please help which breakfast ceral should I be eating???

Options

Replies

• Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Rivers2k wrote: »
    I am in with the people that say eggs over cookie crisps. Yes cookie crisps taste good but it doesn't give you what you need to make it to lunch. Eggs fill you up and it lasts longer and will help your body perform better.

I can't believe people can honestly believe cookie crisps or fruit loops are just as good a breakfast as eggs and fruit.

This theory of "if it fits in your calories do it" has to be balanced with "what is going to help me perform best through the day".

What a terrible, joyless life, never to eat things just because they taste good.

Where did you get that from my post????? I have plenty of good tasty treats. reread my post.
  • mokaiba
    mokaiba Posts: 141 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Please can someone sort out all the figures: I need to have my cereal for breakfast, but which is the one I SHOULD be eating for weight loss, I'm so confused ie looking at all fat/sugar/salt etc content and calories.
    Kelloggs Bran Flakes, Kelloggs All Bran, Kelloggs Rice Krispies or Kelloggs Weetabix. PLEASE HELP it's driving me crazy. Just tell me which one of these and I'll go for it!!! Thanks

no added white sugar helps
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    mokaiba wrote: »
    Please can someone sort out all the figures: I need to have my cereal for breakfast, but which is the one I SHOULD be eating for weight loss, I'm so confused ie looking at all fat/sugar/salt etc content and calories.
    Kelloggs Bran Flakes, Kelloggs All Bran, Kelloggs Rice Krispies or Kelloggs Weetabix. PLEASE HELP it's driving me crazy. Just tell me which one of these and I'll go for it!!! Thanks

no added sugar helps

Helps what?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Big fan of oatmeal, so many ways to jazz it up.
  • mokaiba
    edited March 2015
    Options

no added sugar helps

Helps what?

by not eating it. look at the cereal ingredients and dont buy the one that adds sugar (white sugar). carbs already turn into glucose. you dont need extra sugar.

eg, Kashi GoLean ( http://www.justrun.org/jr_for_kids/diet_and_nutrition/the_healthiest_10_breakfast_cereals.htm )
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

no added sugar helps

Helps what?

by not eating it. look at the cereal ingredients and dont buy the one that adds sugar. carbs already turn into glucose. you dont need extra sugar.

I don't need lots of things. I could probably live on a nutrient paste. But why should I avoid added sugar? If carbohydrates turn into glucose, what harm will sugar do to me?
  • mokaiba
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jtbsab7xieda.jpg

Can anybody top those nutritional values :))))

its not that great. not only does it add sugar (2nd in list), it also adds an unknown amount of sucralose. Whats the need for two sweeteners? what is it trying to cover up?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    What I can't understand is the resistance to so many posters here to getting to that caloric deficit by eating more healthy foods, and greatly reducing the intake of crap. Not eliminating. Reducing. I will never figure it out.

Find one poster who is arguing that point. Nice straw man.

Do you know the definition of "moderation"?

The only person in this discussion arguing elimination (and that would be FOR elimination) is the poster you're quoting.

I guess you've missed all the "sugar isn't bad for you" comments. Of course it's not bad if you have a little. But it's bad for you if you have a lot (source - AHA and hundreds of others).

So then you're agreeing?? Sugar...in and of itself...is not bad for you.

Too much sugar (or too much water....or too many apples...or too much kale) is.

Be sure you inform captain broscience. Apparently he's the only one on the thread that doesn't understand that yet.

Nah, there's nothing wrong with sugar. These folks are just making it up because they are in the aspartame business, and want people to keep drinking diet soda.

http://authoritynutrition.com/10-disturbing-reasons-why-sugar-is-bad/

Ok...so now you're back to the "all sugar is bad regardless of context or dosage" argument. It would be nice if you could just stick to one position and not moving goalposts in every post.

And pro tip: Internet blogs aren't exactly the best source for science and facts.

And you are?

Read the article. It differentiates between refined sugar and sugar from fruit.

Yes...my position is and has always been any single food or ingredient (sugar, apples, bananas, twinkies, whatever) cannot be in and of itself defined as healthy or unhealthy. Context within an entire diet and dosage are required in order to judge any food as "good" or "bad".

And, just to be clear, your position is that if I find a random internet blog supporting my argument, that should be accepted as factual and the end-all-be-all, science be damned?!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

no added sugar helps

Helps what?

by not eating it. look at the cereal ingredients and dont buy the one that adds sugar. carbs already turn into glucose. you dont need extra sugar.

eg, Kashi GoLean ( http://www.justrun.org/jr_for_kids/diet_and_nutrition/the_healthiest_10_breakfast_cereals.htm )

Have you taken a look at the ingredients for Kashi GoLean? There are added sugars there.

