March 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    fabnine wrote: »
    I still like to see what everyone else does to stay fit & active on their non-running days.
    I also like to hear that people ran with their kids or their dogs. I like to hear race results and PRs even though I don't race. I like learning how people improve their pace, cadence or stride as those same tips could improve my run.
    I love to hear people overcome challenges to run despite disability or injury.
    It doesn't matter if you run fast or slow, if you run a little or a lot, if running is your first love or something extra you do on the side. It doesn't even matter if you're injured or learning to run and more of your miles are walking than running.
    I have been greatly encouraged by the fellowship of runners, former runners, and future runners I've found here. Thank you.

__Date___ Miles
    Mar 1 ___ 3.5am 7°F + 6.1pm 26°F + strength training
    Mar 2 ___ 5.7 with friends + 3.6 alone
    Mar 3 ___ 1.4 streak + strength training
    Mar 4 ___ 5.1 with friend + 3.5 alone
    Mar 5 ___ 2.3 + strength training
    Mar 6 ___ 8.8am alone + 4.6pm w/friend
    Mar 7 ___ 3.1
    Mar 8 ___ 12.5 cloudy, then snowy, then sunny all in the same run
    Mar 9 ___ 6.0 w/friends (& another 1.4 with my youngest not included in total.)

Month total= 66.1 running miles __98.9 remaining

exercise.png

Current Streak: 197days = 1241.3miles

@Elise4270 I feel like one of those 'How I think I look when I'm running/ How I actually look when I'm running' memes. You look terrific! Btw, you are rocking size Xsmall running tights, perhaps your man needs a better understanding of the word fat.

Lol! Omg I showed him my x-small and he about fell on the floor laughing. 10 minutes later we were headed 2hours north to exchange them. They were, of course, out. And I bought a nice pair of biking shorts (mediums), as all of mine look like clown shorts, cuz I have chicken legs. Thanks for the compliment....
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Mothers Day 2015 will be my 2 year anniversary as a runner. I'll run the same 25 miles but this year will be the first year I won't need walk breaks. I may not be fast, but I won't quit.
    Remember that life is like running. Sometimes it hurts. Sometimes you're fighting for every step. Sometimes you are out there all alone. Sometimes it's going to be so tough that you just want to give up, but we don't quit.

We never quit.

@fabnine Thanks for this post. It hit a particularly strong chord with me tonight.

That is all. I didn't run today, though I did manage a really good strength session this morning before my day went south. Still at 42/ 100 miles for the month.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Runners are experts in endurance - on the trail and in life. Most of the most interesting people in my life are long-distance runners. I don't know what comes first, the strength of character or the running itself, but it's remarkable. The drive to run (and run and run) has elevated me out of some pretty dark places, too. Thanks for sharing your stories - xo
  • cooter_mom
    cooter_mom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 I ran noncompetitively as a teenager, but my first recent run was Mother's Day 2013. A family crisis set me out to clear my head. I didn't even make it a mile before I couldn't breathe. I proceeded to run 2minutes and walked 5minutes to the tune of 25 miles. It took me almost 8 hours. It was such a cathartic experience that I determined to learn to run.

By fall of that year I could run one 7 minute mile or a 29 minute 5K without stopping. Notice the disparity in pace there. I stopped running completely that November because it was cold.

March of last year I started running again; it was like starting all over. This time I decided I didn't care about running that sub7 minute mile, I cared about those 25 Mother's Day miles in honor of my sister. I resolved to learn to run the distance. Those 25 miles took 5 1/2 hours the second time around. I set out daily ignoring pace just to get more miles under my feet. By summer I was up to 200 miles a week. Don't do what I did; I aggressively added miles and am fortunate I wasn't injured.

Last fall when the weather began to turn I started the streak as a means to encourage myself to run outdoors all winter. Interestingly it's been these cold hard winter runs that have improved my running the most. (Thank you @LoneWolfRunner.) I'm not afraid of hills or wind or rain or cold or distance anymore. I am strong; know these legs will carry me.

Mothers Day 2015 will be my 2 year anniversary as a runner. I'll run the same 25 miles but this year will be the first year I won't need walk breaks. I may not be fast, but I won't quit.
    Remember that life is like running. Sometimes it hurts. Sometimes you're fighting for every step. Sometimes you are out there all alone. Sometimes it's going to be so tough that you just want to give up, but we don't quit.

We never quit.

