17 day diet?

Options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    cut out all alcohol! and you will all see a major difference ;)

I've lost 54lbs drinking most every weekend! Bring on the wine!
  • Mech9
    Mech9 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Ok guys. Let it go. Honestly, I'd delete the entire thread if I could, it's just discouraging instead of motivating.

@jenniwylie33‌

I'm sorry that the forums can be very rude and brash to people who are just starting out. You're trying, and that's a huge step that a lot of people don't take! I wish some other people would offer constructive advice rather than jump in like a rabid dog.

Anyway, I don't know anything about the 17 day diet, but if that's what gets you interested in nutrition and fitness then by all means! Continue reading about nutrition! Feed your mind with nutrition! Learn about your TDEE - http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ and your BMR - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator and everything else!

At the end of the day all you need to do to be successful is to find what will work for you in the long run. Your methods may change, but your goal to be healthier than you were before will always be the same! =]
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Well if you're on a learning curve good for you - keep maintenance and real life in mind as willpower can only get you so far

You don't want to only get it when you reach my age .. this whole ability to eat appropriately .. I've spent too many years convincing myself I was fine and I didn't like clothes shopping and missing out on stuff because I wasn't fit enough

But if you're a mother you should know that support isn't about always telling someone they're amazing and right, it's about helping them realise what's true and what's garbage.

The diet works because it's controlling your calories for you - get to a point where you can control them for yourself for life and you will be successful

good luck!
  • GlindaGoodwitch
    GlindaGoodwitch Posts: 157 Member
    Options

You report me just because u can't take the truth....pathetic :D nvm

Not me. Maybe you offended more than one person.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Ah. So there have been multiple 'mean people' threads in the past? So I'm not the only one who sees a tone? And yet these threads keep coming. Oh well, they must all have been by stupid/ignorant/stubborn people who refused to see the wisdom of being talked down to, or being called lazy and stupid in an effort to change their eating habits.

OP stated clearly she was trying to re-learn healthy eating habits. She didn't need to be asked if she was a dirt-bike and needed a kick-start. Also, why are you presuming to tell her what will be her down-fall (which coincidentally is your down-fall)?

I'm not getting defensive by the way. I've got nothing to defend. And you can call it white knight-ing all you want, but I'm just calling it like I see it.

Yes, there have been multiple threads, there are also threads, one in particular thanking all the mean people here and admitting that they were right.

I never said cutting out foods entirely was my downfall, but I have been around long enough to see a lot of people fail using that strategy. Out of curiosity, what happens when you reintroduce the foods you cut out? Did you magically learn to eat them in moderation during the time you banned yourself from eating them? Are you special? Or, do you do like most other people do employing that strategy? My bet, you'll do like most people do, gain the weight back and then some. I hope you and the OP prove me wrong, I really do, but history is not on your side. Most people fail as soon as they reintroduce the foods they were afraid of.

Anyway, the OP has gotten plenty of good advice in this thread (the dirt bike comment was a joke, since she said she needed a kickstart, and it's sad that you took offense when she clearly did not), advice she clearly is adamant about rejecting out of hand so there's no reason for me to waste my time trying to help. Good luck to both of you, I genuinely do hope that you are the exception and not the rule. Cheers.

Rigger

• Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,465 Member
    Options
    OP, try it. If it works, its great if not move on. There is no single diet for every one. Do what works for you.
  • Yogi_warrior
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ah. So there have been multiple 'mean people' threads in the past? So I'm not the only one who sees a tone? And yet these threads keep coming. Oh well, they must all have been by stupid/ignorant/stubborn people who refused to see the wisdom of being talked down to, or being called lazy and stupid in an effort to change their eating habits.

OP stated clearly she was trying to re-learn healthy eating habits. She didn't need to be asked if she was a dirt-bike and needed a kick-start. Also, why are you presuming to tell her what will be her down-fall (which coincidentally is your down-fall)?

I'm not getting defensive by the way. I've got nothing to defend. And you can call it white knight-ing all you want, but I'm just calling it like I see it.

Yes, there have been multiple threads, there are also threads, one in particular thanking all the mean people here and admitting that they were right.

I never said cutting out foods entirely was my downfall, but I have been around long enough to see a lot of people fail using that strategy. Out of curiosity, what happens when you reintroduce the foods you cut out? Did you magically learn to eat them in moderation during the time you banned yourself from eating them? Are you special? Or, do you do like most other people do employing that strategy? My bet, you'll do like most people do, gain the weight back and then some. I hope you and the OP prove me wrong, I really do, but history is not on your side. Most people fail as soon as they reintroduce the foods they were afraid of.

