Replies

• mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    @Tanya-Glad the chiropractor helped.
    @Cblue- Congrats on a full mile.
    @Kah-Prayers for your health and your friend/coworker
    @RobinsEgss- Your dinner sounds pretty yummy congrats on cooking at home
    @MountMary- Well Target closed all Canada stores if but there hasn’t been talk yet of closing USA stores. The first round of layoffs are coming up soon rumor has it next week sometime. But we will be layoff many times over the next 2 years is what it sounds like. School is going really well since I dropped the math class. I replaced it with a Lit class that is totally fun.
    @Karen- I chuckled at your teaching comment also.
    @Hansea- The fundraiser sounds fun

AFM- I am going to get my hair colored this weekend and per weather man the sun should be out and temps above freezing so get some outside walking in. Also going to talk more with my son on school or job, he hasn’t asked me for any money but I don’t want him to just be a bum either. I have 2 tests to take for economics this weekend also.
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @For those struggling…I hope you can find your MoJo again. It’s frustrating to have to “start over” but that’s all we really can do isn’t it? Whether we’ve had a bad day, week, month, or year we can just wake up and do what we need. One foot in front of the other. Can’t change the past so just let it go.
    @Lori….GREAT JOB ON THE MILE!
    @Susan…this year we moved from an August start to an after Labor Day start. Our school year ends on June 4th. We haven’t had any snow days yet so that’s a good thing – our school district doesn’t work in any snow days. If we do miss a day for weather, we just take away a holiday. Two years ago, we had started like August 15th. That year, we had flown home from our summer vacation and the kids started school the next day. If I had my way, we’d start the very end of August and end just before Memorial Day. And speaking of teenage hormones - Olivia is the name of my son’s “desire” but she’s a talented Alto Sax student so he’s kind of stepped up his game to try to impress her. :wink:
    @Barb…32 calories doesn’t even really count…I believe our goal is to stay within 100 either way of our goal…that’s a pretty good day!
    @Kelley…I had the ablation in 2012 and I agree…best thing ever. Still see TOM for a day but that's a major improvement over before. I know the snow raises havoc in TX (and so many other places) but you kinda are getting the best of both worlds --- the pretty snow for a day or two and then it melts and you’re back to warm temperatures!
    @Erin…with your workouts, I’d be exhausted and probably not able to move. You’re doing great.
    @Karen…I also had the “mean” parents when I was growing up. But around age 19, my Mom became one of my best friends and I probably talked to her every week on the phone. That’s always been in the back of my mind as I have to discipline/set rules for my kids…it’ll pay off when they are adults.

AFM…Went to the gym last night and did cardio on the treadmill. My knee was bothering me so it was a very slow walk but I made sure to use the incline to make it a bit more challenging – when I got to a 7 incline, I felt like I had to hold on for dear life! A call to my chiropractor is in order as it’s been 2 weeks that this darn knee keeps locking up on me and causing me trouble. Lifting tonight and then water aerobics on Saturday morning.

Friday truth? My son has a church Lock In tonight and a sleep over at a friend’s house on Saturday and I am SO excited. We’ve really struggled this last month because of some grades and of course he gets mad at me. We just remind him that the punishment is due to his lack of working hard at his grades, but I still get the slamming door, stomping and frowns. I love him, but maybe I’ll like him better after not seeing him for two days. HA! Although I was proud of him last night; he came and asked to talk about the current arrangement. He calmly then told me that he feels he is only getting punished for the bad things he does and no acknowledgement for the good grades. He gets more As and Bs but each week he has had at least one D or F on an assignment. I told him his dad and I would discuss it. We have decided that he has a valid point (I don’t want him thinking on Monday that he got an F so why work at all the rest of the week). We are going to start looking at his percentage of grades. If 20% of his grades are poor, he will lose 20% of the week for all electronics, TV etc. If he turns in a late assignment, he will lose the entire week as that is totally under his control.

Otherwise my plans include a house cleaning, shopping for some spring decorations for my house and spending some fun time with Emma. Although I’m pretty sure I won’t see much of her with 50 & 60 degree weather – she’ll be around the neighborhood on her bike.