Thank you for sharing your story. You're an inspiration. Much love!
  • Nati_Jean
    Nati_Jean Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    + 2

8/35

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,402 Member
    Options
    I still like to see what everyone else does to stay fit & active on their non-running days.
    I also like to hear that people ran with their kids or their dogs. I like to hear race results and PRs even though I don't race. I like learning how people improve their pace, cadence or stride as those same tips could improve my run.
    I love to hear people overcome challenges to run despite disability or injury.
    It doesn't matter if you run fast or slow, if you run a little or a lot, if running is your first love or something extra you do on the side. It doesn't even matter if you're injured or learning to run and more of your miles are walking than running.
    I have been greatly encouraged by the fellowship of runners, former runners, and future runners I've found here. Thank you.
    I agree with @fabnine‌
    Yes - we all could just post our miles each day for the challenge and nothing else, certainly there are some who just want that level of participation which is fine too, but I have enjoyed the camaraderie here and getting to know a little about the runners who want to share. I really like reading about everyones' runs, seeing pictures or having descriptions of where you run, the issues you have and how you solved them or the discussion and suggestions. I love hearing about all the other things everyone is doing in support of or along with their running. Several of us have encouraged others to post about those activities, whether it is strength training, cycling, snorkeling, swimming laps or whatever. Doing those alongside running, whether it is more or less of your activities, doesn't minimize your running or make you any less of a runner - it means you are a well rounded person with lots of activities and ultimately those other activities should make you a stronger runner.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 I ran noncompetitively as a teenager, but my first recent run was Mother's Day 2013. A family crisis set me out to clear my head. I didn't even make it a mile before I couldn't breathe. I proceeded to run 2minutes and walked 5minutes to the tune of 25 miles. It took me almost 8 hours. It was such a cathartic experience that I determined to learn to run.

By fall of that year I could run one 7 minute mile or a 29 minute 5K without stopping. Notice the disparity in pace there. I stopped running completely that November because it was cold.

March of last year I started running again; it was like starting all over. This time I decided I didn't care about running that sub7 minute mile, I cared about those 25 Mother's Day miles in honor of my sister. I resolved to learn to run the distance. Those 25 miles took 5 1/2 hours the second time around. I set out daily ignoring pace just to get more miles under my feet. By summer I was up to 200 miles a week. Don't do what I did; I aggressively added miles and am fortunate I wasn't injured.

Last fall when the weather began to turn I started the streak as a means to encourage myself to run outdoors all winter. Interestingly it's been these cold hard winter runs that have improved my running the most. (Thank you @LoneWolfRunner.) I'm not afraid of hills or wind or rain or cold or distance anymore. I am strong; know these legs will carry me.

We never quit.

Thanks for sharing! That is a very cool running story. Amazing how far you have come in less than two years. I won't be able to add as many miles as you, but I love reading your miles and streak. I figured you'd been running in the cold winter for years! You can contribute to @lonewolfrunner's book!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I could edit/proofread for you guys ... ;) This could be the start of something huge!
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Had to do today's 3.2 on a treadmill when it was beautiful outside since I had no one to watch the minions :(
    exercise.png

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I love to read everyone's stories, Miles, adventures and other exercises. I try to run 3x, bike 2x and strength train 2x each week. My husband keeps bugging me that I need a rest day. So now I've figured out if I run in the am and strength train after school, I can get in a rest day. Don't tell him. :wink:

So, I'll share adventures ... This weekend my daughter comes home for spring break, her last one! We are running a 10k on Saturday and then will be busy, shopping, going to a wine tasting and other things so there won't be biking this weekend and probably not as much exercise during the week. Although I've turned her into a running freak like me! She's running ten miles now, preparing for a half marathon in May on Long Island. Unfortunately my Spring break isn't for three more weeks so I'll still have to teach. But we will still have fun!
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    This is a sweet little community here.... I love it. And I like seeing what everyone does besides run (as long as we all acknowledge RUNNING that is THE *kitten*)... only problem is that I see these recent posts about people wanting/getting new shoes and now I have uninhibited lust to get these (Inov8 Ultra 270) (and where is mom when I need her? :( )...
    o8r7d66w2a3q.jpg

Yeah, yeah... I know they aren't zero drop, but for trails I can live with 4mm....
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    I could edit/proofread for you guys ... ;) This could be the start of something huge!
    You're hired.

• cooter_mom
    cooter_mom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    01/03- rest sick
    02/03- rest still sick
    03/03- 3.6 miles TM
    04/03- 3.74 miles TM
    05/03- 3.84 miles TM
    06/03- 4.08 miles TM
    07/03- 1.4 miles OUTSIDE 3.7 TM
    08/03- rest day
    09/03- 1.5 miles TM

Yesterday was an active rest day. I thought about trying the outside run again, but the little just can't do it on her scooter. @skippygirlsmom‌ she doesn't have a bike right now, or we would be golden! Hopefully going to get her one this weekend. But we ended up going to the dog park for a nice long walk. We don't have a dog, I just take my daughter to tire her out. HAHA just kidding, we go with friends that have dogs. Today I did a short run, my hip is acting up. And then a few mile walk with a friend after lunch. Such a beautiful day. Found a nice running trail, but its a drive to get there. Looking forward to trying outside again. My mouth gets so dry when I run, I always need water or I gag. What do you do? Carrying a water bottle is annoying.
    @LoneWolfRunner‌ I think we should get autographed copies of the book. :)

