why don't the low carb folks believe in CICO?

Options

Replies

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    adowe wrote: »
    firm believer in CICO but some people are more insulin sensitive. firm believer weight loss is not a one fits all.

big believer in the below

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/hormonal-weight-loss/
    http://www.metaboliceffect.com/female-effect-hormones-determine-female-fat-patterns/
    CICO is a one size fits all.
    Medical conditions just skew one or the other.

CICO is one size fits all, but the macro ratios that work best for you will differ person to person. Like I said above, one thing that occasionally annoys me about some low carb people here (not the sensible ones, which are most of those in this thread) is the assertion that EVERYONE would do better on lower carbs or that everyone finds that carbs trigger their hunger in the same way, etc. But the same is, of course, true in reverse when people insist that low carb is unhealthy or can't work or would be too depressing. Depends on the person.

And this is where IIFYMM comes into play.

It holds true for keto, vegan, paleo, veg, LCHF, we all have Macros and Micros just how we fill them differs.

I always find it funny when people hate on IIFYM yet they actually follow it.

Yes, I agree with all that. I interpret IIFYM as just meaning that you watch your macros, basically. By definition low carb folks do, at least low carb folks who also try to hit a general ballpark or better for their fat percentage.

And from my view, most low carbers focus on their macro ratios. Just their macros look a little different than the SAD.

Anyone who cares about their diet is going to have a diet that looks a lot different than the SAD...you don't have to low carb. My diary is open...my nutritional profile is outstanding and a far cry from the SAD, and I don't low carb at all.

Simply having a balanced diet is going to be a far cry from the SAD. To me, the comment:
    And from my view, most low carbers focus on their macro ratios. Just their macros look a little different than the SAD.

Implies that carbs = SAD = junk. There are a whole lot of highly nutritious carbs out there that aren't "junk"...carbs go well beyond 40 ounce Big Gulps.

I never once said junk. Never once.

I didn't say that you said it...it would appear to be implied in the statement and it's an implication that is made often by low carbers...I know a few personally, and they all think carbs are satan...they all think carbs are killing people...they're nutty.

It's ok...I'll enjoy my legumes and my whole grain oats and my brown rice and my potatoes and sweet potatoes and my fruit and my copious amounts of daily vegetables and I'll be happy.

That wasn't what I was implying at all. I know there are nutritous carbs out there. Again another assumption that because there are a few low carbers that make certain claims that all of them do. Which leads you to assuming I was implying that people who don't eat low carb only eat junk?

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    mac726 wrote: »
    I know it will require people to buy the book but what got me into LCHF was "the art and science of low carbohydrate performance" buy it on a kindle for 10$. Most of the book points to the fact we can run on very little carbs and perform just as well as if we were on them. A one/two week phase is needed to get started. Think like cutting coffee out. Your body hates you but after a while it was just a habit. I look at our body's as has tanks the amount of fat and carbs we can hold. From the book, please excuse the lack of exact data, we can store up to 2000 calories of carbs. Whereas fat can be stored in the 10000s. Why not learn to use that instead? Following a keto diet allows the fat to burn and consume the energy we are carrying around our waist/hips/arms etc.

Because fruit is good and healthy...because legumes are good and healthy...because whole grains are awesome and healthy...because sweet potatoes and potatoes kick *kitten*....and because you can simply burn that fat by eating a balanced and healthy diet and simply consuming less calories than your body requires.

This is what really irks me about keto folk...you all act like the only way you're going to use fat as fuel and burn that fat off your body is if you're keto...I don't know why you all act like this when you're so obviously wrong as evidenced by the *kitten* load of fit and trim and healthy people not doing keto....
  • Babbs1977
    Babbs1977 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I have PCOS and when I tried just CICO I continued gaining weight. Once I was put on metformin and restricted carbs I lost weight like crazy even though my calorie intake actually went up. I realize the typical person without a hormone issue going on probably wouldn't have the same issues that I did.

you are still doing CICO ..you are just using medication to regulate the out side for you ..

