17 day diet?

Options

Replies

• Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    NataBost wrote: »
    We are just telling you the truth.Take it as you want but diets are worthless if u are going to do it only for a short period of time ( couple weeks,months, days).After you end the diet you will go ton junk again.My suggestion is to take things slowly,no one is rushing you.You don't need to go 1000 cal deficit to lose weight.Good things happen slow.Haven't you heard that ?

You. I like you.

:)
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I understand what you are trying to do! People just like to judge. I say, whatever works! If it motivates you, get you going, and more aware of the foods you eat... then great!

I started my weight loss by doing Atkins induction phase (14 days) when you only eat 20g of net carbs a day. I lost 10lbs in the first week (I am fully aware that most of that is water weight), 2lbs in the 2nd week. After the induction, I have re-introduced healthy carbs by increments of about 10g per week. Now I eat anywhere from 80-150g of carbs daily. After losing about 15lbs, I decided it was time for me to start with moderation, meaning that I could eat foods that used to be triggers for binging. I couldn't have done that in the beginning since I was mentally addicted to those foods that I used as a security blanket (ate out of boredom, stress, or straight up self hate...). Even when I re-introduced them, it wasn't all nice and easy. It took me a few weeks to gain balance and peace with my eating habits.

At first I had cut sugar big time, now I enjoy treats and fruits without guilt, and it hasn't hindered my weight loss. I have been losing consistently 1-2lbs a week since the beginning (well, you know what I mean, it averages to that since weight loss is FAR from linear, like they say!).

I can safely say that I am in that place where I can eat pretty much whatever I want now, since I have changed my perception of what I really want to eat. I don't want to eat chips and such for breakfast. I want to eat nutritious food. And I want my calories to count, so I don't waste it on anything I come across, I enjoy with treats that I really love. I also eat pasta and rice and all kinds of carbs (yesterday I ate lasagna and oven baked bread with cheese, it was awesome!) but what I have noticed is how much smaller my portions are in comparison to how I used to eat. I don't feel stuffed or sick anymore!

I am not perfect all the time, there are days I failed and ate like I used to. And I felt so sick, I remembered WHY I didn't want to eat like this anymore.

Anyway, I support your choice of becoming in control of what you eat and wish you to find that healthy balance we all strive toward. It's a long and hard journey, but I know you can get there. I hope that you will find with this kick-start a way to build your momentum and keep it going while making this lifestyle change. Wishing you the best of luck! ♥
  • GlindaGoodwitch
    GlindaGoodwitch Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That is where I'm at - getting in control, finding a healthy balance, and being excited to do it. Committed. :)
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree that eating in moderation is key.

I am not currently disciplined enough to do that, which is why I wanted something with more structure, and work up to eating in moderation. Clearly what I WAS eating, wasn't working, so I wanted a plan, and a change. This is what I chose.

So here is the thing. People on this website will go ape*** whenever anyone references a diet that has a name. It doesn't matter what it is. That is what is going to happen.

Similarly, a lot (but not all) people here will attack anyone who has decided to eliminate a food group and tell them they will fail. You haven't even said that and people attacked you for it.

If you don't call this "the 17 day diet" and just say that you're eating much healthier and following a plan where you reintroduce carbs slowly and try to increase protein and veggies then it ends up being basically how all the naysayers eat anyways. But then someone will pipe in and claim they eat poptarts all day long and how dare you do things differently because they are fine (exaggeration, but you get the picture.)

Basically you're always going to get crap from people here.

However, be aware that when a diet is marketing something a lot of the claims are false. The whole "kick start" thing is not really based in science and a lot of his claims are going to be kind of wonky. But if you feel good and are hitting your calorie goals that's all that matters. Good luck :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That is where I'm at - getting in control, finding a healthy balance, and being excited to do it. Committed. :)

I did this "diet" back in 2010...lost 25lbs in the first 3 phases...gained it back + 5, lost another 25lbs in 2012....gained it back plus another 10...lost another 25lbs in 2013 (Jan-April) and started gaining it back again...I have the pics to prove it....I have the book, followed it to the letter. BTW the taco salad has over 700 calories the way I make it...