I think that as a group, we are all supportive of what each person does and how they use this group. I personally love to read the stories, see the pictures, see what others do besides run. Tips and tricks, help and hints. I feel like I'm part of an actual live running group. Some people just show up, do their run, and go. And that's great. Some people want to talk about what else they do besides running. Also great. Some want to share pictures of their kids, the scenery, races, PR's, etc, and that's fantastic. Some are down to business, some want a bit of a social aspect to make the running more enjoyable. I may not always answer, or comment, but I read every post. I love this group. I know if I've had a rough day, someone will be here to lift my spirits. If I've had a PR, there is always someone to congratulate me. For the first time, I feel like I'm a runner. And its thanks to this group and all the encouragement, kind words, help, wisdom, and knowing someone will always be there no matter what happens, good or bad.

exercise.png
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    This is a sweet little community here.... I love it. And I like seeing what everyone does besides run (as long as we all acknowledge RUNNING that is THE *kitten*)... only problem is that I see these recent posts about people wanting/getting new shoes and now I have uninhibited lust to get these (Inov8 Ultra 270) (and where is mom when I need her? :( )...
    o8r7d66w2a3q.jpg

Yeah, yeah... I know they aren't zero drop, but for trails I can live with 4mm....

My new marathon/half marathon racers - Adidas Adios Boost 2. They're an 8oz/10mm drop racing flat. I have a 6oz/6mm drop shoe for 10mi and shorter (Mizuno Wave Ekiden)

b8p0h8rf8aro.jpg
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    cooter_mom wrote: »
    My mouth gets so dry when I run, I always need water or I gag. What do you do? Carrying a water bottle is annoying.

@LoneWolfRunner‌ I think we should get autographed copies of the book. :)
    I use a hand-held water bottle from Amphipod.... one of my better purchases...

And you got it..... :)
  • LoneWolfRunner
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My new marathon/half marathon racers - Adidas Adios Boost 2. They're an 8oz/10mm drop racing flat. I have a 6oz/6mm drop shoe for 10mi and shorter (Mizuno Wave Ekiden)

b8p0h8rf8aro.jpg
    Nice shoes! A 10mm would kill me... but I would risk it if just once I could run like you...

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    March Goal 75 miles

3/1 rest
    3/2 2.34 run, then I lifted and carried 25 60#bags of cement to help DH build an observation deck...
    3/3 rest because I couldn't walk....see above^^^
    3/4 3.44
    3/5 3.96
    3/6 3.35
    3/7 strength training (with bar and dumbbells, not cement bags!)
    3/8 3.85 followed by a whale watching cruise
    3/9 4.12

Total 21.06

(Ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date)

exercise.png
    cooter_mom wrote: »
    01/03- rest sick
    I may not always answer, or comment, but I read every post. I love this group. I know if I've had a rough day, someone will be here to lift my spirits. If I've had a PR, there is always someone to congratulate me. For the first time, I feel like I'm a runner. And its thanks to this group and all the encouragement, kind words, help, wisdom, and knowing someone will always be there no matter what happens, good or bad.

BIG yep!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    I was thinking that cross training was an activity to supplement your main activity. If you ''cross train'' more than you run then running becomes cross training.

But it seems like I'm wrong, as always. I might rage quit this challenge.

I'm not sure why you can't just use this challenge the way you want to and and someone else could use it a different way ... I'm missing the issue. It's not a challenge against each other - or against anything, really. Use it to your benefit as you wish. I wish I had listed out each of the 31 days so at the end I could have a quick glimpse of my strength training, etc. I don't keep a log, so it would be efficient to do here. I didn't ... but I don't think anyone would have an issue if I did. Again ... not understanding the issue.

ETA: This would be my compulsory "can't we all just get along?" post (sorry). I really don't care one way or another about the [non-]issue. :)

I can tell you the nerd in me rails against the idea of sharing- everything has a place and everything in it's place- and if there is place for "other" then my personal brain said- that *kitten* goes in other.

BUT... the barely grown up in me- realizes- we are community- and in this community we have subcommunities- and they are not islands- they are vene diagrams- and there is overlap- which is why- despite my fairly lift heavy liftstyle- you all have welcomed me in with open arms and fabulous shoes (come on shoes)- and why the lifting community opens anyone who is willing to take the leap with open arms.

It happens- we cross paths.

But I know the nerd in me- my little autistic child inside says NO THAT"S NOT WHERE THAT GOES... so- I understand the feeling LOL. I just have to tell the child now is not time time to be re-arranging other people's lego blocks. :D

Also- Damn @LoneWolfRunner‌
    dem some sweet kicks!!! I WANNNNNNT

I want new running shoes- no need for them- but I still want them!!! muah ha ha ha ha ha
  • knight810
    knight810 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

b8p0h8rf8aro.jpg
    Nice shoes! A 10mm would kill me... but I would risk it if just once I could run like you...

These are the highest drop that I own! My Hoka Cliftons (daily trainers) are a whopping 4mm.