I have PCOS and have been on Metformin for years. CICO did not work for me, while on the medication, and I gained weight while eating within my calorie range and working out. Even when varying the amount of exercise calories back or not eating them at all. I measure my food and don't eat junk either.

When I eat low carb I lose weight. My medication hasn't changed and my exercise hasn't changed either, the only thing that has changed is the restricting of carbohydrates. I still eat within my calorie range, still vary eating back my exercise calories, yet now I'm losing weight. For some of us, low carb eating is medically necessary and CICO will never work.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    for people who eat fast or who are "volume" eaters, fat is NOT going to be the answer to satiety, and could even leave them feeling less satisfied than before. (Or they will be very prone to overeat if they "listen to their body" rather than weigh and measure their foods)
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Babbs1977 wrote: »
    I have PCOS and when I tried just CICO I continued gaining weight. Once I was put on metformin and restricted carbs I lost weight like crazy even though my calorie intake actually went up. I realize the typical person without a hormone issue going on probably wouldn't have the same issues that I did.

you are still doing CICO ..you are just using medication to regulate the out side for you ..

I have PCOS and have been on Metformin for years. CICO did not work for me, while on the medication, and I gained weight while eating within my calorie range and working out. Even when varying the amount of exercise calories back or not eating them at all. I measure my food and don't eat junk either.

When I eat low carb I lose weight. My medication hasn't changed and my exercise hasn't changed either, the only thing that has changed is the restricting of carbohydrates. I still eat within my calorie range, still vary eating back my exercise calories, yet now I'm losing weight. For some of us, low carb eating is medically necessary and CICO will never work.

Aren't you contradicting yourself in reference to CICO?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to read 11 pages of replies so I'll just say that there are probably a lot of women with PCOS who don't know they have it, and carbs are an issue. There are also people who are gluten intolerant and don't know it. Both of these are alleviated by lower carbs, or just type of carb you consume.

Whatever works for you - go for it. I personally have learned from many years of experience that I do not lose weight if my carbs are over 30% of my macros and I feel like crap in general when I eat a sandwich or a wrap so I just try not to.

30% is not even close to low carb...

your are losing weight because you are in deficit, not because of the percent that you set your carbs to...

as a point of reference I eat about 35% carbs, which equals about 200 grams a day....
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »
    nik5577 wrote: »
    Once you ditch the processed carbs, grains, sugar, alcohol and even dairy, it is really hard to even get above 80 grams of carbs a day. At that point you have eliminated the biggest sources of calories in the standard american diet. AND you are eating foods that reduce appetite - PROTEIN. Many low carb dieters have a hard time being convinced that they are eating LESS calories, but it is automatic. I eat a Paleo diet (I personally hate that label, but there it is) and when I tracked my calories after a week, I was still calorie restricted, I just didn't feel hungry. I was actually eating almost exactly the same number of calories as before I made changes. I don't consider how I eat low-carb - it's definitely not keto.

After over a year, I now have to track macros/calories consumed or I do not see results. I lost 30 lbs. CICO and another 20 with paleo - no tracking at all. In the end you still need to restrict calories, some methods make it easier than others.

Normally a low carb diet means an increase in protein

my protein decreased slightly with low carb.
  • MelRC117
    Options
    I know it will require people to buy the book but what got me into LCHF was "the art and science of low carbohydrate performance" buy it on a kindle for 10$. Most of the book points to the fact we can run on very little carbs and perform just as well as if we were on them. A one/two week phase is needed to get started. Think like cutting coffee out. Your body hates you but after a while it was just a habit. I look at our body's as has tanks the amount of fat and carbs we can hold. From the book, please excuse the lack of exact data, we can store up to 2000 calories of carbs. Whereas fat can be stored in the 10000s. Why not learn to use that instead? Following a keto diet allows the fat to burn and consume the energy we are carrying around our waist/hips/arms etc.