Anyway, the OP has gotten plenty of good advice in this thread (the dirt bike comment was a joke, since she said she needed a kickstart, and it's sad that you took offense when she clearly did not), advice she clearly is adamant about rejecting out of hand so there's no reason for me to waste my time trying to help. Good luck to both of you, I genuinely do hope that you are the exception and not the rule. Cheers.

Rigger

It depends, I have seen lot of people stop counting calories once they lose weight and then gain back. I see ton of posts here about people starting it again and again. Its not the fault of a weight loss diet that they gained back the weight. The problem is maintenance, they didn't have a good maintenance plan. Stop blaming weight gain on something which helps you lose weight. Take calorie counting, moderation, low carb, paleo or anything, if some one doesn't have a good maintenance plan they will fail. I rarely eat carbs, every one told me that I can't sustain the life style, but for me its the right fit. I don't even have to use the will power to moderate. I eat what ever I want till I am full and don't even count calories as long as I keep my carbs low enough. There is nothing wrong with a cycle of weight loss diet followed by good maintenance plan, lots of athletes do it.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Why do I feel like this is on the verge of spawning another "mean people" thread?

I don't see this condescension you're seeing. And I don't see it in other threads unless people really take their ignorance to a higher level of stupid and then insist on defending it in the face of facts. This is about help, no matter what you think. We, (the veterans) are speaking from experience, we have been there, done that, and seen the numerous members who have failed and come back.

The fact that you don't have a problem cutting out foods, well, good for you. If that's sustainable, great, for the vast majority of people it is not. White knight all you want, but the fact that you see a tone and get defensive just tells me that you know, and the OP knows that we are right, but are too stubborn to give it up.

Rigger

Yes, there are LOADS of 'mean people' threads. This one's my favourite,

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1088600/dear-mean-people-of-mfp

It's easy to just sigh when you see these threads and just move on and not comment because you can see where it will go (like I did when I first looked at it earlier). Harder to run the gauntlet of 'but x is bad/this will work for me/this will kick start my metabolism' etc. and offer up some sensible advice in the hope that the OP can save themselves some time and hassle, by learning from others mistakes.
  • Yogi_warrior
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »

Why do I feel like this is on the verge of spawning another "mean people" thread?

I don't see this condescension you're seeing. And I don't see it in other threads unless people really take their ignorance to a higher level of stupid and then insist on defending it in the face of facts. This is about help, no matter what you think. We, (the veterans) are speaking from experience, we have been there, done that, and seen the numerous members who have failed and come back.

The fact that you don't have a problem cutting out foods, well, good for you. If that's sustainable, great, for the vast majority of people it is not. White knight all you want, but the fact that you see a tone and get defensive just tells me that you know, and the OP knows that we are right, but are too stubborn to give it up.

Rigger

Yes, there are LOADS of 'mean people' threads. This one's my favourite,

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1088600/dear-mean-people-of-mfp

It's easy to just sigh when you see these threads and just move on and not comment because you can see where it will go (like I did when I first looked at it earlier). Harder to run the gauntlet of 'but x is bad/this will work for me/this will kick start my metabolism' etc. and offer up some sensible advice in the hope that the OP can save themselves some time and hassle, by learning from others mistakes.

Every one is different, OP should learn for herself. The best things I ever did for my fitness was ignore some of the sensible advice which got me no where. There is nothing wrong with trying and I applaud OP for trying to figure out things for herself.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    It depends, I have seen lot of people stop counting calories once they lose weight and then gain back. I see ton of posts here about people starting it again and again. Its not the fault of a weight loss diet that they gained back the weight. The problem is maintenance, they didn't have a good maintenance plan. Stop blaming weight gain on something which helps you lose weight. Take calorie counting, moderation, low carb, paleo or anything, if some one doesn't have a good maintenance plan they will fail. I rarely eat carbs, every told me that I can't sustain the life style, but for me its the right fit. I don't even have to use the will power to moderate. I eat what ever I want till I am full and don't even count calories. There is nothing wrong with a cycle of weight loss diet followed by good maintenance plan, lots of athletes do it.

See, that's just my point, learning to maintain is where people struggle, and cutting out foods to lose weight only to add them back in during maintenance is a recipe for failure for many people. I didn't say that it's a 100% certainty, some people make it work, and that's great, but the vast majority don't.