Yesterday’s goals:
    75 oz of water - yes
    Calorie goal - yes
    Gym – yes
    Bed by 10:30 – not even close

Today’s goals:
    75 oz of water
    Calorie goal
    Gym
    Deliver the week’s worth of Girl Scout Cookies
    Finish off the camouflaged football cake

March so far:
    Cardio – 2 / 3
    Lifting – 1 / 2
    Water – 5 / 5
    Calories – 4 / 6
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    @skinnyjeanz - Every time I hear "stomach flu", I flash to Emily Blunt's character in The Devil wears Prada when she says "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight". Not at all the way to go for weight loss, so I hope you're feeling better.

AFM - After my pity party yesterday when my weekly weigh in only netted .6 of a pound, today I'm down another 1.2. Just another lesson in staying the course and having faith.

Due to the snow in the NE, DD and SIL to-be had their flight to Florida cancelled this morning. She called and said they found a flight tomorrow that comes through Charlotte and will be here for 8 hrs. I feel like I won the lottery!!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

2015 Mantras:

Live like someone left the gate open (Live Joyously)
    Persevere

• jennbo83
    jennbo83 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    @tlh0407 – sorry to hear your knee is giving you trouble. Great job on modifying your exercis. I hope your chiropractor helps!

@Lives2Travel – great job on your weight loss!!

Happy Friday! I dropped another 4 pounds this week. I am very pleased especially since I haven’t been able to exercise with this pain in my shoulder. I see my chiropractor tomorrow. I know she will make it all better! Sunday I am planning on going on one of my favorite hikes! I can’t wait to get outside and hit the trails!
    My current struggle is that my coworker brought in donuts for everyone and one of them is staring at me. I won’t eat it, it isn’t worth it. But every time I hear someone say “oh who brought the donuts” “those are always the best donuts!” I feel an urge to jump up from my seat and go get one!
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Hello All,
    @kah68‌ - Ouch, that heel is tough one. I feel for you.

@Ellen - We all have the opportunity to start over every day. Make your day count.

@tlh0407‌ - I used to live for those times my children had away. Don't get me wrong I love them with all my heart. But it is nice to miss them once in a while. Enjoy your time.

@skinnyjeans - My MIL sounds a lot like yours. She was bipolar and was institutionalized off and on for the last 10 years of her life. She scammed, cajoled and floated through life pissing off everyone around her. One day she was crossing the street and was hit by a car and I cried at her funeral because I knew it was finally over.

AFM - Friday Fitness, Not physical fitness today, mental fitness. I realized today that I can take some of this determination for my health and well being and apply it to my marriage. Hubby and I had a great talk last night. Yes, there is still blaming going on, finger pointing and yelling, crying etc. but he said that he is willing to work on himself. We are miles apart on some things. I need to be told he loves me. I need physical touch, not only sex but hugs and cuddles. He finally admitted he hates to be touched. He is willing to work on this with the counselor. I am willing to work on not being so resentful and allowing my frustration to control me. I am willing to try this until my birthday in June.
    One of my favorite quotes is "Rome wasn't built in a day, but they worked on it every day". I am willing to see what we can build together in the next 4 months and at that time I will reassess. If I feel we are working toward something worthwhile then I will agree to continue. If not then I will take my leave. I think this is more than fair and gives us both the opportunity to look at ourselves and our part in the mess we have made. Then see what we can do to build a better relationship.

Love to all,
    Lori <3
  • soosun
    soosun Posts: 128
    Options
    Checking in and love reading all the good things we do every day. Read an article last night that said in essence that while we are on earth it is what we bring to others to meet their needs that counts in iife. Getting the job done. Nice to see that everyone is bringing something to their own lives to get the weight off. Inspiring. I am on for food today and that is my goal getting restarted into a groove of losing weight. Thanks for listening.
  • Lives2Travel
    Options
    Check in for today:

1. At or under calories 6/7 days every week and at or under as a weekly average. 5/6

2. Walk at least 6 times per week, at least 3 miles each walk. 4/6

3. Note daily calories and miles in calendar and weight on Thursday morning. 6/6

4. Check in here every day if only to read the posts and keep current on the thread. 6/6

2015 Mantras:

Persevere
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    No fast food today. I am completely exhausted... after work a friend joined me for some hiking and geocaching along the frozen river. Not sure how far we went, but my total steps for today was 27,000 :o Just before we left for home she told me with all those steps I could go get myself a Big Mac. I didn't even bat an eye, and said nah, maybe a sub instead. Then I came home and had a yummy bowl of lentil soup.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Robin- The roads cleared up and dried enough that I was able to make it to climbing. It was a good climb. We ended up with about 6 inches of snow. I hope that was Winter's last hurrah.