Because fruit is good and healthy...because legumes are good and healthy...because whole grains are awesome and healthy...because sweet potatoes and potatoes kick *kitten*....and because you can simply burn that fat by eating a balanced and healthy diet and simply consuming less calories than your body requires.

This is what really irks me about keto folk...you all act like the only way you're going to use fat as fuel and burn that fat off your body is if you're keto...I don't know why you all act like this when you're so obviously wrong as evidenced by the *kitten* load of fit and trim and healthy people not doing keto....

See again, there are those assumptions that "all act like this".

The way people get to a calorie deficit for some people is to eat LCHF Who are you to determine how they get to a calorie deficit? Great that works for you, but it doesn't work for everybody.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    firm believer in CICO but some people are more insulin sensitive. firm believer weight loss is not a one fits all.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/female-effect-hormones-determine-female-fat-patterns/

CICO is one size fits all, but the macro ratios that work best for you will differ person to person. Like I said above, one thing that occasionally annoys me about some low carb people here (not the sensible ones, which are most of those in this thread) is the assertion that EVERYONE would do better on lower carbs or that everyone finds that carbs trigger their hunger in the same way, etc. But the same is, of course, true in reverse when people insist that low carb is unhealthy or can't work or would be too depressing. Depends on the person.

It holds true for keto, vegan, paleo, veg, LCHF, we all have Macros and Micros just how we fill them differs.

Yes, I agree with all that. I interpret IIFYM as just meaning that you watch your macros, basically. By definition low carb folks do, at least low carb folks who also try to hit a general ballpark or better for their fat percentage.

Isn't that what I said? Are you meaning to agree with me?

Yes I agree. It seemed some people think most low carbers just count grams of carbs or no counting at all but that yes, macros are really a big discussion on the LCHF forums.

I think part of the difference of opinion that you are getting here is, as you have said, that on the main forums a lot more of the low carb POV is from newbies. I have actually been trying to steer those newbies to the LCHF or Keto forums, so that they can get good advice on how to do it, since they often do seem to come in with ideas that how much you eat doesn't matter or that you should do LC/HP (since they are still anti fat). I agree with you that the majority of longterm LCHF people on MFP seem pretty sensible and to understand that it's just another strategy to create a calorie deficit (as I said upthread).

For the same reason that newbies are often uninformed, though, I do think it's reasonable and fair game to tell newbies that low carb also works BECAUSE OF the calorie deficit and is certainly not necessary to lose weight. It seems to me that sometimes low carb people get evangelical or upset about such comments, and complain that the diet choices of even obviously poorly-informed newbies must not be challenged, even just by the sharing of truthful information. I do agree that there are plenty here who are knee-jerk anti low carb and will say it's unsustainable or unhealthy (which it is not), but while I say it's unnecessary for most and works because of CICO, I also always say that people should experiment with their macro ratios and try it if it seems appealing to them.

The other part of the difference of opinion, I suspect, is that IME the low carbers on MFP aren't representative of those I've known off MFP. Part of that is that most of them are in the position of newbies and doing it because they aren't interested in having to count calories or macros and just like the idea of cutting out bread and sugar (the women) or eating lots of steak and bacon (the men) (sorry for the stereotypes but they really do apply to this in my experience to those I've known off-line doing the diet and talking about it). On MFP you get a lot more people interested in monitoring macros and calories in any kind of eating style. Also, the vast majority of low carb people I have known off-line were doing it some years ago when it was more trendy and before the high fat part seemed as widely understood. It no longer seems as trendy, so now the same people who were talking a lot about that are talking lots about gluten or some other new thing. (This is obviously biased by what people happen to talk about their diets, and is kind of funny because I normally don't tell people what I'm doing and I know some people have the opinion that I'm doing low carb, simply because I do remove bread from sandwiches and such on occasion.)
  • cwolfman13
    Options

Anyone who cares about their diet is going to have a diet that looks a lot different than the SAD...you don't have to low carb. My diary is open...my nutritional profile is outstanding and a far cry from the SAD, and I don't low carb at all.