But here I am in March of 2015 60lbs lost....how...not the 17day diet...all that did was make me yo yo...can you lose weight on it? Sure can...can you keep it off just with that....Heck no.

And to top it all off I have learned lots since then..I would be surprised if anyone on it is getting over 1200 calories a day and with no to little carbs (except veggies) no energy to exercise...since I stopped with that "diet" I did 30DS 2x, started lifting heavy and have continued with that MFP, eating all the foodz and weighing 145lbs and wearing a size 4...the 17day diet can't do that for you.

I am not trying to rain on your parade but it's a crock and only works for a while. Find something sustainable that will keep you healthy, energetic and you can work with.

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Annnimal wrote: »
    Wow these people are jumping on the marketing scheme big time, I am seeing through this book and see your idea< yes the book may be a scam but what you are saying you need a bible to adhere to, controlling the controllable. We all sometimes need to retrain our brain, we all get in a rut of eating the same crappy foods....good for you to get a "jump start" on your weight loss by trying to get structure by a simple book if thats what it takes to get you going. The point is your here and your doing something Yay! I myself tried the cabbage soup diet for ten days, no it didnt make me super skinny but what it did do was make me realize all the crappy food I would shove into my face on a daily basis and now appreciate the good for me foods and in turn I have understanding now that I can eat lots if I want but just the right foods. I believe you can do this! good luck with your progress, just remember to keep it slow and steady and there is light at the end of the tunnel!

lol Honestly its sounding like these peoples glucose levels are down and should eat an apple( not a snickers guys)!

Its a daily battle we all are going through, thats why we are here so some real support would be awesome. Instead of why her book might not work or how she will fail, how about some encouragement of what is working for you..... maybe she can learn tips of her book and create an awesome plan encorporated with knowledge from yourselves.

Meh..I went snickers. Not sure why I wouldn't.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am not currently disciplined enough to do that, which is why I wanted something with more structure, and work up to eating in moderation. Clearly what I WAS eating, wasn't working, so I wanted a plan, and a change. This is what I chose.

So here is the thing. People on this website will go ape*** whenever anyone references a diet that has a name. It doesn't matter what it is. That is what is going to happen.

Similarly, a lot (but not all) people here will attack anyone who has decided to eliminate a food group and tell them they will fail. You haven't even said that and people attacked you for it.

If you don't call this "the 17 day diet" and just say that you're eating much healthier and following a plan where you reintroduce carbs slowly and try to increase protein and veggies then it ends up being basically how all the naysayers eat anyways. But then someone will pipe in and claim they eat poptarts all day long and how dare you do things differently because they are fine (exaggeration, but you get the picture.)

However, be aware that when a diet is marketing something a lot of the claims are false. The whole "kick start" thing is not really based in science and a lot of his claims are going to be kind of wonky. But if you feel good and are hitting your calorie goals that's all that matters. Good luck :)

not true...people who do 5:2 diet don't get jumped on or those who choose weight watchers...fyi

And if the 17 day diet was how you described it that would be one thing but it's not. It's about eating fruit before 2pm, not having starches after 2pm (once they are allowed), you eat carbs the entire time but not starches. It's about "boosting metabolism" with food, "kick starting" something (I have the book but not right here), there is a lot to it...rules about this, timing of eating stuff. It never talks about calories or macros or explain how to lose weight or why this works like it does (mainly water weight at first, then you are VLCD...hence the 17mins of exercise only)...perhaps before people say go for it they should read the book same as those who say it's a crock (not they aren't right).

No one ever claims they eat pop tarts all day long...but we do eat pop tarts (I prefer toaster strudel)

• GlindaGoodwitch
    Options

Yes, I'm quickly learning there are buzz words that make people go wild! Lesson learned. oy.
  • limetree683
    limetree683 Posts: 51 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what happens when you reintroduce the foods you cut out? Did you magically learn to eat them in moderation during the time you banned yourself from eating them? Are you special? Or, do you do like most other people do employing that strategy? My bet, you'll do like most people do, gain the weight back and then some. I hope you and the OP prove me wrong, I really do, but history is not on your side. Most people fail as soon as they reintroduce the foods they were afraid of.

