Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    In for cat gifs

tumblr_mlfos75BqJ1rlemoyo1_400.gif
    MFP always delivers.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Is clean eating where you take a shower before you eat? What if I just wash my hands?
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    But.... but...but a pound of fat is heavier than a pound of muscle or butter or gold...
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge clean eater. I advocate that no one gets sick. Practice safe eating. Always wash your hands before handling such delicious foods because...
    2url6yh.gif

20ayvz8.jpg
    dxgvh3.jpg
    2qlhg8x.jpg

and if you think this is sabotage...you shouldn't turn on tv or walk outside cause...
    2upzehi.gif
  • Phoenix_Down
    Options
    But.... but...but a pound of fat is heavier than a pound of muscle or butter or gold...

Not if I eat it first...wait, what were we talking about?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What if I make my own fries with organic potatoes freshly harvested from my own garden, and hand-cut including the peels for fiber, and fried in EVOO? Doesn't that make the fries clean?

Plus, during this process, I wash the potatoes, and then don't even drop them on the floor or anything...
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    By that same token, if I make doughnuts from freshly milled whole grains from a local mill, and sweeten them with local honey, wouldn't they be clean doughnuts?

Also, not dropped on the floor, not even once!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    A donut is definitely not the same nutritionally as a banana... That is ridiculous...
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The body requires more to function than just calories. There are things found in a banana in greater quantity than a doughnut like, vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Options
    Lissa_Kaye wrote: »
    The body requires more to function than just calories. There are things found in a banana in greater quantity than a doughnut like, vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients.

But say you've met your bodies required nutrient requirements and just need some more calories to fuel yourself. No harm no foul, I'd choose the donut... Assuming it's chocolate glazed.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    large.gif
  • lyndsayfletch
    lyndsayfletch Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    Calories are not equal and your body can tell the difference between a doughnut and a banana. There is a huge difference between eating 500 calories of fries and a 500 calorie "clean" meal. The fries are full of fats and carbs and little actual nutrient that will leave your body hungry, causing you to eat more. As where the "clean" meal has more nutrients that will actually feed your body, helping to it function better. A lot of people who are obese are actually found to have malnutrition because they eat empty calories and are constantly hungry because their body's aren't being fed properly. I'm not saying never ever eat a doughnut, or fries or what have you, but to say that it's the same as a banana is wrong.

This!! :-) iv just started eating a lot more fibrous foods and feel so much better....feel full for waaaaay longer, skin is clearing real nicely and I have so much more energy....my runs are a lot easier too! I'm all for eating the "right" things to fuel your body :-)
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    True, I just hate when people think the nutritional profile is remotely the same

But say you've met your bodies required nutrient requirements and just need some more calories to fuel yourself. No harm no foul, I'd choose the donut... Assuming it's chocolate glazed.

• SnuggleSmacks
    edited March 2015
    Options

Grains are devoid of vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients?

ETA: I checked. Doughnuts actually have a nice chunk of iron (around 10% RDA, depending on brand) and magnesium, and bits of other nutrients as well.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    Calories are not equal and your body can tell the difference between a doughnut and a banana. There is a huge difference between eating 500 calories of fries and a 500 calorie "clean" meal. The fries are full of fats and carbs and little actual nutrient that will leave your body hungry, causing you to eat more. As where the "clean" meal has more nutrients that will actually feed your body, helping to it function better. A lot of people who are obese are actually found to have malnutrition because they eat empty calories and are constantly hungry because their body's aren't being fed properly. I'm not saying never ever eat a doughnut, or fries or what have you, but to say that it's the same as a banana is wrong.

This!! :-) iv just started eating a lot more fibrous foods and feel so much better....feel full for waaaaay longer, skin is clearing real nicely and I have so much more energy....my runs are a lot easier too! I'm all for eating the "right" things to fuel your body :-)

Wanna know what our pre-race meal is? Pizza. It was an accident, but now it's tradition.

I also have more skin issues than I used to, and eat "cleaner" than I ever have.

And this, ladies and gents, is why anecdotal evidence is basically worthless as proof of anything.

• Phoenix_Down
    Options
    True, I just hate when people think the nutritional profile is remotely the same

I think it's a bold statement just clarifying that calories in vs out and I do agree that there needs to be balance. Most often the people that say this though ere on the side of moderation. I have yet to see anyone praise the Twinkie diet =P

People often assume that eating say, an apple or some avacado with a salad automatically makes them healthy and that's just as wrong as assuming someone who eats a few slices of pizza or McDonald's makes them unhealthy.

It's all about overall diet and not individual foods. I've seen quite a few of the people who claim clean eating as their method of diet be almost mirror images of say iifym/moderation followers. It's just different names for the same thing . I would think most people aim to be healthy but there are those who like to throw away labels and enjoy their foods while doing so as well.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    A donut is definitely not the same nutritionally as a banana... That is ridiculous...

It is - good thing no one actually said that.

What was said, and what is correct, is that as far as energy goes (because that's what a calorie is) all calories are equal.

It's like saying all cups are equal - they are. Some, of course, have different things IN them, that make up the cup, but that doesn't change the fact that they still are cups.

Nutritionally, we all know we need certain vital minerals and nutrients and those can be found more readily in certain foods. That should go without saying, and shouldn't have to be explained every single time this conversation comes up.

Nutrition isn't the only reason people eat food though - I do so for pleasure, too. I like food. So once I've eaten what I need to satisfy my body's needs, I can fill the rest in with whatever I'd like. Because calories are calories and once you've met your nutritional needs, you don't get extra points for choosing a banana over a cookie. You'll just wind up eliminating the extra stuff via waste.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Phoenix_down -- How would you know for sure you've met your individual nutrient requirements for a given time period? Do you think the only nutrients we need are the ones which have a documented DRI?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Personally, I tend to be lower in iron than potassium, so I should probably stick with the doughnut.