Simply having a balanced diet is going to be a far cry from the SAD. To me, the comment:

Implies that carbs = SAD = junk. There are a whole lot of highly nutritious carbs out there that aren't "junk"...carbs go well beyond 40 ounce Big Gulps.

I didn't say that you said it...it would appear to be implied in the statement and it's an implication that is made often by low carbers...I know a few personally, and they all think carbs are satan...they all think carbs are killing people...they're nutty.

It's ok...I'll enjoy my legumes and my whole grain oats and my brown rice and my potatoes and sweet potatoes and my fruit and my copious amounts of daily vegetables and I'll be happy.

That wasn't what I was implying at all. I know there are nutritous carbs out there. Again another assumption that because there are a few low carbers that make certain claims that all of them do. Which leads you to assuming I was implying that people who don't eat low carb only eat junk?

Sorry, it's not a few...I've been around here for over 2.5 years...it's not just a few...all of my "trendy" friends trying to lose weight over the last few years don't represent a few.

Actually, I would say there are probably only a few low carbers who actually don't think carbs are the devil...because outside of a medical condition, what would be the benefit if on some level, carbs weren't "evil."
  • ndj1979
    Options

The way people get to a calorie deficit for some people is to eat LCHF Who are you to determine how they get to a calorie deficit? Great that works for you, but it doesn't work for everybody.

ummm he was quoting someone that made that claim ...

or did you miss that part...
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »

Aren't you contradicting yourself in reference to CICO?

No, if you read what she has posted, she states that she was CICO & couldn't lose weight but when she stayed in the same cico & did low carb, she started to lose.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

you are so defensive when it comes to low carbers... in every thread. just relax. not everyone is out to call carbs junk or satan.

my body doesn't take well to them. doesn't make them bad for everyone. i know that. you don't want people to say all carbs are bad but you usually come in insinuating that all low carbers are...

i enjoy sweet potatoes, fruit, legumes, and vegetables, too.
  • ndj1979
    Options

http://sigmanutrition.com/eat-more-fat-burn-more-fat-myth-magic-or-metabolic-advantage < good article on this topic....but I have to give the credit to Eric for finding it as he posted it in another thread
  • ndj1979
    Options

and here we go ...

you are losing because you cut carbs which restricted your calories and due to your medical condition it balanced out the OUT side of CICO ...

PCOS does not invalidate physics and math ...
  • cwolfman13
    Options

I wasn't making any assumption...I was quoting someone making that claim...I've been in several discussions all week in regards to the same...and I've been here over 2.5 years and this is nothing new. You can believe that it's just a few, but it's not...it's the overwhelming majority...keto is some kind of religion I think, not a diet.
  • owngoal64
    owngoal64 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm genuinely interested in the replies to this, as I have the same questions.
    The replies are usually riddles that dance around the subject, but never actually state a simple yes or no answer.
    I hope the smart *kitten* don't come in and derail this thread :confounded:

I am a smart *kitten* but unfortunately I can't derail this thread because I am also a CICO kind-of guy :-)

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    All I know is that when I keep carbs under 20% and fats 50+% my blood work is better than at any other time. Low LDL, Low triglycerides Lower total cholesterol. and below border line A1C.
    So for me, LCHF is a matter of heart/blood sugar health.
    LCHF is also recommended for type 2 diabetics. Avoids unnecessary pharmaceutical use.
    I was borderline. But not anymore.
    Granted there are some who say low carb is <10%.
    I don't judge what works for people.
    Everyone is different. There is no one single formula that works for everyone. Though Bureaucrats in government certainly do pretend that is true. That is why Moochelle's mandate school lunch is such a major failure.
  • MelRC117
    edited March 2015
    Options

ummm he was quoting someone that made that claim ...

or did you miss that part...

I do see that but again, from one person with one post. But then it turns into everybody who eats keto.

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

CICO still applies, however you have a medical condition and now restrict with lower carbs. You are still eating at a caloric deficit.