Well, here's what's happened so far. I come from a culture where our staple foods are bread and rice. I no longer build every meal around them as I've taught myself about alternative ways of eating and find it much easier to stick to the 80/20 rule of thumb. I recently tried eating some dessert high in refined sugar, and because this food is no longer on my radar as something I need to have around, I don't really have cravings for it anymore, and in fact when I tried some it gave me a headache and affected my workout performance, so I won't be in a rush to try some again on a daily basis just out of habit.

Special? Probably not. Different to you? Evidently. I don't know why so many are finding it hard to believe.

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Lolz.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Lolz.

Meanie
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    What happens on day 18?

I don't believe in fad, packaged up to market, diets

just eat to a calorie defecit - job done!

This^
  • limetree683
    limetree683 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Lolz.

Meanie

Grow up.
  • GlindaGoodwitch
    Options
    If you look into "what happens on day 18" I think you'll find its really not as dramatic as you're making it out to be. It gradually incorporates different food until you're in a maintenance cycle ie. "Moderation."
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Lolz.

Meanie

Grow up.

Pot meet kettle.
  • ingridehikwe
    ingridehikwe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what happens when you reintroduce the foods you cut out? Did you magically learn to eat them in moderation during the time you banned yourself from eating them? Are you special? Or, do you do like most other people do employing that strategy? My bet, you'll do like most people do, gain the weight back and then some. I hope you and the OP prove me wrong, I really do, but history is not on your side. Most people fail as soon as they reintroduce the foods they were afraid of.

Well, here's what's happened so far. I come from a culture where our staple foods are bread and rice. I no longer build every meal around them as I've taught myself about alternative ways of eating and find it much easier to stick to the 80/20 rule of thumb. I recently tried eating some dessert high in refined sugar, and because this food is no longer on my radar as something I need to have around, I don't really have cravings for it anymore, and in fact when I tried some it gave me a headache and affected my workout performance, so I won't be in a rush to try some again on a daily basis just out of habit.

Special? Probably not. Different to you? Evidently. I don't know why so many are finding it hard to believe.

Well put!
  • kc_112
    kc_112 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm starting tomorrow! I did buy the book for kindle but am also finding so many great things on Pinterest. Add me if you'd like - I'd love to have a friend to do this with!
  • GlindaGoodwitch
    Options
    I am so loving this. I don't think I've ever eaten better - consistently - in my life!
  • fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Me too. I don't eat "some chips" I eat ALL THE CHIPS. It's not right. I need to fix it.

I used to feel exactly as you do. I think it's from growing up in a house with four kids. If you wanted some Toaster Strudels, you better get on that ASAP or else they'll be GONE. Same with any other tasty foods like chips or ice cream (really, some siblings would eat the cookie dough out of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream or all the marshmallows out of a box of Lucky Charms). For years, I thought I simply couldn't eat these foods. Right now, I have a half-full bag of Spicy Thai kettle cooked chips in the cupboard (untouched since I last measured out an exact 150 gram portion on Monday) and chocolate ice cream in the freezer of indeterminate age. NEVER thought that would happen.

I've done tons of restrictive diets, the mother of all was the month I did a raw vegan diet. Keto, low carb, 17 day, 4 hour body, lots of them. I did this horrible all smoothie raw diet sold by Ani Phyo. None of them taught me the self-control or self-discipline I needed to develop on my own. Not everyone is like me. Maybe some people can re-learn some other habits based off a restrictive diet. I hope it helps.

But I just wanted to tell you that I thought I'd eat all the chips. But I don't. I know they're there in the cupboard. And I have learned to tell myself I can have them. In the proper portion (love you, digital food scale) and when they fit within my calorie goal for the day. If someone would've told me I'd get this level of control on my own just a few months ago...I'd never have believed them. I hope you can get there someday...however you do it.
  • mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I personally don't do the fad diets. I just stick to the simple calories in calories out & some exercise. But I think if this works for you, you lose weight, & learn about healthy choices & nutrition along the way.. Then you go for it girl! :smile: