The most ridiculous diet tips you've ever heard?

Replies

• MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Some hippie diet about drinking lemon juice with honey and pepper for a week.
  • GlamourVintage
    GlamourVintage Posts: 60 Member
    Someone told me that the first 5-10 pounds I lose, is just water weight. After that is fat being burned.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Someone told me that the first 5-10 pounds I lose, is just water weight. After that is fat being burned.

That....that's kind of true. Sort of.

Most people lose a TON the first week or so...mostly water. Loss should slow down to a healthy rate after that, because fat loss will be much slower. For example, I lost 5 pounds the first week, then about .75 per week after that. Which is pretty standard.
  • GlamourVintage
    GlamourVintage Posts: 60 Member
    EWJLang wrote: »

That....that's kind of true. Sort of.

Most people lose a TON the first week or so...mostly water. Loss should slow down to a healthy rate after that, because fat loss will be much slower. For example, I lost 5 pounds the first week, then about .75 per week after that. Which is pretty standard.

That might be true for most people. I lost about 1 pound the first week. After that was 1-2 pounds. I kept the pounds off for a few months. I thought water weight "loss" is suppose to creep back?
  • JaneLane33
    JaneLane33 Posts: 80 Member
    writerkat wrote: »
    Come on people, there is a miracle diet in Woman's World every single week, don't you read???

usually there is a triple layer chocolate cake recipe in the same issue!
  • compgeek812
    compgeek812 Posts: 57 Member
    The dumbest I've heard this week are:
    1. Magnets on your toes
    2. Wrap stomach in kelp
    3. Eat whatever you want and use Alli to remove all traces of fat from your food
    4. Eat a calorie surplus but just restrict carbs
    5. Use a waist trainer to compress fat and train stomach to look smaller all the time

• BetterThanExpected
    BetterThanExpected Posts: 104 Member
    Someone once told me that if you eat dairy with your food then the food won't absorb as well and you'll lose weight. I...no...who has been telling you that stuff...just...no...
    A gluten-free diet for losing weight is semi-stupid. On one hand, yeah, you can't eat regular cakes and cookies (but gluten-free options are still available.) On the other hand, when it comes to people who actually need to go gluten free, a lot of celiacs actually GAIN weight, because their villi and microvilli heals up and they are properly absorbing all the nutrients.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,954 Member
    OH, I was looking for this thread the other day! Last weekend, a girlfriend of a friend told me in ALL dead seriousness that if you have a 'few' drinks its bad for weight loss, but if you get absolutely tanked, your body flushes everything else out to deal with the alcohol so you get a free pass on all the calories you ate that day. Her reasoning for this is waking up 2kg lighter after a drinking binge. HELLO, DEHYDRATION!?!?!

I was flabbergasted.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    OH, I was looking for this thread the other day! Last weekend, a girlfriend of a friend told me in ALL dead seriousness that if you have a 'few' drinks its bad for weight loss, but if you get absolutely tanked, your body flushes everything else out to deal with the alcohol so you get a free pass on all the calories you ate that day. Her reasoning for this is waking up 2kg lighter after a drinking binge. HELLO, DEHYDRATION!?!?!

I was flabbergasted.

Why don't we have a rolling laugh smiley??
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Superfoods.

Ok, maybe not the worst advice. Just the most obnoxious.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    "It's impossible to count calories" - Gary Taubes.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Did you guys see that *kitten* talking about the marshmallow peep diet the other day? What a dipshit!
  • inchwormbyinchworm
    inchwormbyinchworm Posts: 180 Member
    Just today on FB I read that a glass of red wine = an hour at the gym.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Phenphen.... Back when it was still legal. I friend of mine took it, lost 100lbs in like 3 months and also looked like he was on his death bed.

• Ginaaa71
    Ginaaa71 Posts: 61 Member
    I'm 5'8" went to a place like weight watchers, can't remember the name. They told me my ideal weight was112lbs. I think they were Nazis
  • CObluegrass
    CObluegrass Posts: 61 Member
    the stupidest diet advice I have ever heard is "start smoking cigarettes"
    My aunt said this once...she said "why can't fat people just start smoking cigarettes so they'd lose weight?" Yeah, she weighs about 90 pounds and smokes like a chimney. I smoked in my teens and 20's and it never helped me to lose any weight.
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    edited March 2015
    I've definitely heard the whole "shrink your stomach" spiel from the father. I've heard that spending more time chewing supposedly leads to you feeling more full. It didn't do anything for me. I doubt there's any truth to it.
    Anything that comes out of the mouth of Dr. Oz....

that's one doctor i would not take advice from

I can't stand Dr. Oz. Not only is he a scam artist quack, but his show is meant to appeal to the lowest common denominator. I feel dumber every time I see him on TV (my parents occasionally watch him).
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    the stupidest diet advice I have ever heard is "start smoking cigarettes"
    My aunt said this once...she said "why can't fat people just start smoking cigarettes so they'd lose weight?" Yeah, she weighs about 90 pounds and smokes like a chimney. I smoked in my teens and 20's and it never helped me to lose any weight.

In my weaker moments I have considered becoming a smoker so I could quit binge eating. However every time I smoke I get a bad case of diarrhea. So I never could do it long enough to make it a habit.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    I've definitely heard the whole "shrink your stomach" spiel from the father. I've heard that spending more time chewing supposedly leads to you feeling more full. It didn't do anything for me. I doubt there's any truth to it.
    Anything that comes out of the mouth of Dr. Oz....

that's one doctor i would not take advice from

I can't stand Dr. Oz. Not only is he a scam artist quack, but his show is meant to appeal to the lowest common denominator. I feel dumber every time I see him on TV (my parents occasionally watch him).

I hate the "chew more slowly" advice. Once food is chewed more than 8-10xs it turns into a mushy, gluey glop. Yuck! Though maybe if I forced myself to chew it to that stage, I would just eat less to avoid it, lol!
  • JulieAnneFIU
    JulieAnneFIU Posts: 125 Member
    That my stomach will shrink if I eat lower calorie foods. I'm currently inhaling six cups of spinach. Takes up a hearty amount of room, don't expect any shrinkage anytime soon.