Lives2travel- It is amazing the difference a day can make with weight loss. Great job staying the course.

tlh- Your comment about how your son has stepped up his game due to a girl made me laugh. I see that a lot with the 8th graders when they are interested in someone smarter than they are it works great for them until the break up.

Hansea- I already do a variety of activities. It may be time to change up the food again and reduce calories.

Karen-Sorry to hear that you were sick again but at least it was only 24 hour stomach bug. Good luck with the PT and I hope they find something that works.

Jenn- Great job on the weight loss.

I had a great time climbing tonight and even tackled a new route that was a 10.c. I am modifying my exercise plans for tomorrow. Instead of swimming, I will go to the gym and get the fast pace running in since I have already been to the pool 3x this week. Then on Sunday, I go to the pool then hit the gym to bike. Still to icy and snowy here to ride outside. Spring temps are on the way next week. Looking forward to the 40-50's.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @laurie--glad you enjoyed your climb tonight. Yes, we are supposed to be in the 40s and 50 through the 10-day forecast. My hope is the temps continue to rise from there--I'm so over the cold.

@tanya--great job hiking and resisting your friend's suggestion to reward yourself with fast food. You'll get much better reward--great health and fitness!

@soosun--so great to see you back!

@lori--it's great to hear that your husband is willing to work on himself and your marriage. I'm not quite at the point of wishing my MIL the fate yours received, but I do wish she would leave us alone. Twelve crazy messages this week.

@jennbo--awesome that you are still losing weight despite your injury. I hope your chiro can fix your shoulder.

@L2T-haha! As I was at my sickest on Wed., I tried to grasp onto that "silver lining." I did weigh in at the low end of my normal range yesterday and today, but my illness didn't stick around long enough to hit a new low on the scale. I count that as fortunate since I know that type of loss would be short-lived. Glad you get to see your daughter.

@tracy (tlh)--I think a parent wanting some "away" time from her children is healthy. I hope you enjoy your 2 nights "off."

@holly--are you changing hair color? I'm due to get mine done as well. I've finally gotten most of the red out, so will continue with the light blond highlights on dark blond base. I'm terrible though b/c I get bored of the same color pretty quickly.

@amanda--your busy weekend plans make me tired just reading them! Have fun at the fundraiser!

AFM--I'm feeling much better today, but stressed for a variety of reasons.
    Reason #1: I'm so behind in grading due to being sick. I got a bunch of journals done, but I MUST finish all 60 junior research paper outlines by Wed. when my students will begin their outside research. My goal is to get them all done this weekend.

Reason #2: Our negotiations aren't going that well. We are making progress, but things got really heated. The lawyer representing the other side of the table accused one of my colleagues of trying to intimidate her b/c he was looking at her while she was speaking. Then she verbally attacked our IEA rep who sits in to advise us when we caucus. She's really a piece of work! Anyway, we were hoping to have a tentative agreement before spring break, but I doubt that will happen.

Reason #3: (Can those of you playing along at home guess this one?) The MIL. As I mentioned above to lori, she's left twelve messages this week. All of them either attacking my SIL or me. She's angry that I won't return her calls to discuss my DH's "welfare." I don't need to discuss it with her b/c I already know he's fine--I live with him. She accused me of having a "big life insurance policy on him." Seriously!?!? She also leaves him "loving" messages telling him that she feels he's being abused by both me and his sister and that "no one" (meaning me) should tell him not to have a relationship with his own mother. My husband keeps apologizing for her behavior and asking me what he should do to make her stop, but I don't have an answer.

Anyway, enough about the negative. Tomorrow I plan to go to the gym and spend the rest of the day grading. I want to get a lot done b/c Sunday I have plans to meet my sister, bil, and niece for lunch. Then I'm meeting friends out for Irish Funday Sunday in the neighborhood where I grew up.

