in denial of how heavy I was. Now how I look matches with how I used to think I looked.
    2. Exercise doesn't only burn calories but feels really good and improves my mood tremendously!
    3. It's not about cutting out foods you love, but rather, being smarter about balancing what you eat.
  • lilbea89
    lilbea89 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    That even though you might feel great and have dropped a size or two, that doesn't mean everyone else around you will notice yet.

So far I have dropped 1-2 sizes and over 25 pounds. I can feel the difference and see the difference in my body. But none of my coworkers, friends, family, fiance, etc had taken notice yet. It was quite frustrating considering how fantastic I feel! But when you see people on a regular basis its hard to notice some things like that. I'm sure I've done that to other people too.

So don't give up! Just use it as motivation to keep going!
  • KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options

mzbek24 wrote: »
    That you can eat fairly healthy food and exercise and still stay the same weight or even put on weight, if you're not eating at a deficit.

My meal portion sizes were all pretty massive and I accidentally maintained at 76kg for years, with several failed attempts to lose weight. I was almost ready to give up, thinking my body just wanted to be that weight because it always bounced back to it if I lost a couple of kilos. With MFP I have now finally got down to 71kg, 7 more to go!

This happened to me, too! Weighing and tracking accurately and just knowing your maintenance versus deficit calories is mind opening!

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    People will ask you how you lost the weight, ignore that advice, and come back and complain to you that they are getting fatter. Story of my life right now.
  • wannabefitgirl25
    wannabefitgirl25 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    that the saying "no pain, no gain" started because there are SO many pains.... pulled muscles, DOMS, so many aches, groans, new feelings, breaking in shoes, headaches, withdrawals (from caffeine or from low carb plans), hunger pains, etc.

Also, that it's mentally exhausting, not just physically exhausting. The mental side of things can be a killer. . .

can't agree more with that one
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    People will comment on your body no matter what you do. You gain weight, everyone comments on how bad you look. You lose weight, everyone comments on your eating habits, you're too skinny, you work out too much, etc. So you just do it for yourself and don't try to please anyone!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    holly55555 wrote: »
    People will comment on your body no matter what you do. You gain weight, everyone comments on how bad you look. You lose weight, everyone comments on your eating habits, you're too skinny, you work out too much, etc. So you just do it for yourself and don't try to please anyone!

SO true.

• virelay129
    virelay129 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    That running has kept me sane.

People can be really mean.

Once you are eating healthy and taking care of yourself, you find that that "cheat day" does more damage than good....especially to your bowels :/

Hanging skin sucks balls. Infections and creams....daily.

Not everyone will be supportive. In fact, some people, even family will be horrible and only point out negatives.

That, whether you know it our not, your changes are being noticedd. My son is taking after his father, but last week asked if he could go on my run...he made it one loop. He is also making better choices food wise :) Melts my heart.

And last but not least, seeing my body change is amazing.
  • ticiaelizabeth
    ticiaelizabeth Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    People always says its 80% diet and 20% exercise. This is all lies. It is 150% mental. I can feel like a million bucks about my journey and progress one day and feel like total s**t the next. It is unpredictability at its finest.