How heavy should girls lift?

Options

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Kate814 wrote: »
    It takes about four months to put on a pound of muscle. If your gaining weight faster than this, its likely not muscle. (either fat or water weight). I'm a personal trainer who specializes in weight training for women. I lift heavy and so do my clients, none of them get "bulky" or "manly". Heavy lifting can help enhance women's curves and give the look many women try to achieve.

Time to go back to Personal Trainer school.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It takes about four months to put on a pound of muscle. If your gaining weight faster than this, its likely not muscle. (either fat or water weight). I'm a personal trainer who specializes in weight training for women. I lift heavy and so do my clients, none of them get "bulky" or "manly". Heavy lifting can help enhance women's curves and give the look many women try to achieve.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you meant four "weeks," instead of "months." At least, for many women. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt due to the last two sentences of your post.
  • franola12
    franola12 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've heard that when your form goes bad, you're lifting too much.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Please tell me you are really not a pt....pretty please...
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Hold on now. So I bulked for 4.5 months, gained over 10lbs and only ONE pound of that was muscle and maybe some water? Hmm.. not sure about that. I know muscle gains in women are usually lower than mens but c'mon that seems way too slow.. Maybe you meant 4 weeks?
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I LOVE lifting as heavy as I can, I started at the gym June 2014 and went from 1 -45lb weight on each side to 6 -45lb on each side... needless to say I love lifting next to guys because I smoke them all. :) Hehe.
    Though I've hit a bit of a weight loss plateau these past 6 months, I'm trying to figure out ways of incorporating more cardio into my life and maybe changing things up... definitely need to work on the diet part of my weight loss. Ugh. But I don't think I could ever give up lifting, addicted... thoroughly addicted. :)
    Do what you want, do what makes you feel good and the rest will fall into place. It feels good to be strong, I'll take that any day.

What?

Guess I forgot to add that it's the hipsled. :smiley:

• ThatLadyFromMN
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I LOVE lifting as heavy as I can, I started at the gym June 2014 and went from 1 -45lb weight on each side to 6 -45lb on each side... needless to say I love lifting next to guys because I smoke them all. :) Hehe.
    Though I've hit a bit of a weight loss plateau these past 6 months, I'm trying to figure out ways of incorporating more cardio into my life and maybe changing things up... definitely need to work on the diet part of my weight loss. Ugh. But I don't think I could ever give up lifting, addicted... thoroughly addicted. :)
    Do what you want, do what makes you feel good and the rest will fall into place. It feels good to be strong, I'll take that any day.

Do you mean you went from 1 rep with 45lbs each side to 6 reps at 45lbs each side?

No, I went from (hipsled, forgot to add that very crucial detail) 45lbs on each side to 6 - 45lb weights on each side. Starting I did 3 sets of 8-10 reps and now I do 4-6 sets of 8-10 reps, I also then do my calf raises with that. Sorry.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    franola12 wrote: »
    I've heard that when your form goes bad, you're lifting too much.

generally speaking yes... but you know- sometimes you gotta put a little english on it and get it done.
    - #notforbeginners-
  • Canwehugnow
    Canwehugnow Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I don't feel there is a limit.
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

In 8-9 months? My guess would be leg press - but even that would be 665 lb total (assuming a 125 lb sled). I'm not believing this one either. In fact, I'm less inclined to believe this than the other.

What? Why? I've worked very hard to get to this point, I do legs twice a week. I mean, I'm not beast, the guy next to me was doing more than double what I was doing... though he was barely bringing the weight down. I guess I understand your not believing, I had some guy and his girl stop in front of me and he said "I know you're not lifting that much, you're just looking at it." and then I did it and the look on his face was priceless. I don't look like someone that can lift because I still have a lot of weight to lose, but my father believed in child labor so I've always been pretty strong. Haha.
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

In 8-9 months? My guess would be leg press - but even that would be 665 lb total (assuming a 125 lb sled). I'm not believing this one either. In fact, I'm less inclined to believe this than the other.

Someone asked if she meant 1 rep and 6 reps, which makes more sense.

This is still confusing even if she meant reps and not plates. Why would you start off so heavy and only able to do one rep (and assuming 1 set).

*sigh*.. I meant plates on each side... 2 - 45lbs plates at first and now 12 - 45lb plates, and with the hipsled it's already started out at like 15lbs without any plates.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Someone asked if she meant 1 rep and 6 reps, which makes more sense.

This is still confusing even if she meant reps and not plates. Why would you start off so heavy and only able to do one rep (and assuming 1 set).

*sigh*.. I meant plates on each side... 2 - 45lbs plates at first and now 12 - 45lb plates, and with the hipsled it's already started out at like 15lbs without any plates.

Ha, we were confused because we're all talking about different things. Regardless, you've made great progress and keep upping the weights. Pretty soon, you're going to run out of room on the sled...
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    Options

Ha, we were confused because we're all talking about different things. Regardless, you've made great progress and keep upping the weights. Pretty soon, you're going to run out of room on the sled... [/quote]

Haha. Thanks, actually I've scaled down to 8-45 plates because it was getting a little hard on my knees. I'm going to start working on deadlifts and squats more I think. :) But I just think women can lift however much they want (keeping proper form in mind), but just be smart and don't hurt yourselves. Women in the free weights makes my weird little heart go pitter patter... proud. :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    what is a hip sled?
  • auddii
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    what is a hip sled?
    After googling, it seems it can be used to refer both to the hack squat and leg press. Not sure which she's doing.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I don't even understand this world anymore.

Did someone just ask me how much I curl?
  • auddii
    Options
    I don't even understand this world anymore.

Did someone just ask me how much I curl?

What about shoulder raises?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    what is a hip sled?
    After googling, it seems it can be used to refer both to the hack squat and leg press. Not sure which she's doing.

hip sled:
    GLPH1100.jpg

hack squat:
    1940.jpg

note:
    First image I posted did appear when googling "hack squat" but most of the machine pics were similar to the second pic.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Well, I shrug 495 for 20.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Well, I shrug 495 for 20.

that's my warm up weight dude. stop bragging about little girl weights.