Rigger

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    you can calorie cycle or carb cycle for free. :) I have done it to break plateaus.
  • Yogi_warrior
    Options
    It depends, I have seen lot of people stop counting calories once they lose weight and then gain back. I see ton of posts here about people starting it again and again. Its not the fault of a weight loss diet that they gained back the weight. The problem is maintenance, they didn't have a good maintenance plan. Stop blaming weight gain on something which helps you lose weight. Take calorie counting, moderation, low carb, paleo or anything, if some one doesn't have a good maintenance plan they will fail. I rarely eat carbs, every told me that I can't sustain the life style, but for me its the right fit. I don't even have to use the will power to moderate. I eat what ever I want till I am full and don't even count calories. There is nothing wrong with a cycle of weight loss diet followed by good maintenance plan, lots of athletes do it.

See, that's just my point, learning to maintain is where people struggle, and cutting out foods to lose weight only to add them back in during maintenance is a recipe for failure for many people. I didn't say that it's a 100% certainty, some people make it work, and that's great, but the vast majority don't.

Rigger

No, learning not to maintain is the problem. not adding back foods. When I cut my weight, I restrict lot of foods. But when I maintain, I add some of them back. They are two different things. What you are referring to is going back to old habits which caused you to gain in first place. The same goes for calorie restriction, people lose weight restricting calories, they go back to old habits, they gain weight. If they have a good maintenance plan, which is different from their old habits, it probably won't be a big deal.
  • trishdg10
    trishdg10 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I did the 17 day plan and I have to say that I did lose 12 pounds. Forget the activate phase. If you want to lose weight just stay on the initial phase. I switched over to MFP after 18 pounds and eventually lost 40. Sometimes you just need to see some quick results then go onto something more realistic. If you stay on a restrictive plan it makes it really hard when you have reached your goal to live like that.
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options

You report me just because u can't take the truth....pathetic :D nvm

Not me. Maybe you offended more than one person.

;(..... :D
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    The important thing to remember with any eating plan is - once the weight comes off, it doesn't stay off unless you are diligent in not letting it come back. Even people who have had weight loss surgery gain the weight back. You have to monitor your eating habits ...continually.

I lost weight with Weight Watchers. It worked. I stopped journaling, I stopped tracking points. (I had also not been eating very nutritiously, but I digress there....) I gained the weight back.

I tried Atkins, doing green smoothies for a couple meals a day, etc. Couldn't keep up with it. Whatever weight I may have lost...came back.

I did MFP before. Worked swell. Stopped logging in, stopped journaling, stopped paying attention to what I ate. Weight came back. Losing weight with MFP also does not mean it won't come back one day....

I am not going to be able to stop logging calories and keeping track of them - because I can not eat "smartly" on my own. I don't want to eat some kind of restrictive diet that is low this or low that or only clean or only vegan...no, no, no! That is boring (though what's funny...if you look at my diary you'll see I eat a lot of the same foods over and over, rofl)

At any rate...I want to be able to eat what foods I want to eat, when I want to eat them. I just need to make sure I don't eat too much of them. In order to keep the weight off when I lose it, I will be weighing myself weekly...and logging my food daily.

If you want to use a certain diet or special plan to do it - fine - go for it - but know that just like counting calories, unless you work at monitoring the food you eat for the rest of your life you'll gain it back.
  • GlindaGoodwitch
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    The important thing to remember with any eating plan is - once the weight comes off, it doesn't stay off unless you are diligent in not letting it come back. Even people who have had weight loss surgery gain the weight back. You have to monitor your eating habits ...continually.

I lost weight with Weight Watchers. It worked. I stopped journaling, I stopped tracking points. (I had also not been eating very nutritiously, but I digress there....) I gained the weight back.

I tried Atkins, doing green smoothies for a couple meals a day, etc. Couldn't keep up with it. Whatever weight I may have lost...came back.

I did MFP before. Worked swell. Stopped logging in, stopped journaling, stopped paying attention to what I ate. Weight came back. Losing weight with MFP also does not mean it won't come back one day....

I am not going to be able to stop logging calories and keeping track of them - because I can not eat "smartly" on my own. I don't want to eat some kind of restrictive diet that is low this or low that or only clean or only vegan...no, no, no! That is boring (though what's funny...if you look at my diary you'll see I eat a lot of the same foods over and over, rofl)

At any rate...I want to be able to eat what foods I want to eat, when I want to eat them. I just need to make sure I don't eat too much of them. In order to keep the weight off when I lose it, I will be weighing myself weekly...and logging my food daily.

If you want to use a certain diet or special plan to do it - fine - go for it - but know that just like counting calories, unless you work at monitoring the food you eat for the rest of your life you'll gain it back.