March Challenge:
    At or under calories 5/7 days every week and at or under as a weekly average.
    All-in strength challenge=core work 3 x/week; PT 1-2 x/week; run 3 x/week:
    Week 1: x/3 core; PT DONE; x/3 runs
    Week 2: x/3 core; PT; x/3 runs
    Week 3: x/3 core; PT; x/3 runs
    Week 4: x/3 core; PT; x/3 runs
    8k at end of month (not sure what day) in 55 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k = 56:49, NYE 8k = 57:47, 1/25 = 55:41; 2/28=55:15)

Grading Goals:
    1. 40/64 BNW journal reflections
    2. 3/64 AP essays
    3. 7/16 AP analysis activities
    4. x/60 JRP outlines

Exercise Goals: (week 1)
    Sun--rest day
    Mon--walk gunner NOT DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Tues--meeting
    Wed--walk gunner NOT DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Thurs--PT DONE
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner + gym

2015 mantra "Just 15 minutes"

• hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Saturday Success: I got up early on a Saturday and did my 30 DS. I also made a list of cleaning that still needs to be done while I'm at work. Hoping the kids are agreeable and my husband helps them so it all gets done before I get home around 1230/100. He wants to go take my car for an oil change/tune up as soon as I get home, so I will likely take his car and go check out first communion dresses with my daughter.

March:
    Calorie Goal- 4/21
    Exercise Goal- 4/12
    Veggie Goal-17/93 servings
    Lift Goal: 3/8
    Leg Press-185/200
    Squats-180/200
    Abs- 152.5/165
    Back- 152.5/165
    Triceps- 82.5/90
    Biceps- 82.5/90

2015 Mantra: You Know Better! ~and~ Finish This Baby!

• NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    G'mornin to all ... My Saturday Success is NSV today. Did I mention before I had a flat tire and drove a couple of miles on it with the tire off the rim? That was actually last week. Since then I've been driving on the donut spare. I bought all new tires in 2012 and they are guaranteed for 80,000 miles of road wear so I am hoping the place I bought them from will replace this one ... but I had to find the receipt to prove I bought them and their warranty. I searched high and low and through all my storage files without success ... until this morning! The receipt was right where it belonged, along with all the other auto receipts, so I think an angel must have pushed me to look yet one more time. Hurray. Monday, I will drive to the town 25 miles away where I bought them. I expect I'll need to replace 2 tires and 1 wheel.

March goals ... How did I manage to go over on calories yesterday? Oh yes, it was that wedge of pie I brought home from the butcher shop. However, I am walking!

No personals today as I have a very busy schedule and just wanted to pop in and share. Wish I had crazy MILs and growing kids or hubbies to talk about with you ... but it's just me and my cat.

Follow-through
    Niki
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. Everything has been going pretty good on my end. The son has settled into his job and the hubby is on his final week home. I live in the one little corner of our country getting great weather so been enjoying that. Todays plan is to get a bunch of yardwork done and then tomorrow is hiking and dinner at the in laws. I have been having some nice steady losses even on tom week which has never happened :) I only have 6.5 pounds left till twoderville. I cant wait. Not only do I want the weight loss but my hair really needs to be done and I banned any girly fun things until I get there lol. Well I got to get ready to walk the dogs. I hope you all have a great day :):)
  • soosun
    soosun Posts: 128
    Options
    Good day yesterday for food. Went out to movie and dinner after and selected food to stay under calories for the day. It is going well.
    Goal is to stay within caloires and make good choices for food. Good to be getting back into a better rhythym with food and self.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    No fast food today. Another 15,000 steps, another hike on the frozen river. Same for tomorrow, though it will be a much longer hike than today. I'm making my home made protein bars again today, this time I'm adding shredded coconut. The lick taste passed the test with flying colours. It's going to be very hard to eat only one bar a day... I may have to add that to my fast food update!
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone. Its been a busy couple of days. On a happy note, my typical Texas weather has returned--gorgeous day today, sunny and in the 60s so got out for a 3-mile walk with a friend this afternoon. Achilles wasn't happy with it, but did it anyway (still not sure what doctor's plans are). Also, had appt for cut/color so got that done as well. Now figuring out menu for next week.

@Tammy~Hooray for the consistent losses you're logging lately, you'll make that milestone soon! I'm glad to hear that your son is settling into the new job.

@Karen~I'm sorry you were down with a stomach flu, glad it was short-lived and you're feeling better.

@Laurie~Glad the roads cleared enough for you to go climbing yesterday. I hope we've seen the last of old man winter.

@Lori~Glad you and hubby were able to communicate and that he's going to work on himself--I hope these next few months prove positive for your relationship.

AFM~Not much to report. Although, I do have a job interview on Monday afternoon--the university I graduated from called me regarding a position in their accounting/financial reporting department. It would be a great opportunity and challenging, close proximity to home which is nice. I hope it goes well, we'll see.

Don't forget we Spring Forward Sunday morning at 2 a.m. :sleeping:
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @tanya--our sidewalks sort of resembled half-frozen rivers with all of the melting snow and ice. I tried to be strategic while walking gunner, but my feet were soaked by the time we got home.