Ingredients
    Soy Grits, Honey Puffed Kashi (Hard Red Wheat, Brown Rice, Honey, Cane Syrup, Barley, Triticale, Oats, Rye, Buckwheat, Sesame Seeds), Cane Syrup, Degerminated Yellow Corn Meal, Degerminated Yellow Corn Flour, Wheat Bran, Oat Fiber, Soy Protein Isolate, Corn Bran, Soy Protein Concentrate, Kashi Seven Whole Grains & Sesame Flour (Whole: Oats, Hard Red Wheat, Rye, Brown Rice, Triticale, Barley, Buckwheat, Sesame Seeds), Salt, Natural Flavors, Annatto Color.

If you want to choose a cereal that you or some website deem healthier, that's fine. But if you think it's healthier because there are no added sugars, then be sure you've checked for yourself.
  • mokaiba
    Options

no added sugar helps

Helps what?

I don't need lots of things. I could probably live on a nutrient paste. But why should I avoid added sugar? If carbohydrates turn into glucose, what harm will sugar do to me?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/healthyeating/9987825/Sweet-poison-why-sugar-is-ruining-our-health.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/10559671/Sugar-is-as-dangerous-as-alcohol-and-tobacco-warn-health-experts.html

http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/149782/1/9789241549028_eng.pdf?ua=1

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/2/20/dietary-guidelines-limit-added-sugar.html

etc, etc
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

no added sugar helps

Helps what?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/healthyeating/9987825/Sweet-poison-why-sugar-is-ruining-our-health.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/10559671/Sugar-is-as-dangerous-as-alcohol-and-tobacco-warn-health-experts.html

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/2/20/dietary-guidelines-limit-added-sugar.html

etc, etc

Same question to you:
    And, just to be clear, your position is that if I find a random internet blog supporting my argument, that should be accepted as factual and the end-all-be-all, science be damned?!
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    OP, I found when I compared cereals, that most of them aren't very different from each other nutritionally, so eat what you want.

As you can see by the arguments on this thread, what is right for one person isn't right for another person. So don't worry about what is the "right" food to eat; instead, focus on finding which foods are right for you. For me, the right foods keep me me full for a long time (protein + fat) and taste good (carbs + fat).

And don't worry that experimenting will derail you -- as long as you are in a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight.
  • juggernaut1974
    edited March 2015
    Options

no added sugar helps

Helps what?

etc, etc

Same question to you:

No, but ill believe WHO over any of you trolls anyday.

*looks again*

One link to WHO...what about the other 3?

And even according to the executive summary of the WHO report, the concern with added sugars involves primarily 1) leading to eating too many calories and 2) Dental issues.

So again, the question is, in the context of an overall diet that doesn't go over my calorie budget and hits my macros, of what concern is sugar (and let's pretend for the sake of argument that I brush my teeth twice a day).

For crying out loud the report even says:

"Free sugars contribute to the overall energy density of diets, and may promote
    a positive energy balance. Sustaining energy balance is critical to maintaining
    healthy body weight and ensuring optimal nutrient intake
  • mokaiba
    edited March 2015
    Options

no added sugar helps

Helps what?

Have you taken a look at the ingredients for Kashi GoLean? There are added sugars there.

Ingredients
    Soy Grits, Honey Puffed Kashi (Hard Red Wheat, Brown Rice, Honey, Cane Syrup, Barley, Triticale, Oats, Rye, Buckwheat, Sesame Seeds), Cane Syrup, Degerminated Yellow Corn Meal, Degerminated Yellow Corn Flour, Wheat Bran, Oat Fiber, Soy Protein Isolate, Corn Bran, Soy Protein Concentrate, Kashi Seven Whole Grains & Sesame Flour (Whole: Oats, Hard Red Wheat, Rye, Brown Rice, Triticale, Barley, Buckwheat, Sesame Seeds), Salt, Natural Flavors, Annatto Color.

If you want to choose a cereal that you or some website deem healthier, that's fine. But if you think it's healthier because there are no added sugars, then be sure you've checked for yourself.

There are differences between cane syrup and white sugar.

- cane syrup has 1 calorie less than white sugar.

- white sugar requires B vitamins (niacin and riboflavin) to absorb, which strips them from the sugar, and makes it a non-nutrient.

- cane syrup does not need B vitamins to absorb

When I said no added sugar, I meant white sugar. However, you still want to eat less overall sugars anyway.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Whilst all this internet arguing has been going on, I've finished my calories off with another bowl of Honey Hoops.

I'm still yet to read the ingredients list.

Science may weep, but I'll go to bed content.