I love this post so much. I completely agree. I'm really enjoying eating clean at the moment, but life happens, and learning how to incorporate "unclean" (like birthday cake, or whatever it may be) foods without completely falling off the wagon, is really my end game. I'm trying new recipes and stepping out of my comfort zone, and it's challenging, healthy, and a positive change. I will never say "I'm never eating pizza again" but I will say I'm not eating pizza until I have mastered moderation ;)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, all anyone is trying to tell you is that for most people, the "make or break" part of losing weight comes down to figuring out how to eat the foods that are easily accessible and make you happy in moderation. Whether you figure it out now, or in 17 days, or after 4 cycles of 17 days, that is what will determine your success. And in general, when people cut out the foods they love, it might go well in the beginning, but eventually they give in and over-indulge and they end back up at square one.

The reason all these limited-time-diets continue to exist is because they work - for the amount of time they have you restricting. It's when you "transition" off that it falls apart. And people don't want you to have to waste time with all that when you can just do what you need to do right now, which is exactly:
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    set mfp to one pound per week weight loss, and eat to that number
    track everything you eat
    get a food scale and weight all solids and as many liquids as possible
    realize that there are no bad foods and that you can incorporate things like ice cream, cookies, etc into your diet, just balance it out with nutrient dense foods like vegetables, whole grains, chicken, fish, steak, etc….just make sure that you hit your calorie/micro/macro targets
    set your macros to 35% carbs/35% protein/30% fats < you can do that in custom settings..

you don't need some internet 17 day diet gimmick ..

do the above and be honest with your logging and you will have success…

That really is it, you don't have to make it more complicated than that if you don't want to. I used to think I had to do all those jumpstart, quickstart, short term things, but the instructions quoted above is what worked for me, not all the complicated stuff.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck :drinker:
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    We are just telling you the truth.Take it as you want but diets are worthless if u are going to do it only for a short period of time ( couple weeks,months, days).After you end the diet you will go ton junk again.My suggestion is to take things slowly,no one is rushing you.You don't need to go 1000 cal deficit to lose weight.Good things happen slow.Haven't you heard that ?

You. I like you.
  • Annnimal
    Annnimal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow these people are jumping on the marketing scheme big time, I am seeing through this book and see your idea< yes the book may be a scam but what you are saying you need a bible to adhere to, controlling the controllable. We all sometimes need to retrain our brain, we all get in a rut of eating the same crappy foods....good for you to get a "jump start" on your weight loss by trying to get structure by a simple book if thats what it takes to get you going. The point is your here and your doing something Yay! I myself tried the cabbage soup diet for ten days, no it didnt make me super skinny but what it did do was make me realize all the crappy food I would shove into my face on a daily basis and now appreciate the good for me foods and in turn I have understanding now that I can eat lots if I want but just the right foods. I believe you can do this! good luck with your progress, just remember to keep it slow and steady and there is light at the end of the tunnel!

lol Honestly its sounding like these peoples glucose levels are down and should eat an apple( not a snickers guys)!

Its a daily battle we all are going through, thats why we are here so some real support would be awesome. Instead of why her book might not work or how she will fail, how about some encouragement of what is working for you..... maybe she can learn tips of her book and create an awesome plan encorporated with knowledge from yourselves.
  • GlindaGoodwitch
    Options
    Annnimal wrote: »
    Wow these people are jumping on the marketing scheme big time, I am seeing through this book and see your idea< yes the book may be a scam but what you are saying you need a bible to adhere to, controlling the controllable. We all sometimes need to retrain our brain, we all get in a rut of eating the same crappy foods....good for you to get a "jump start" on your weight loss by trying to get structure by a simple book if thats what it takes to get you going. The point is your here and your doing something Yay! I myself tried the cabbage soup diet for ten days, no it didnt make me super skinny but what it did do was make me realize all the crappy food I would shove into my face on a daily basis and now appreciate the good for me foods and in turn I have understanding now that I can eat lots if I want but just the right foods. I believe you can do this! good luck with your progress, just remember to keep it slow and steady and there is light at the end of the tunnel!

lol Honestly its sounding like these peoples glucose levels are down and should eat an apple( not a snickers guys)!

Its a daily battle we all are going through, thats why we are here so some real support would be awesome. Instead of why her book might not work or how she will fail, how about some encouragement of what is working for you..... maybe she can learn tips of her book and create an awesome plan encorporated with knowledge from yourselves.

<3 Thank you!