@soosun--what movie did you see?

@tammy--awesome that you are losing steadily again! Next stop = Twoderville!! :smile:

@niki--glad you found the receipt for your tires.

@amanda--how are you liking 30DS? I did it a couple of years ago and thought it was pretty good. Your lifting loads are really impressive. I was only up to 100 lbs for squats and 110 for deadlifts last summer when I was lifting heavy. Now with the shoulder injury, I can't even do either with just the 45 lb bar. I do still do leg presses pretty regularly--I'm at 207 lbs for those (our machine default is 167 without any weight added).

Saturday Success:
    Made it out with gunner and to the gym. Did my core work and ran 2 miles. I then tried the stationary bike, but only lasted a bout 7 minutes before the positioning started to bother my shoulder.

Now I'm finishing up at starbucks. Got through 5 outlines but plan to do more when I get home.

March Challenge:
    At or under calories 5/7 days every week and at or under as a weekly average.
    Week 1: At/under calories 4/7 (but one day I was only over by 7 calories) UNDER FOR WK
    All-in strength challenge=core work 3 x/week; PT 1-2 x/week; run 3 x/week:
    Week 1: 1/3 core; PT DONE; 1/3 runs (sick most of week though)
    Week 2: x/3 core; PT; x/3 runs
    Week 3: x/3 core; PT; x/3 runs
    Week 4: x/3 core; PT; x/3 runs
    8k at end of month (not sure what day) in 55 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k = 56:49, NYE 8k = 57:47, 1/25 = 55:41; 2/28=55:15)

Grading Goals:
    1. 40/64 BNW journal reflections
    2. 3/64 AP essays
    3. 7/16 AP analysis activities
    4. 5/60 JRP outlines

Exercise Goals: (week 1)
    Sun--rest day
    Mon--walk gunner NOT DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Tues--meeting
    Wed--walk gunner NOT DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Thurs--PT DONE
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE

2015 mantra "Just 15 minutes"
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Report on goals for March:
    Strength training 3/3
    Exercise 7/7
    Log food and exercise 7/7
    Stay within calorie goals 5/7
    Not to make anyone jealous, but I walked 5 miles today in my shirt sleeves, enjoying the sunshine and the crocuses and daffodils blooming. My daffodils started blooming yesterday, and I got some pansies for my porch planter. I didn't get them planted today so I guess I will do that on Monday. I don't 'work' on Sunday.
    On Wednesday DH had his regular check up with the dermatologist. As a result he has an appointment for surgery to remove a squamus cell skin cancer on his hand. We have to do that on Tuesday.
    I'm happy to see so many of you losing consistently. That's what its all about.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • Lives2Travel
    Options
    Check in for today:

1. At or under calories 6/7 days every week and at or under as a weekly average. 6/7 days - 1/1 weeks

2. Walk at least 6 times per week, at least 3 miles each walk. 5/7 days -0/1 weeks

3. Note daily calories and miles in calendar and weight on Thursday morning. 7/7 days - 1/1 weeks

4. Check in here every day if only to read the posts and keep current on the thread. 7/7 days - 1/1 weeks

2015 Mantras:

Persevere

• RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Whether or not they were deliberate, but reading through the posts to catch up I had 5 or 6 good belly laughs, and I needed them - thanks ! Too many posts to comment, and I am bushed! The bad results of fmy having fallen into a grand funk are causing some problems - I have always had insomnia and its so bad now, I'm staying up til 4:30am or so, and usually falling asleep wherever I am, and waking with dreadful kinks in my body. This morning I awoke in a straight back chair by my file cabinet at 10:30 am, only by the urge to..well, you know. So many other responsibilities fell by the wayside as well, and the filing is still out of hand after many hours of sifting through papers today. And I have pots and pans all over the house as the kitchen just doesn't hold them all. I still don't have enough flexibility to use my bottom drawers or shelves.

The knees rebel when I use the stairs. So I compromised today and only walked down them. My weight is back to my starting weight. Yep. That's right. And I am bummed out badly. Mad at myself. So mad I am not going to buy any more food that is an indulgence. I have not gone to shop all week and all the tempting food is gone, except if I were to bake something. I don't think that will happen any time soon.

Sure am proud of the rest of you and your gung-ho spirit, even those of you who are sick are still trying. Thank you all for inspiring me.